Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My collected criticism on Pillars of Eternity (very minor spoilers)

Pillars of Eternity is

• Total voters
Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
You out level content as soon as you hit defiance bay though. Found the game to be a downward slope in difficulty from the moment the temple of eothas was clear.

That's why I'm bored stiff of the game.
Or maybe it has to do with playing it enough to make several videos and even a mod of it. How many steam hours logged do you have anyways? I'm getting a rather Skyway vibe from this.

There was some quote from somewhere (someone will know the one I'm talking about) that said that fun gameplay comes from resource management.
Your criticisms are getting stupider and stupider. The game has more resource management than IE if anything, from limited camping and strategic resource health alone.

That said I'd say the quote is wrong too.

Fatigue in Pillars of Eternity also kicks in too quickly

With ~5 athletics you'll have to rest once per dungeon at most.

Morkar Left

You out level content as soon as you hit defiance bay though. Found the game to be a downward slope in difficulty from the moment the temple of eothas was clear.

Exactly this.
I have an absolute hard time to imagine how BG could be easier than PoE. It's basically not possible from the system design alone.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
um...
For all your toons ? that would limit your ability to have anyone really excel at anything else .Especially if you do limit your leveling. I just got everyone to 2 athletics myself. Need someone with mechanics. Would focus Athletics a lot harder if I ever replayed though.
As someone who has followed sensuki's youtube channel for a while I think it's funny for you to think he can be easily burnt out. This guy likes IE games more than everyone I've ever spoken in text or in person rolled together into one person. Maybe he aint happy because this isn't really a spiritual successor to IE games but more of a 'what J.E.S did with a semi limited budget and stupid stretch goals that needed to be included *cough* stupidkeep*cough* and some really weird desire to make everything equal and balanced at the expense of what a lot of people liked about the original games'.
Morkar I hated skyrim so I am definitely going to play Seven Samurai one day to make up for how bad skyrim was.

Morkar Left

Hatred It's actually not my quote. If the original quoter tags me I put his name in there.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Still sounds like some damn good fun. Since I don't actually use my controller I can even throw it in a fit if I lose a fight.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Just because I found a party build that makes combat a breeze, doesn't mean I want easy combat. It just means my build is smarter than yours. But I apologize that I'm amazing at games.

And my XP was absolutely fine and nowhere near max level in DF.
:hmmm:
So you over level and don't participate in combat and this makes you amazing.

No, you overleveled and still whine about micro, I was 11 until about last 5 hours of the game, so you kind of got the whole thing backwards.

Arkeus

Arcane
Exactly this.
I have an absolute hard time to imagine how BG could be easier than PoE. It's basically not possible from the system design alone.
You do the same in BG though- it's designed to be won at level 5/6, and you usually end up with level 7/8, especially with the expansion.

Morkar Left

With the expansion Sarevok gets bumped up, the expansions as such have compensated difficulty and it's a difference if you overhelm your enemies in the last quarter of the game or after one third of the game like in PoE. The leveling in BG is slower anyway and the difficulty stays challenging till the end. With the challenging I mean you have to do other things than just autoattack with your party. Of course the presence of ai scripts for your party helps of course.

Arkeus

Arcane
With the expansion Sarevok gets bumped up, the expansions as such have compensated difficulty and it's a difference if you overhelm your enemies in the last quarter of the game or after one third of the game like in PoE. The leveling in BG is slower anyway and the difficulty stays challenging till the end. With the challenging I mean you have to do other things than just autoattack with your party. Of course the presence of ai scripts for your party helps of course.
That's... not my experience with BG1.

With BG1 you could quickly get to level 4/5, and by then you are basically in 'endgame' ability until the end of the game, where you just need auto-attack for most fights.

And getting to be overlevelled in POE is kinda the same- you do it by doing lots of secondary missions. I am not saying it's good, it isn't. But in both case you end up being overlevelled way too quickly.

um...
For all your toons ? that would limit your ability to have anyone really excel at anything else .
Not true. I gave athletics 5 to all my dudes, which is where combat fatigue is put to -90%. Then put the rest of the skills where you want them. I used Durance for mechanics, in spite of him not being particularly apt at it, and only met 2-3 doors throughout the entire game that I couldn't pick. If you focus your mechanics skill on someone with an aptitude for it you'd have no probs whatsoever.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you only need 3 athletics to get combat fatigue down to -90

Sothpaw

Learned
You might notice I don't talk about my experience because I cannot be objective. I know all about D&D and IE games and I am not a fool to claim I remember that well how in 1998 my first play on BG1 looked.
But thanks to modern times I was able to spend about 100+ hours in last 6 months watching people play BG1EE on Twitch (mostly due to all modern RPGs being boring to play) and watch so many people not find the game easy or simple. And I spent almost 50h watching people play PoE for their first time in last two weeks and I seen them go through it easy on Hard of PotD diff (I got some stream open all the time on my second monitor).

I don't give a shit how much of your life you wasted watching Twitch. Vanilla BG was/is easy as fuck.

I am pretty sure everyone died to the wizard at Friendly Arm Inn the first time. Also Sarevok and Aec'Letec for sure killed everyone the first time around. EE has a pretty challenging fight for Neera's questline. Still though, I totally disagree that BG has this deep layer of resource management. Just rest whenever the fuck you want to.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Lol, wizards. Ok, I'm curious too: has anyone here ever actually bothered switching grimoires at all? And if yes, why? I just pick 4 most useful (or least useless) spells per level and run with that.
I switch them, because it is bullshit that you don't have more than 4 good spells per level.

lol @ dis nigga needing to swap grimoires. I barely use the grimoire I already have outside of serious fights.

Morkar Left

That's... not my experience with BG1.

With BG1 you could quickly get to level 4/5, and by then you are basically in 'endgame' ability until the end of the game, where you just need auto-attack for most fights.

And getting to be overlevelled in POE is kinda the same- you do it by doing lots of secondary missions. I am not saying it's good, it isn't. But in both case you end up being overlevelled way too quickly.

No, POE is definitely easier and leveling is faster. I'm level 7 in the city, just clearing some plot tower, haven't touched the megadungeon nor did some bountyquests. And I can already autoattack anything on hard so far with an unoptimized party (e.g. I don't change the special equipment of partymembers which belongs to them, wearing armor that looks cool instead of being the most effective etc.). Some story fight was especially disappointing in its difficulty.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol, wizards. Ok, I'm curious too: has anyone here ever actually bothered switching grimoires at all? And if yes, why? I just pick 4 most useful (or least useless) spells per level and run with that.
I switch them, because it is bullshit that you don't have more than 4 good spells per level.

lol @ dis nigga needing to swap grimoires. I barely use the grimoire I already have outside of serious fights.
I use spells because I want to use them. If you just find the single most effective tactic/spell and use it all the time, then where is the fun in that? I like to play with varied tactics, using everything at my disposal. Even if it is not the most effective one.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

I use spells because I want to use them. If you just find the single most effective tactic/spell and use it all the time, then where is the fun in that? I like to play with varied tactics, using everything at my disposal. Even if it is not the most effective one.

There is no single most effective tactic or spell, but there are plenty of useless spells and you certainly don't need more than 4/level in any of the encounters.

Eh, it's fine and fun to try out new spells. I just don't get why would I need to swap grimoires for that. It's not a good idea to do that in combat, and outside of combat I can just change the loadout for my current grimoire to try out a new spell. The entire mechanic just seems pointless. Now, I've seen the idea from someone here of having grimoires give different bonuses, that would maybe give at least some reason to do so. Like, a fire mage grimoire that give bonus damage with fire that I then load with fire spells. Or a witch grimoire with bonus duration to debuffs. Or a fighter-mage one with bonus duration to self-buffs. Something like that - so that I would want to keep and swap different grimoires around for specific purposes.

Mortmal

Arcane
There a single effective tactic , works for everything .
A tank with heavy armor as much damage reduction you can fit and the talents going well with defense, you will get a wall you barely needs to heal . The wall is postioned a little ahead of the party , aggro everything, and the other party members do range damage on a single target at a time . Cast a few heal from time to time or one of those massive aoe regen spell on your blob of shooting adventurers, thats all there is to know . Congrats you win poe on hard mode !

Pick a tank and anything you want to fill the party but some classes are rubbish . Wizard sounds cool but in fact the time to postion him for its aoe , the time it takes to buff him so he dont get squished too fast (shades ), then you rather use any character doing damage immediately its more efficient. Chanters are garbage too, ok buff song, but you have acces to the summons when the fight is over . Druids and ciphers are god like especially at end, triviliaze everything .

Dont use armor except on the tank, its slowing him so much you will never use his abiltiies...Enchant any gear you like you will never find any extraordinary item.

Shevek

Arcane
Mortmal
You can do that. You can also succeed without doing that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
ArchAngel:
Now its when you choose. Will you be a shitposter or will you write things people actually read? Take your time before you make your choice.
Is this a Codex version of calling someone a troll when you ran out of arguments?

Shevek

Arcane
Rest spam/cheesy tactics.
Naw, I run with a couple guys in plate and two handers. I find that it works better than a defender mode shield tank. There are numerous ways to setup a strong frontline without going pure tank and spank.

Rake

Arcane
Rest spam/cheesy tactics.
Naw, I run with a couple guys in plate and two handers. I find that it works better than a defender mode shield tank. There are numerous ways to setup a strong frontline without going pure tank and spank.
My post was for the critisism in the IE combat "flaws".
"B-but you could rest spam in the IE games, making combat easy. There were cheesy tactics, teh horror!!!!"
Your answer could be applied in these as well as in PoE 's critisism

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom