Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most disappointing game for you in 2023 and why: Share you thoughts

Kiste

Augur
Hogwarts Legacy. They did a beautiful job at painstakingly recreating the setting and then they wasted it on some of the most inane, soul-numbing UbiSoft-style Open World checklist gameplay I've seen in years.

It also wasn't the TERF trans genocide simulator all those tranny activists have been promising us, though I did end up genociding the one tranny in the game by using that mod that replaces his voice with a feminine AI voice.

9ted6

Educated
BG3. Not that I was ever looking forward to it or anything Larian shits out but it's disappointing because the overwhelmingly positive reception to what amounts to an SJW sex game means that every notable CRPG for at least the next decade is going to copy it. It was watching a dying genre keel over and immediately start rotting.

Hagashager

Educated
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. I did not buy it, but in a way that makes me feel worse. A friend who is much less financially stable than me insisted on getting me a Birthday gift, when I said it wasn't necessary he went and got me ToTK anyway.

ToTK was boring and disjointed. I loved BOTW, but TOTK lasted all of 2 hours for me. I have to go back to it, but the little time I gave it felt like eating oatmeal without any sugar or milk.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
It was probably silly to be hyped enough for it to be disappointed in the first place but Starfield. I am a little bit of a Bethestard in that I have enjoyed even the Bethesda games that are objectively not that good, but I couldn't finish the main questline of Starfield. Some of the side quests are genuinely fun but not fun enough to justify how bland the main story is and the combination of loading screens and the lifelessness of the planets themselves ruined the part of the Bethesda games I like the most, being able to stumble across something new that gives you a different perspective on the world by running in a random direction for a while.

KafkaBot

Scholar
World of Horror. It is a good game - great, even, if you're in the mood for its brand of gameplay and aesthetics - but it still feels like there's a lot missing there (we don't even have an Scenario Mode yet). In a sense, it is still very much an Early Access game, so I can't help but feel like this premature release was nothing more than a cash grab.

Hopefully mods and further development will allow it to reach its full potential, but I'm not holding my breath - the dev isn't exactly known for being quick.

Lots of people mentioned Colony Ship, but I've enjoyed it so far. Admittedly, I'm still fairly early on, so we'll see what happens when I reach the point in which the quality supposedly starts to dip.

Azdul

Magister
They overdid it with CPU and GPU requirements, and while only high income are likely to pay for games, and high income also have money to keep their HW up to task. The game had shitty story, average graphic, weird fetish for black people, and the one of few interesting things was exploration.
You are on the wrong platform. PCs were always like that. I would argue that it was even worse during Origin heyday.

Embrace
Jack_Tramiel_1928_2012.png

In 2023 there was not a single bland corporate cashgrab released. Every title was made by passionate people for the love of it.

I must admit that some 2023 titles require new modern, fancy model released in 1985 with 128 kB. But you can usually buy cartridge version of the game - that also work on 1979 ones.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
BG3.

Man, BG3 was a rollercoaster.

I went from being dismissive, amused, captivated, disgusted, angry, disappointed, disgusted, confused, bored and disgusted all in one run.

I'll admit, somewhere during the second act, I was sweating bullets that Larian actually might have pulled off the best RPG made in the past decade or so, even in the face of a poor ruleset and unbearable characters.

Thank god they crashed and burned so hard in Act 3 that now I get to be dismissive again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Diablo 4 for sure. I expected nothing and I was still disappointed. I didn't buy it because there was no game there worth that money.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. I did not buy it, but in a way that makes me feel worse. A friend who is much less financially stable than me insisted on getting me a Birthday gift, when I said it wasn't necessary he went and got me ToTK anyway.

ToTK was boring and disjointed. I loved BOTW, but TOTK lasted all of 2 hours for me. I have to go back to it, but the little time I gave it felt like eating oatmeal without any sugar or milk.
I'm having this exact problem playing it. The game feels far too controlling compared to BOTW. After you clear an hour long tutorial you're given strict directions to take. Needing 4 shrines to upgrade health or stamina when shrines feel pretty rare is annoying. And I'm really hating the new mechanics. They're all really niche or annoying to deal with. I don't want to have to constantly build shit or scavenge for bomb flowers. It feels like they saw BOTW and said how do we tame it and make the player less able to do things. They took away so much freedom and replaced it with constant wooden blocks you can glue together but no way to power the damn vehicle you make. It wants to be a game like Cargo but requiring energy and fans to make your wheels spin is just bad game design.

I want to like it but I can't and it feels frustrating to play. I want to run around, find shrines and find ways to solve them MY way. But everything is so specific and your abilities are so niche there's nothing to claim as your own any more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom