Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to git gud like AIDS

:M

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm really starting to get annoyed by the book of grudges. I have a grudge to get an engineer to level 15, which is crazy. Then I confederated a kingdom and they had settlements in lands way at the bottom of the map, which obviously got taken by the Greenskins. Almost impossible to take them back. I just made peace with the vampires and was about to take the fight to the greenskins, when the empire got drawn into a war and pulled me along with it. They only have two settlements so I feel too bad to just let them die.

There really should be a way to abandon settlements you know you can't keep.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Zewp

That mod already exists. Check the workshop for 'Chaos Please Wait', which alters the Chaos invasion scripts. There's also an even more delayed version (from the same author).

There's also a mod that removes character assassinations (for AI), so that your lords aren't getting whacked by almost unstoppable assassins every second turn.

The problem with that mod is it pushes it back to turn 200, which is pretty much end-game. It's too early for me at the moment, but I'd prefer it a bit earlier than 200. It sounds like you just tweak a file to change a conditional expression, so maybe I'll go scrounge around and see if I can't do it myself.

Seethe

Arbiter
Steam refund option is a godsend. I got the game and refunded it immediately after 30 minutes of horrible FPS drops and crashes. How can Rome 2 and Total Warhammer look worse while also play worse than Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 is beyond me.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Steam refund option is a godsend. I got the game and refunded it immediately after 30 minutes of horrible FPS drops and crashes. How can Rome 2 and Total Warhammer look worse while also play worse than Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 is beyond me.

Medieval II is extremely old at this point, and Shogun 2 is five or six years old.

After the hotfix, the Nvidia driver update, and a couple of tweaks of my own (particularly setting the game to run in windowed mode; didn't realize TW supports borderless windowed now; my brother-in-law, who has my old computer, also got a big boost when I told him to set the game to windowed mode), Total Warhammer actually runs a lot better than Shogun 2 for me and far better than I expected. I'm told Shogun 2 runs better in DX9 mode, though.

For me, I get 80+ FPS everywhere on my 144Hz G-Sync monitor using ultra settings, even with 40 vs. 40 battles in weather.

If it doesn't work properly for you, refund away. I'd do the same. Performance shittiness doesn't seem to be the norm now, though, unlike launch day when the majority of people were affected.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.

You want to be a big badass like me? Just listen to these two hardcore strategies :

Most frequent strategy used against the AI : snipe them with archers for 5 min until they decide to move toward you, use your cavalry when they decide to charge a wave of lone archers first for some reason, send infantry against the remaining units that the AI decided to scatter across the map. HEROIC VICTORY.

Most complicated battle strategy ever required to beat the AI : Surround the enemy with cavalry, charge on the front in one blob with trash infantry and a monster, second wave with heavy infantry. Use archers to pepper the fags who try to surround them, use pikemen to defend these archers. Charge in the back with the surrounding cavalry. YOU WIN. Your hero can sit at the back and masturbate, the AI will not make a single intelligent move to adapt and outflank you.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The more I look at the map, the more I'm starting to think Dwarves are hands down simply the best faction, location-wise. You've got access to every other faction via Dwarfholds scattered all over the map. You start near the Orcs so you've got the Badlands if you want, there's a mountain between the Empire and Bretonnia, giving you easy access to both. Via the eastern mountains you have access to both the VC and the the Norsca tribes, if you want to attack them. You can really go anywhere on the map and the best part is, if you get destroyed in one part of the map you've got multiple backup locations to fall back to.

Is anyone else having issues with the graphics resetting for no apparent reason? I use MLAA because then I can play the game on High presets, but the game keeps changing that to FXAA 4x and then because I start to lag it downgrades the rest of my graphics.

Last edited:

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

You want to be a big badass like me? Just listen to these two hardcore strategies :

Most frequent strategy used against the AI : snipe them with archers for 5 min until they decide to move toward you, use your cavalry when they decide to charge a wave of lone archers first for some reason, send infantry against the remaining units that the AI decided to scatter across the map. HEROIC VICTORY.

Most complicated battle strategy ever required to beat the AI : Surround the enemy with cavalry, charge on the front in one blob with trash infantry and a monster, second wave with heavy infantry. Use archers to pepper the fags who try to surround them, use pikemen to defend these archers. Charge in the back with the surrounding cavalry. YOU WIN. Your hero can sit at the back and masturbate, the AI will not make a single intelligent move to adapt and outflank you.

Good thing everyone who actually played the game knows you just talk shit.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Playing multiplayer with Undead Phoenix right now. He's kay-oz, I'm vampy cunts.

1: Only supports 2 players? Boo.
2: for some reason we're in an alliance and he can't break it
3: If one guy wants to fight a battle vs the ai and the other guy doesnt' want to spectate, it gets autoresolved. Cost me a bunch of dire wolves I wouldn't have lost if I had done it manually. :(
4: AI is even more retarded than blaine trying to defend a bad purchase. I just watched Archaeon the Everchosen plink 2/3rds of an enemy army with fireballs while standing alone in the middle of the map. The enemy army never moved until Phoenix sent his cavalry in

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er-is-the-fastest-selling-total-war-game-ever

Total War: Warhammer is the fastest-selling Total War game ever

Strategy game Total War: Warhammer, which is still not called Total Warhammer, is the fastest-selling Total War game ever.

It sold over half a million copies in the first few days on sale, developer Creative Assembly said.

That sales success has resulted in the game regularly topping 100,000 concurrent players on Steam, the developer added.

Total War: Warhammer launched in a much more stable state than some previous entries in the series, something Eurogamer strategy king Chris Bratt noted in his performance video, below.

"The team paid particular attention to stability and performance throughout the game's development and thoroughly enjoyed creating new ways to play Total War within Games Workshop's stunning Warhammer Fantasy world," commented studio director Tim Heaton.

"We're very proud of it, and it's wonderful to see the game receiving such a great reception from critics, Total War veterans and new players alike."

It's pretty impressive that they managed to do this after Rome 2. Ubi tried to appease fans after Unity, but I think Syndicate's sales still dropped. It looks like the players appreciated the 2 years of R2TW patching and finally an o.k. Attila to give CA the benefit of doubt again.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.

Sure would help if you bought the game and knew what you were talking about. But then dumb AI is not an issue for easily bemused persons who wants to accumulate heroic victories while making use of a single brainfart streak.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Ask phoenix in our multiplayer campaign right now. Plinking enemies with arrows and spells without losing a single unit is legit.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
AIDS your first point for me is not true. The enemies are coming to me immediately so far.

Your second point is actually a good strategy and I don't get why it's stupid to win if you manage to do that well. Sounds completely logical and not always achievable tbh

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
But I can say I'm not too good with real time stuff so the game is challeging enough for my taste. In Rome 2 I remember the AI not being able to do basic stuff, like charging and stopping every 1 second or waiting inside walls while being rained by arrows

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
if you manage to do that well.

This is basic Total War. 10 clicks and you're set, are you having troubles just executing that? It works because the AI moves as an incoherent blob and won't ever try to counter your moves.

You try a cookie cutter strategy like that in multiplayer and your opponent will sweep the floor with you.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I by no means suggest I'm good in TW. I didn't even like most of them.
The setting is what drew me in again and the game is fun so far (for me)

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Its alright for a game to accommodate inexperienced players with an easy difficulty setting. The only problem is that in this game they forgot to code the AI for the hard settings.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm hoping someone mods the AI to be more competitive without cheating like motherfuckers. I see there are already a few mods up that are trying to attempt that, but no idea if any of them are any good.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sure would help if you bought the game and knew what you were talking about. But then dumb AI is not an issue for easily bemused persons who wants to accumulate heroic victories while making use of a single brainfart streak.

You outed yourself as a liar beyond any possibility of doubt. You watched the same part of the hour-long Let's Play we all watched, saw the same glitch the rest of us saw, and then, since you haven't actually played the game and have no genuine experiential criticisms to share, made the blunder of assuming that the AI mills around uselessly under missile fire on a regular basis. In actuality, it's so rare that I doubt any Codexer who actually bought the game has seen it happen yet.

You and the rest of the edgelord "purist" idiots repeatedly moronposting in this thread for "I only like the originals!" brownie points should climb back into your clown car and drive it off a cliff. It's one thing to discuss actual weaknesses of the game, but when you need to play pretend like a toddler, you're basically just throwing a temper tantrum.

kris

Arcane

Ask phoenix in our multiplayer campaign right now. Plinking enemies with arrows and spells without losing a single unit is legit.

Really? In my many battles that has not happened to me one single time. At best I been able to shot up all my cannon ammunition twice while they sat back. (offensive battles)

kris

Arcane
Once again if your in a siege battle and the enemy outnumbers you simply deploying in the center of your base in the town square is your best bet, leave ranged units on walls to inflict what casualties they can then retreat them back as the wall falls, in the center you have max 3 entries that you can block off and your in the city center so all your units will be unbreakable and fight till the death, it also lets you use catapult and archers smash the enemy as they bunch up to attack.

I never get any siege battles, the AI never assault me, the few times they even start a siege...

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
You outed yourself as a liar beyond any possibility of doubt. You watched the same part of the hour-long Let's Play we all watched, saw the same glitch the rest of us saw, and then, since you haven't actually played the game and have no genuine experiential criticisms to share

cRJe6ol.png

Goofy Blaine caught making baseless assumptions. Sad.

In actuality, it's so rare that I doubt any Codexer who actually bought the game has seen it happen yet.

I just watched Archaeon the Everchosen plink 2/3rds of an enemy army with fireballs while standing alone in the middle of the map. The enemy army never moved until Phoenix sent his cavalry in

Low information poster.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Never said the AI is great or even good, but there is a difference between what AIDS claims and what happens ingame. Also, please point me to a game where AI isn't exploitable.

Protip for you and phoenix: Play the other mode (can't recall the name right now, but you can change it when you click coop when you start multi campaign). Its what I do with my friend, and it is fucking awesome (no forced alliance, other player uses enemy armies in battles).

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
''B-But he AI has some flaws in every games... T-That means it's acceptable if it's completely broken here.''

Inf0mercial

Augur
Once again if your in a siege battle and the enemy outnumbers you simply deploying in the center of your base in the town square is your best bet, leave ranged units on walls to inflict what casualties they can then retreat them back as the wall falls, in the center you have max 3 entries that you can block off and your in the city center so all your units will be unbreakable and fight till the death, it also lets you use catapult and archers smash the enemy as they bunch up to attack.

I never get any siege battles, the AI never assault me, the few times they even start a siege...

What difficulty you on? I am on VH its the only way to play Total war games and the only difficulty the AI does anything worthwhile on the campaign map even if it is stupid aggression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom