Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New skyrim previews

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/04/1 ... a-landing/

From the IGN one:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/116/1162158p1.html

The eight attribute categories from the previous Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion, have been cut out.

:rage:

Actually it might be unexpected incline since the attributes were kinda shit to begin with and beth was never good at properly balancing skills and attributes (hence arena being better than daggerfall :smug: ).

Speaking of Arena, we've gone a full 180, from stats and no skills to skills and no stats.

Captain Shrek

Removing a core mechanic is NEVER an incline. They could have improved it if they felt it was bad.

:decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Captain Shrek said:
Removing a core mechanic is NEVER an incline. They could have improved it if they felt it was bad.

:decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline:

I'd definitely prefer improvement too, but the overall character system could still be better, if only due to the perks. Maybe mods can fix this too. :smug:

Micmu

Magister
So the extreme dumbing down continues, bethesda fashion, eh?
So now it has NO STATS, just some leftover skills and perks.

Can you NOW move this shit to general gaming?????
GTA:San Andreas was discussed there, too.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... iew?page=3

Later on we also find a Staff of Magelight, which fires little balls of light into the darkness. You can dual-wield staffs.

:yeah:

Fortunately you can use chain lightning on them, or take advantage of the environment to skewer them on spikes or drown them in burning oil.

2el6t77.gif

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
micmu said:
So the extreme dumbing down continues, bethesda fashion, eh?
So now it has NO STATS, just some leftover skills and perks.

Not only is it not "extreme" dumbing down, it's not dumbing down at all since in all previous TES games the attributes were pretty shitty and the massive number of perks that come in skyrim more than overshadows their functionality.

ortucis

Prophet
From that IGN preview, looks like dungeons will have puzzles. Also, glass swords are still there. Who the fuck makes glass swords to fight dragons or.. anything? "Shouting" (dragon calls) has a cooldown? (you run out voice I guess)

Why is it a PC preview if the only build shown is 360? So many questions..

Either wait, sounds more fun that DA2.

ortucis

Prophet
Jim Cojones said:
ortucis said:
Also, glass swords are still there. Who the fuck makes glass swords to fight dragons or.. anything?
Glass is a translucent, tough but light mineral in TES world. Similar to how ebony isn't a wood there either.

What about paper? I can make paper swords anytime, why not turn it into a light mineral?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
ortucis said:
Jim Cojones said:
ortucis said:
Also, glass swords are still there. Who the fuck makes glass swords to fight dragons or.. anything?
Glass is a translucent, tough but light mineral in TES world. Similar to how ebony isn't a wood there either.

What about paper? I can make paper swords anytime, why not turn it into a light mineral?

Even in our world glass has a much broader meaning than "the shit your windows are made out of".

Real world obsidian, for example, is considered a type of glass. The aztecs made tools and weapons out of it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews ... view-cont/

To which Peter Hines, Bethesda’s vice president of marketing, cracks, “If no horse, how would we sell you horse armor?”

Howard had a quip of his own ready: “We’d still sell it to you—just no horse for it.”

:troll:

Howard says that they’ve found that the attributes were redundant. “We found that you built Intelligence to improve Magicka,” Howard says. “Why not improve just Magicka?

:x

Why not improve Intelligence?

Jason’s take: Vacation time booked. OK, silliness aside, this fall is going to be full of major games, but I’ve got a feeling that if Bethesda can hit this date, they’re going to give Mass Effect 3 a great fight for RPG of the year.

they’re going to give Mass Effect 3 a great fight for RPG of the year.

Mass Effect 3 ... RPG

:rage:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
The bioware disease is spreading:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/t ... -no-women/

So I held my tongue until this morning, hoping Bethesda would redeem itself with the pictures it released today. But so far, 30+ images and the only women are a two old women in town scenes and the blonde, um, barmaid.

I know the Devs read this forum, and I'm wondering: what is up? Every single Player Character shown is some ugly hulking guy. Are you not expecting us to buy the game? Play the game?

It gets hard to continue to support you when you completely ignore us. That was poorly put and offensive, and I apologize.

Killmoms had pointed out that there two women in the trailer and, of course, there is that blonde barmaid.

~ Dani ~ :)

Gay romances here we come.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DraQ said:
:retarded:

Wait, attributes are actually, really out?

:lol:

Reality has fucking degenerated into autoparody, itz like this thing Codex was talking about.
:troll:

Yep. Haven't quoted everything but I read all of the previews and by the looks of it their functionality was merged into the perks system. It's also possible that the current primary attributes (health/stamina/magicka) might have other effects (IE: raising health raises damage) but that could be just retarded gaming journalism.

Also, I'm pretty sure todd removed attributes just to troll me. :x

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110415033050799.jpg

The game certainly looks good. It'll make for (another) nice hiking sim, but I'll reluctantly admit it's no longer really a true RPG.

Still, excited for this one. Unique dungeons, better everything from Oblivion. Should be a lot of fun to play.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I honestly don't get it. RPGs are about player driven character development and skyrim is set up to have the most character building options since daggerfall. Attributes were removed but the 300 or so perks more than make up for it. Not that I wouldn't rather have both, but attributes are just a way to distinguish characters. They're not vital to the formula as long as there are other ways to do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom