Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Hellraiser

Arcane
The ME3 soundtrack is excellent too.

No, no, just fucking no.

All the new tracks by that Requiem for a Dream guy (IIRC it was his work, and him much hyped before release as a replacement for Jack Wall) are bland half-assed unmemorable movie shit, ridiculous decline over even ME2 (which had a few memorable bangers on par with the best ME1 themes). Seriously the whole thing sounds phoned-in.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
One is a solid game with extremely comfy aesthetics and an all-time-best soundtrack.

Two was a step in the wrong direction across the board. Way shittier "epic orchestral" soundtrack, drabber and less functional armor sets and environments, far less exploration, bloated worldbuilding, a retarded story, le edgy misfit companions, and mechanics that are literally as mechanical as whack-a-mole. ([Recruit --> Loyalty Mission. Repeat.] [Find cover --> poke out to shoot or use ability. Cooldown/reload in cover. Repeat.])

Don't even get me started on the Geth dindu nuffin subplot. Or the fact that the setting's shiny optimistic retro-SF foundation was replaced with generic slop.

Three was like two, but with much better mechanics and a fun multiplayer mode.

The best way to play Mass Effect is to play the first game and disregard the others. You've beaten the reapers; they're stuck in dark space for the next few thousand years. The end.
I was with you until ME2 worldbuilding. Chris L'Etoile mostly wrote the ME2 lore and did a great job. I like Carpyshyn's ME1 optimistic world way more but L'Etoile gave us a realistic and grounded portrayal of the ME universe, showing the sordid underside of the galaxy. The Omega station and Purgatory provide a far more cynical view of the noblebright galaxy from ME1. The ME3 soundtrack is excellent too.
BioWare alsho hit a lightning in a bottle with the ME3 multiplayer.

ME2 was more grounded, showing the underside of the galaxy, because most of it was set in the Terminus Systems, but it didn't portray it as well as it should've. It's far too focused on making things seem *cool* (Aria), murder, sex and wannabe "dark" concepts.

Camel

Scholar
Baldur's Gate to Neverwinter to KoTOR to Jade Empire to Mass Effect to Dragon Age
We have had a hell of a run with Bioware up until 2012. Jade Empire has a great story with a great twist on par with KotOR and it's a pity we'll never see a sequel made by old BioWare. Terrible combat with button-mashing really hurts JE.

Camel

Scholar
ME2 was more grounded, showing the underside of the galaxy, because most of it was set in the Terminus Systems, but it didn't portray it as well as it should've. It's far too focused on making things seem *cool* (Aria), murder, sex and wannabe "dark" concepts.
I don't know. Human experiments, exploitation, the seductive Ardat-Yakshi space vampires, xenophobia, the Illusive man and Martin Sheen carrying his character. BioWare hit the ground running with a darker world with shades of grey characters before the GoT made it mainstream. It's a tragedy BioWare lost L'Etoile and he mildly criticized them after the ME3 release.
After playing Owlcat's Rogue Trader as a "Dogmatic" character it hit me how BioWare failed to deliver a real Renegade playthrough in ME - they should've given us an opportunity to play a xenophobic and racist Shepard, exterminating aliens left and right, conducting an Exterminatus of a Batarian or Geth homeworld while making Whedon-like quips and hugging a hot girl.

Last edited:

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
1711562351540.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know. Human experiments, exploitation, the seductive Ardat-Yakshi space vampires , xenophobia, the Illusive man and Martin Sheen carrying his character. BioWare hit the ground running with a darker world with shades of grey characters before the GoT made it mainstream.
The GoT tv show is not what made dark and edgy stuff mainstream and "cool". It was a thing for years before ME2. It's weirdly selective memory you have going there.

Even if you're only looking at Bioware games, you had "This is the New Shit" well before ME2 was a thing.

Camel

Scholar
No, no, just fucking no.

All the new tracks by that Requiem for a Dream guy (IIRC it was his work, and him much hyped before release as a replacement for Jack Wall) are bland half-assed unmemorable movie shit, ridiculous decline over even ME2 (which had a few memorable bangers on par with the best ME1 themes). Seriously the whole thing sounds phoned-in.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Even if you're only looking at Bioware games, you had "This is the New Shit" well before ME2 was a thing.

There's just 4 months between DA:O and ME2 released though :M

Although IIRC DA:O was aping the dark and edgier stuff from whatever the then more recent fantasy stuff Bioware writers were reading was.

And in ME2's case they claimed IIRC that the first one was inspired more by the 80s SF movies and thus shinier, while ME2 was darker because it was more inspired by 90s works (also why the soundtrack is less synthy) or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Human experiments
That's in ME1. By Cerberus as well, as a secreative blackops group gone rogue which barely anyone knows about vs. The ME2 Cerberus featuring Redbull athletes and planes with the logo stamped all over them. Garrus' loyalty mission also touched on this topic (the underground of the Citadel) in a much more grounded & realistic way

exploitation
Vibrant capitalist Asari world and....what else? The people on Omega? Those exploited by the over the top gang leaders/Aria?

seductive Ardat-Yakshi space vampires
We saw one (and were told there's only 3 in existence, without any evidence or circling back giving teasers there are more). And the one we saw was some alt-too cool for school-cringe tumblerina in a short "loyalty mission".

xenophobia
This is ME1, to an even greater extent because of how the work revolves around humanity's place in the universe, not TIMs rantings.

the Illusive man and Martin Sheen carrying his character
A popular *cool* face to make the player think it's omg awesome. Martin Sheen did do an amazing job acting though.

Overall, all those "dark themes" were actually better presented, more intertwined in the world/story & touched on in a much more grounded manner in ME1. Those that weren't are just random one off *cool factor* to add to random, one off side missions.

HumanMaleFighter

Literate
No, no, just fucking no.

Some videos
Yo those are exactly what's wrong with the ME3 soundtrack!

Compare to these classics:

On the one hand, the generic orchestral/piano slop of ME2 and ME3. Your first one sounds like a good fit for a WWII epic, and your second one could go well with a 19th century period romance piece. It's bland, it's trite, it's shit.

On the other hand, ME1's soundtrack -- so unusual and unique that it doesn't even have a genre. (Seriously, are there even people who make more music like that Noveria track? Most "ambient" stuff like CryoChamber, Cyclic Law, etc., is too sparse -- and most non-ambient electronic music is too beat-focused.)

No, no, just fucking no.

It sounds like movie music put into a video game, and I never vibe with thst. Either way there's no point in this discussion, because the best soundtrack is obviously:

https://youtu.be/NcrDWAuyqtc?si=zcfuwhpqKfDD6zGt

(I love how I can't use any formatting options on mobile, Third world poverty site)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

There's just 4 months between DA:O and ME2 released though :M

Although IIRC DA:O was aping the dark and edgier stuff from whatever then more recent fantasy Bioware writers were reading.

And in ME2's case they claimed IIRC that the first one was inspired more by the 80s SF movies and thus shinier, while ME2 was darker because it was more inspired by 90s works (also why the soundtrack is less synthy) or something along those lines.

Fair enough about the dates of those specific games, but yes, my point was more about the reaction to how lame it was and that it felt tired and try hard by then because it was just trend chasing to try and attract an audience.

You can only chase a trend and have something feel derivative if there's already an existing pattern.

Camel

Scholar
That's in ME1. By Cerberus as well, as a secreative blackops group gone rogue which barely anyone knows about vs. The ME2 Cerberus featuring Redbull athletes and planes with the logo stamped all over them. Garrus' loyalty mission also touched on this topic (the underground of the Citadel) in a much more grounded & realistic way
Jack was experimented upon by a "rogue" Cerberus cell according to TIM.
Vibrant capitalist Asari world and....what else? The people on Omega? Those exploited by the over the top gang leaders/Aria?
Mostly Omega. I'm afraid I'll have to buy the ME3 trilogy to refresh my memory thanks to you and to have an ammunition to argue with you about ME. I hate you.
We saw one (and were told there's only 3 in existence, without any evidence or circling back giving teasers there are more). And the one we saw was some alt-too cool for school-cringe tumblerina in a short "loyalty mission".
Morinth is edgy and she provides an unorthodox game over screen.
This is ME1, to an even greater extent because of how the work revolves around humanity's place in the universe, not TIMs rantings.
I hated human-centric plot of ME2. It's so much better to enjoy Babylon 5-like settings where the Mankind is only middle of the pack like in ME1. ME2-3 made the Mankind special/the most important and it grates on me.
A popular *cool* face to make the player think it's omg awesome. Martin Sheen did do an amazing job acting though.
BioWare chose voice actors wisely. Martin Sheen elevated his character greatly even with dumb remarks written by BioWare writers.
Overall, all those "dark themes" were actually better presented, more intertwined in the world/story & touched on in a much more grounded manner in ME1. Those that weren't are just random one off *cool factor* to add to random, one off side missions.
Really? Where? Don't bother with Noveria since L'Etoile wrote it and it's the best ME1 mission. :smug:

Hellraiser

Arcane
mediocrepoet of course, old Bioware similar to Blizzard was just taking shit they liked and found interesting. But here I think also the long development time on DA:O is why they were late to the party. I mean it was vaporware since I guess NWN was done?

And that trailer with the Marlin Manson song certainly didn't help it in avoiding mockery, in hindsight one does wonder what the fuck were they thinking with that pick because the game wasn't close to being edgy so much that song would fit the tone. Maybe if it was really over the top and something silly on purpose. Ridiculous marketing fuck-up.

It sounds like movie music put into a video game, and I never vibe with thst.

Exactly, the guy got a contract from EA, did his part to get paid with least effort and fucked off. It's clear he didn't really care about the project, didn't care it's a different medium and had no idea what to do with it besides "please the customer". Phoned-in, period.

And it being movie music wouldn't be a problem if it was thematic movie music and not the "set the scene mood and don't get in the way" bullshit that plagues movie soundtracks for the last few decades.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you remember times when developers designed new IP for every game?
For every game? I don't. But I can believe you do, since you have brain damage.
Arcanum. ToEE. VtM:Bloodlines.
Three games three new IP.

I doubt I'd have to mention name of the company.

Silverfish mentioned Bioware's accomplishments already. Bioware kinda shot itself into the feet by doing too many Mass Effect sequels.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Nah, they shot themselves in the foot by not planning out the trilogy better in advance.

It's easy being the Monday morning quarterback, but with the benefit of hindsight, planning a trilogy around the reapers was a mistake from the outset. The far more interesting and conveniently evergreen premise was the Spectres.

HumanMaleFighter

Literate
Your first one sounds like a good fit for a WWII epic
Oh no, the song about the galaxy-spanning war is a good fit for a WWII epic.
and your second one could go well with a 19th century period romance piece.
Oh no, the love song could go well with, you know, romance.

The trouble is that it's so absolutely generic that it seems phoned-in and low-effort. You get the impression that the composer of those pieces didn't even bother to play the previous games in the series. The orchestral/pianoslop soundtrack doesn't fit the game or the setting.

ME1 had a very avant-garde soundtrack. ME2 and ME3 are, in comparison, completely and utterly backwards-looking.

In fact, you could say that ME1's soundtrack was more than a little bit experimental. Tracks like "Noveria" and "Liara's World" don't fit neatly into any clearly delineated genre of music. But you could tell Suno.ai "give me an ultra-hackneyed piano love song" and get half of the ME3 soundtrack. Again, it's really trite, it doesn't fit, and it's trash.

HumanMaleFighter

Literate
ME1 soundtrack is remarkably like
E.R.P. – Event Related Potential
And he did it earlier

It's not that similar. That E.R.P. album is, at most points, beat-focused in a way that's completely typical of EDM.

The ME1 soundtrack, at its best, is something very different: A form of melodic and structured ambient electronic music. Here you go, bro:

Hellraiser

Arcane
The far more interesting and conveniently evergreen premise was the Spectres.

After taking down Saren and Sovereign, saving the Citadel and gaining the everlasting favor of the council (preferably by replacing it entirely) there's really nothing they could do with Spectres without going down further the Reaper rabbit hole that would seem as interesting as a follow-up. What's the best they could do, have the council nag you as you chase some crime lords and terrorists across the terminus systems? It would just be Bring Down the Sky over and over again (IIRC). Best thing you could maybe do with the Spectre concept is have some conflict between two backwaters over some incident and a spectre sent as a neutral party uncover some devious intrigue, but those stakes would still feel like nothing compared to hunting down Saren.

This is actually one of the reasons ME2 seems so weak, and that's despite trying to tie in the overall arc of the trilogy. The missing colonists plot hook is weak, you learn fuck all about the reapers until almost the very end and the end boss' design sours the whole thing. That you spend most of the game on a massive detour related to assembling a team is the other problem, so it all feels like filler when you know the Reapers are out there(tm) and the stakes seem very low until the very fucking end (maybe).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom