Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My collected criticism on Pillars of Eternity (very minor spoilers)

Pillars of Eternity is

• Total voters

Kel

Novice
Edgy
Daily reminder how gooey SJW romantic writing kills pacing in ANY game and EVERY game:

edited to correct accountability

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We have an Eric Fenstermaker hater already? They grow up so quickly. *sniff*

Should have been cut imo so content could have been improved elsewhere.

Ah, but this is 2015. Today's incomplete content is tomorrow's DLC:

Feargus said:
Now, in the future, we look at it as also a great place where we can, when we add content to the game, where we can sort of have these quests, new people can show up. If we have new features, new items and things like that, we can add aspects to the buildings, in which those buildings can do new things with items, so it's definitely a core thing of the game that we plan to grow as we continue to grow the game.

Rake

Arcane
The crafting system in PoE sucks, yep.
You mean it's like any other crafting system? Yeah...
Not really.

A keep is a retarded feature as it goes against the very idea of adventuring. It doesn't add much, doesn't give anything you didn't have before (you're a lord of every dungeon and keep you cleared), and overall it's nothing but an ego booster.

A crafting system is a fairly useful and logical feature aimed to improve your gear and lessen the reliance on random items, which is important in a game with narrow weapon specialization. PoE's system isn't great or perfect but it's functional and useful, which is more than can be said about many other crafting systems.
No. Just no. A keep doesn't have to be at odds with a game's narrative, unless weare talking about an idea of adventuring that is illogical and retarded in the first place. (as in "wandering around the wilderness for no reason")
As for the crafting system, it's one of the two reasons itemization in PoE is bland and boring. "lessen the reliance on random items" is dealing with the problem ass backwards. There shouldn't be random items at all (at least from a power level and above). Junk loot and jems/consumables should be the only random items.
In practice, every crafting system is shit because: a)either you don't allow crafted items to be as good as/have the properties of found ones, making the whole system pointless, or: b) allow the Player to add the abilities, enchance his items as he/she wants, making found loot superfluous and strips every disticnive quality unique artifact have making itemization bland, like PoE.
The only good crafting system is something like Witcher 1, which exists in a separate dimension from loot, or at least something like KOTOR 2

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Daily reminder how Fenstermaker's gooey SJW romantic writing kills pacing in ANY game and EVERY game:

You know Avellone wrote Gann, right? And Safiya was a MacLean/Ziets collab (mostly MacLean though, George hates writing dialogue).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't get any high fantasy vibe from PoE so far.

:notsureifserious:

if the battlefield lights up like a christmas tree when people fight, that's a pretty sure-fire sign of high fantasy. ffs there ghosts walking around on the streets and people blowing up gods with magical mcguffin bombs

Kel

Novice
Edgy
Daily reminder how Fenstermaker's gooey SJW romantic writing kills pacing in ANY game and EVERY game:

You know Avellone wrote Gann, right? And Safiya was a MacLean/Ziets collab (mostly MacLean though, George hates writing dialogue).
If that's the case then I apologize, my bad.

fixed with edit

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
he keep in Pillars is better than any previous incarnation of a stronghold idea.

5752973c2789c585f6c5191b3a55b846fb37ac0129579253a423f950efcb82d7.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
A keep is a retarded feature as it goes against the very idea of adventuring.

It works fine in Baldur's Gate 2.
when people say that BG2 had a keep, are they referring to the pocket plane in TOB, or the fighter-only castle? or am I forgetting something?
because neither location had any "upkeep" micro-management. I would not compare either of them to the NWN2/POE/DAI castles.

lurker3000

Arcane
As others have said the biggest thing with the keep is that its just a money sink. If it was tied to any quests or even scripted events it would have been so much better.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I remember how BG2 was so much better than BG1. I expect PoE2 to follow the exactly same route with the revenues Obsidian got. BG1 had shitload of companions but only in BG2 they became interesting. Characters with their own stories, not a simple walking template of their class.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

when people say that BG2 had a keep, are they referring to the pocket plane in TOB, or the fighter-only castle? or am I forgetting something?

The class strongholds?

Mage's get Planar Sphere, Fighter's get the De'Arnise castle, Thieves get a guild, Bard's get a playhouse, Druid's get a grove, Paladins get a knight's order, cleric get a temple suited to their alignment, ranger gets a cabin in the woods and a rural village. They're really just facilitators for small gold earnings and quests/decisions that are "lord/archmage/guildleader"-like in their flavour. Meaning that they are based on the game's already implemented systems instead of being pointless minigames.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But the keep isn't a moneysink. I sink nothing into it. I give it pennies and it spits pennies back. It's like a bank that only takes very small loans.

Athelas

Arcane

The class strongholds?

Mage's get Planar Sphere, Fighter's get the De'Arnise castle, Thieves get a guild, Bard's get a playhouse. They're really just facilitators for small gold earnings and quests/decisions that are "lord/archmage/guildleader"-like in their flavour. Meaning that they are based on the game's already implemented systems instead of being pointless minigames.
I don't think scripted quests can be considered 'systems'.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The class strongholds?

Mage's get Planar Sphere, Fighter's get the De'Arnise castle, Thieves get a guild, Bard's get a playhouse. They're really just facilitators for small gold earnings and quests/decisions that are "lord/archmage/guildleader"-like in their flavour. Meaning that they are based on the game's already implemented systems instead of being pointless minigames.
I don't think scripted quests can be considered 'systems'.

You misunderstood me. My whole point is that rather than being systems of their own they're just extension of whatever the game does already. As in: you go questing and do combat encounters.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
As others have said the biggest thing with the keep is that its just a money sink. If it was tied to any quests or even scripted events it would have been so much better.

It doesn't even serve as a good money sink. Without looting everything I have 40k gold and I haven't progressed to act 3.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
We have an Eric Fenstermaker hater already? They grow up so quickly. *sniff*

Should have been cut imo so content could have been improved elsewhere.
Disappointment, not hate.

Whenever a designer chooses "look at muh literary leet skillz" instead of "look at the risks I took at being even MORE non-linear" an angel is impaled on a rusty pike in heaven.

I don't want a Harvard snoot trying to emulate his own ego from a previous game, I want the freeform epicness of Darklands, Fallout 2 and/or Arcanum improved upon.

Rake

Arcane
I want the non-linear epicness of Fallout 2 and/or Arcanum improved upon.
No one gives a shit about your wants. The game was sold as a IE successor. It has many faults, but not being Arcanum isn't one of them.
Wait for the Arcanum spiritual successor to bitch about your "non-linear epicness"

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I agree with most of your points but I think that PoE is far superior to BG and is good or better than BG2.
I understand and might even agree with it being on par with Baldur's Gate 1, especially considering the presentation. It's a bit cheating though, as Obsidian had a clear blue-print and 17 years of advances in technology, user-experience and ruleset to take upon, while BG was made by people that had never made a video game before.

But being better than Baldur's Gate 2? To that I disagree 100%. Besides being more user-friendly, there's nothing in the game I would consider superior. Encounter design, itemization, story, spells, NPC's arc, the villain, the character system, the cities, the boss battles, etc... BG2 clearly is a notch above PoE. At most Durante is a better NPC than any in BG2, and the premise (but not the execution) of the story is better, but that's about it. Pretty dissapointing for all the resources and opportunities Obsidian had in hands.
Oh God, it's that bad
Cbs338z.png
?

Kel

Novice
Edgy
I want the non-linear epicness of Fallout 2 and/or Arcanum improved upon.
No one gives a shit about your wants. The game was sold as a IE successor. It has many faults, but not being Arcanum isn't one of them.
Wait for the Arcanum spiritual successor to bitch about your "non-linear epicness"
Because you would consider BG2 to be linear? You poor millennial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom