Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MW2 has the best mission ever

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Every game with any amount of a story requires some kind of emotional detachment from the player.

I think you meant attachment, dumbass.

The only thing that can detract from that attachment is if it is done poorly or in an unrealstic manner. Guess what? That MW2 level was done in a realistic manner.

Yes you did.

In any case, bullshit statement. Mario has a story, rescue the princess from the bad guy. You must be blind if you don't see the kind of social commentary this simple premise holds.

Ah, but you argue that realism is what forces you, as a person, to act as you would in Real Life when you are in the game. Which is, again, bullshit, unless you consider yourself somehow obligated by divine will to do good within the confines of completely unreal worlds. If you are then, please, let me be the first to tell you we are not the sick bastards: you are.

If I want to treat characters in a game like crap and derive fun out of doing that then good for me. Really, the difference between playing Mortal Kombat, having fun out of watching a Ultimate Fighting match and going outside to punch someone in the face is so fucking unreal, you scare me. I guess a game like Bully must make you all queasy with its moral choices and portrayals of real life, that you just don't know whether it'll turn you into a child beater.

I know you want to appear like a badass... blah blah

No, that was not my intent. I am as shocked by violence in the world as everyone else is. You, however, must first learn to argue discussions by presenting counter-arguments to what the other party says; saying 'dumbfuck!' and 'go fuck a goat!' just show you as the moron you are.

Another failure who is too busy masturbating to comprehend English.

You keep pretending that the normal majority are some kind Taliban, EVIL HYPOCRITES preventing you from playing your games which are your GOD-GIVEN RIGHT to play. Nobody has ever said that, you just want to believe we did. Also nobody is saying you have the responsibility to be some kind of virtuous knight whenever you play games.

And by the way there is no argument because we are not claiming anything. The question is why it is so important for you to be able to act like a psychopath in your virtual world. It clearly is very important to you, and I want to know why. Just out of psychological interest.

So far you have all refused to answer that.

Instead you get yourselves enraged at strawmen.

Also, games are not art, you faggots.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sorry. I wouldn't be able to answer why since I didn't fire a single shot at a civilian in that mission. I felt it was tacky, done in bad taste while also being a very obvious marketing ploy. I was quite disappointed that I wasn't able to gun down the terrorists.

What I do know is that when you let outside agencies decide what to cencor in games you quickly get the same situation like what you have in Germany. I prefer it when game developers that make games for a mature audience have their own choice in what they do or don't portray in their products. Just like I prefer a writer, artist or movie maker to be able to decide for himself on what to create without there being cencorship.

I agree with you there.

The sad thing is that these marketing ploys work. It is the same problem as the idiots who flock to see gross modern art just to shock their imaginary censors.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
You keep pretending that the normal majority are some kind Taliban, EVIL HYPOCRITES preventing you from playing your games which are your GOD-GIVEN RIGHT to play. Nobody has ever said that, you just want to believe we did. Also nobody is saying you have the responsibility to be some kind of virtuous knight whenever you play games.

Nuh-uh, I am acting upon the basis of what has been stated in this thread in relation to the moral integrity of someone who does not feel sickened by the violence in this game. In that, such people seem to have none. You don't get to shift your stance or flip-flop to shield these statements.

The question is why it is so important for you to be able to act like a psychopath in your virtual world.

I posted in this thread because I believe it is downright ridiculous to be worrying about the little computer men and the alleged effect they should have on our moral fiber.

In this regard, I find it laughable to think that Dicksmoker or whoever it was would presume to pass judgement on someone based on their reaction to this scene. This situation inside a computer which may or may not seem horrible to you, and if it does, well whoopdewoo. My first reaction was 'who cares?', in that why do you care so much if someone feels no regret at shooting down innocent people in CoD?

This is important because it is you moral fanatics - not us - which would be tempted to censor these things if you had the chance. I would be against this kind of censorship, simply because I do not believe you should have the right to censor what you believe is wrong simply upon the basis that you think it is wrong. I find you people dangerous and scary.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Then you read it bad - because nobody defends it as a marketing operation.

Yet, I find difficult to separate the creation of this level from the polemic it stirs, because it's not much more than a marketing operation made to shock/hype. I also believe that "Grey areas" and "truthful depiction" ask for a more intelligent take than a cliched civilian shooting in an airport.

I'll take a recent example, with Dragon Age marketing who's been laughed off and despised by many codexers (me included) as being mediocre and ridiculous. I fail to see how MW 2's is any different, and how it deserves to be defended on a forum that claims to have higher standards than the rest of the gaming community.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dicksmoker said:
Come again? If you really were a commander you wouldn't be able to see everything going on at once, nor be able to give very specific orders to each unit and have them respond instantly. That's also a very small army you're commanding. And buildings don't go up that fast, and furthermore you don't actually build bases on the battlefield and churn out new units in a matter of minutes. In fact pretty much all of it is presented in a very unreal, detached way, which is very anti-immersion.

And if I was really a terrorist mowing down people in an airport they wouldn't look like a bunch of 3D polygons.

Dicksmoker said:
Incredibly retarded things

Whatever, I'm tired of talking to a 6 year old.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Although it *is* incredibly amusing how each time Dicksmoker tries to write a serious wall of text, it's nothing but retarded drivel.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
JarlFrank said:
Dicksmoker, your argument is incredibly retarded.
There doesn't need to be a hero or a happy end to make a movie, game or book good.
Just because you don't like it if there isn't doesn't mean it's bad art.
Lol, make no judgments, judgements are for PUSSIES.

Just because we don't like mainstream rpgs that much doesn't mean they're bad or dumbed down, Roofles!

Lumpy said:
The only thing that's fucked up is that you are supposedly an undercover agent trying not to blow your cover. That's a bit over the top, isn't it? I understand killing a man or so on while undercover, but I'm pretty sure that any human being would have just shot the three terrorists on the spot.
And that's why it fails in story terms as well and so defending it based on that makes someone retarded.

SerratedBiz said:
In any case, bullshit statement. Mario has a story, rescue the princess from the bad guy. You must be blind if you don't see the kind of social commentary this simple premise holds.
Oh god, get the fuck out of here. Are you always capable of making such facepalm-inducing comments? Yes, a game that is cartoonish and unreal as possible is exactly the same.

Jesus, I knew people would respond to my post, but I figured there would at least be a few points that would require me to think a little in order to debunk them, but you fuckers aren't even making me try. Pathetic.

Ah, but you argue that realism is what forces you, as a person, to act as you would in Real Life when you are in the game. Which is, again, bullshit, unless you consider yourself somehow obligated by divine will to do good within the confines of completely unreal worlds. If you are then, please, let me be the first to tell you we are not the sick bastards: you are.
Oh look, someone's trying to be skyway jr. How about you try to be better than him and stop with this ridiculous strawman bullshit? Actually reading and comprehending my original post would be a good start.

To recap:

1. What you do in a video game has nothing to do with what you do in real life.

2. People probably won't do anything criminal based on what they did in a game.

3. It doesn't make you any less of a sick fuck for enjoying that MW2 level.

No, that was not my intent. I am as shocked by violence in the world as everyone else is. You, however, must first learn to argue discussions by presenting counter-arguments to what the other party says; saying 'dumbfuck!' and 'go fuck a goat!' just show you as the moron you are.
Actually, first people like you will need to actually read and comprehend my post and not make stupid strawman arguments. So if you won't take me seriously I won't take you seriously. It's that simple.

Dajaaj said:
And if I was really a terrorist mowing down people in an airport they wouldn't look like a bunch of 3D polygons.
That's the best you can do?

I admit defeat.
Good, now you can spare me further dumbfuckery.

Darth Roxor said:
Although it *is* incredibly amusing how each time Dicksmoker tries to write a serious wall of text, it's nothing but retarded drivel.
What's that, pumpkin? How about actually responding to my points and trying to debunk them?

Oh that's right. You can't. You have no real defense against anything I wrote and so you have to go for a cheap "lol ur retarded" post. Run along now, us grown-ups are having a converstation.

Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
I am not sickened by what you do. I'm sickened by what you are. You are a sick sack of shit, and it wouldn't matter what games you play.

Well, grow up a little then, really. I was really judgmental of people for incredibly irrelevant reasons when younger, too.

Hey guys, when is the next pedophile torturer simulator coming out? Can't wait for it, can you? I'm going to buy 10 copies just for fun! Ha! It'll show those hypocrites like Sheek, who can't tell a PIXEL FROM REALITY!!

Teh poor pixels are getting hurt!!1! :cry:

Do you larp that you're helping the NPC's and they'll be grateful forever to you and now they'll be happy or something?

You must be the guy that never masturbated because you thought the girl would be hurt if she knew :whiteknight:

Crispy said:
Yep. He's gay.

No, just another moron with internet access. If he was gay, at least we wouldn't have to worry about the possibility of kids like him.

Sheek said:
And by the way there is no argument because we are not claiming anything. The question is why it is so important for you to be able to act like a psychopath in your virtual world. It clearly is very important to you, and I want to know why. Just out of psychological interest.

Being able to act like an asshole if I want > Following Dicksmoker and Sheek's retarded ideas of how a game should play, based on their juvenile assumptions about people.

ever said:
I'm saying not being able to draw a distinction between that and the violence in say soldier of fortune or resident evil or quake or carmageddon prolly means that you're not going to be able to make ethical decisions with the kind of intuition expected by society in large.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Because I don't care if violence in a game is cartoony or realistic (because it's a fucking game, not real), that means I'm not able to make ethical real life decisions? What? :?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dicksmoker said:
JarlFrank said:
Dicksmoker, your argument is incredibly retarded.
There doesn't need to be a hero or a happy end to make a movie, game or book good.
Just because you don't like it if there isn't doesn't mean it's bad art.
Lol, make no judgments, judgements are for PUSSIES.

Just because we don't like mainstream rpgs that much doesn't mean they're bad or dumbed down, Roofles!

No, that's different. There's an objective difference of quality between dumbed down shit and good RPGs.

What you are talking about isn't quality of art. It's the theme of art. For you, *all* art with or without a certain theme (violent asshole main character, no good hero person or happy end) is bad. It's not a matter of quality. Heck, you even dislike books/games/movies that are considered great pieces of art if they don't have a "character the audience can identify with", a "hero whose good sides outweigh the bad".

In your opinion you can't make good art without a good-natured character.

And thus your opinion is wrong, shit, sucks etc etc and you're a faggot and all that.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We could seriously incline this thread by just ignoring everything Dicksmoker says and instead discussing great works of art that don't fit his criteria.

I will start it with some literature:

book8.jpg

562.jpg

l_product_image.jpg

gatsby.jpg

What are your thoughts on these books if you've read any of them? Let's get some actual intelligent discussion going to wash away the dumbfuckery

JarlFrank said:
For you, *all* art with or without a certain theme (violent asshole main character, no good hero person or happy end) is bad.

Which is amusing considering the main character in his little story was a violent asshole (or a kid's vision of one, at least). But that was okay, since he was doing it for justice.:lol:

Then again, I wrote better stuff for my 2nd grade assignments, so that may be why

What are your thoughts on these books if you've read any of them? Let's get some actual intelligent discussion going to wash away the dumbfuckery

Impossible, this thread was irredeemably shittied up the moment he wrote that drivel.

bhlaab

Erudite
Trash said:
I felt it was tacky, done in bad taste while also being a very obvious marketing ploy. I was quite disappointed that I wasn't able to gun down the terrorists.

Hm. Can't argue with you there.

I think I liked the mission more than it probably deserved because it's the only one in the game that isn't incredibly tedious (mostly because the people you're shooting aren't armed)

I took it the other way, though. Instead of feeling the "ghastly power" of the level as intended, I took giddy delight in killing everyone, targeting women specifically, knifing people... just as a fuck you to the designer for trying to railroad me into an emotion. You're not the boss of me, designer.

oh no, I'm a psychopath and i probably want to harm people irl

bhlaab

Erudite
well, i did play bioshock

i also used to play Quake 2 with someone who used a Maggie Simpson skin

ever

Scholar
Yeah once again I will repeat

I never said there was anything wrong with CoD6s violence, I was just saying that its perfectly reasonable that a number of people are shocked by it and that there is indeed a difference between the violence in CoD6 and Carmageddon.

Seeing as everyone here is too busy thinking that I'm against the game or arguing for its censorship or calling people who like it sick freaks I will now close the discussion.

Before I do I would like to note that skyway still seems to be baffled as to how the violence in carmageddon is not considered as shocking as the violence in CoD6 leading me to believe that he indeed autistic.

Once again for clarifcation, I am against censorship of any kind, I'm pro rape-games games about torture sadism or whatever there's a market for. As long as money is being made and no one is being forced to do anything they don't want to do its all cool with me.

And with that I close my participation in this discussion

MetalCraze

Arcane
So will you stop being dumb and answer my question - why violence in Carmageddon where actual gore is shown and you are forced to kill civilians for fun, survival and cool experience is less disturbing than the one in CoD6 where there is almost no blood and it's a cutscene if you want it to be one with a subtext that terrorists are bad?

You just managed to prove that you are a hypocrite again like two times in that very post.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
this violence

2129231.jpg

2129232.jpg

is less harsh than this comedy violence?

carmageddon.jpg

carmageddon2_01.jpg

LOL YEAH BROS CANT U SEE THERES LOADS OF BLUD AND GUTS AND THATS TOTALLY VIOLENT. NOPE, NOT AT ALL HILARIOUS FROM THE WAY ITS OVERDONE.

so skyway is autistic? ahhhh, of course, that would explain a few things.

Doesn't matter - you're still running over people for fun. And that makes you a sick fuck, as well.

You can keep telling yourself (and your high horse) that it's overdone so it's ok, but that makes you creepier than me, who doesn't care either way because these are both games. O HAY IT LOOKS CUTE ENOUGH, COMMENCE KILLING

You know what this point of view reminds me of?

SAEV KNUT, HE SO KYUTE

knut.jpg

KILL THIS FUCK, HES UGLY

1_2small_ugly_animal_from_Madagascar.jpg

Hypocrites, the lot of you.

*shuns*

MetalCraze

Arcane
The level of violence is higher in Carmageddon as these screenshots prove and a typical in CoD6.
We can see policeman's head tearing off of his body as well as his body being teared off into multiple pieces with him losing his limbs. Then we see another civ drowning in his blood under the wheels of the car.

What do we see in CoD6? A guy lying in a very polit-correct puddle of blood and civilians which stand and look at guys with guns like they are at the zoo.

Did you just prove my point?

bhlaab said:
I took it the other way, though. Instead of feeling the "ghastly power" of the level as intended, I took giddy delight in killing everyone, targeting women specifically, knifing people... just as a fuck you to the designer for trying to railroad me into an emotion. You're not the boss of me, designer.
This just about sums up the thread. Lonely nerds raging against figments of their imagination. At least you are honest enough to admit it you unlike Clockwork Knight and Skyrage who resort to gay pseudo-filosofikal argumentation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom