Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most disappointing game for you in 2023 and why: Share you thoughts

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
For me, it is Colony ship.

Not even talking about political stance taken by developers, Vince and Iron tower studios (they actively #stood-for-Urine, and did not find it political, but after Israel agression towards Palestine they started banning for "politics").

Game itself is just simply bad. Second part is rushed and boring, very few content there, mostly teleport-talk-teleport type of gameplay. Loot is boring, all NPCs are quest dispensers, all sides are Hollywood-type villains.

And what game dissapointed you most in 2023?

Falksi

Arcane
Super Mario RPG. Christ the hype for this game on mainstream social media was huge, another "BeSt rPg EvAr!!!"" amongst normies. One Nintendo Over 30's group was going through the roof about it, so I made sure to ask plenty of them "You SURE that this isn't nostalgia or brand loyalty talking? You genuinely think that Super Mario RPG is the best game ever for people over 30?" and the response was a resounding "Yes, it's amazing...best RPG ever!" from some quarters.

Wasn't awful, but was completely mid. Nice and charming, interesting for a handful of hours, but than after a couple of hours that wears off and you have to either have a huge hard on for Mario or be stuck at beginner level RPG-ing to get much more from it. Incredible anyone would even consider it as the greatest RPG ever.

Beans00

Augur
Super Mario RPG. Christ the hype for this game on mainstream social media was huge, another "BeSt rPg EvAr!!!"" amongst normies. One Nintendo Over 30's group was going through the roof about it, so I made sure to ask plenty of them "You SURE that this isn't nostalgia or brand loyalty talking? You genuinely think that Super Mario RPG is the best game ever for people over 30?" and the response was a resounding "Yes, it's amazing...best RPG ever!" from some quarters.

Wasn't awful, but was completely mid. Nice and charming, interesting for a handful of hours, but than after a couple of hours that wears off and you have to either have a huge hard on for Mario or be stuck at beginner level RPG-ing to get much more from it. Incredible anyone would even consider it as the greatest RPG ever.

I consider mario rpg the best or 2nd best JRPG ever made.

Haven't played it since I was around 10 or 11.

Falksi

Arcane

Which I can totally understand. As a JRPG for younglings or beginners it's got a lot to offer. But when grown adults over 30 were telling me it's better than stuff like Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex, Yakuza etc. I had to give my head a wobble.

Beans00

Augur
SA8ERyG.jpg

Still have the cart, not sure where the manual is.

Beans00

Augur

Which I can totally understand. As a JRPG for younglings or beginners it's got a lot to offer. But when grown adults over 30 were telling me it's better than stuff like Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex, Yakuza etc. I had to give my head a wobble.

Not really comparing it to PC rpgs. There's probably a dozen or more games I would play before mario rpg.

We got mario RPG after the snes lifecycle ended probably in 98 or 99. By that time I was already playing some games on emulators, JRPG's worked best with a keyboard so I played a lot of those. Comparing mario rpg to garbage like breath of fire 1/2 or some of the other junk on snes/genesis/nes there's no comparison. One has zero respect for the players time, while mario rpg doesn't bog you down with dozens of hours of bullshit.

Only thing I remember pissing me off in mario rpg was the platforming sections. People can complain it's too easy but again it's not like squaresoft made remotely difficult games to begin with. I don't see how mario rpg is any easier then final fantasy 6 for example and people endlessly jerk off to that game.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Once again I played almost no games released during the past year. All I played was Jagged Alliance 3, which was excellent, and Baldur's Gate 3, which was OK. JA3 wildly surpassed my expectations and BG3 met them, just about, so that's zero for two on disappointments.

Falksi

Arcane

Not really comparing it to PC rpgs. There's probably a dozen or more games I would play before mario rpg.

We got mario RPG after the snes lifecycle ended probably in 98 or 99. By that time I was already playing some games on emulators, JRPG's worked best with a keyboard so I played a lot of those. Comparing mario rpg to garbage like breath of fire 1/2 or some of the other junk on snes/genesis/nes there's no comparison. One has zero respect for the players time, while mario rpg doesn't bog you down with dozens of hours of bullshit.

Only thing I remember pissing me off in mario rpg was the platforming sections. People can complain it's too easy but again it's not like squaresoft made remotely difficult games to begin with. I don't see how mario rpg is any easier then final fantasy 6 for example and people endlessly jerk off to that game.
Yeah, fair shout, although it's a far cry though from "better than wank like Breath of Fire 1/2" to "best RPG ever". If it'd been hyped as "Decent, charming game for starter gamers" then I wouldn't have been expecting so much from it.

Modron

Arcane
Let's see current year releases I've completed:
  • Colony Ship
  • Caves of Lore
  • Dead Monarchy
  • Dreams in the Witch House
  • Repella Fella
  • Heads Will Roll Reforged
  • Jagged Alliance 3
  • Like a Dragon: Ishin!
  • Punch Club 2
Yeah I wasn't disappointed by any of that, still going to try to bang out Space Wreck and Like a Dragon Gaiden before the year ends. That or maybe getting around to playing The Crew since I got it free years ago and Ubisoft is going to kill it in what 3 months time.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
didn't expect anything, was not disappointed

I had no idea what Starfield even was about when I started playing as I have not watched any trailers or anything like that. Had a great time.

For BG3 I already knew what it was going to be, but I was actually pleasantly surprised that it turned out this good. Still rubs me off the wrong way with all the sex but that's a personal issue.

Jagged Alliance 3 was exactly what it said on the tin. Solid game, not much to say about it.

Cyberpunk 2.0, never actually made it to the DLC content as I got bored before I could get that far, but yeah, an improved Cyberpunk, poles love it.

Have not played any other games released in 2023 despite playing a lot this year. Mostly older titles.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I hate to say it, but Colony Ship seems kind of uninspired - considering the possibilities that the setting offers. Feels like the devs were sick and tired of working on it for several years. Maybe in some way they are glad that they don't have to produce any more RPGs if this one doesn't sell well.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wasn't really let down by anything, but Colony Ship and Shadow Gambit both felt like they missed a few opportunities. It's been a year mostly of nice surprises, games that I thought I wouldn't like based on past experiences with the studios/series but ended up enjoying (BG3, Diablo 4, Rogue Trader) and games that came out of nowhere and were really good (JA3, Wizordum, Trepang2, etc).

Mandatory mention of Starfield; I thought it was okay, even good in parts, and I enjoyed playing it but it's clearly the end for Todd-era Bethesda. The universal consensus is that the magic has gone and hasn't been there for over a decade now, and unless they pull off something amazing for TES VI - which I don't really think they're capable of doing anymore - then it's the end of an era.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Mandatory mention of Starfield; I thought it was okay, even good in parts, and I enjoyed playing it but it's clearly the end for Todd-era Bethesda. The universal consensus is that the magic has gone and hasn't been there for over a decade now, and unless they pull off something amazing for TES VI - which I don't really think they're capable of doing anymore - then it's the end of an era.
it was a good run

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Wasn't really let down by anything, but Colony Ship and Shadow Gambit both felt like they missed a few opportunities. It's been a year mostly of nice surprises, games that I thought I wouldn't like based on past experiences with the studios/series but ended up enjoying (BG3, Diablo 4, Rogue Trader) and games that came out of nowhere and were really good (JA3, Wizordum, Trepang2, etc).

What did you like about Diablo 4?

Viata

Arcane
Super Mario RPG
When I first played this game many years ago, I found it amazing. Too many funny moments, for example. I didn't expect gold and I was glad it was not iron, at least. I have no idea how it would be like to play this game now but it's extremely rare for me to dislike a game I loved to play before, so I'll probably find it good again.

9 Childs Street is a piece of shit, especially considering it's a direct follow-up to From the Darkness, from the same developer.

From the Darkness is a very short game, almost like a tech demo, but it's EXTREMELY CREEPY for what it is!

9 Childs Street is about the same length, ~ 1-2 hours long, but it's not creepy at all and every other aspect sucks too.

Another game I didn't like at all is Amnesia: The Bunker... It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking hard!

The monster is pretty creepy, but the setting is extremely dull, boring, and unintersting.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't really have any clear major letdowns this year.

World of Horror - Still no adventure mode. The dentist making this game clearly ran out of enthusiasm. Also, the constant feeling of "Man, I wish this was a proper game".
Armikrog - It's... eh... fine. I guess.
Baldur's Gate 3 - I enjoyed it overall, but... wow. I was not prepared for how bad the writing can get in this game. I thought I was... but I wasn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom