Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Negative Dragon Age preview

Gromnir

Liturgist
Volourn said:
*shrug* Can't please everyone. Funny enough, the people bashing DA the most will be amongst the first to purchase, steal, and play it. R00fles!

being tangential prevents even the possibility o' romances from being good.

being tangential makes it very easy for Gromnir to skip the romances.

hate bio romances ain't enough to keep us from buying the game. am more curious 'bout how the combat will work if is made so that can be handled via a xbox game pad.

HA! Good Fun!

aries202

Erudite
Apart from complaining about the voice acting (and he apparently didn't get the memo about Leliana's French accent) he really should have checked the forst Baldur's gate game out.

That game, BG1, did have (or was it BG2) a scene where you could sleep with Viconia (screen fade to black) and then Jaheira would leave your party forever, iirc. Or vice versa, I think, iif Jaheira was in your party. You could also choose different dialogue options thaht would result in either Jaheira or Viconia being mad at you. DA: Origins just takes the romance dialogues one or two steps further, making you choose between the ones you love - and then one you just havd sex with.

If we compare Leliana's response (all is forgiven if you love me, really) with what can happen IRL, I don''t think the result differs much. (I do believe that Leliana is written by either Ms. Kirby or Ms. Chee...)

And it seems like Mike Laidlaw didn't mention a) you can avoid the romance, and hence the sex scenes alltogether as the romances in DA: Origins are completely optional and b) the result does not have to end with you sleeping with two women, but at different times; your choices do matter...

Many female gamers at the Bioware boards keep asking Bioware will there be romances that might lead to a love scene between a man and a woman, or a man and a man or woman and a woman .And so Bioware naturally includes this....

Try looking at it this way:
If previews were done so extensively 10-12 years ago that they are now, I bet the guy (or any guy?) would have been just as much against the romance options in BG2, possibly also the romance options in BG1.

As for Morrigan's outfit in the game, there is a story reason as to why she dresses this way - at least according to the game's lead writer, David Gaider.

Gromnir

Liturgist
"I really want some concrete evidence that this stuff sells well with women of at least moderate intelligence"

bioware seems to thinks they has pretty solid evidence. is no secret that kotor's carth were developed via considerable feedback from the Ladies of Neverwinter site... and you not gotta read too many romance related threads at bio to sees what kinda demographic is clamoring for more romance.

HA! Good Fun!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Gromnir said:
"I really want some concrete evidence that this stuff sells well with women of at least moderate intelligence"

bioware seems to thinks they has pretty solid evidence. is no secret that kotor's carth were developed via considerable feedback from the Ladies of Neverwinter site... and you not gotta read too many romance related threads at bio to sees what kinda demographic is clamoring for more romance.

HA! Good Fun!

This reminds me of that thing Lyric Suite was talking about.

nomask7

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

This reminds me of that thing Lyric Suite was talking about.
It's that thing Simon Sheppard wrote a 500-page book about (Tyranny of Ambiguity). Not sure if you've noticed. Scroll down a bit for samples:

http://www.heretical.com/

wrathofdog

Scholar
This is most disheartening. If you're going to have sex in a game, for god's sake, don't do it like that. It's already bordering on the heinously pathetic. We need less 'dark and gritty' and more 'tasteful.'

I hope Bioware at least gives you the option of brutally crushing any burgeoning romance, like in BGII.

Shannow

Waster of Time
wrathofdog said:
I hope Bioware at least gives you the option of brutally crushing any burgeoning romance, like in BGII.
But then you(r companions) miss out on all the stat boosts that come with coupling. You don't want that, do you?

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
aries202 said:
As for Morrigan's outfit in the game, there is a story reason as to why she dresses this way - at least according to the game's lead writer, David Gaider.
My fear only grows...

Last time I saw that in a game, it was elves wearing Skimpy armour to distract men in Combat. The fact it was in was bad enough, but then they tried to justify it which just made it horrible.

Thrasher

Erudite
What do you expect from a bunch of sex-starved nerds trying to write romance?

aries202 said:

Calling it right now...it's probably because of her shape-shifting, which is still dumb.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm slightly worried that even the gaming journalists are slamming Dragon Age. I figured I was just in for another Generic Bioware RPG which I would have a decent time playing through once and then that would be that. Feeling uncomfortable about that preorder now.

Multi-headed Cow

It was $25 with no tax and free shipping if I preordered, or I could not-preorder and wait a decent while for it to get decently priced. All Bioware RPGs are the same, I figured I was safe.

Nael

Arcane
I've said it once, and I'll say it again...

It's pretty obvious to me that Dragon Age is being marketed to the muscle shirt wearing, AXE smelling, UFC watching, underage girl dating, trailer park living crowd. If you aren't in this demographic then the game is NOT FOR YOU. You are a FAGGOT.

The brightside? Volourn might finally get some acceptance from this crowd.

aries202 said:
If we compare Leliana's response (all is forgiven if you love me, really) with what can happen IRL, I don''t think the result differs much. (I do believe that Leliana is written by either Ms. Kirby or Ms. Chee...)

Sure... If you're the most moronic sort of misogynist.

There should seriously be an intelligence or stealth check on fucking some trollop within 5 feet of your sleeping "girlfriend".

Fyz

Scholar
aries202 said:
I actualy think it's the other way around. They tailor the story so that bare boobs don't feel out of place.
They want their game to have women dressed in straps, so they adjust the lore so that it fits in. Even though old games also had such 'features', at least the time spent on lore and story design was spent on more meaningful things than creating the lore for chainmail bikinis.

MetalCraze

Arcane
A sex-scene to which you get by giving a present and receiving a terrible flirting line in return?
Oh boy I hope they will give me collectrible cards for that.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ahzaruuk said:
Last time I saw that in a game, it was elves wearing Skimpy armour to distract men in Combat. The fact it was in was bad enough, but then they tried to justify it which just made it horrible.

Usually it's best left unexplained. Torment is the only one that comes close with "the thiefling needs to let her skin breathe", but even that one's not that convincing.

Want to show pixel flesh to get the geeks all hot? Go ahead. Just be honest about it.

Like that creepy, creepy French developer. Makes my skin crawl, but at least he's honest about what he's doing.

bhlaab

Erudite
You don't understand, Heroine XYZ needs to dress like a stripper because of freedom of movement. And also, if you actually bothered to check the lore, the ore used in her clit ring is infused with an everlasting power so you've made yourself look like a fool right there.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Ahzaruuk said:

Usually it's best left unexplained. Torment is the only one that comes close with "the thiefling needs to let her skin breathe", but even that one's not that convincing.

Want to show pixel flesh to get the geeks all hot? Go ahead. Just be honest about it.

Like that creepy, creepy French developer. Makes my skin crawl, but at least he's honest about what he's doing.
...oh my god

That was creepy beyond belief.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
MetalCraze said:
A sex-scene to which you get by giving a present and receiving a terrible flirting line in return?
Oh boy I hope they will give me collectrible cards for that.

But in The Witchar it is mature 'cause you can't make the wimmen pregnant or give 'em a good 'ol dose of STDs. See, it teaches young men RESPONSIBILITY.

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
nomask7 said:
It's that thing Simon Sheppard wrote a 500-page book about (Tyranny of Ambiguity). Not sure if you've noticed. Scroll down a bit for samples:

http://www.heretical.com/

Damn, that is one of the most insightful and true commentaries on the differences between men and women that I've ever read. Highly recommended!

Ty

Novice
I can't understand the ceaseless criticism of barely clad women in a fantasy game (although that sounds funny).
Sometimes it comes up, sometimes not. I'd say 90% of every game with a woman in it, propagated a similar image (even PS:T did, enthusiastically so). That's why I never can take this serious. It always sounds like from some theater critic, who was suddenly condemned to write previews for videogames, and is almost surprised that such a thing exists but only remembers something similar from the shelves of the last bookstore. Or in short, it's pretentious and totally selective.

But I can relate to the criticism of the dialog itself. I feared as much. But I suppose this might just be the cheeky „Joss Whedon“-tone which David Gaider is so fond of.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
alankeyessays.jpg

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Ty said:
I can't understand the ceaseless criticism of barely clad women in a fantasy game (although that sounds funny).
Sometimes it comes up, sometimes not. I'd say 90% of every game with a woman in it, propagated a similar image (even PS:T did, enthusiastically so). That's why I never can take this serious. It always sounds like from some theater critic, who was suddenly condemned to write previews for videogames, and is almost surprised that such a thing exists but only remembers something similar from the shelves of the last bookstore. Or in short, it's pretentious and totally selective.

But I can relate to the criticism of the dialog itself. I feared as much. But I suppose this might just be the cheeky „Joss Whedon“-tone which David Gaider is so fond of.
When anything is done along those lines (Such as One set of armour making men look like fully clad Badasses of Doom making women look like Sluts the Tin-Man would pick up.) It just gives the feeling that the Devs are taking a particularily dislikable attitude when creating a fantasy setting-especially when romance is involved. Along with all that other "DARK GRITTY GRAPHICS THROUGH A COFFE FILTER DARK MATURE" bullshit, it adds up to suggesting that the Devs all came straight out of Highschool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom