Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My NV impressions

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
MetalCraze said:
Gentlemen - this exhibit shows you a typical consumerist sheeple. A consumerist sheeple would bitch about the decline and how greedy devs and publishers produce bad games but the moment they will release their new game the sheeple will run and shell out any moneys they'll demand from him.

Gentlemen - this is why we can't have good things.

Jesus christ will you shut up? You're not fucking smart and you don't have independent thought

Great work bro, your shit actually made me rage, this is much appreciated

:thumbsup:

:rage:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Clockwork Knight said:
I.C. Wiener said:
-: Killing an enemy always results in the VATS slow motion nonsense even if you're fighting real time, FUUUUUUUUUCK

What? I never saw that happening on gameplay videos. You sure it's not just slowdown (remember, Obsidian)?

It's not on every death. And when you can switch it so you remain in first person mode, which basically rewards you for some of the kills with a temporary slowdown that makes aiming easier. So I left the option on.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Hardcode mode, Normal difficulty, S-5, P-7, E-2, C-9, I-5, A-5, L-7. Good natured, Wild Wasteland.

No bugs and no lag for me so far all maxed out settings. i7 920, 8gb memory, HD 5850 512mb.

Iron sights are awesome and I have head shots like crazy while sneaking around in the wilds at long range. Enemies die within one shot or two with my varmint rifle which is in crappy condition though it seems to degrade a lot slower than FO3 and with my repair skill at 40ish seem to repair about the same.

Sleeping in hardcore mode restores nothing except your sleep gauge to 0 and the gauge takes a while to go up. However water and food go up pretty fast and bottles of water only decrease it by 60 a bottle. Some edible items decrease both food and water though not by huge amounts. All damage must be healed by other means and broken limbs are a pain. Landmines go off really fast for my character. Basically beep beep boom.

Only first town and some countryside so not too far in and only one barter speech skill check did I get to make. Netted me more caps for helping someone.

Magazines give +10 to a skill based on what type of magazine for a certain time period though I haven't used any yet.

So far having a lot more fun than FO3. :smug:

hiver

How long does it take for lack of water and food to start having any detrimental effect?

How long does it take for a stimpack healing and can you just use 10 of them then have "regenerating" health for some time?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
hoochimama said:
I notice the condition gauge for your weapon on the lower right corner has a notch/limit thingie, what does it mean? As long as your gun's condition is above the limit it will operate at 100%?

I disliked how armor and weapons' effectiveness in fo3 decreased linearly with their condition, this would be an improvement.

The notch is 100%, anything above that instead of repair it you're maintaining it and it does make a big difference on how long you have to repair/maintain it again.

The iron sights are nice, gunplay doesn't seem as bad as F3. There are some tough opponents, wandering around I found to roaming feral ghouls that took next to no damage from any of my weapons and fucked up my shit. Not being able to bump up your SPECIAL stats once a level is a good change.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I just saw a video review from the Escapist. The reviewer said the hardcore mode would make more hardcore RPG-fans remember with fondness the same features in the original fallout... You know, having to eat and drink.

Shit. Sometimes I think they have to be actively trying to be this bad.

hiver

Escapist is a bunch of faggots trying to pretend they are some sort of elite in something.

random_encounter

Educated
hiver said:
How long does it take for lack of water and food to start having any detrimental effect?
Not sure of an exact number of in-game hours, but it goes through different stages that affect stats. Makes food a lot more important than in F3. I was scrabbling for Gecko steaks and other odds and ends at one point. Clean water still heals you up in tiny increments.

hiver said:
How long does it take for a stimpack healing and can you just use 10 of them then have "regenerating" health for some time?
Stim packs, initially for me, restore 8hp every second over six seconds. The effects also stack so if you use two at the same time, you'll get double the healing for example.

Better Medic skill should improve that (it's around 35 right now). Broken limbs can only be fixed using the rarer (and much more expensive) Doctor's Bag in Hardcore mode.

EDIT: Hardcore mode also appears to put a hard limit (1000) on how many regular saves (as opposed to Quicksaves and Autosaves) you're allowed. It's pretty ridiculous so I'm not sure why they did this.

I've already encountered the Quicksave bug which can be fixed by copy/pasting the .bak saves over the .fos ones and the engine is still glitchy. Behold, herald of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Flying Brahmin:

falloutnvbrahmin.jpg

Topher

Cipher
hiver said:
Escapist is a bunch of faggots trying to pretend they are some sort of elite in something.

That's probably the most ridiculous review I've ever read just for the fact that he spends two whole paragraphs describing a single random encounter and how he goes on to describe how meaningless it is and how that lack of meaning and back-story gives it a greater impact on his imagination. The encounter he describes is a known easter egg and he just missed totally missed that fact.

hiver

yup. Faggots. uneducated faggots.
Stim packs, initially for me, restore 8hp every second over six seconds. The effects also stack so if you use two at the same time, you'll get double the healing for example.
Shit. Is it possible to fake health regeneration then by taking several and having them heal you over time continously?

Clean water still heals you up in tiny increments.
Does prolonged thirst affect your stats negatively?
And can you quelch it with whiskey? :P
Or other booze. or only hunger has that effect on stats?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wouldn't it be nice if there was an easter egg random encounter where you found a book, or rather, a codex, that you could bring along and spout random hate-filled familiar sounding quotes whenever you did something.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
treave said:
Wouldn't it be nice if there was an easter egg random encounter where you found a book, or rather, a codex, that you could bring along and spout random hate-filled familiar sounding quotes whenever you did something.

The modders here are already at work on this, even though it's a low priority at the moment what with the need for Tranny skins and cocktopus model.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Hardcode mode, Normal difficulty, S-4, P-5, E-5, C-5, I-10, A-1, L-10. Good natured, Built to destroy, tagged guns, speech and repair.

Playing it on a C2Q 3GHz, 4GB ram, geforce 8800gtx 768MB win7 64 on high quality, default proposed settings. Getting quite a few CTDs, maybe once every hour, didn't happen with FO3, also saw one of those geometry bugs where an object seems to infinitely stretch out over the distance, restart.

Dialogs are much improved over fo3(what a surprise), faces and voices too, third person camera doesn't go half as far as in fo3 and aiming with it seems to work fairly well at any distance.

I play without vats and both the player and the npcs are more accurate than in fo3, because of this gunfights seem to end a lot faster.

After a couple of hours of play(and about 3 in-game days) I've had to eat and drink several times but haven't had to sleep. So far food, water and beds have been abundant and the distance between locations has been short so hardcore mode doesn't really feel like a survival mode.

Lots of skillchecks in general, but they're hard skill checks and the ones I've seen so far you can retry those checks whenever you want, this encourages the powergamer in me to hang onto those magical pants of +5 bartering in case I'm a few points short of a skill check. Skill magazines seem to follow the same idea.

Having fun so far, hope it keeps up.

hoochimama

Liturgist
You get skullfucked by a bullet in the beginning, it's all done very tastefully.

Derper

Prophet
Grunker said:
I just saw a video review from the Escapist. The reviewer said the hardcore mode would make more hardcore RPG-fans remember with fondness the same features in the original fallout... You know, having to eat and drink.

Shit. Sometimes I think they have to be actively trying to be this bad.
You'd get dehydrated without your canteens, no?

Mastermind said:
The 1000 save limit has nothing to do with hardcore mode.

Does anyone even use so many saves at once? CASM cycles up to 100 saves per character, I think.

Or is this about save number not going above 1000? Isn't it the same as clock not going above 99h99min (i.e., doesn't matter)?

Grunker said:

Hardcore also gives ammo weight and limbs can't be fixed by applying a stimpak on them. Maybe that's what he's referring to.

edit: Oh, and companions aren't set to essential in Hardcore.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Well, i logged in today and it looks like I lost about 1 hour of play thanks to that save bug. I feel a right decent codex rage coming on.

:rage:

random_encounter

Educated
hiver said:
Shit. Is it possible to fake health regeneration then by taking several and having them heal you over time continously?
I'm a little unclear on what you're asking here. Stacking the stims seemed to heal me at a slightly faster rate with double the effect, so I suppose if you had a huge number of these and activated so many at the same time, you'd be healed up in no time at all. Stims also seem to be a bit more scarce, though, but a lot more important since Sleep doesn't restore HP.

hiver said:
Does prolonged thirst affect your stats negatively?
And can you quelch it with whiskey? :P
Or other booze. or only hunger has that effect on stats?
Yes to all three. Wine also quenches your thirst along with whiskey and they will affect stats (-1 INT for wine, I believe)

Mastermind said:
The 1000 save limit has nothing to do with hardcore mode.
My bad. I thought it did only because I've never seen the limit there before and I jumped right into Hardcore mode as soon as I was able to after leaving the Doc's house, so I just tied the two together.

Freelance Henchman said:
Does this game feature rape?
Probably not, but I've already run across a row of crucified people thanks to a post-apocalyptic Roman legion.

Derper said:
Is there a canteen in this game? If so, I haven't found one yet but it would frickin' help out since bottles of purified water are scarce.

Oh, and fast travel. Yes, it's back and Hardcore mode doesn't disable it, but you can't use it if you're too thirsty or hungry since you might die along the way.

Mastermind said:
Well, i logged in today and it looks like I lost about 1 hour of play thanks to that save bug. I feel a right decent codex rage coming on.

Posted this in another thread, but if you get the Quicksave bug, you can do this:

The good news is that the saves make backups of themselves, appending .bak to the file type (quicksave.fos.bak). Should have noticed this earlier, but here are the steps to fix this if you run into it:

1) If you start the game up and look at your list of saves and see that they're not the fucking saves you made just an hour or so ago when you Quicksaved and left the game for a piss, exit the game. Now.

2) Go to the directory where the saves are. Under XP, that's usually:

C:\Documents and Settings\RPGCodex\My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Saves

3) You'll notice that for whatever reason, the game updated the quicksave and autosave .fos files by the date. But it usually leaves the .baks alone until you go so far into the game and try to save again.

4) Copy the .bak files out someplace like your desktop or your anus. You decide. Keep the folder open.

5) Remove the .bak from the file name so that only .fos is left

6) Start the game up. When it gets to the menu with the Load option, Alt+tab out, copy and paste the 'good' saves over (the ones you renamed without .bak), replacing the ones in the directory from Step 2, and then hit the Load button. You should now see the saves you wanted.

random_encounter said:
Is there a canteen in this game? If so, I haven't found one yet but it would frickin' help out since bottles of purified water are scarce.

from Gamefaqs, "There are other canteens in the game, but they are only attached to certain armors you wear. The only standalone canteen that you can take anywhere is the preorder one".

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
You get a canteen with one of the pre-order packs (i have one but I'm not playing hardcore so all it does is automatically restore a bit of health once in a blue moon).

And it's too late, I already redid some of the quests quickly by cheating. I'll try to get through the main quest early today so i can post my impressions on that. I'll write a full review after a second playthrough in which i ignore the main quest and just play it like i actually want it to play (explore on my own).

Derper

Prophet
random_encounter said:
Derper said:
That was in regards to the two first fallouts. Check Grunkers post.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
bonescraper said:
DUDE! You must totally install this:
banner-9.jpg

Now it's an instant 11/10.

Good to see where peoples priorities lay these days. It only took a day from release for that to appear and it's #1 in the top 100 list in Fallout: New Vegas Sexus.

:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom