Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Necromunda: Hired Gun from Streum On Studio

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
On sale!

After seeing this review I have decided it just isn't worth it. Looks like a Doom 2016 knock off.

Curratum

On sale!

After seeing this review I have decided it just isn't worth it. Looks like a Doom 2016 knock off.

Not so much that it is a knock off, the art is great and some of the levels are a lot of fun. It's just that it performs hideously.

Curratum

I'd be fine with that honestly. I never listened to a single word of the "story", just mashed buttons in the hub, upgraded my shit and went to shoot more things. If you treat it like a modern version of Doom, it works pretty well.

Have they fixed the mystery freezing and fps drops over time? I might get it for a tenner in the autumn sale.

Just finished this. Best 40k shooter I've played.

Typical Streum On - the game lacks polish but some things are done to a remarkably high standard. Better game than Deathwing. Not as good as Divine Cybermancy.

Environment design and art direction are top notch. The size and verticality of the combat arenas is pretty wild, proper bombast. Music also great. Apparently by the same guy who did the E.Y.E. soundtrack. Guns are all fun, very few complaints. Weapon models take up too much of the screen in some cases despite the giant FOV. The enemies are pretty canny too - lots of flanking, flushing you out agressively with grenades, chasing you down when vulnerable. The abilities would be OP in isolation but you get melted so quickly under direct fire that you really do need them. Much fun to be had wallrunning while chaining perfect aim and heightened relfexes. Some evidence in the main levels that Streum are getting better at encounter design with some fun arena fights. They have a real talent for creating fun weapons and abilities matched with cool levels to use them in but haven't quite cracked enemy placement. Still too reliant on spawning waves into a level and calling it done.

Delighted that Streum are still in business. Very few modern devs culitvate an instantlly recognisable style the way they do.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It completely left my mind that last month I bought this from a reseller for pennies on the dollar, probably not the best start for a seemingly forgettable game..

I enjoyed EYE years ago, so I have a decent amount of optimism

PanickedTushkano

Educated
I was still playing it at the beginning of this year after about a year of repeatedly returning to it .

It may not be as good as EYE, but the gameplay loop is easily the best they have managed so far. Depending on the map it can be a pure joy to play.

Would have wished for more interesting, somewhat slower character development and better balance on some guns. Also, more customization for the Bounty maps would have made it easier to engage with the system. It's not very useable right now and you need to know what you want.

This game felt extremely undercooked and half-assed, but I still believe in Streum on delivering a real sleeper hit.... some day.
It's a conundrum.

Streum are a tiny studio hence why their titles tend to be so unpolished. But this likely also explains why some of their ideas and execution are inspired in a way that most contemporary AA stuff isn't. No space for focus group bullshit or getting bogged down by feature creep.

I'd love for them to expand and use the extra resources to make something more fully developed but I'd worry about the influence of the money men and managers an expansion would inevitably entail.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It would be great if little studios with cool ideas could grow, but that indie world of games looks over saturated. It reminds me of bands back in the day, most of them didn't make it, even ones that are good. There were too many bands, record companies would dispose of bins full of tapes they were sent from people, didn't even bother listening to any of them.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I enjoyed this more than Doom Eternal. Lot more. And this was made by like 11 people. Impressive fucking achivement given that.

Ivan

Arcane
I enjoyed this more than Doom Eternal. Lot more. And this was made by like 11 people. Impressive fucking achivement given that.
Doom Eternal is the best FPS I've ever played. This piques my interest. I can forgive a bit of jank for good gunplay. I'll look to pick this up.

No space for focus group bullshit or getting bogged down by feature creep.
He says this in a thread about a game that tried to chase the nudoom trend.
I'll concede that awesome button executions in FPSes are stupid bullshit that shouldn't exist but I didn't find it too similar to nudoom otherwise. The big levels and high mobility are more Titanfall 2 adjacent than anything else, mixed in with some E.Y.E. style active abilities. Game would do well to lose the item farming too, doesn't add anything.

Can't comment on Eternal, haven't played. Can't get past the depiction of the Doom Marine as nerd superhero funkopop collector with the attendant gameplay consequences.

Ivan

Arcane
No space for focus group bullshit or getting bogged down by feature creep.
He says this in a thread about a game that tried to chase the nudoom trend.
I'll concede that awesome button executions in FPSes are stupid bullshit that shouldn't exist but I didn't find it too similar to nudoom otherwise. The big levels and high mobility are more Titanfall 2 adjacent than anything else, mixed in with some E.Y.E. style active abilities. Game would do well to lose the item farming too, doesn't add anything.

Can't comment on Eternal, haven't played. Can't get past the depiction of the Doom Marine as nerd superhero funkopop collector with the attendant gameplay consequences.
It's the best FPS combat loop I've experienced. It gave me a similar high that DMC/Bayonetta/Revengeance did in terms of dancing with the enemies and managing weapons/resources.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom