Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MW2 has the best mission ever

MetalCraze

Arcane
Me? Pseudo-philosophical? Sheek it's you who is baawwing on all pages of this thread how not taking games too seriously is immoral. I'm just having fun watching how morons can't find a single proof to back up their claims other than "omg you are a sick fuck" and "graphics in Carmageddon is worse!!1"

Nostradumbass said:
LOL YEAH BROS CANT U SEE THERES LOADS OF BLUD AND GUTS AND THATS TOTALLY VIOLENT. NOPE, NOT AT ALL HILARIOUS FROM THE WAY ITS OVERDONE.

So guts are hillarious that are as overdone as f.e. 82 people hit by falling Su-27 to death with their limbs and heads flying off in real life? Seriously who is a sick fuck here?

Nostradumbass

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Did you just prove my point?

no, you just proved the point that you're an assburgers sufferer who cant tell the difference between whoring for shock value (LOL COMICALLY OVERBLOWN GORE) and whoring for genuine reactions over something realistic.

protip: people are more likely to be disgusted by something realistic, and anything comical/over the top will simply amuse them.

MetalCraze said:
So guts are hillarious that are as overdone as f.e. 82 people hit by falling Su-27 to death with their limbs and heads flying off in real life? Seriously who is a sick fuck here?

no, retard. its not because theres gore and guts that its comical, its because the gore and guts are OVERDONE just like the rest of the violence. seeing gore and guts in real life, is of course sick. hint: people dont blast into loads of tiny little giblets when they're run over by a car, though it isn't pretty either.

real life:

crash.jpg

a-car-plows-into-a-parade-that-included-queen-beatrix-and-the-royal-family-on-the-national-queens-day-holiday-in-the-dutch-city-of-apeldoorn-april-30-2009.jpg

30netherlands600.jpg

47296d1241089776-7-dead-when-car-drives-through-crowd-during-queensday-holland-new-footage-kdag433_gr.jpg

47309.thumb

the gruesomesr are few and far between, and they dont come close to..

carmaLOLgeddon:

carmageddon3.jpg

communicating with skyway is much like communicating with a baby: pictures are a must.

Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
This just about sums up the thread. Lonely nerds raging against figments of their imagination. At least you are honest enough to admit it you unlike Clockwork Knight and Skyrage who resort to gay pseudo-filosofikal argumentation.

I find it amusing you consider "both are games, doesn't matter if it's overdone or realistic" pseudo-filosofical. For me, it's a pretty simple statement that only dumbfucks wouldn't get.

Then again, it's sheek.

Nostradumbass said:

oh look, real people being run by cars. That's no laughing matter. Btw, I heard there's a game that gives you points for doing just that. That's very insensitive.

It's the action that matters, not how the results look. Carmaggedon incentives you to RUN OVER PEOPLE. It doesn't matter if there are ludicrous gibs, the game is telling you to take a car and run over people, i.e, sick fuckery for lulz. Yet, you're okay with that because lol it looks funny lol so that makes my sick enjoyment ok lol

No john, you are the sickfucks

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nostradumbass said:
no, you just proved the point that you're an assburgers sufferer who cant tell the difference between whoring for shock value (LOL COMICALLY OVERBLOWN GORE) and whoring for genuine reactions over something realistic.
I can tell this difference easily. I actually even repeated 3 times in this thread that the scene was done for shock value and as a marketing trick myself - you are trying too hard.
But I just can't see what the big deal is about.

protip: people are more likely to be disgusted by something realistic, and anything comical/over the top will simply amuse them.
Are you disgusted by GTA4?

no, retard. its not because theres gore and guts that its comical, its because the gore and guts are OVERDONE just like the rest of the violence. seeing gore and guts in real life, is of course sick.
My god who gives a shit if it's overdone.
Civilians scream for mercy while you kill them. They are unarmed and you are forced to kill them only for your own good and fun unlike in CoD6. Is this amusing? Answer me.

hint: people dont blast into loads of tiny little giblets when they're run over by a car, though it isn't pretty either.
No but a car can easily tear something apart from a human if you didn't know that. But of course they won't show you gore in "violent" games like CoD6. The dude's costume in the first screenshot isn't even covered in blood - it's like he's chilling in tomato sauce after a hard party-night or something and not a single wound - so much for "realism".

Clockwork Knight said:
It's the action that matters, not how the results look. Carmaggedon incentives you to RUN OVER PEOPLE. It doesn't matter if there are ludicrous gibs, the game is telling you to take a car and run over people, i.e, sick fuckery for lulz. Yet, you're okay with that because lol it looks funny lol so that makes my sick enjoyment ok lol

No john, you are the sickfucks

Yep Cloaked Fag is just a fucking hypocrite. I think the only reason why people bash CoD6 in this thread is because they think they will be get kool kodex kredits for bashing something. Not mentioning that he's trying so hard to copy Blobert which is unfunny fail in itself.

Morally Carmageddon is even worse if we go by their logic because CoD6 actually shows you that terrorists are bad fucktards while in Carmageddon killing harmless people is a-ok and you are getting a pat on the back for doing this (while in CoD6 you get a bullet) - yet they throw strawman about it having sprites instead of 3d models like CoD6 and petty insults.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
no, you cant tell the difference because you keep pointing at shit like carmageddon as if its worse (when its not, its just comical).

gta doesn't disgust me because it never said, here, go kill civilians. if i do it, its purely my own choice. mw2 doesnt disgust me either, i just cant stand people who are too stupid to admit or realize that its a lot more violent than other games because of the way its presented.

skyway said:
Civilians scream for mercy while you kill them. They are unarmed and you are forced to kill them only for your own good and fun unlike in CoD6. Is this amusing?

uh, no? no one shoots back except security forces. but whats amusing about shooting something thats no challenge? maybe it appeals to people on power trips.

and sure, for a dullard it might be amusing too. that is, if you havent ever done something like this in a flash game before. for the rest of us, its kind of worn out.

skyway said:
No but a car can easily tear something apart from a human if you didn't know that. But of course they won't show you gore in "violent" games like CoD6. The dude's costume in the first screenshot isn't even covered in blood - it's like he's chilling in tomato sauce after a hard party-night or something and not a single wound - so much for "realism".

orly, i had no idea! and how often does that happen? i hope its consistent with carmageddon's 100% gore garauntee.

few games show bullet/damage impacts on npc models because, technologically, its hard to do right depending on the game engine. this is true because whenever you find inanimate corpses in games like cod, theyre always modeled a lot more violently (blood on the clothes, etc) than when you shoot an interactive character.

perfect example is raven shield: the inanimate models of dead people you come across always have gore on them because that's how they were modelled, but active npcs dont have gore appear on them because that would mean the skin (technical term, not their "human skin") would have to change.. so they just have pools of blood, like in MW2.

skyway said:
Yep Cloaked Fag is just a fucking hypocrite. I think the only reason why people bash CoD6 in this thread is because they think they will be get kool kodex kredits for bashing something.

thats not nice to the real cloaked fag. hed take offense if i were impersonating him. its just an avatar. btw, your theory doesnt hold up, retard (as usual). i've actually praised mw2 in quite a few other threads, minus the part about dedicated servers and some retarded design choices, as well as the stupid story.

MetalCraze

Arcane
no, you cant tell the difference because you keep pointing at shit like carmageddon as if its worse (when its not, its just comical).

Carmageddon:
- kill harmless screaming people because otherwise you will fail a game
- you can win game just by killing civilians
- you are forced to kill them

CoD6:
- you are not forced to kill civilians
- game shows that killing civilians is bad and terrorists are a bunch of fucktards and underhumans
- you get a bullet by the end anyway aka 'justice' even if you stood by doing nothing
- you work for an organization of pricks and it showed like that

Carmageddon = funney!
CoD6 = immoral and sick!

Maybe you need to be an adult to see a difference like grown ups see it? Seriously, just grow up.

Nostradumbass said:
gta doesn't disgust me because it never said, here, go kill civilians.
CoD6 also doesn't force you to kill civilians, stupid. I just think you are butthurt because the game is 18+ and they won't sell it to you.

But oh it doesn't disgust you while it still contains the exactly same level of "realism" and you can kill harmless civilians if you wish? Grow up kid like seriously or stop being a hypocrite. And GTA says "kill haitians" which is like a hate speech against the whole nation. The main character of GTA is also a low-life prick who robs people, kills people, traffiks drugs and the game shows that it's cool and fun - yet this isn't disgusting to you?

Double standards don't help your point you know.

ever

Scholar
Nostradumbass.

Its quite clear that unless you appeal to extremely technical reasoning skyway will not be able to discern any difference in terms of human empathical connection with characters as portrayed in Carmageddon and Call of Duty 6.

I think earlier he asked something about the bit rate of the sounds or the resolution of the textures used.

To most people this really isn't a factor to their ability to form an emotional connection. You could use 1994 level technology and still be able to achieve the same kind of effect as in CoD6, if you developed characters, focused on facial expressions, used sound creatively to create the same atmosphere of panic and fear, took a serious tone throughout the game, showed off or gave allusions to the distress such violent actions may cause to real people, stuff like that.

Of course, high quality audio and visuals could add to it, but the effect of emotional attachment and creating a sense of empathy with a fictional experience has been achieved to the largest extent in the technically least rich form of data: text - text in books.

Now, I have been a teacher of all sorts of students for a long time and learning difficulties arise for many reasons. Sometimes a student is simply rebelling when he seems to have difficulty understanding something, other times its because they really do lack certain abilities you and I take for granted.

An inability to discern which of two things is more effective in creating an emotional attachment with the person interacting with it is usually a sign of autism. It is an especially distressing sign when the subject is only able to use highly technical usually quantifiable criteria as a means of being able to empathize or discern qualities attractive to any feelings of empathy. Skyway exhibits this behavior when he asks about bitrates and resolution textures and is baffled when concepts such as "over the top" or "serious tone" are concerned.

Either he is rebelling, or he simply does not see a difference between "over the top" and "serious" or he cannot even comprehend "over the top" and "serious"

A number of tests could be done to decide which of these it is. For example a simple receptive experiment might be conducted where he is shown an obviously over the top situation and an obviously serious situation and asked which represents which, or ask which would be better at generating a connection with the person witnessing the situation.

In any case it is best to leave such things to the experts. It is very difficult to engage in discussion with those who either experience serious difficulty with understanding certain things, and those who act in genuine malice simply to cause trouble and waste your time.

With this I recommend that you too stop talking to skyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
No I can't form emotional connections with a game because maybe I'm not a lifeless nerd and it's way more fun to form emotional connections to real people?

Seriously forming emotional connections with a game? Hahaha. This thread is so full of pitiful idiots. You are talking like those ff7 fanboys which cried when Aeris died.

It is also funny how you completely fail at reading - because I wrote many times that CoD6 actually shows that terrorists are bad and I perfectly understand this yet you continue with your crusade. So is it me who can't see what CoD6 shows or you, ever? Answer me.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It's kind of fitting that a close-minded douche like ever would be used as a teacher. You don't want children having too many wild ideas, you see.

That you bunch of fanatics actually believe yourselves to be somehow morally superior to other people... I just have to wonder when people decide to stop rationalizing and decide they're happy just sticking with that they've discovered so far.

ever

Scholar
For example you could write a paragraph like:

Her face screamed and twisted in a raw agony but I kept going. She was a lifeless grey mass serving as nothing but an instrument of my pleasure. I loved her, I kissed her neck and told her I loved her. Her husband, tied up in his chair watched onwards with a soulless expression, his children resting their sobbing heads in his bosom.

Or you could write a paragraph like:

As I shoved my cock inside her ass it exploed and her guts and shit flew everywhere and splattered around her room. Her children then went supersayan and beat me up.

And Skyway would probably not be able to see a difference between the two in terms of their ability to form empathical connection with other humans.

He might say something like "They're both about ape and but the second paragraph uses less words" or tell us which has less sentences and base his criteria on that but aside from such technical criteria he is not able to discern any difference between the two paragraphs in terms of their ability to form some kind of emotional connection with the reader.

Nostradumbass said:
gta doesn't disgust me because it never said, here, go kill civilians. if i do it, its purely my own choice

So...sometimes it's sick, and sometimes it's not...

crazy.gif

ever said:
He might say something like "They're both about ape and but the second paragraph uses less words" or tell us which has less sentences and base his criteria on that but aside from such technical criteria he is not able to discern any difference between the two paragraphs in terms of their ability to form some kind of emotional connection with the reader.

...So, you're only affected by rape if it strikes some hidden switch inside you? Not because RAPE BY ITSELF BOTHERS YOU LIKE IT BOTHERS ANY SANE HUMAN BEING?

sick fuck, indeed

ever

Scholar
Once again I'll repeat I don't care if you can't form a connection with one or the other you're not a bad person if you can or cannot. That's all fine and good.

Whats worrisome is if you aren't able to understand why one situation is more effective at creating emotional connections than another

It still doesn't make you a bad person, just one with a deficiency of some kind that probably won't be able to act with any sort of commonly accepted ethic intuition in some situations.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ever said:
Her face screamed and twisted in a raw agony but I kept going. She was a lifeless grey mass serving as nothing but an instrument of my pleasure. I loved her, I kissed her neck and told her I loved her. Her husband, tied up in his chair watched onwards with a soulless expression, his children resting their sobbing heads in his bosom.
Sounds like something a maniac would say in your typical movie.

As I shoved my cock inside her ass it exploed and her guts and shit flew everywhere and splattered around her room. Her children then went supersayan and beat me up.
Sounds like something a maniac with a different character would say in your typical movie.

Both examples show a bad guy. Your point?

And Skyway would probably not be able to see a difference between the two in terms of their ability to form empathical connection with other humans.
Their? So it's "them" again? Stop with strawmen please.

I think they are both pricks equally. And before you'll go there - if someone thinks that the first guy has something redeeming about him - he should consider staying away from society.

ever said:
Whats worrisome is if you aren't able to understand why one situation is more effective at creating emotional connections than another

It still doesn't make you a bad person, just one with a deficiency of some kind that probably won't be able to act with any sort of commonly accepted ethic intuition in some situations.

I understand. What I don't get is why in the nine hells not caring about how grimdark some scene in a game is makes us less able to feel empathy for real people. Mindboggling.

Skyway said:

the second one has a lulsy description so that makes the rape and torture and murder ok, duh

Hey guys, I raped a girl in my backyard today. That's ok, I was wearing a clownsuit and forced her to wear a Pikachu costume, WACKEE!!!

ever

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
No I can't form emotional connections with a game because maybe I'm not a lifeless nerd and it's way more fun to form emotional connections to real people

See its not about that.

It is however about your inability to understand why most people find CoD6 more shocking than carmageddon

I don't care if you can form an emotional connection with anything, I can't know that only you can.

However based upon what you're saying you seem quite incapable of discerning which of two situations has a better chance of causing an emotional connection with anyone.

Once again I know English is your second language so it might be hard for you to pick p some of the more nuanced features of what I'm trying to say but I have repeated it many times already neverthless I apologize for sounding frustrated at this point.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Nostradumbass said:
gta doesn't disgust me because it never said, here, go kill civilians. if i do it, its purely my own choice

So...sometimes it's sick, and sometimes it's not...

Seriously it's so easy to catch him on his hypocrisy and bullshit.
He just bitches for the sake of bitching, fights the powa or something - while in the end he's just a little hypocritical brat.

ever said:
MetalCraze said:

THIS ^

THIS RIGHT HERE IS EXACTLY MY POINT

And I never said that CoD6 shows anything but bad guys in that scene. And I found those terrorists to be pricks.
But at the same time I still don't forget that this is a media , just like any other media.
And yes sometimes shooting civilians is fun. Just like doing it in GTA is fun when I feel like it like our hypocrite said here. Because it's just a game just like any other movie or a book featuring bad guys.
Talking about such games like something siriuz is stupid - and unlike some I don't consider both games serious and I certainly won't go on a killing spree IRL.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck. FUCK! I agree with Skyway. I was getting ready to vomit.

But then I read this:

MetalCraze said:
No I can't form emotional connections with a game because maybe I'm not a lifeless nerd and it's way more fun to form emotional connections to real people?

Seriously forming emotional connections with a game? Hahaha. This thread is so full of pitiful idiots. You are talking like those ff7 fanboys which cried when Aeris died.

Thanks alot for saying writing this intestine-wrenching amount of stupid. I'm okay again :D

It is however about your inability to understand why most people find CoD6 more shocking than carmageddon

People are retarded. Both are arcadey games, only one doesn't have giblets flying around.

also, people are more bothered by CoD because it shows widespread violence in a real life situation, an airport, while Carmagedon shows...some other setting.

Like you can relate to a character with realistic problems (kid's dad beats him, he has a real disease) than an unrealistic character (prince of the seven heavens gets beat up by cosmic goddess, his soul was ripped off)

Doesn't make them any less retarded for being bothered by arcadey shiny game and non-existant kid.

ever said:
THIS ^

THIS RIGHT HERE IS EXACTLY MY POINT

But that's it, both are sick rapists, only one goes lol randum on the description. People can shut off their brain and not feel bothered by the second one, for some ungodly reason.

Apparently, "rape, torture, death" >>>> "he he hu he rape he hu he he torture he hu he he death".

Hypocrites, the lot of you.

*shuns*

Grunker said:
Thanks alot for saying writing this intestine-wrenching amount of stupid. I'm okay again

what's wrong with that? Feeling genuinely bothered by a game is kind of worrying.

ever

Scholar
GarfunkeL said:
Ever, he's not the only one that doesn't understand this level of disctintion you want to make. I mean, according to you, this is bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwVnZe_0D8M

and this is not, since you would declare it over the top:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX8Y5-BZLaM

It's still murder and horrible violence.

I'm not saying either is bad (or good for that matter, or anything)

I will however claim that the first example is probably more able to form some kind of emotional attachment with its audience than the second example.

I mean maybe they don't do much for you in terms of being able to get your feelings involved thats all fine, they certainly don't do much for me.

However I think its quite obvious which is the more capable in forming some kind of empathy with its audience

Yeah both show the same categorical vice of violence, but they don't show it in the same way. The question is which way of depicting it has a greater chance of getting the feelings of the audience involved? Most people could answer this question and justify it to some extent, other people like our friend skyway insist they are the same cause they fit under the same category, if he is to draw difference it will be in the bit rate of the .avi file

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
what's wrong with that? Feeling genuinely bothered by a game is kind of worrying.

I agree. And if that's what he meant I proove myself an ass once again. However he said "emotional connection." Now, I would like for this medium to proove itself the art of the 21st century. Art is pisspoor if it can't establish an emotional connection. That's why you guys hates Gaider so much - he has little ability to do this.

That's why Skyway's statement made me a squeeling duckling.

Well, there's emotional attachment ("hey, I can feel the pain of that Nameless One guy, eh dies a lot and doesn't afraid of anything. He's interesting and I'm genuinely interested in his fate")

...and emotional attachment ("zomg, the polygons :cry: ")

MetalCraze

Arcane
Grunker said:
I agree. And if that's what he meant I proove myself an ass once again. However he said "emotional connection." Now, I would like for this medium to proove itself the art of the 21st century.
Arcade shooter with a retarded plot is not an art. And I certainly can't feel any attachment to the cannon fodder in an airport only because they don't have weapons drawn on their models and aren't even trying to save themselves.

Art is pisspoor if it can't establish an emotional connection.
Not only that but one of great Codex minds said it isn't art unless it depicts ideal - so games can't be art by default.

That's why you guys hates Gaider so much - he has little ability to do this.
Come to think of it he is actually one of those guys who pulled this off. Aerie was the first character in a game that I hated and hated so much I had to kill her and rob her body of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom