Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New free form RPG: Legend

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Legend

Meet <a href=http://www.legendrpg.com/index.html>Legend: Forge Your Destiny</a>. According to the website, it's the next evolution in free roam cause-and-affect based RPGs. I was told that the game is being developed by former Oblivion modders, but the concept is promising, so take a look:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Putting the Depth back into RPGs. Achieved via: a) Comprehensive history, races & politics b) Immersive storytelling, emotion & action c) Diverse environments, gameplay & characters d) Introduction of Maelor; The Law of Attraction with Cause & Effect!
<br>

<br>
Key Feature - 'Maelor' ::
<br>
<br>
Every character has a Maelor Alignment, the 'Law of Attraction' determines opportunities - friendly or hostile interactions, quest versions, conversations & conflict. The Players actions alter this alignment, in-turn affecting their experience via 'Cause & Effect'.
<br>

<br>
:: Feature List
<br>
<br>
* Huge Regional Game World of Taos; 32 square kilometres of numerous terrain & environment types
<br>
* Endless replayability owing to unique Maelor System based on the Law of Attraction with Cause & Effect
<br>
* Episodic Released Regions provide the Player increasing motivation, choices and replayability
<br>
* Rich Character Development; Be Born into Taos with Education, Training, Career & Crafting at your disposal
<br>
* Deep non-linear plotlines with numerous sub-plots powered by The Law of Attraction
<br>
* Realistic MaelorAI Life Simulation of Game Characters
<br>
* 'First of its Kind' Dynamic Music System follows the Player through environments, atmosphere & action triggers
<br>
* Unique and powerful Barter Trade system with regional pricing in a dynamic live economy
<br>
* Mind blowing atmosphere, graphics and weather effects powered by Trinigy 'Vision'
<br>
* Switchable 1st/3rd Person Dynamic Camera System
<br>
* Intense Tactical Combat using a 'Unique' Hybrid Real-Time/Timer-Based Conflict System
<br>
* Diverse customisable weaponry, conflict options and tactics; Fight, Negotiate or Trade your way out or into danger
<br>
* Control a variety of transport & mounts; Haul large caravans of trade items, or create armored mounts for defense
<br>
* Build relationships with game characters; Establish career, wealth, power and fame</blockquote>Discuss.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Lingwe

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Don't we already have an upcoming RPG called Legend?

Name confusion! Sue 'em!

Lucius

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
* 'First of its Kind' Dynamic Music System follows the Player through environments, atmosphere & action triggers
Didn't Monkey Island have that?

Morbus

Scholar
Looks like another meh game. And since the devs are newbs, it'll probably suck. Unbalanced and such... Must wait and see.

MisterStone

Arcane
Why would someone want to set a RPG in Taos, New Mexico? There's nothing there but an Indian reservation and a bunch of yuppie tourist crud.

sabishii

Arbiter
* Endless replayability owing to unique Maelor System based on the Law of Attraction with Cause & Effect
lol wut?

* Deep non-linear plotlines with numerous sub-plots powered by The Law of Attraction
lol wut?

* Mind blowing atmosphere, graphics and weather effects powered by Trinigy 'Vision'
I bet.

* Switchable 1st/3rd Person Dynamic Camera System
How does this make it into the features list?

* Intense Tactical Combat using a 'Unique' Hybrid Real-Time/Timer-Based Conflict System
:roll:

* Diverse customisable weaponry, conflict options and tactics; Fight, Negotiate or Trade your way out or into danger
Finally something good.

My opinion is hinging upon what the FUCK "Maelor" and the "Law of Attraction" is. I'm assuming it has nothing to do with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Attraction

It states people experience the corresponding manifestations of their predominant thoughts, feelings, words, and actions and that people therefore have direct control over reality and their lives through thought alone.

Helton

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Key Feature - 'Maelor' ::

Every character has a Maelor Alignment, the 'Law of Attraction' determines opportunities - friendly or hostile interactions, quest versions, conversations & conflict. The Players actions alter this alignment, in-turn affecting their experience via 'Cause & Effect'.

Come again?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To be fair, the modders have done tons more for the recent Elder Scrolls games than Bethesda has.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
To be fair, the modders have done tons more for the recent Elder Scrolls games than Bethesda has.

That's hardly a challenge.

MetalCraze

Arcane

Yeah I installed like 2 GBs of these mods to look if Tamriel gets any better with them

but nooo - it remains the same dull empty place.

You see - bugs can be fixed. features can be added.
But if the core design is shit - nothing will save such game.
Not even those japanese mods

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
So, basically, if you're born into this world into a hopeless situation you get to go through life as a drug addict and/or prostitute? After all- you're only attracting that due to it being all you know. Sweet! I wanna just make several characters in a row who are born into the ghetto of Taos and get shot by their cousins over fiddy dollas (or rupies, I understand it's a foreign place.) What?

On a side note, I'm going to make a character named "Pippy Long-Transient" in honor of the hobo kids (TM) that I saw up in Taos, New Mexico.

She'll be cute, but dirty. With only the dreads a life of carefree what-the-shit could make.

Sugar high?

EDIT: Hey, three year anniversary yesterday. Don't I even get a present you sonovvabitch? WHERE HAS THE SPARK GONE, I CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT YOU ANYMORE.

Avu

Liturgist
So if your good you get to fight undead and if you are evil you get to fight paladins and shit? also probably randomly teleported in by the game? With a real time cooldown combat a la WoW? And I would want to play this why? Oh right episodic content would anyone care to wager a guess if that will cost extra?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Brother None said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:

That's hardly a challenge.

True.

sabishii said:
NWN modders > ESF modders.

Maybe. I think it has more to do with what Skyway said. The core game of Oblivion is shit. You can decorate it all you want, but it will just be decorated shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come on guys. Give em a chance!

Their descriptions could be better, yes, but we have seen nothing so far o.O
Besides from some concept arts, etc.

If you treat all dev-newbs like that, don't expect to see many good games in future times...

MetalCraze

Arcane

That reminds me of fanboys protecting fallout 3

If you treat all dev-newbs like that, don't expect to see many good games in future times...

well if pro-devs with million $$$ budget give us shit
why not?
and btw their game descriptions looks like some hype-shit

while AoD's one pretty normal.

Texas Red

Whiner
thesheeep said:
Come on guys. Give em a chance!

Besides from some concept arts, etc.

I think its their excessive PR wording that is the reason. For indie noobs they have a lot of confidence.

SimpleComplexity said:
I hope those guys already found out, what Oblivion lacked, more bloom please.

Oblivion is a perfect game. Read the reviews.

skyway said:

Yeah I installed like 2 GBs of these mods to look if Tamriel gets any better with them

but nooo - it remains the same dull empty place.

You see - bugs can be fixed. features can be added.
But if the core design is shit - nothing will save such game.
Not even those japanese mods

Bethesda failes at making fun games. Daggerfall was too generic and randomly generated, Morrowind suffered from the same and other issues Im sure youre aware of, and Oblivion's scaling, utterly simple character creation/development and blatant streamlining in everything prevents one from enjoying whatever good may be in them.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, they are definately not sane!

This is a perfect premise for game-devs.
NOW I'm really optimistic :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom