Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights 2 : The Underrated Gem

NWN2 vs other RPGs

• NWN2 is God

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • NWNw2 is underrated

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • NWN2 has bad camera

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • BG2 is my god and iam a fag

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I am a punk who hates NWN2 because i lack any real brain

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Neverwinter Nights 2 : The Underrated Gem

This, but Dragon Age Origins instead of Neverwinter Nights 2.
NWN2 however does have the best expansion campaigns, except for maybe New Vegas.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I admire the courage it takes to come out as a shit-taste user.

There's no courage involved it seems, since you flaunt it around pretty easily.
Yeah, I have absolutely no problem admitting that I like NWN2:

I thought Josh would have worked on way more games.

why do you guys worship a person who has worked on one good game again

Joke's on you, I have shit taste and I liked every single one of those games. :dance:

I enjoyed NWN2 OC for what it is: a very forgettable videogame adaptation of D&D 3.5.

Icewind Dale is the complete opposite of that: nothing about it is forgettable, every single small detail is incredibly memorable. Everything contributes to building up the general atmosphere that pervades the game from the very first moment in the Winter's Cradle tavern to the very last encounter in the temple.

It obviously isn't a game for everyone: if you are only interested in the development of a story around your main character and in his interaction with the world, you won't find any of that in IWD. But that's okay, because it manages to reach its goal (recreating an epic journey through suggestive locations with a very specific tone) in a perfect way. That's the reason why IWD gets included among the "classics", next to BG, BG2 and PS:T. Everyone of these games sets (maybe involuntarily) its own goals and stays true to them from beginning to end. In the case of NWN2, what are its goals? The best thing that can be said about the plot is that it exists, characters are uninteresting, encounters are even less interesting than the plot and everything looks ugly as shit, hell, even the logo is ugly.

The only redeeming quality of NWN2 OC is that it's D&D 3.5. That's it.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I want to replay MoTB but I always feel like I need to run through NWN2 OC first and that always stops me in my tracks. Maybe someday.

waken

Educated
OC: Bland, but some cool sections (Trial, just a shame about how it wraps up)
MotB: Great, I think we all agree on that
SoZ: Cool setting, but I hated the tiny maps and random encounters with the infernally long loading times. I also recall the entire campaign up to the end boss was piss easy. Actually had to backtrack to grind out a few more levels to finish it.
Community mods: Awful compared to NWN1, can't think of a single one I'd go back and replay.

InternalRevenue

Educated
I actually dug out my old disks to try and replay this game a few months ago (had fond memories of MOTB and the second half of the OC) but good lord that camera was even worse than I remembered. And unfortunately, after a few hundred hours with PF:KM many of the 3.5 classes seem dull and incomplete. It'd be great to see a conversion of this and IWD2 to the Wrath of the Rightous engine in the future, one can dream.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Not only the camera, but just about everything in this game screams amateur hour. It's like Obsidian didn't have enough money and just hired interns to make the game. The cinematography in the cutscenes are awkward. The voice acting is laughably bad. The NPCs are uninteresting. The animations are stiff and robotic, the levels are tiny, the villains are something out of an 80's cartoon. Instead of painted portraits, we get 3d renders of their horrible character models. I honestly don't know why people like this game. The only redeeming quality is that it implements 3.5 reasonably well.

Gargaune

Magister
I want to replay MoTB but I always feel like I need to run through NWN2 OC first and that always stops me in my tracks. Maybe someday.
You really don't, just go straight to MotB, there's only a couple of scenes where the OC rears its ugly head into it so you can just grit your teeth and ignore them.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You really don't, just go straight to MotB, there's only a couple of scenes where the OC rears its ugly head into it so you can just grit your teeth and ignore them.

Yeah I know but its the same reason I always play BG1 (which I like so not the same situation) before I play BG2. It feels like the correct thing to do.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Icewind Dale is the complete opposite of that: nothing about it is forgettable, every single small detail is incredibly memorable. Everything contributes to building up the general atmosphere that pervades the game from the very first moment in the Winter's Cradle tavern to the very last encounter in the temple.

I actually more or less agree with what you say, except for that. I played Icewind Dale from beginning to end and I barely remember anything about it. I tried to replay it some time ago and I didn't even get past the starting town. It was boring.

I guess it just isn't my kind of game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom