Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My collected criticism on Pillars of Eternity (very minor spoilers)

Pillars of Eternity is

• Total voters

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh yeah, the new content will stick out like a sore thumb, it's truly bad. Forget everything I said, uninstall EE and mod the base game.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
ug. With 3/3 saying fuck EE I guess its time for me to stop playing games and start playing mods. I'm so PC illiterate this will hurt. Probably all for the good I guess.
:0-13:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well the Widescreen mod for BG1 isn't very good, if you're planning on using that. It's much better for every other game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ug. With 3/3 saying fuck EE I guess its time for me to stop playing games and start playing mods. I'm so PC illiterate this will hurt. Probably all for the good I guess.
If this is your first time playing BG, and you like the EE, aaaaand you really suck at modding, just play the EE. You won't lose that much, it's just that it is not the best experience.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Well the Widescreen mod for BG1 isn't very good, if you're planning on using that. It's much better for every other game.
SO uh.. what do you advise then ? My square screen just doesn't do anything anymore .. I could go to cashies I guess. I hate that place though. Idk if they even have old pc screens anymore I aint been there in years and years.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
@jc I have played bg once before up till nearly the end on someone elses PC. When I finally had my own I could never get it to run properly. BG2 I played through a couple of times because it did run... I am retarded at PC's .. or everything depending how you look at it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
SO uh.. what do you advise then ? My square screen just doesn't do anything anymore .. I could go to cashies I guess. I hate that place though. Idk if they even have old pc screens anymore I aint been there in years and years.
I had bad experiences with the widescreen mod, but the latest version is improved IMO. You can download a custom UI for it, which makes the black bars disappear, and centers the windows. Interestengly, the framerate problem also disappeared for me in the latest version. That was the biggest downside of the widesreen mod for me.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I only had bad experiences with modding Bg1 so I recommend BG1EE to anyone. The opinions of Sensuki and few others are extreme and represent 0.01% of whole IE community. If you never played Bg1 there is 0 reason to play Bg1 with mods over BG1EE (well it is cheaper to get BG1 and install free mods).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The people streaming regularly died to mage in Friendly Arm,

:lol: Died in two hits.

then they for some reason like to go to Carnivale and die to the mage in the tent

I didn't even remember this guy until you brought him up. Completely forgettable.

and then later to Nimbul.

Okay, this guy's better, but only because the game cheats and allows him to put up his mirror image without being interrupted. Otherwise, he'd go down as easy as the previous two.

Some also die to adventuring group outside Nashkell Mine exit.

Never encountered, no comment.

Some that decided to take the quest in Beregost for the Thespian Extraordinaire also lose to her Lightning bolt.

Sounds like they ought to auto-attack a little faster, another thing I barely remember.

Then I seen them lose to wizards that spawn in Beregost when you try to save Neera and later in Neera quest another vs Red Wizard fight kills the party if you autoattack. They also die a lot in Firewine both because of traps and because of Ogre Magi. Later they die to webs +ettercaps/spider

Once again, no comment. Except for the last thing, once you trigger the first web trap in the forest, not detecting traps throughout the remainder is just stupidity.

Most of those don't require "mixing."

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Sounds like they ought to auto-attack a little faster, another thing I barely remember.
How could you forget Silke ! Even 16 years later I remember her. I've never even had BG1 run on my own PC and I remember her.

Edit: actually its a lie I got bg1 to run on my pc recently.

Old Hans

Arcane
who was the necromancer encounter in the woods? I remember he totally destroyed me the first time I played back in the 80s

Multi-headed Cow

There's not enough reason to skip the EE, especially if you already own it, and even moreso if you don't want to fuck with mods.

To put it another way, it's probably been 10ish years since I've played BG2 and longer since I played BG1, and the only change anyone has mentioned that stuck out to me through the mists of time was the random encounters/wandering monsters (Beyond the obvious, like having class kits in BG1 and the HELLO I AM ENHANCED EDITION NPC orcman). They do seem more numerous than I remember, which theoretically could lead to outleveling the content but I haven't gotten far enough to see how much of an issue that really ends up being. The character models look the same to me (Maybe different paper dolls in inventory?) and the blurriness I've only noticed when I zoom in.
The cutscenes are 100% worse though. Not enough to burn the whole EE down (And there aren't enough "Story" cutscenes to really matter) but yeah.

who was the necromancer encounter in the woods? I remember he totally destroyed me the first time I played back in the 80s
The crazy cleric with all the skeletons and zombies? I got my shit pushed in by him last night as well. Only Jaheira's level 2 at the moment so I'll be back to deal with him later. Plus Xzar hasn't got sleep yet which is the ultimate in low level wizardry, Larloch's doesn't cut the mustard.

hell bovine

Arcane
Another criticism of PoE: what is the point of taking prisoners, if you can't do much with them afterwards? Either follow the great example set by Dungeon Keeper on what to do in your dungeons for fun and profit, or don't bother.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The biggest flaw with the EE current is that you can't use Level1NPC. And the fact that using the base game is cheaper for basically the same game. But if you don't care about that, well, I say go ahead.

Multi-headed Cow

Another criticism of PoE: what is the point of taking prisoners, if you can't do much with them afterwards? Either follow the great example set by Dungeon Keeper on what to do in your dungeons for fun and profit, or don't bother.
Actually yeah. Did anyone get any use for any prisoners they took? I was only given the option of taking one prisoner (Spider illithid thing in the endless paths) and I didn't see a single use for it. In fact I wonder if I screwed myself out of some loot since he was a named "Boss monster" and didn't leave a corpse behind then. Didn't think to check the chest in the stronghold, maybe they put whatever gear he had in there.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You can sell them, but beyond that nothing. It's another feature of the keep that's all make-up and no content. Basically if it's related to the keep, just assume it's absolute shit.

hell bovine

Arcane
Actually yeah. Did anyone get any use for any prisoners they took? I was only given the option of taking one prisoner (Spider illithid thing in the endless paths) and I didn't see a single use for it. In fact I wonder if I screwed myself out of some loot since he was a named "Boss monster" and didn't leave a corpse behind then. Didn't think to check the chest in the stronghold, maybe they put whatever gear he had in there.
I think you loose the loot. Apparently some of the prisoners can be ransomed, but I had the wizard from the fiance quest in my dungeon for a long time and then he escaped. Someone needs to mod a torture chamber and a few dark mistresses. :D
(So far, the keep has been a waste of time and a money sink.)

Shevek

Arcane
The keep would feel more useful if they unified those rest bonuses into one mega bonus. That would at least give you a nice free boost to use when delving into the mega dungeon.

It would also be cool if high prestige or security scores unlocked certain quests, etc. Similarly, the NPC hires themselves should be more than just prestige and security buffs. Maybe hired npcs could improve the rate at which certain buildings produce resources or increase the rate adventures, etc.

The system has good bones but they need to build on it.

Starwars

Arcane
I hope they will do content patches or something down the line and expand upon the stronghold then. Or, hopefully, they'll add more shit to it in the expansion maybe.
It seems like, with the foundation they have, it'd be a waste to just let it lie as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom