Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Obsidian Kickstarter (Update: Not really, dammit Duraframe) (Banned Duraframe - DU)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Goddammit developers, stop namedropping shit unless you're willing to go into details why you're doing it. SKYRIM THIS and SKYRIM THAT blanket statements are so Q2.

“What I’m trying to figure out is, how could we make something that is more like a Skyrim for PC – forget console for now – with the engine we made in Unity for Eternity? Where we are with our conversation, quest, data editors, and all of that. If we were careful about scope and let Chris Avellone go wild with creating a new world, more of an open world, what could we do?”

“How much would it cost? Would it make sense for it to be episodic? Because going out there and saying, ‘We’re gonna make 100 hours of gameplay,’ everyone goes, ‘Oh my god, how could it not cost millions?’ But could we create ten hours and have people pay ten bucks? And generally when we say ten hours, it’s usually 15. But if we go with five episodes, then people get between 50 and 75 hours.”

BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN, Mr. Black Isle?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
An isometric hiking simulator?
Later on he mentions the pitfalls of making a low-budget fpp/tpp game that can meet graphical expectations. They're already making 3D graphics, the difference here is that they just wouldn't be pre-rendering and painting over the backgrounds.

An episodic open world game is a Henkel-level idea. I knew Obsidian was absurd but I didn't expect them to go that far.

Edit: Then again he did say "more of an open world" and "more like a Skyrim"...

Basically Feargus wants to make Dragon Age Inquisition: Kickstarter Edition with five hubs.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What I’m trying to figure out is, how could we make something that is more like a Skyrim for PC – forget console for now – with the engine we made in Unity for Eternity? Where we are with our conversation, quest, data editors, and all of that. If we were careful about scope and let Chris Avellone go wild with creating a new world, more of an open world, what could we do?

Skyrim for PC....Skyrim...Sky :dead:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm more interested in the second, practical part of that article than the pie in the sky bullshit he's floating in the first part for linkbait.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Haha, Obsidian delivers once again.

Remember, if you pledge for Skyrim 2D you're helping them make real RPGs!!!

Athelas

Arcane
By the way, I really don't think it's wise for Feargus to take it as a given that their second Kickstarted project will be (at least) as successful as PoE. I think InXile's success had more to do with the cult following of Torment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the way, I really don't think it's wise for Feargus to take it as a given that their second Kickstarted project will be successful. I think InXile's success had more to do with the cult following of Torment.

It doesn't need to be as successful, but if Double Fine could push through their Massive Chalice bullshit and get over a million dollars, then so can Obsidian make a new RPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The asking price should be something closer to 2 million because it's been proven that the 1 million dollar scope just isn't going to cut it.

LivingOne

Savant
No,but seriously aside from the vagueness of it all most of the ideas sound awful and worrisome:

-the Skyrim kickstarter is the one that worries me less because I doubt they'll do it

-same the episodic thing

-the reduced party size is the most disappointing.Granted I like storyfag RPGs too,but I'd rather have some proper dungeon crawling in my RPGs.Are we now doomed to have only storyfags kickstarters(or at least have to wait years,until they have more steady income)because of TToN success?I don't even expect a full crawler from them but at least a 50-50 affair like BG,PoE doesn't seem unreasonable.

-this:
It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”
Do they mean the Strange by Monte Cook kickstarted,here?Would make sense given its succes,the 'reduced party' thing and seeing it's got simple ruleset and a wacky setting(from what I read).

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
No,but seriously aside from the vagueness of it all most of the ideas sound awful and worrisome:

-this:
It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”
Do they mean the Strange by Monte Cook kickstarted,here?Would make sense given its succes,the 'reduced party' thing and seeing it's got simple ruleset and a wacky setting(from what I read).

How likely would it be that Obsidian would work with that setting though?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What's with the constant Skyrim name dropping anyway (see also CD Projekt RED)? You'd think there existed no open-world RPG's prior to it.

Couldn't have anything to do with it being massively successful both critically and commercially, could it?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
RPG with reduced party size? Pff, what a piece of shit. I bet it will be a retarded game like Fallout or Age of Decadence.

Rake

Arcane

-this:

Why not? The whole premise screams MCA's Torment spiritual successor. And i would love that game. Fuck your dungeon crawlers.
even thought i would prefer six party size, with more or less fixed party members like Torment had

BGMD

Learned
Sci-Fi RPG in vein of DS9, star-base and couple of near by systems, maybe even a wormhole... play as different alien races, customizable ship (fighter, trader, smugler...), Section 31 like organizations

:takemymoney:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Why not? The whole premise screams MCA's Torment spiritual successor. And i would love that game. Fuck your dungeon crawlers.
even thought i would prefer six party size, with more or less fixed party members like Torment had

I guess I doubt that Obsidian would use The Strange when InXile is using Numenera.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom