Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline New King's Quest game - MASSIVE DECLINE Everything is shit

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Jeez, the game obviously isn't exactly incline, but "massive decline"? Talk about edgy tryhard Codex.

Most of the characters are too silly not to cringe, of course, but it's not like King's Quest had been a complete stranger to such before this game. And the new kids at least are very likeable, even if naturally fairly flat so far, as is Old Graham, and Young Graham isn't too annoying a kid, either.

Almost every puzzle has multiple solutions, often more than two. On top of that, there are several optional ones, and there's a little bit of C&C (which I don't expect to do much but still more than in the old games, where almost all consequences of note, other than the occasional (read: extremely rare) imperfect/bad ending, were oodles of unknowably unwinnable--or rather, unfinishable--states).

And there are lots of funny classic Sierra deaths, but instead of being utterly unfair surprises, they have fairly fair reset points. (Autosave itself is decline incarnate, of course, but sadly enough, I've already gotten used to such in mainstream games, so I can't raise the energy to be properly pissed off about it anymore.) And frankly, achievements are IMNSHO at least better a system of tracking play actions than adventure points.

As for the action sequences: Several adventure games of the 80's and 90's (some good ones, too) had such as well, and (to my utter surprise; after the first trailer I expected the game to be a glorified Dragon's Lair) the ones in the first chapter of this game are far better executed and less obtrusive than any of those. And have people completely forgotten about almost every staircase and mountain path in a KQ game ever? Or pixel-hunting (which I otherwise never minded) on a timer? I'd take hours of bow-shooting in this game over any of that.

Not to mention that one's got to consider the major present day competition: Absolutely every aspect of gameplay King's Quest (2015) offers is several orders of magnitude better than the tedious stream of samey QTE's and inconsequential dialogue choices in Telltale's recent "games".

Gamepad(-style) controls in adventure games are decline as well, of course, and a lack of multiple ways of interacting with things even more so, but at least the controls work much better than in vanilla Grim Fandango. ("Tank controls" are one of the reasons (next to manual saving) the original Tomb Raider pentalogy is better than the first reboot (since camera movements can't fuck you up) with its depressingly futile overarching trilogy plot, never mind the popamole second one, but for adventure games they're about the worst you can do.)

But most importantly, it actually has item-based puzzles! In fact (unlike the also likeable Life Is Strange) it consists primarily of such! In a post-TWD:S2 world, I would've never expected that! And their average level of difficulty seems fine to me as well.

Plus a world of reasonable size you can actually walk around in mostly at will instead of the linear progressions from one barely (if at all) interactive scene to another. And in part due to this a surprisingly healthy length for an episodic game which, however, does not feel artificially bloated by backtracking (at least if you have any sense of appreciation for the classics at all; and if you manage to get lost in that single square of 3-5 similar forest screens, you fail at gaming so hard, you should just stop). And the world of this first episode (and presumably also those of the next four) surely feels more open than the chapters of King's Quest VII at least. (Didn't mind that structure in Torin's Passage, though, as the chapters actually fit the story--and even the setting--in that one.)

TL;DR
There's many an indie adventure game (and some by boutique publishers) in the last decade or so I like better, but King's Quest (2015) is the closest thing to a classic adventure game we've gotten from a AAA publisher/aiming for the mainstream since... what? Monkey Island 4? (Ugh.)

And concerning the original series:
KQ1-2 are utterly terrible games merely of ludohistorical importance. Only KQ3-6 are great. Although KQ7, decline as it may have been, isn't wholly without merit. Also, the early AGI versions of KQ1-2 are fucking fugly as fuck. The late AGI versions of KQ3-4 are at least noticeably more refined, while the SCI EGA versions of KQ1+4 definitely do look nice, but comparing them to the SCI VGA versions of KQ5-6 is nevertheless like night and day; makes me weep that KQ4 AFAIK has yet to get a fan remake (most preferably--and sadly most improbably--by AGDI, but I'd take pretty much every--completed--valiant effort). (I'd consider KQ7 pretty in its own way if it weren't for those damned four-fingered hands; almost as annoying as its gameplay.) Anyway, KQ6 is still best!

As for parsers: Fuck that shit. In theory, potentially unlimited options are cool, of course, but in practice it's just tedious to guess what special words the designers might have deemed appropriate in whatever situation. And most of the time they offer no more than your average amount of SCUMM verbs or SCI icons, anyway, while being far less convenient to use. They're still games, not perfect simulations of interactions with worlds; I like my options consistent and concise.
That said, there is nothing I hate more about modern adventure games than the popamole restriction to (at most) "inspect" and "interact" (plus the occasional item use), which all but extinguishes all sense of freedom/curiosity/discovery/immersion. I am still able to enjoy such games, of course, but unless the game is otherwise truly spectacular, that alone is ample reason to lose a whole star in any rating of mine. (And yes, I do realise that even the golden age of adventure games already had several such specimens--and some fantastic ones at that--, but it isn't bad design (to me) because it's recent; always hated it, always will.)
In a nutshell: Classic Lucas/Sierra multi-verb point'n'click is the perfect middle ground between grognard parsers and popamole single-click designs.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do think the fact that the dying hubbub surrounding this is interesting; I don't know how console sales did, but it's only moved 28,000+ units on Steam, according to Steam Spy. Which would be a pretty great number for a smaller studio, with a smaller budget, but I wonder how it bodes for this project in the long term with Activison.

http://steamspy.com/app/345390

It's only been several weeks since release, and I haven't been hearing much chatter about the game in the usual adventure gaming circles.

Bt

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
For what it's worth, I think Steamspy data is not particularly good in "realtime" and thus really only works once several months have passed and you're getting a longterm average. I tend to prefer Steamcharts for trying to get a sense of realtime activity.

Primordia sold around 11,000 copies in the same time frame (I think -- it's hard for me to reconstruct the old data, but that appears to be about the first six weeks' worth of sales), and its first month Steamcharts data shows 178 max players, 45 average players. King's Quest, by contrast, has 721 max players, 170 average for its first month. I've found Steamcharts tends to track purchases quite well for adventure games (because not that many people replay), so that would put KQ selling about four times the copies that Primordia did, or around 44,000; it also puts it selling about a quarter what The Walking Dead did on release. The real question to me is how long KQ's tail will be -- if the next episodes keep drawing in new players, etc., etc. If it performs comparably to the Telltale games in that regard, then I think it'll do fine.

Still, I can't help but think that it's never going to perform comparably to Telltale, whose products take an IP with mass appeal and add interaction to it; by contrast, this takes a product with niche appeal and subtracts interaction. (I've now watched enough LP to be quite confident in my initial impression that it is, at a minimum, less interactive than the core KQs of III to VI.) "Kind of play the stories you presently enjoy so much" is more intriguing than "kind of play the games that you once enjoyed so much."

I do think the fact that the dying hubbub surrounding this is interesting; I don't know how console sales did, but it's only moved 28,000+ units on Steam, according to Steam Spy. Which would be a pretty great number for a smaller studio, with a smaller budget, but I wonder how it bodes for this project in the long term with Activison.

http://steamspy.com/app/345390

It's only been several weeks since release, and I haven't been hearing much chatter about the game in the usual adventure gaming circles.

Bt

It is pretty weird. Almost the entire adventure game community was, either positively or negatively, talking about the game. And now the second episode's been announced and it's almost crickets. The only place I'm seeing mega hype still is on GameGrump's videos of the game, which keep getting an average of 200-300k views.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not that odd. Probably just because the entire adventure game community realized after it was released that it wasn't actually exceptional enough (good or bad) to be worth talking about.

Just like every other hipster style over substance tripe. Except in this case, the style was also awful.

Forgotten as soon as it came out, as the masses they've worked so hard to please have all but forgotten what day it is already.

Skunkpew

Augur
It is pretty weird. Almost the entire adventure game community was, either positively or negatively, talking about the game. And now the second episode's been announced and it's almost crickets. The only place I'm seeing mega hype still is on GameGrump's videos of the game, which keep getting an average of 200-300k views.

They must've ran out of money to pay off some of those viral marketers to go into the forums and drum up talk for the game. Good or bad doesn't matter as long as people are talking. Youtube views however are easy enough to manage and cheap enough to buy. You can get 100,000 for $450 or so. (Oh, but all those views on Taylor Swift's new music video are clearly real.)

They must've ran out of money to pay off some of those viral marketers to go into the forums and drum up talk for the game. Good or bad doesn't matter as long as people are talking. Youtube views however are easy enough to manage and cheap enough to buy. You can get 100,000 for $450 or so. (Oh, but all those views on Taylor Swift's new music video are clearly real.)

I think the views on GameGrumps' videos are real, because the amount of comments and likes on their videos (not just for the new KQ game, but all of their playthrough series in general) corresponds with the number of views. I've read ways of determining paid-for views from genuine views. GameGrumps are legit. What's not legit is where "Sierra" claims that their trailer for the new KQ has had over 3 million views. Yet it only has a few thousand likes and dislikes and they only have a few hundred subscribers. Yeah right.

Archibald

Arcane
Interesting, anyone has some good read on the matter of youtube views/likes/subscribers?

it really does seem like the new KQ was incredibly forgettable - and quickly forgotten. Not terrible, not horrible, not even bad per se...Just forgettable. No one at all really cares about Chapter 2's release. Doing a re-watch there's nothing that special about the game, nothing that will invoke nostalgia in 20 years, no memorable puzzles or moments (Yet + Pie for example), it's just a bunch of overly-used Pixar archetypes, stupid kiddie humor, and cliches. Every single character in the game has no real substance and basically just fulfills standard, generic Pixar-y, Disney-esque Fantasy tropes, IE Amaya is the strong, outspoken, tough, tomboy woman; Pillare is the disgruntled, touch as nails French woman; Olfie is the dummy; the Alchemist and his wife are the creepy old couple...The rest of the characters outside of Whisper are utterly one-note and forgettable....

And Manny is basically Wallace Shawn in every movie ever. He makes for a very weak villain when you compare him to Manannan, Lolotte, Mordack or Abdul.

Maybe it was because of the horrible voice acting, but even though characters like Jollo, Cedric or Abdul Alhazed in the original games aren't particularly "deep", they're very memorable.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
it really does seem like the new KQ was incredibly forgettable - and quickly forgotten. Not terrible, not horrible, not even bad per se...Just forgettable.
So, I'm curious: previously, you were fairly aggressively promoting the game in the face of criticism, now you've switch the criticizing the game. Is it because: (1) the game turned out to be considerably different from the gameplay videos and descriptions on which you'd based your optimism; (2) the game was not so different, but it turned out that what you thought would be a fun modernization of old school adventure games actually turned out not to be fun; (3) your promotion was primarily a means to an end (the Space Quest sequel), and once you realized that KQ was not going to be highly successful, there was no reason to promote it further; or (4) something else?

So, I'm curious: previously, you were fairly aggressively promoting the game in the face of criticism, now you've switch the criticizing the game. Is it because: (1) the game turned out to be considerably different from the gameplay videos and descriptions on which you'd based your optimism; (2) the game was not so different, but it turned out that what you thought would be a fun modernization of old school adventure games actually turned out not to be fun; (3) your promotion was primarily a means to an end (the Space Quest sequel), and once you realized that KQ was not going to be highly successful, there was no reason to promote it further; or (4) something else?

Basically what happened was after the euphoria of "OMG A NEW KING'S QUEST GAME IS OUT!" wore off, and I felt sort of...done..with KQ and nostalgia in general, I looked at the game through much more sober eyes. A post on another board I go on also opened my eyes to soe of the game's flaws, as well. Honestly, it's not the gameplay style that bothers me at all; I've said from the beginning I'm cool with adventure games encompassing gameplay beyond point & click, it's the fact that they just simply got the tone, feel and spirit of the original games so wrong that it's kind of turned me off to the game. Every KQ game had its silly moments, but they also had a good balance of seriousness as well, I can't honestly imagine Graham (as portrayed by Josh Mandel in the original games) being as zany and wired as he is in the new game even when the character was a youth; there's a distinct lack of the one thing that really made KQ unique - fairy tale, folk lore and mythology elements. KQ was special because it was this charming, endearing kitchen sink of fairy tales. This game on the other hand, there are no fairy tale characters or creatures, there are no puzzles relating or lifted from fairy stories - and for me that was the heart of King's Quest. TOG it seems set out to make more of a Pixar movie in game form, rather than a King's Quest game.

I did indeed want a new Space Quest, and actually I think TOG's humor and tone that they used in the new KQ would've much better suited an SQ sequel. Graham reminds me a lot more of Roger Wilco than he does of Graham.

There's also the fact that the new game is pretty immoral and encourages cheating as a means to an end and that there's really no tense moments and nothing at stake. You can't lose, because the plot says Graham has to win. If Whisper wins the race fair and square, Manny cites an addendum saying you're allowed an extra lap. Over and over again. If Graham loses to Manny fair and square, the guards come and wreck the game board before Manny's victory can be tallied, resulting in you getting an infinite number of tries. If Acorn knocks you off the island, the trolls save you. Failure, thus, is never punished, and it makes every victory feel immensely hollow.

There's no dark moments on par with the Catacombs from KQ6 or Mordack's Island; I even find the score lacking. The soundtracks to Sierra games were as much a part of the experience as anything else - perhaps even more so. Sierra game music gave incredible life to any given scene and helped craft a distinctive and memorable mood and feel to each scene. The score for this game is just bland Pixar-esque backing music.

And a pet peeve, trivial, is the lack of the ability to save. I liked being able to have 10 save slots going, going back at any point to revisit a moment I really liked. You can't do that with the stupid-ass autosave. You can only go back to that particular checkpoint you're saved at, which really sucks.

Redlands

Arcane
Basically what happened was after the euphoria of "OMG A NEW KING'S QUEST GAME IS OUT!" wore off, and I felt sort of...done..with KQ and nostalgia in general, I looked at the game through much more sober eyes. A post on another board I go on also opened my eyes to soe of the game's flaws, as well. Honestly, it's not the gameplay style that bothers me at all; I've said from the beginning I'm cool with adventure games encompassing gameplay beyond point & click, it's the fact that they just simply got the tone, feel and spirit of the original games so wrong that it's kind of turned me off to the game. Every KQ game had its silly moments, but they also had a good balance of seriousness as well, I can't honestly imagine Graham (as portrayed by Josh Mandel in the original games) being as zany and wired as he is in the new game even when the character was a youth; there's a distinct lack of the one thing that really made KQ unique - fairy tale, folk lore and mythology elements. KQ was special because it was this charming, endearing kitchen sink of fairy tales. This game on the other hand, there are no fairy tale characters or creatures, there are no puzzles relating or lifted from fairy stories - and for me that was the heart of King's Quest. TOG it seems set out to make more of a Pixar movie in game form, rather than a King's Quest game.

I did indeed want a new Space Quest, and actually I think TOG's humor and tone that they used in the new KQ would've much better suited an SQ sequel. Graham reminds me a lot more of Roger Wilco than he does of Graham.

There's also the fact that the new game is pretty immoral and encourages cheating as a means to an end and that there's really no tense moments and nothing at stake. You can't lose, because the plot says Graham has to win. If Whisper wins the race fair and square, Manny cites an addendum saying you're allowed an extra lap. Over and over again. If Graham loses to Manny fair and square, the guards come and wreck the game board before Manny's victory can be tallied, resulting in you getting an infinite number of tries. If Acorn knocks you off the island, the trolls save you. Failure, thus, is never punished, and it makes every victory feel immensely hollow.

There's no dark moments on par with the Catacombs from KQ6 or Mordack's Island; I even find the score lacking. The soundtracks to Sierra games were as much a part of the experience as anything else - perhaps even more so. Sierra game music gave incredible life to any given scene and helped craft a distinctive and memorable mood and feel to each scene. The score for this game is just bland Pixar-esque backing music.

And a pet peeve, trivial, is the lack of the ability to save. I liked being able to have 10 save slots going, going back at any point to revisit a moment I really liked. You can't do that with the stupid-ass autosave. You can only go back to that particular checkpoint you're saved at, which really sucks.

emperor-palpatine.jpg

Nah, right on Korgoth of Barbaria. Very commendable of you to come back on here when you didn't have to, and admit you had hype-glasses. It's something that happens to the best of us, and the edgy nature of the Codex means very few people are man enough to own up to it. I also very much agree with your assessment on what makes KQ KQ atmospherically and narratively (I do however, feel very strongly that any KQ game should be a P n' C).

Also, I didn't realize this NuKQ didn't have any fail states. A KQ without aggravatingly bad puns upon death? :badnews:

Archibald

Arcane

I kinda understand this in games where save-reload trick is "unintended" (like in RPGs where you get randomized loot on each attempt to open a chest), but its getting ridiculous how this system is getting into almost every type of game these days.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Also, I didn't realize this NuKQ didn't have any fail states. A KQ without aggravatingly bad puns upon death? :badnews:
Yes, the atmosphere isn't quite right, but it does have punny deaths. They're just for the most part much harder to achieve (and thus in part achievements) than the infamously unfair deaths of most classic Sierra games, and due to the save system, you're reset to the beginning of the scene after a short excours to the present day. (And there's also other deliberately bad puns throughout.)

However, yes, in the rigged trials, wherein failure wouldn't result in death but in an unwinnable state, the game repeats silly excuses for why your rivals' wins don't count instead of showing you the temporary game-over screen deaths do. I don't like it, but it isn't exactly the end of the world.

Jackalope

Arcane
The sad part is that when the game fails the corporate suits are going to blame it on the players. "People just don't like old-school adventure games" and all that crap. Ignoring the fact that this is anything but an old-school adventure game.

Last edited:
The sad part is that when the game fails the corporate suits are going to blame it on the players. "People just don't like old-school adventure games" and all that crap. Ignoring the fact that this is anything but an old-school adventure game.

It's already failed miserably. Steamspy shows it's only been purchased by 22k people, an abysmally low number. And all interest in the game has basically fizzled out.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the inevitable announcement that chapter 2 has been indefinitely postponed.

At this point my rage is all spent; I don't know what to do but shrug my shoulders and say "duhhhhhhhh".

Hilariously, if those Steamspy figures are to be believed, then there's a chance that Activision might interpret the data as a plea from fans to return to the classic, oldskul gameplay of Mask of Eternity.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the inevitable announcement that chapter 2 has been indefinitely postponed.

At this point my rage is all spent; I don't know what to do but shrug my shoulders and say "duhhhhhhhh".

Hilariously, if those Steamspy figures are to be believed, then there's a chance that Activision might interpret the data as a plea from fans to return to the classic, oldskul gameplay of Mask of Eternity.

Do you really think we could see Ch. 2 be postponed indefinitely? Outside of a tiny teaser trailer there's been radio silence on the game despite it supposedly coming out this autumn. Matt Korba (designer of TOG's KQ) doesn't even talk with Sierra fans on Sierra Gamers' fb page anymore and there's been no blog posts or anything by TOG or anything about the game since July.

Looking back at how I defended this shitty, generic, shallow game, I'm ashamed. This game honestly kind of killed my interest in both King's Quest in general and Sierra games as well. At least Mask of Eternity had heart. You can say it wasn't a real KQ, and tonally and gameplay wise, it was a total departure. But you could also tell the game was made with real heart, Roberta was trying to do something new, bold, big. Mask of Eternity also at least kept to tying puzzles and the storyline to myths, folklore and legends - it had that unique fantasy kitchen sink thing that really defined King's Quest more than anything else. This game tries so hard to be this charming, Disney/Pixar like experience that it just falls flat. The characters are utterly shallow, overused cliches and really stock fantasy tropes. You have your lanky, underdog, sort of effeminate modern hero. Butch, tough inspiring female. A black character who is 'pissed off'...Ugh. Just such a shitty, generic game. If it didn't have the King's Quest label and PR attached it wouldn't have even sold 20k copies.

King's Quest was never Sierra's best series, but at least some of the games featured really memorable moments and memorable characters. There is nothing at all memorable or unique to this game. If you've seen a Pixar movie or an 80s fantasy film you've seen this game; hell, it even borrows a good chunk of A Princess Bride.

Mask of Eternity gave us Spriggans (beasts from Irish mythology), Goblins (which were actually monsterous) and Orcs. NuKQ gives us fucking "Wedzel Wolves" (seriously, what the fuck is that?!) and "Snarling Snarlaxes" (Sounds like something from a Nickolodeon dumpster).

Seriously, I apologize for shilling for this game. I wish it wasn't made. I wish Activison would leave Sierra's corpse alone and let the brand rest with some dignity.

Archibald

Arcane
Thats a quick transformation into standard Codex's "everything is shit" mindset. You will fit in here nicely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom