Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most Replayed RPG of 2020 - Codex Survey

Dramart

Learned
Baldur's Gate II
Mass Effect

V_K

Arcane
I must say, this shapes to be a very interesting list - particularly interesting to compare it to the official top 101. The top 10-15 games of both lists seems mostly the same - although in drastically different order - but there's one big exception. Planescape: Torment, the game voted as the Codex's favorite over and over again is nowhere near the top of replayed games. Although I wouldn't separate original and EE the way it's done in the current list, even combined they only bring PST to nr. 16-23 (many games tied with 4 votes each).

SoupNazi

I must say, this shapes to be a very interesting list - particularly interesting to compare it to the official top 101. The top 10-15 games of both lists seems mostly the same - although in drastically different order - but there's one big exception. Planescape: Torment, the game voted as the Codex's favorite over and over again is nowhere near the top of replayed games. Although I wouldn't separate original and EE the way it's done in the current list, even combined they only bring PST to nr. 16-23 (many games tied with 4 votes each).
P:T leaves a lasting impression that catapults it towards the top of videogame experiences, but is barely replayable. I think it makes perfect sense.

V_K

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. If a game is no fun to replay - especially after so many years - that it essentially fails as a game, even if it excels as a story, or some other form or linear media.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. If a game is no fun to replay - especially after so many years - that it essentially fails as a game, even if it excels as a story, or some other form or linear media.
A videogame can easily be just a way to convey a story, and the long-lasting impact of that story can be more important than its replayability and the sheer amount of fun you can have with it.

SoupNazi

I don't think a videogame necessarily needs to be replayable.

V_K

Arcane
I don't think a videogame necessarily needs to be replayable.
What differs games from linear media is gameplay and interactivity. If gameplay is good, then the game is fundamentally replayable - not necessarily right away, you might want to let a couple of years pass for the systems to feel new again - but the possibility is always there. Even a puzzle game that doesn't allow any variation in how you solve it can be fun to replay once you've forgotten most of the solution.
A videogame can easily be just a way to convey a story
Sure, but if that's the case - if gameplay doesn't matter and interactivity at the very least doesn't affect the story - in other words, if it doesn't make use of what makes a game a game - then it's a clear symptom that it would have been better off as a book or a movie.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was sure this is a better indicator of "best game of this year according to the Codex" than a poll which limits us to the current year releases. The value increases if it's held annually and the trends are followed, but ultimately it's just meta information about the evolution of the Codex' preferences. Not very useful to anyone outside and only fulfilling a curiousity for those within the Codex.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think that's the purpose of the periodically held Codex top 100, 75 etc polls. They just don't give you the picture year by year.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sure,but goty is a different thing. It is about the best game that came out this year,not the most played game. It is just different thing. If you this kind of a poll every year,you will see that the results are pretty much the same. There is a handful of good rpgs that people just replay periodically.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Sure,but goty is a different thing. It is about the best game that came out this year,not the most played game. It is just different thing. If you this kind of a poll every year,you will see that the results are pretty much the same. There is a handful of good rpgs that people just replay periodically.
True. And that's why Disco became RPGOTY in 2019. It wasn't the most played, but it was the best. :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
True. And that's why Disco became RPGOTY in 2019. It wasn't the most played, but it was the best. :smug:
Yes,disco won both polls. Can't wait for the expansion or what ever it is. It will be a fun replay.

Funposter

Arcane
Morrowind (twice)
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oblivion (BIG mistake!)
Dark Souls 3

I think I've spent more time building and painting Warhammer this year than playing video games.

In approximate order of which I played the most.

Extensively:

- Kenshi

- M&B: Warband (only total conversion mods: TLD, La Independencia de Chile and Brytenwalda)

- Ravenloft: Stone Prophet

- Morrowind (mostly on TR)

Played a lot:

- Birthright

- Underrail

- Menzoberranzam

- Dark Sun: SL

- M&M III

- Daggerfall

Only a bit:

- Ultima Underworld II

- RoA: Shadows over Riva

- Knights of the Chalice

- Arx Fatalis

- M&M VI

- The Quest (Islands of Ice and Fire expansion).

- Ultima V (Dungeon Siege mod)

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sure, but if that's the case - if gameplay doesn't matter and interactivity at the very least doesn't affect the story - in other words, if it doesn't make use of what makes a game a game - then it's a clear symptom that it would have been better off as a book or a movie.
I get what you are saying, but come on, you know deep down that's not true, especially in the case of P:T. Simply being allowed to experience the story in first-person makes everything feel more personal: I don't think that everything you uncover about your companions and your role in their past would have had the same effect on me if experienced through a book or a movie. I think that especially applies to your interaction with characters like Deionarra, Morte, Dak'kon, Vhailor, Ravel, and Trias.

And even if your journey always plays out the same, you can make small decisions here and there that let you shape your character: those small decisions are important even if they don't really add replayability, and you wouldn't get those with other types of media.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Think about how this compares to other media. Apocalypse Now is widely regarded as one of the greatest films ever, but do you feel like rewatching it every year? I don't. Novels like Don Quixote and The Brothers Karamazov are brilliant and worth reading at least once, but you probably wouldn't want to reread them all the time either.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Think about how this compares to other media. Apocalypse Now is widely regarded as one of the greatest films ever, but do you feel like rewatching it every year? I don't. Novels like Don Quixote and The Brothers Karamazov are brilliant and worth reading at least once, but you probably wouldn't want to reread them all the time either.

PST is definitely one of those games I wish I could forget so I could experience fresh all over again.

I still replay it from time to time (as I did this year), but it doesn't keep the same impact.

curds

Magister
Okay. Here's mine:

Oblivion
Morrowind
Skyrim (Requiem)
Arcanum
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Chalice
Dragon Age: Origins
Planescape: Torment

That's all I can think of for now. I played dozens, but these are the replays that I actually stuck with, at least a good deal of the way through.

V_K

Arcane
I've already addressed that in replies to others. There is a fundamental difference between linear media and interactive media.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom