Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights - why are you guys so negative ?

Dhruin

Liturgist
Pretty funny that half these answers are about the graphics.

Sarvis

Erudite
whitemithrandir said:
name one mod worth playing.

Elegia Eternum

Want more?

Twilight
A Song of Ice and Fire
Elegia Eternum 2

Well, those three stand out as some of the best to me anyway...

But I bought the game 2 years ago and still play it regularly because of all the different mods. I can't say that about _any_ other game I've ever purchased.

Sarvis

Erudite
Tiliqua said:
the camera angles,

The ones that you can set to almost any angle you want? THOSE BASTARDS!

I MUCH prefer the fixed camera angle in ToEE, where half the time you can't see what is behind an open door or next to a wall... the ability to rotate the camera anywhere you want is for losers!
(that was sarcasm, just so you know... heh)

the quality of the graphics (I'm amazed that you think they're good),

The graphics aren't that bad. Not great perhaps, but quite good when you consider the reasons behind the tileset choice. I know a lot of people think it's repetative, but seriously... how many of us grew up on games like the old Gold Box ones where all the floors were grey and everything was just a small tile? I always thought RPG gamers were supposed to not care about graphics... heh.

the fact the most people I played with couldn't roleplay.

How is this NWN's fault?

Sarvis

Erudite
Sheriff05 said:
By never picking an audience for the game they tried to white-wash all interested D&D players with a little or this and a little of that, never satisying anyone but the most ignorant of gamers who were the easiest to please. This lowest common demoninator is what became the NWN FANBASE that carried the game thru 2 expansions.

So what this boils down to is sour grapes because Bioware made the game accessable to more than just lonely D&D rules lawyers?

Yeah, I guess any company that tries to increase it's audience is a bad one that should fail.

In summation Bioware sold out D&D fans that wanted what would have been an innovative and ground breaking product, in turn they got a half assed product that really appeased "no one" but those that didn't know any better.

I honestly wouldn't have been at all interested in the game you originally described. I bought the game specifically because of the ability to play fan created modules in single player. If it were multi-player only I wouldn't have had any interest whatsoever. It is not a case of "not knowing any better," as you so blithely claim. It is a case of people having different interests from you and Bioware being a smart enough corporation to try release a game that more than a small portion of the gaming community would enjoy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why is Sherriff lying? Others who oppose NWN may have false opinions (imo); but at least they don't (usually) lie. Sad, really. :cry:

Jed

Cipher
Sarvis said:
What a thoughtful, well written retort! You should become a speechwriter for Pres. Bush!
Oh, come off it. Maybe it's a new and interesting phenomenon for you, but we've (most Codex regulars) been calling it like we see it on this medicore game for 2 years. It's a dead horse to us. Forgive us for not revisiting every bullet-point we've already made in fifty other post on this forum. Alternatively, just fuck off. Or both. You pick.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dhruin said:
Pretty funny that half these answers are about the graphics.

I think I said what needed to be said in my long ass review of the game. Of course, if you want to complain about the graphics in NWN, you could always point out that it's 3D and tiled yet:

• Doesn't including climbing or swimming because cliffs and streams are there to just funnel you in the direction you're supposed to go.
  • Doesn't have destructible environment, which tiling would be make easier to do. Then again, funnel mapping design.

That said, I think the combat in the game was pretty stale. I have less than fond memories of my barbarian fighting this set of animated armor for five minutes time where it couldn't hit me and I couldn't hit it most of the time. Of course, the whole game is little more than combat, even the areas that should have been about combat. The only thing in the game that didn't have a lot of combat about it was the trial in Act 3.

Spazmo

Erudite
That was the one and only non-combat quest in the whole game. Even that other quest with the spooky haunted castle and the two brothers had you fighting dozens of inexplicable slaads to get around.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I agree with most of your review, Saint.

That said, I've had my money's worth with some mods I enjoyed (I do think there are some good ones) and I played online with the same group for a year or so and had some great roleplay experiences.

Anyway, I just got a laugh noticing that graphics suddenly seemed more important than usual (no particular post, just the general direction of the thread).

Sarvis

Erudite
xJEDx said:
Sarvis said:
What a thoughtful, well written retort! You should become a speechwriter for Pres. Bush!
Oh, come off it. Maybe it's a new and interesting phenomenon for you, but we've (most Codex regulars) been calling it like we see it on this medicore game for 2 years. It's a dead horse to us. Forgive us for not revisiting every bullet-point we've already made in fifty other post on this forum. Alternatively, just fuck off. Or both. You pick.

If you are so sick of the topic, why post anything at all? Wouldn't that be a much better choice than making some juvenile taunt at the general population of a game's fans?

Tell you what, I'll just respond in kind:

Why does everyone on this forum hate NWN so much?

Because they are mostly retards!

There... now I fit right in. WHEEEE!

Sarvis

Erudite
baelstren said:
Sarvis said:
I bought the game specifically because of the ability to play fan created modules in single player.

Your Darwin Award is on its way.

Would you care to explain how buying NWN so that I could play fan created modules has led to my own death?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"That was the one and only non-combat quest in the whole game."

*sigh* Why you are lying? There is more than 1 non combat oriented quest in the first few areas of the game yet you garble this poo like it's fact? R00fles!

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Sarvis said:
So what this boils down to is sour grapes because Bioware made the game accessable to more than just lonely D&D rules lawyers?

Yeah, I guess any company that tries to increase it's audience is a bad one that should fail.

Way to miss the point you fucking loser, If you don't see the room for complaint in pissing off a large section of your original dedicated and supportive fan base, oh well
Yes, of course they (bioware) are free to attract new fans, but that doesn't erase plenty of people who are pissed off about the way game developed, hence my reply to the question at the head of the thread, so eat shit, fucking noob bio-whore.

I honestly wouldn't have been at all interested in the game you originally described. I bought the game specifically because of the ability to play fan created modules in single player. If it were multi-player only I wouldn't have had any interest whatsoever. It is not a case of "not knowing any better," as you so blithely claim. It is a case of people having different interests from you and Bioware being a smart enough corporation to try release a game that more than a small portion of the gaming community would enjoy.

Of course you wouldn't you're exactly the type intellectual gaming roadkill I describe,
suprised?

Volourn said:
Why is Sherriff lying? Others who oppose NWN may have false opinions (imo); but at least they don't (usually) lie. Sad, really.

That's my opinion of what I saw and experienced, if you have a FACTUAL discrepancy
that's not just your personal opinion please elborate, as it be a fucking miracle

Jed

Cipher
Sarvis said:
If you are so sick of the topic, why post anything at all? Wouldn't that be a much better choice than making some juvenile taunt at the general population of a game's fans?
The general population of the game's fans doesn't read this forum.
Why does everyone on this forum hate NWN so much?
When the vast majority of gaming sites lick the sweat off the balls of this shitty game, why do you begrudge there being one site that disagrees with the sheep?

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
DO IT. (Because I was damned curious about that myself.)

And, I think that the whole "multiplayer capabilities and single-player modules" schtick could have worked, were it not for the other flaws that have been beaten to death in this thread. The combat sucks like a hoover, the camera work is shit, and the graphics were dated when the game was released. And since there's so little to work with, it's beneath anyone with talent to bother to spend a good amount of time trying to make a great module.

But, this game sold umpteen million copies because of suckers like me that didn't know what trash the Aurora engine is. I knew that if they got the engine right, the game could be great. Pity it didn't turn out that way.

*Has never played any of the official campaigns*

*Never intended to*

A tad off-topic... but did this stinker of a game sour a lot of people on Bio permanently? Sure seems that way. I think their IE work was great, and while KOTOR wasn't at that level, I still enjoyed it. Although they cooked up a turkey in NWN, I'm not going to give up on their ability to make a game that I like. *Is waiting to see how dragon age is*

Anonymous

The main thing I have against NWN is that it failed to deliver what it said it would, I remember buying it right off, hearing that it'd be 3.0 D&D rules, able to play online and have cool adventures just like table top and then of course, a good single player campaign for when you're not doing that.

Surprise, surprise, it did none of that. Game got taken to the trash, and I havent bought a BioWare game since, since that's all they can seem to produce: trash with a bunch of hype and false promises, and it wasnt even fun and it didnt even have any other saving graces except 'Hay man, you can download shitty maps using the same flat and bland design the game is limited to, except designed by morons! aces!'

Then you roll on in the usual lists of shitty design and woo-woo, you've got a huge turd.

It'd be nice if BioWare made 1 game, just once, that didnt try to cater to every single type of popular feature on the market, maybe avoiding making some bland hyped up Frakenstein failure of a game for just once.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Game got taken to the trash, and I havent bought a BioWare game since, since that's all they can seem to produce: trash with a bunch of hype and false promises...

What else has Bio made that fits that description? I don't see it.

Jedi359

Liturgist
I remember when they said that the single player campaign would come in the form ofmore than a dozen modules. The modules could be completed in any order, each adding to the story, and would represent 1-3 hours of playing time. This could allow players to play them online without a hassle. I thought that was a damn cool idea.

I despise the choice to only allow you one character at atime. DnD is made to be played as a party.

Anonymous

Monkeyfinger said:
Game got taken to the trash, and I havent bought a BioWare game since, since that's all they can seem to produce: trash with a bunch of hype and false promises...

What else has Bio made that fits that description? I don't see it.

What hasnt?

And I think a good example of this is how Dragon Age is going along, 'original races' my ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom