Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mr Yaourt's Space Sims Let's Play |Part one : IW2 (update 1)

Monsieur Yaourt

Educated
Hello dear codexians.

Today I bought a joystick, because I remembered how awesome space simulation games are. Unfortunately, when I sat in front of my computer, my joystick unpacked, the game of my choice in my hands, I realised that one of the cd was missing. I quickly found a solution. God, thank you GOG!

So gentlemen, I'm proud to present you one of my favourite game :
1279239224.jpg

*fap fap fap*

(yes, French stuff. It's not bad finally for the missing cd. Less work for me from translating, less WTF? from you)

But before the playing, I would like to ask if any of you know if there are essential mods for this game. From this list I'll take all the Particle Sytems stuff. This website contains lots of mods. I need the codex wisdom here. Future trader and iFleet in Tune ups category seem interesting. If I get no answer, I'll start with whatever sounds good.

Sgizo

Educated
I'm very interested. Still haven't gotten around to playing this. Looking forward to it!

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
I played the fuck out of this game when I got it, still love it. Haven't played it in a while, Just no time.

Some of the mods I used and recommend:

MP3 player
Location finder plus (filters navigation data into very organized categories. Makes selecting a destination far easier than clunking through the starcharts)
Future Trader (slightly alters how much you get from recycling and lets you dock at stations and buy and sell things. Makes getting the ship upgrades you want much easier)
and a few others for glitch fixing and general optimizations.

Angthoron

Arcane
DraQ said:
Angthoron said:
I-War 2 is awesome.
I found it merely good. A lot of good stuff, but plagued with stunning amounts of horrid design and various forms of stupidity.

Really? What sort? It was about the only recent space "sim" that I enjoyed, X series just force me to uninstall thanks to being completely soulless. There was some silly stuff there, that's granted, though. Like the colliding spaceships at L-points, heh.

DraQ

Arcane
Angthoron said:
DraQ said:
Angthoron said:
I-War 2 is awesome.
I found it merely good. A lot of good stuff, but plagued with stunning amounts of horrid design and various forms of stupidity.

Really? What sort?
Most of them have been summed up here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=899307

but also:
DraQ said:
The model was Newtonian, but the design was plagued with non-Newtonian thinking.

You had no gravity or orbital movement resulting in single absolute frame of reference, inertialess stutterdrive for in-system flight reducing this Newtonian flight to a gimmick (and in-system travel times to minutes), given that 'da police' could order you to stop in mid-system, AI utterly failed at coping with Newtonian mechanics (switch flight assist off, accelerate to several thousand m/s, laugh your ass off watching AI repeatedly failing at catching up with your now inert craft) and velocity meter that was useless (not accounting for lateral speed) and didn't work above 9999m/s.

It also had irksome things like terribad system map and random and unrelated tutti-frutti backgrounds in different systems in a single star cluster.

It wasn't a bad game, and things like it's shield mechanics (more like turreted active defence), varied missiles, trading, most of the fluff, and heat/CPU management were pretty cool, on the other hand things like terribad controls (luckily redefinable by .ini edition), bad hud, retarded stealth (even ignoring the whole 'no stealth in space' thing, stealth while well within visual range of enemy craft is just plain wrong and confusing), autorepair worse than health-regen in modern shooters and including damaged systems, plus all the shit mentioned earlier really dragged it down.
here.

It was about the only recent space "sim" that I enjoyed, X series just force me to uninstall thanks to being completely soulless. There was some silly stuff there, that's granted, though. Like the colliding spaceships at L-points, heh.
How about Frontier sub-series?

Angthoron

Arcane
DraQ said:
Angthoron said:
DraQ said:
Angthoron said:
I-War 2 is awesome.

Really? What sort?
Most of them have been summed up here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=899307

but also:
DraQ said:
The model was Newtonian, but the design was plagued with non-Newtonian thinking.

You had no gravity or orbital movement resulting in single absolute frame of reference, inertialess stutterdrive for in-system flight reducing this Newtonian flight to a gimmick (and in-system travel times to minutes), given that 'da police' could order you to stop in mid-system, AI utterly failed at coping with Newtonian mechanics (switch flight assist off, accelerate to several thousand m/s, laugh your ass off watching AI repeatedly failing at catching up with your now inert craft) and velocity meter that was useless (not accounting for lateral speed) and didn't work above 9999m/s.

It also had irksome things like terribad system map and random and unrelated tutti-frutti backgrounds in different systems in a single star cluster.

It wasn't a bad game, and things like it's shield mechanics (more like turreted active defence), varied missiles, trading, most of the fluff, and heat/CPU management were pretty cool, on the other hand things like terribad controls (luckily redefinable by .ini edition), bad hud, retarded stealth (even ignoring the whole 'no stealth in space' thing, stealth while well within visual range of enemy craft is just plain wrong and confusing), autorepair worse than health-regen in modern shooters and including damaged systems, plus all the shit mentioned earlier really dragged it down.
here.

It was about the only recent space "sim" that I enjoyed, X series just force me to uninstall thanks to being completely soulless. There was some silly stuff there, that's granted, though. Like the colliding spaceships at L-points, heh.
How about Frontier sub-series?

A-ha, thanks. I played it heavily modded by friend's recommendations (he actually went and burned me a CD with all the mods he thought I should have) so I think that saved me from some of the things you've mentioned. I do admit that I'm not all that experienced with space flight games though so I could easily have overlooked some of the bigger issues by not knowing they exist.

And I'll check out Frontier, was planning to for a long time - as soon as I get my hands on that, that is. Any recommendations in particular?

Monsieur Yaourt

Educated
FUCK YEAH LET'S PLAY !

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

Narrator: They came, just like they came to every frontier mankind has ever had. Men women and children left the safety of home, and came to the cruellest edge of space.

1004.jpg

Narrator: They came looking for opportunity, a chance to make it be, a lucky strike. Engineers, traders and miners came in their thousands to a new place where just a little hardship would earn them a better life.

1005.jpg

Narrator: But here, on the very rim of known space, justice is a long way way.

1006.jpg

1007.jpg

1008.jpg

1009.jpg

1010.jpg

1011.jpg

1012.jpg

1013.jpg

1014.jpg

cal.jpg
Hey watch it!

1015.jpg

felix.jpg
Sorry Cal I must be getting old.
felix.jpg
You look pretty fast in your old age.
cal.jpg
Ahah. Very funny.

1016.jpg

felix.jpg
Oh, look at that, I've lost the drill bit again, I gonna have to burn it out. Could you fix me the lance?
cal.jpg
Hmm... ok.

1017.jpg

cal.jpg
We've got plenty more bits. Why don't you install another one? It'll take ages to take that one out.
felix.jpg
I can't afford to leave it here.

1018.jpg

cal.jpg
Done!
felix.jpg
Thanks. That should do the trick.

1019.jpg

felix.jpg
Cal, get yourself back home before it gets too busy.
cal.jpg
But I want to stay and help out!
felix.jpg
You've been a big help but I'm just about to finish now.
felix.jpg
Anyway it's your birthday and all... well you never know what might be waiting for you.
cal.jpg
Ohh so you have got me something. What is it?
felix.jpg
Go home and you'll see. Anyhow I've got some blast to do, I need you out of the way.
cal.jpg
Ok. Thanks dad. I'll see you later.

1020.jpg

1021.jpg

1022.jpg

felix.jpg
*sigh* I just hope you two get along.

1023.jpg

1024.jpg

1025.jpg

1026.jpg

1027.jpg

1028.jpg

1029.jpg

1030.jpg

1031.jpg

1032.jpg

1033.jpg

1034.jpg

1035.jpg

caleb.jpg
Good day mister Johnston, it's Caleb Maas. I believe we have an unfinished business.
cal.jpg
Caleb who?
caleb.jpg
This vessel is registered to a mister Felix Johnston.
cal.jpg
Oh. That'd be my dad. He's down the mine base.

1036.jpg

cal.jpg
You're welcome...

1037.jpg

1038.jpg

1039.jpg

1040.jpg

1041.jpg

1042.jpg

1043.jpg

1044.jpg

1045.jpg

1046.jpg

cal.jpg
Weird.

1047.jpg

cal.jpg
Waw!

1048.jpg

clay.jpg
Ahhh... Mister Cal Johnston I presume. What are you doing on your backside? Well boy do you speak?

... in my mind, this picture.

1049.jpg

cal.jpg
Of course I can speak. Who are you?
clay.jpg
Well, let me introduce myself. My name is Jefferson Clay. I was born more than two hundred years ago. It was your father final wish —rest his soul— that...
cal.jpg
What you mean final wish? You're talking like he's dead or something. Look. If this is some kind of joke, that is not very funny! I've just left my dad back at the mine base... he said...
clay.jpg
Cal! Damn it.

1050.jpg

1051.jpg

1052.jpg

1053.jpg

1054.jpg

caleb.jpg
Mister Johnston. I've thought I'd come and pay you a visit.

1055.jpg

felix.jpg
Hi Caleb. I'm surprised that you do this sort of work yourself.
caleb.jpg
Well in your case I'm making an exception. Our loan records say that we haven't received the payment from you for... three months. Where's my money Felix?

1056.jpg

felix.jpg
Maas, we've been here before. I've paid for this ship ten times over. The matter is closed. Now if you don't mind, I've got a job to do.
caleb.jpg
I am sorry to say I had anticipated this response. On this situation we have very clear instructions to... close your account.
caleb.jpg
Okay, take him down.

1057.jpg

felix.jpg
What I thought you'd say

1058.jpg

1059.jpg

1060.jpg

1061.jpg

1062.jpg

1063.jpg

1064.jpg

1065.jpg

Armed.

1066.jpg

cal.jpg
Dad! I'm in there!

1067.jpg

1068.jpg

1069.jpg

felix.jpg
Sorry son.

1070.jpg

Please clear the area

1071.jpg

(Felix' ship destroyed by Caleb's rockets)

1072.jpg

*satisfied bad guy look*

1073.jpg

Warning! Warning! Warning!

1074.jpg

caleb.jpg
Wuuut?
cal.jpg
Dad, can you hear me??

1075.jpg

1076.jpg

1077.jpg

1078.jpg

1079.jpg

cal.jpg
NOOOOOOOOO!

1080.jpg

1081.jpg

Narrator: My father died, and took some gangsters down with him. Hoffer's Gap had itself a new orphan.

1082.jpg

Narrator: But that wasn't so unusual. Like any other frontier town the only guy who made a regular living was the undertaker.

1083.jpg

Narrator: He left me Clay as a sort of a tutor. He was one hell of a lousy baby-sitter.

2001.jpg

Another vid!

2002.jpg

2003.jpg

2004.jpg

2005.jpg

2006.jpg

2007.jpg

2008.jpg

2009.jpg

2010.jpg

2011.jpg

2012.jpg

2013.jpg

And thus the game begins.

2014.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
:salute:
MOAR!

Soon you will have to face some competition in LPing simulations. Just you wait, mah boy!

:smug:

Cassidy

Arcane
Some of the missions are quite rage-worthy. As in being almost there, then *boom* and because you can only save in your base and later it'll become inconveniently distant, you get the idea.

Show us your experiences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom