Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My collected criticism on Pillars of Eternity (very minor spoilers)

Pillars of Eternity is

• Total voters

Mortmal

Arcane
Rest spam/cheesy tactics.
You can do that. You can also succeed without doing that.
Naw, I run with a couple guys in plate and two handers. I find that it works better than a defender mode shield tank. There are numerous ways to setup a strong frontline without going pure tank and spank.

Could work too or a big blob of bears like some do .There may be other successfull tactics , however theres classes no one will really wants to use in their party, and some "new" classes who are apparently the devs lovechildren , vastly overpowered.I dont see why one would use a wizard if he can get a druid that can melee , do better aoe damage, do buffing healing ,AOE healing . Or all those sick cipher abilities instant dominating half the battlefield or mass aoe , or buffing at will , every encounters...

Shevek

Arcane
Wizard is pretty cool for blast. Penetrating Blast and that modal that makes ranged attacks bypass 5dr makes it a nice trash lawnmower with a fast implement. You are right that they could be better but they aren't bad.

Mortmal

Arcane
Wizard is pretty cool for blast. Penetrating Blast and that modal that makes ranged attacks bypass 5dr makes it a nice trash lawnmower with a fast implement. You are right that they could be better but they aren't bad.

If you are not looking for efficiency they are cool as they are, but for people wanting to min max , or not even just make a good party wizard is to be avoided, wiz need a faster casting on damage spells higher damage a much much faster casting on buffs and be able to program a sequence of spells at the beggining of the fight to buff themselves . Not the only things i would change int he game, consomable are weak and takes too long to use, the absurd armor penalty affecting all skills both melee and magic .

Shevek

Arcane

If you are not looking for efficiency they are cool as they are, but for people wanting to min max , or not even just make a good party wizard is to be avoided, wiz need a faster casting on damage spells higher damage a much much faster casting on buffs and be able to program a sequence of spells at the beggining of the fight to buff themselves . Not the only things i would change int he game, consomable are weak and takes too long to use, the absurd armor penalty affecting all skills both melee and magic .
My wizard has about the same overall damage as my rogue and they can charm/confuse/debuff crap. I am not saying they are great but they pull their weight

Mortmal

Arcane

My wizard has about the same overall damage as my rogue and they can charm/confuse/debuff crap. I am not saying they are great but they pull their weight

Oh no, far from it ! My rogue has the highest dps from the party . I just read the stats and hights death count too . Theres something else fundamentally flawed with the wizard . I am now at the end of the game , you have a limited uses of spell by rest , a few level 6 spell, the cipher can cast her level 6 abilties at will, all the time and those abilties are clearly better. The knockdown wave is amazing,the domination is amazing and you still have a direct damage spell over the top.

LizardWizard

Prophet
There a single effective tactic , works for everything .
Pick a tank and anything you want to fill the party but some classes are rubbish . Wizard sounds cool but in fact the time to postion him for its aoe , the time it takes to buff him so he dont get squished too fast (shades ), then you rather use any character doing damage immediately its more efficient. Chanters are garbage too, ok buff song, but you have acces to the summons when the fight is over . Druids and ciphers are god like especially at end, triviliaze everything .

Dont use armor except on the tank, its slowing him so much you will never use his abiltiies...Enchant any gear you like you will never find any extraordinary item.

If your Wizard is getting squished you're doing it wrong, Shades can't even touch mine on POTD.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Pick a tank and anything you want to fill the party but some classes are rubbish . Wizard sounds cool but in fact the time to postion him for its aoe , the time it takes to buff him so he dont get squished too fast (shades ), then you rather use any character doing damage immediately its more efficient. Chanters are garbage too, ok buff song, but you have acces to the summons when the fight is over . Druids and ciphers are god like especially at end, triviliaze everything .

Chanter's really good, it just doesn't work for the standard sort of line up. Passive build though? The reload reducing aura is batshit crazy. 2 rogues with Arbalest and chanter in the back. the biggest guy is deleted from the map 0.1 second after the fight starts. and then its cleanup time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-go-to-new-thread.93694/page-300#post-3698862
I am eagerly awaiting his inevitable review where he claims "This would have been GOTY IF ONLY THEY LISTENED TO ME". There is almost 0% chance he will enjoy it after obsessing over a beta release of a video game for nearly a year. I feel bad for Ropekid, who must have to deal with hundreds of these guys on a daily basis.

Imp-zoners were right (about Sensuki)

Then I watched a guy play BG1EE first time in his life and get killed in fights vs spellcasters due to not mixing it up and just trying autoattack. Then he loads the game and mixes it up and succeeds.

Which fight against spellcasters in BG requires you to "mix it up"?

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
A tank with heavy armor as much damage reduction you can fit and the talents going well with defense, you will get a wall you barely needs to heal . The wall is postioned a little ahead of the party , aggro everything, and the other party members do range damage on a single target at a time .

This is what grinds my gears. I have seen the enemies literally do a lap around my tank instead of making a beeline for my team. Sometimes they just go full British and line up politely. Without blink or ranged weapons mobs of melee enemies can be very disappointing just standing around like a bunch of people lining up behind an ATM or something.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Roguey Just curious mate, have you played the game yet ?

Edit: also if there is more than one 'Sensuki' he wasn't on the OE forums, I been reading those for a while.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey Just curious mate, have you played the game yet ?

I'm waiting for a DRM-free disc, and once I have it, whether I play it immediately or not depends on if I'm playing something else at the time and if it's suitably rebalanced.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
I'm a trifle confused about the suitably rebalanced part. Could you elaborate on that ? I'm guessing the waiting for a disk bit is due to being a backer? You can just walk down to the store and buy 'em in the land of kangaroos and beer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm a trifle confused about the suitably rebalanced part. Could you elaborate on that ? I'm guessing the waiting for a disk bit is due to being a backer? You can just walk down to the store and buy 'em in the land of kangaroos and beer.

Yes, I'm a backer. They're sending me a disc that requires no downloading, and with reasonably-sized patches.

Sawyer said there were a lot of things he wanted to rebalance now that it's out and he can receive feedback from thousands of people. It might take a while; the big balance passes on New Vegas happened two months and six months after release.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Sawyer said there were a lot of things he wanted to rebalance now that it's out and he can receive feedback from thousands of people.
This is the best news I have heard in a while. Is there a place I can read about this ? Please don't say Something Paywall forums >.< My least favourite thing about J.E.S is his habit of posting things everyone would like to know in a forum most people cannot get to. I'm not keen on paying to get onto a forum that I will probably immediately lose interest in or get banned from.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Please don't say Something Paywall forums

Yes, sorry.

Josh said:
I don't have any problem adjusting Attribute bonuses post-launch after more pressing bugs have been dealt with.
It is a year old, but there's a difference between ~20 people talking about systems in the context of the Backer Beta ad nauseam and hundreds of people talking about the systems in the shipped game.

Mortmal

Arcane
A tank with heavy armor as much damage reduction you can fit and the talents going well with defense, you will get a wall you barely needs to heal . The wall is postioned a little ahead of the party , aggro everything, and the other party members do range damage on a single target at a time .

This is what grinds my gears. I have seen the enemies literally do a lap around my tank instead of making a beeline for my team. Sometimes they just go full British and line up politely. Without blink or ranged weapons mobs of melee enemies can be very disappointing just standing around like a bunch of people lining up behind an ATM or something.

Yes it happen often, less later as you can get skill for +1 enmies engagement , thats how a wizard can be squished, unless you pause all the time and use slow motion . I know how to handle it but some classes are just easy mode and plain more powerful.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Roguey Well sigh and thanks.
Mortmal I never felt the need for extra engagement slots due to the way the AI more or less leave my wizard and druid alone.
Now I am just going to go shout at a wall about how "Great Obsidian are at engaging their fans and working with their community". They could at least copy paste this kind of info to their official site ... I guess that's why I don't even bloody bother going there anymore.
Edit: I am also wondering where these 'hundreds of people' will come from. If it is the OE forums I don't hold out much hope of anything changing for the better. Got nothing nice to say about the majority of people there ... maybe that's why the devs don't even post info there ... /hangs self

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
99% of time when my Wizard was squished, is because of Charm/Dominate.

My band of 5 idiots immidiately decided to gangbang him - beacause hey, we've travelled with this guy for 5 months so we must slaughter him immediately. He would then spend rest of the fight sleeping.

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
You've just misunderstood the spell effect. It doesn't charm or dominate the target, it dominates the target's friends so they see him as hostile. Everything is relative. Never forget.

Mortmal

Arcane
Roguey Well sigh and thanks.
Mortmal I never felt the need for extra engagement slots due to the way the AI more or less leave my wizard and druid alone.
Now I am just going to go shout at a wall about how "Great Obsidian are at engaging their fans and working with their community". They could at least copy paste this kind of info to their official site ... I guess that's why I don't even bloody bother going there anymore.
Edit: I am also wondering where these 'hundreds of people' will come from. If it is the OE forums I don't hold out much hope of anything changing for the better. Got nothing nice to say about the majority of people there ... maybe that's why the devs don't even post info there ... /hangs self
Sawyer prefer something awful feedback, not enough asslicking here and god knows some do their best on these forums . So our feedback is probably lost into the void, i wont bother to post on obsidian boards there no guarantee they read it either. Many flaws obvious after a playthrough, flaw easy to solve. Using some existing D&D setting (basic 2E 3E anything) would works better than their broken new one.Could have been a 10/10 game.

99% of time when my Wizard was squished, is because of Charm/Dominate.

My band of 5 idiots immidiately decided to gangbang him - beacause hey, wie've travelled with this guy for 5 months so we must slaughtered him immediately. He would then spend rest of the fight sleeping.

Another flaw, the time to cast the anti confusion buff is too long, radius is too small.Plenty of spells rendered useless like this.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Another flaw, the time to cast the anti confusion buff is too long, radius is too small.Plenty of spells rendered useless like this.
I've been able to utilise this spell. The 'no casting out of combat' really does make it a lot less convenient though. re: Josh, I would like it if in some way shape or form it was just posted some place everyone could read it. I am beyond caring if he only engages with a community that behaves itself or gets banned from a forum they paid to join. I just bloody well want to read wtf is going on without praying someone like roguey is around to copy paste it. Lets face it though, I am retarded for ever hoping this game would be good or caring. Wtf am I even doing worrying about video games when I could be walking to the shop to see if they have a copy of flowers for roguey Algernon.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There was some quote from somewhere (someone will know the one I'm talking about) that said that fun gameplay comes from resource management.
Your criticisms are getting stupider and stupider. The game has more resource management than IE if anything, from limited camping and strategic resource health alone.

Say what you want about the criticism, but how is there more resource management? Health and endurance means you enter every battle at 100% health, and per encounters means you enter them with full offensive resources too. Every single dungeon has at least 1 camping supply in my limited experience, and resting is no less abusable in Pillars. You can walk back to an inn after all, and get a rest bonus and more supplies, the only thing stopping you in both IE games in self imposed limits.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Actually if you try walking back to an inn in Baldur's Gate, you may get hit by random encounter.
If you do this in POE, there are no random encounters that might impede you along the way.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Say what you want about the criticism, but how is there more resource management?Health and endurance means you enter every battle at 100% health

The only way you enter every battle with 100% health is if you use camping supplies. Which, you know, just happen to be a resource. That you have to manage. So your logic here is that there's no resource management, because you restored your health with resource management.

Brilliant.

and per encounters means you enter them with full offensive resources too..

And by full you mean missing 70% of shit that's not actually per encounter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom