Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My collected criticism on Pillars of Eternity (very minor spoilers)

Pillars of Eternity is

• Total voters

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's why I'm bored stiff of the game.
Or maybe it has to do with playing it enough to make several videos and even a mod of it. How many steam hours logged do you have anyways? I'm getting a rather Skyway vibe from this.

There was some quote from somewhere (someone will know the one I'm talking about) that said that fun gameplay comes from resource management.
Your criticisms are getting stupider and stupider. The game has more resource management than IE if anything, from limited camping and strategic resource health alone.

That said I'd say the quote is wrong too.

Fatigue in Pillars of Eternity also kicks in too quickly

With ~5 athletics you'll have to rest once per dungeon at most.

Once per dungeon is too often. The quote isn't wrong, and you just ignored all of my criticisms which are completely valid - but suit yourself I guess. There are plenty of people who didn't even play the beta that have the same problems with the game as I do. Limited camping supplies does nothing because all it does is prevent people from spamming rest which I never did anyway. Every time I've needed to rest it has been because of fatigue and there's been a camping supply either on the level that I needed to rest on, or on the one next to it. I've never needed to use both camping supplies while doing a quest. The only place where you might need two is if you were doing a big stint in the Megadungeon. The health system doesn't mean shit for most of the game because as I said, the fatigue kicks in before characters get down to their last health multiplier or are even close to running out of per-rest resources.

Last edited:

Shevek

Arcane
Sensuki, since you limited yourself in the IE games (by not rest spamming), why can't you limit yourself here? If resting supplies are a problem, just don't use them.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There are not many times where I've needed to even use a camping supply, especially after gaining the Stronghold or getting access to Defiance Bay. Probably less than 5 times between gaining level 4 and getting to Act 3 (and I stopped playing in Act 3) as that's where the game just becomes lmao easy and repetitive as fuck.

There is not a thing to keep me playing - The writing is disappointing for many reasons people have outlined in the average thread. If I actually cared about the story, I would still be playing - but I don't. Which is the biggest disappointment of all.

Other than that - encounter design is pretty bad, there are fuck all unique enemies and itemization is abysmal.

Then there's the issues with the system design, which after playing most of the game I don't really like how it plays, so fuck it. I'll go play something else.

Shevek

Arcane
Well, if you need them at times and at times you don't, it seems to me thats just an issue with encounter/dungeon design not the health system itself.

Edit:
I am genuinely saddened that you don't derive enjoyment from the game, man. I hope the xpac addresses some of the issues you have or after some time away from the game you are able to return to it and find some enjoyment.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
There are not many times where I've needed to even use a camping supply, especially after gaining the Stronghold or getting access to Defiance Bay. Probably less than 5 times between gaining level 4 and getting to Act 3 (and I stopped playing in Act 3) as that's where the game just becomes lmao easy and repetitive as fuck.

There is not a thing to keep me playing - The writing is disappointing for many reasons people have outlined in the average thread. If I actually cared about the story, I would still be playing - but I don't. Which is the biggest disappointment of all.

Other than that - encounter design is pretty bad, there are fuck all unique enemies and itemization is abysmal.

Then there's the issues with the system design, which after playing most of the game I don't really like how it plays, so fuck it. I'll go play something else.
Your bitterness serves as a great reminder of why I don't play games in Beta and Early Access. thank you for your sacrifice :hero:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Its almost as if spending 8 months obsessing 24/7 about an unreleased game is mathematically 100% guaranteed to burn you out.

Who knew?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
No, there's actually a scientifically proven formula for these situations.

Game duration/Time you've spent masturbating on forums = your eventual rating of the game on 10 point scale

Lhynn

Arcane
That sounds like the biggest load of shit I've heard in a while.
I just dont get why you havent up and left, game is not worth worrying about, writing, exploration and character systems are p. bad and not in any state where they could easily be made better. Not that theyd listen to you even if there was.
On top of that Sawyer shit hurt the game more than i thought it possibly could.

Multi-headed Cow

Guys something good came of PoE. It got me in the mood to play BG again. I loaded up BGEE and I've killed so many xvarts you have no idea. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also fighting a random giant spider encounter of 1 (one) spider with my entire party was harder than everything but the adra dragon in PoE. Not even kidding. Even with knowing what's up with AD&D, playing BG before, and having a full party of 6 that didn't stop it from killing Kagain and Monty before being taken down. And this isn't PoE taking a nap and getting back up refreshed and with full life endurance, this is "Dropping all your shit on the ground and not getting XP until they haul your stinking carcass back to a temple and spend 100gp" dead. Lotta people in this thread full of shit.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Guys something good came of PoE. It got me in the mood to play BG again. I loaded up BGEE and I've killed so many xvarts you have no idea. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also fighting a random giant spider encounter of 1 (one) spider with my entire party was harder than everything but the adra dragon in PoE. Not even kidding. Even with knowing what's up with AD&D, playing BG before, and having a full party of 6 that didn't stop it from killing Kagain and Monty before being taken down. And this isn't PoE taking a nap and getting back up refreshed and with full life endurance, this is "Dropping all your shit on the ground and not getting XP until they haul your stinking carcass back to a temple and spend 100gp" dead. Lotta people in this thread full of shit.

Eh my favorite part is just taking the casualties as it is and replacing them with the available rosters.
I think my ragtag Bhaalspawn and Expendables made it to Sarevok severely underpowered and got destroyed by the traps there alone.
But I think that's fair cause I didn't min-max at all. It's fair to say that Game Overs are more common in BG than POE due to how Endurance works.

And resurrection isn't 100 GP IIRC, that's why I could not afford bringing back the dead.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing BGEE instead of the original with mods? Get out of here!

Also fighting a random giant spider encounter of 1 (one) spider with my entire party was harder than everything but the adra dragon in PoE.
You are either a filfthy lier, or the worst player in the world. 1 giant spider is finished with a 6 member party, unless you are playing like a dumbfuck. Especially in BGEE, which makes characters OP, and the game unbalanced.

Multi-headed Cow

Eh my favorite part is just taking the casualties as it is and replacing them with the available rosters.
I think my ragtag Bhaalspawn and Expendables made it to Sarevok severely underpowered and got destroyed by the traps there alone.
But I think that's fair cause I didn't min-max at all. It's fair to say that Game Overs are more common in BG than POE due to how Endurance works.

And resurrection isn't 100 GP IIRC, that's why I could not afford bringing back the dead.
Raise dead is at least, 'cause I've already done it. Unless BGEE nerfed it. I thought it was 1,000 until I went and looked. And yeah, I tend to leave some people dead too. Especially if you want to be one of those horrible people who likes having a good party, then you can shave off the parts of the duos you don't want. Everyone loves to off Dynaheir and keep Minsc.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Then I watched a guy play BG1EE first time in his life and get killed in fights vs spellcasters due to not mixing it up and just trying autoattack. Then he loads the game and mixes it up and succeeds.

Which fight against spellcasters in BG requires you to "mix it up"?
The people streaming regularly died to mage in Friendly Arm, then they for some reason like to go to Carnivale and die to the mage in the tent and then later to Nimbul. Some also die to adventuring group outside Nashkell Mine exit. I also seem them lose to the priest in in Nashkell Inn but that is more rare. Some that decided to take the quest in Beregost for the Thespian Extraordinaire also lose to her Lightning bolt. Then I seen them lose to wizards that spawn in Beregost when you try to save Neera and later in Neera quest another vs Red Wizard fight kills the party if you autoattack. They also die a lot in Firewine both because of traps and because of Ogre Magi. Later they die to webs +ettercaps/spider

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
:hmmm:

The schadenfreude I have of Sensuki playing a shitty beta for months and then getting burnt out on the full game in a matter of days is pretty funny.

Shadenuat

Arcane
this is "Dropping all your shit on the ground and not getting XP until they haul your stinking carcass back to a temple and spend 100gp" dead.
PoE system holds your hand a lot compared to D&D. And if often shows as in PoE you are rarely truly afraid of anything. In IE last man standing usually equals to player sucking at game and failing in combat, but in PoE you can do a lot of mistakes and still somehow win the encounter and then ops, everyone's ok, just some health and adventuring day lost.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
PoE system holds your hand a lot compared to D&D. And if often shows as in PoE you are rarely truly afraid of anything. In IE last man standing usually equals to player sucking at game and failing in combat, but in PoE you can do a lot of mistakes and still somehow win the encounter and then ops, everyone's ok, just some health and adventuring day lost.
but but .... camping supplies dude. You aren't thinking about all that resource management that you have to do with camping supplies. C'mon man. :lol:

J_C what exactly is wrong with the EE ? I just started playing BG1 one again EE but I'm not really that far in that I couldn't re-roll. I did some digging and the bg1/2 discs are still in my old cd wallet. I've never modded a game beyond just going to steam workshop and clicking subscribe though. So before I consider doing that (and restarting) could you tell me why exactly?

Sensuki

Arcane
I don't know if J_C will have an answer for your question besides going with the flow, but here's mine:

I prefer BG1 because it has the original avatars (character models) and the original spawn system. I have a 22" CRT monitor that I use for old games and I play Modded BG1:TotSC vanilla in 640x480@160Hz.

The EEs don't really add anything good, they're more just an ease of use thing. Personally I can't stand them for several reasons.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
I think I am a bit more flexible than you. I kinda don't want to think I am playing bg1 on 'easymode' though. From a balance perspective would you say EE is similar? I don't have any old pc monitors. My old monitor broke somehow so I'm just down to one monitor which is stupidly wide. I knew you had an old monitor and that you used it for cod for less lag between PC and monitor when playing competitive cod. (i'm that annoying fuck khitchary what used to bug you on youtube about PoE ). Anyhows even though I am pretty sure I have heard you talk about it before if you feel at all inclined if I'd appreciate a list of the cons of EE. Avatars I can just deal with.

Sensuki

Arcane
I don't like the BG:EE UI (although it made improvements to the inventory display). It doesn't have the original spawn system (which can lead to increased XP gain due to larger/more frequently respawning mobs and of different types), it blurs the environment art, doesn't have the original (better) character models and it adds a bunch of new bugs. The new movies are also shit.

If you don't care about any of that then there's probably nothing wrong with playing the EE.

There's also the balance I guess. BG1 had different proficiencies and stuff like that.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Thanks guys. Yeah for now I'll play EE. I'm not going to mod in any scs or anything because I want to play bg1 and 2 more or less as it was because I am fkn sick of the 'rose tinted glasses' claim. I feel like if I am going to learn to mod I may as well be modding in the SCS business I hear so much about as well.I'll save that for playthrough two though I reckon. The one thing I find driving me nuts is not being able to change the camera controls in bgee >.< I'd really prefer to scroll using wads.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
but but .... camping supplies dude. You aren't thinking about all that resource management that you have to do with camping supplies. C'mon man. :lol:

J_C what exactly is wrong with the EE ? I just started playing BG1 one again EE but I'm not really that far in that I couldn't re-roll. I did some digging and the bg1/2 discs are still in my old cd wallet. I've never modded a game beyond just going to steam workshop and clicking subscribe though. So before I consider doing that (and restarting) could you tell me why exactly?
Sensuki already said tha crux of it, so I can only repeat it:
- new UI is shit
- I never liked the lets import BG1 into BG2 mindset, because it messes up game balance and the spawn system. That's why I don't play BGT. For me, BG1+hig res mods +fixes is the way to play
- graphics is blurry
- new content is not good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom