Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most disappointing game for you in 2023 and why: Share you thoughts

Rodcocker

Arbiter
Resident Evil 4 Remake. Possibly the only full price game I bought this year, and I barely made it a third of the way through.

Hard to say why. Too much hype? Too high expectations? I've never played the original, but I think I understand some of the criticism of it lacking the character of the original. It just felt really lifeless to me. The combat was good, but I just didn't care to find out what happens next. All those goofy loot side quests were really immersion breaking too.

I'll probably finish it at some point - but meh.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In April 2021, I wrote of Baldur's Gate 3:
Reasons BG3 is good:
  • If it succeeds, it will forever overshadow the Bioware BG games
  • If it fails, it will tarnish the Bioware BG games by association

I prefer to think of BG3 as a win/win situation. :greatjob:
In July 2023, it was revealed that Larian was intent on ensuring the name "Baldur's Gate" will forever be associated with bear-buggery, so really BG3 vastly exceeded my expectations.

bg3tzf2t.png

baldur's gay 3, not on objective value but on hype bought. it was introduced as the best thing since man invented pussy, instead it's just a giant budgeted but overall worse divine divinity 3.
starfield, because daaaaamn, please kill yourself. with 15 years and unlimited budget i could shit a better game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Baldur's Gate 3, most definitely.

I had zero experience with Larian writing so i had no idea what i was getting into. The fact the game has some good elements makes it even worse.

Modron

Arcane
Oh this isn't for 2023 releases exclusively? I'll say Dragon Climax then, it was super cheap so I didn't look that closely at it when I bought it thinking it was an indie take on Double Dragon rather than just a single attack only sidescroller. Wasn't bad just disappointing. Suppose I should include the latest Midnight Scenes game for having an effete gay kid as the protagonist. I tried that Wings! Remastered Edition since it was ultra cheap and while it wasn't a terrible game it just went on for far too long, I don't think I was even halfway through the heavily repetitious campaign after 5 hours.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I hate to say it, but Colony Ship seems kind of uninspired - considering the possibilities that the setting offers. Feels like the devs were sick and tired of working on it for several years. Maybe in some way they are glad that they don't have to produce any more RPGs if this one doesn't sell well.

It is clear that first half of game is of much better quality, have more content and more fun-per-minute factor than second half.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Starfield would be second honorary mention after Colony Ship.
How they could have so many resources, money, people and release game like Starfield? Why are they paying all those people? To do nothing and imitate work?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Disappointed by BG3 (dumbed down ruleset), Colony Ship (just average in a bad way), and Rogue Trader (they learned nothing from Pathfinder)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's a toss-up between BG3 and Starfield.

Both games are poisonous agitprop made by communists to deconstruct and subvert this hobby. I was deeply saddened to see both Sven and Todd sign off on such diseased junk.

No one ever expected Starfield to be good so you cannot be disappointed

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I seen at least one game that had problems. Starfield. They overdid it with CPU and GPU requirements, and while only high income are likely to pay for games, and high income also have money to keep their HW up to task. The game had shitty story, average graphic, weird fetish for black people, and the one of few interesting things was exploration. Well until exploration lost its charm.

I expected interesting trainwreck like FO3, or FO:NV. Instead I saw something that was not only underperforming, but also was underperforming while it had insane HW requirements.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Age of Wonders 4. It leaves a reasonably decent first impression and then quickly devolves into samey feeling trash. Even with the DLCs that released that might have helped address some of that (lol), I haven't been able to muster the desire to reinstall it even though I've been on a bit of a strategy kick lately.

Runner up is Against the Storm which had an interesting premise yet managed to be pretty dull and have no combat, despite having a premise that would lend itself well to armed conflict.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Armored Core 6. While it was in the pre-release hype cycle I was initially super excited for it, then started to feel worried and betrayed as more info came out. People playing early demos and such online kept up the 'no it's totally just like classic AC, it amazing' bullshit. By the time it released I knew it was basically going to be Dark Souls With Guns but decided to give it a try anyways, as I wouldn't mind that in principle, even if it's a total waste of the franchise. And that's pretty much what it was. It wasn't even particularly good as darksouls with guns though, due to a lack of enemy and mission variety, terrible balance and weapon variety, and generally just throwing lore, atmosphere and realism out the window for the sake of streamlined gameplay and Miyazaki's personal fetish for surprise kills. It's not a bad game, but it's such a massive waste of potential. Honestly probably won't even bother with the franchise going forward, it's clearly never going back to it's roots again. Will hope for a spiritual successor from somewhere else.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Put me in the "Didn't expect anything, therefore not disappointed"-crowd.

That only applies to the gaming industry, per se. Once we get to the hobby-side of it and take a look at the mods, I come out overall pleased as a few mods totally blew my expectations away.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
From the ones I've played: BG3
From the ones I didn't play: Lords of the Fallen
From the ones I don't care: Starfield

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hero's adventure : Road to Passion.
It is by all looks a solid game, jsut not one for me.

Gargaune

Magister
Baldur's Gate 3 over its horrible controls and interfaces. It wasn't exactly a surprise, since it became apparent Larian just didn't care about the EA feedback on the subject, but it was still a major disappointment. I ended up playing a few hours, got nowhere near as far as I did in the EA even, before I grew tired. Maybe some other time.

As for Starfield, also disappointed but without having played it. A Bethesda game in space without any proper space exploration, not even flying between planets and their satellites. What a bizarre design blunder, should've called it Low Orbitfield. Mass Effect with procgen planet instances isn't what I wanted or expected from Todd.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Ghostrunner 2: I love the first game and for whatever reason the developers decided to add a lot of things which the game didn't need in the sequel. Now, the sequel is inferior to the original game. Very sad. If you're interested, see my post here for more details.

I wasn't disappointed in Diablo 3, Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield because I knew that these would be shit which honestly wasn't that hard to predict.

Last edited:
Baldur's Gate 3, most definitely.

I had zero experience with Larian writing so i had no idea what i was getting into. The fact the game has some good elements makes it even worse.

Ah, Larian writing... To read Larian writing in a game is like pleasuring yourself with a cactus while 2 crocodiles are trying to save themselves from being carried away in a waterfall by clamping down on your gonads, while a 50 year old Brittney Spears screams in your ear in a voice ruined by 30 years of smoking and drugs about hitting her one more time.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Just to clarify, i do not think that Colony ship is bad game. It is mediocre game, that could be good.

And once again, it is not because Vince and developers went full woke-mode (stand with urine, pro-lgbt etc), but because they lost mojo to make good games. Sad, but true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom