Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo - Old school RPG inspired by W7 and EoB

Alex

Arcane
Hey guys/gals, quick question.

We are discussing the mythology skill and potential additional penalty if you don't identify monsters in the fight (so when you get ?? rat ?? instead of Giant rat for example - like in Wizardry).
The idea is, that if you don't know the monster, all physical attacks would have a bit of a penalty (not too much, but let say in the range of 10-20% ?) - as the fighter wouldn't know where (on the body) the monster is most vulnerable to attacks
This would also add additional utility to mythology skill.

What do you think about this idea?
Would you be up for it? Do you think it's no good? This is another one where we WILL listen to you and will go with what the majority of you will "vote for".

I will also have new material to show any day now, along with a few news tidbits. We are "building" the game every day - So stay tuned ;)

I think it makes sense, but... Well, if we are being grounded in reality, 99% of the time what you know about goblin anatomy should be valid whether you are fighting a goblin, a hobgoblin, a gremlin or whatever. I think maybe the other way around might make more sense? Since you don't know so well how a creature is likely to act, you are more likely to be hit by it (especially by non standard attacks) and they are more likely to have greater effect. I mean, if you don't know that the ?? bad hair lady ?? is a medusa, you are more likely to look her in the eye. For a simple solution, I think increasing the attack chance (or lowering the effective defence of the party) against unidentified creatures, as well as it affecting special abilities/spells (make them harder to resist) might be a better solution which is still simple. If you were willing to put more work into this feature, you could also have special effects for having a creature identified. For instance, if you identify the ?? green monster ?? as a troll, you get a chance to kill it for good when you make it reach 0 hp. If not, and if the final blow wasn't done by fire damage, it will regenerate in a couple of rounds.

newtmonkey

Arcane
SirBlabsAlot
I know it's mostly the same thing said differently, but rather than a penalty for not identifying the monster, it makes more sense to me to give a bonus for identifying it.

SirBlabsAlot

MegaVision Software
Developer

We are discussing the mythology skill and potential additional penalty if you don't identify monsters in the fight (so when you get ?? rat ?? instead of Giant rat for example - like in Wizardry).
The idea is, that if you don't know the monster, all physical attacks would have a bit of a penalty (not too much, but let say in the range of 10-20% ?) - as the fighter wouldn't know where (on the body) the monster is most vulnerable to attacks

Would you be up for it? Do you think it's no good? This is another one where we WILL listen to you and will go with what the majority of you will "vote for".

I will also have new material to show any day now, along with a few news tidbits. We are "building" the game every day - So stay tuned ;)

I think it makes sense, but... Well, if we are being grounded in reality, 99% of the time what you know about goblin anatomy should be valid whether you are fighting a goblin, a hobgoblin, a gremlin or whatever. I think maybe the other way around might make more sense? Since you don't know so well how a creature is likely to act, you are more likely to be hit by it (especially by non standard attacks) and they are more likely to have greater effect. I mean, if you don't know that the ?? bad hair lady ?? is a medusa, you are more likely to look her in the eye. For a simple solution, I think increasing the attack chance (or lowering the effective defence of the party) against unidentified creatures, as well as it affecting special abilities/spells (make them harder to resist) might be a better solution which is still simple. If you were willing to put more work into this feature, you could also have special effects for having a creature identified. For instance, if you identify the ?? green monster ?? as a troll, you get a chance to kill it for good when you make it reach 0 hp. If not, and if the final blow wasn't done by fire damage, it will regenerate in a couple of rounds.
Hmmm. Interesting take on it.
Will discuss it with others.

And interested (again) what others here think of my or Alex's ideas?

By the way, I'm in pain today (health issues), but ?? Bad Hair Lady ?? really made me laugh. So thanks for that :lol:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
99% of the time what you know about goblin anatomy should be valid whether you are fighting a goblin, a hobgoblin, a gremlin or whatever

Well you must first know it is in fact a hobogoblin and not a ?? vegetable golem ?? tho :M

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think it makes sense, but... Well, if we are being grounded in reality, 99% of the time what you know about goblin anatomy should be valid whether you are fighting a goblin, a hobgoblin, a gremlin or whatever. I think maybe the other way around might make more sense? Since you don't know so well how a creature is likely to act, you are more likely to be hit by it (especially by non standard attacks) and they are more likely to have greater effect. I mean, if you don't know that the ?? bad hair lady ?? is a medusa, you are more likely to look her in the eye. For a simple solution, I think increasing the attack chance (or lowering the effective defence of the party) against unidentified creatures, as well as it affecting special abilities/spells (make them harder to resist) might be a better solution which is still simple.
I agree with this.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Well, if we are being grounded in reality, 99% of the time what you know about goblin anatomy should be valid whether you are fighting a goblin, a hobgoblin, a gremlin or whatever.
Such things could be chalked over with differences of training, fighting style, or preferred equipment.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It is a nice idea as long it is not done in retarded way. Make a common enemies group where everyone knows them and gets neither bonuses nor malices from not knowing. Not being able to kill a rat because you don't know what rat is and you are not a three year old infant,is retarded. Make it so you have lower damage if you don't know them and higher damage if you know more shit about the enemies.

The Limper

Educated
99% of the time what you know about goblin anatomy should be valid whether you are fighting a goblin, a hobgoblin, a gremlin or whatever

Well you must first know it is in fact a hobogoblin and not a ?? vegetable golem ?? tho :M
A little know fact is the dreaded Veggie Golem packs quite a punch, especially the ‘Squash’ variant, which is much nastier than the feeble Vegan Golem. Tis true, I swear!

negator2vc

Scholar
SirBlabsAlot
Better give a bonus to the party instead for identifying the monster true nature.
Beside at the beginning of the game where both skills (mythology & combat skill) are low the player will be in a even greater disadvantage against monsters. Both from lack of combat skills and from lack of mythology skill.

Another idea could be to provide different advantage when the party know it's enemies like
breaking some of the monster's resistances, immunities or even nullifying some of the monster's attacks.
The party know what to expect against the monster.

belated

Augur
I though Caves of Lore did this quite well by each monster having three categories of monster lore: species, type and body. So since you'll know from the start that a skeleton is of the undead type, if you've killed enough other undead you'll already know that it's weak against silver/holy/sun etc. But you won't know it's weak against blunt unless you've killed enough of its species. Likewise you may have killed enough elementals to know they're for instance weak against magic, but not enough stone elementals to know they're resistant against physical.
https://caves-of-lore.fandom.com/wiki/Monsters
Felt like a nice way of creating groups so what you learn won't apply only to a specific monster.

agris

Arcane
Patron

a couple thoughts.

1. mythology seems like a strange name used to identify animals like a rat, RUS or not
2. putting the creature's full name behind a skillcheck and applying a malus to player attacks is one way to do this; you're creating penalties for not having enough of the skill. have you thought of the flip-side: provide additional bonuses for enough skill? such as insight into creature's health, resistances, or the upcoming attack (such as signaling AoE vs single target)

might and magic X had an interesting system, wherein you had to beat a creature Y times to be able to view it's entry in an in-game bestiary. full unlocked, you would see the creature's HP, AC, special attacks, resistances etc. More info would unlock as you went from defeating the creature once, to Y times.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Going to agree the word "Mythology" for identifying creatures seems really odd.

Something like Bestiary(?). I'm sure some people could offer some better worded examples.

Casual Hero

Augur
I would agree that effectively permanently penalizing the players for not having a specific skill is a bad idea.
I think giving a bonus for successful identification is a much better idea, like what newtmonkey said.

Alex

Arcane
Guys, it really doesn't matter much... or at all... if it is a bonus for having a skill or a penalty for not having it. What matters is if the skill can hit the sweet spot of being useful without being mandatory.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Something like Bestiary(?). I'm sure some people could offer some better worded examples.
"Naturalism", or even the workman-like "Animal lore" would be a better fit imo

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

"Naturalism", or even the workman-like "Animal lore" would be a better fit imo
You fight not just animals though, so Mythology is fine as a name. Wizardry used it too.

I think that either giving a slight critical chance bonus for identifying the creature is the best idea. And/or being able to see its HP, resistances and so on.

covr

Prophet
Patron

There could be also some very rare monsters basically resistant to any kind of attacks without a proper identification. Vendors should have tomes/scrolls containing information on such specific groups of monsters, enabling the party to kill them with ease.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Well, in my opinion, if the creature is unrecognised, then it should be more difficult to defeat. Consequently, I would increase such a creature's chances of dealing critical hits, but also give heroes a small 10% hit penalty for any non-spell attacks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom