Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New KotOR incoming

Zeriel

Arcane
It was always a bad game, with boring combat, camera & controls that run away max speed from any tacticals, largely meaningless exploration in mushy corridors, and a general lack of interesting mechanics around anything. We all played it because (1) Star Wars, (2) Bio was still supposed to be an RPG company, and (3) there wasn't exactly a lot of other stuff, and it wasn't yet quite conclusive to everybody that the turn to cinematic/3D would be completely irredeemable trash.

This post will elicit a lot of butthurt, but it's 100% true.

Will it? I thought the Codex consensus was always that KOTOR was kinda lame. It was only KOTOR 2 that got fellated.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was always a bad game, with boring combat, camera & controls that run away max speed from any tacticals, largely meaningless exploration in mushy corridors, and a general lack of interesting mechanics around anything. We all played it because (1) Star Wars, (2) Bio was still supposed to be an RPG company, and (3) there wasn't exactly a lot of other stuff, and it wasn't yet quite conclusive to everybody that the turn to cinematic/3D would be completely irredeemable trash.

This post will elicit a lot of butthurt, but it's 100% true.

Will it? I thought the Codex consensus was always that KOTOR was kinda lame. It was only KOTOR 2 that got fellated.

Yep, I've never seen anything other than edgy ironic praise for KOTOR on here in all the time I've been around.

It's the second game that many dexers love.

Skyway did have to play Kotor through seven times of course to figure out he didn't like it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

KotOR was an okay side step for BioWare... Sort of. I mean, Star Wars d20 still kind of plays like D&D did at the time. That said, the story was pretty decent even though BioWare can't help themselves from trying to be super epic with the end game and that crazy ship factory. The puzzles were all either very, very old school puzzles like that Tower of Hanoi thing or things that have been in games before. BioWare was very "tell, don't show" with all the diaries laying around in case you missed something or they didn't bother making an event for something. That said, I managed to make it through the game once as a light sider and once as a dark sider.

mondblut

Arcane
A report about the rumored remake of Star Wars: Nights of the Old Republic is making the rounds as it has major implications if true. According to the report, the remake is making a major change to the gameplay of the 2003 game in the name of modernity. The report comes the way of YouTuber, host of the Defining Duke podcast, and insider MrMattyPlays, who claims the remake is getting away from the original's real-time turn-based combat system in favor of making the game more of an action RPG.

Ahahahaha. Eagerly anticipating gay Carth Onasi making constant advances to PC, fat black Bastila and genderqueer Mission constantly berating PC for transphobia.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Completely forgot about it :) It's been years since I last played Kotor.

That's okay, I forgot about the water bucket one until you mentioned it. The Tower of Hanoi thing stood out to me because I programmed a Tower of Hanoi thing in a college class a bit before I played KotOR. The fact that all their puzzles are lifted from somewhere else had been on my mind since I ran across a puzzle from an older game in one of the NWN expansions which was a dead lift of the previous puzzle. It's been too long for me to remember what game and which expansion it was, but it was pretty jarring.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
iu

Far better than the last three.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

ADL

Prophet
KOTOR2 was so good it retroactively ruined KOTOR1 despite being a perfectly acceptable game. Pretty sure that was the sentiment among "RPG enthusiasts" at the time.

Maximilian

KOTOR2 was so good it retroactively ruined KOTOR1 despite being a perfectly acceptable game. Pretty sure that was the sentiment among "RPG enthusiasts" at the time.
It's an undue stretch, for KotOR2 suffers from many of the afflictions typical of the dev community that made it - it's rushed, it's poorly planned, it largely overwritten on top of having even more dialogue scenes that some merciful editor deemed unnecessary (and, due to modders meddling, these unfortunately came back in the 'restoration project'). A rose-tinted glasses view of KotOR2 is almost as optimistic as that of PS:T, another game people (even here, mostly here) get awkwardly lenient about.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Far better than the last three.

It's sad how often that happens these days. The most recent trilogy is so bad, it makes the prequel trilogy not just acceptable, but actually decent. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was such shit, it made Temple of Doom watchable again. It's the Hollywood equivalent of, "It could have been worse."

Maximilian

(and, due to modders meddling, these unfortunately came back in the 'restoration project')

It isn't like you are forced to install the restoration project...
And yet the restoration project is routinely suggested even to fresh players. I've even seen fresh players ruminating about installing the positively dreadful droid planet restoration mod...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Temple of Doom is the most based film in the series. Indy should spend more time killing savages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom