Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Thank god there's chaos. At least it makes the artificial difficulty in VH somewhat immersive.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
''B-But he AI has some flaws in every games... T-That means it's acceptable if it's completely broken here.''

Could you please at least put some effort in your trolling? You're not even funny. If you just want to shitpost, I am sure a intelligent individual like you know where GD is to be found.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, I'm sure AIDS just happened to experience the exact same flaws he was bitching about long before the game released during a single hour of play, including one I have yet to experience in 2,873 hours of playing the game.

da86c54c23.png

The autism in this thread keeps intensifying.

I like the game and I have little to no complaints about it. But then again I am an unforgivable fanboy so I will once more state that the MUSIC FUCKING SUCKS GOD DAMMIT GET MARK KNIGHT BACK YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES I HATE YOU SO MUCH

Inf0mercial

Augur
Ok question why the fuck do dwarf rebellions spawn orks? When i was being sieged early on i let it boil over so a rebellion stack would spawn and distract the enemy nope it spawns feral orks what the fuck? That's a mindfuck on so many levels and they were neutral to the orks attacking me really annoying.

Edit: Yes all music past Medieval 2 has fucking sucked.

Haven't played much Total War since that Nappy game. My main gripe with bad music and a warhammer fantasy game like this is that Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat had an excellent composer that they could have easily enlisted to do the music for them. That way they'd have fitting tunes for what's happening on the screen instead of the generic bullcrap you're stuck with now.

Ah well, at least it's not a game that has good music and shitty gameplay. That's even worse.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Haven't played much Total War since that Nappy game. My main gripe with bad music and a warhammer fantasy game like this is that Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat had an excellent composer that they could have easily enlisted to do the music for them. That way they'd have fitting tunes for what's happening on the screen instead of the generic bullcrap you're stuck with now.

Ah well, at least it's not a game that has good music and shitty gameplay. That's even worse.

Open up Med 2 or Rome 1 listen to music then open up any of the games after med2 fuck listen to the general speeches oh wait they don't exist anymore.

The combat music i think is what suffered the most, rome 1 had awesome battle music.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Yeah, I'm sure AIDS just happened to experience the exact same flaws he was bitching about long before the game released during a single hour of play, including one I have yet to experience in 2,873 hours of playing the game.

da86c54c23.png

Are you implying I photoshoped it? Are you really implying that? Because I can just link you to my account if you want.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It really doesn't matter whether you've played it or not, nor for how long, because you were spouting bullshit regardless. Your two triumphant talking points were clearly nonsensical, anecdotes notwithstanding. I have a driver's license and a car. That doesn't stop me from telling tall tales, such as: "Man, I was blasting down the freeway at 110 when a cop shot out of his speed trap and put his flashers on... but wouldn't you know it, just then a moose jumped out in front of his cruiser and he skidded off onto the shoulder! All the cars in the right-hand lane pulled over, the drivers got out, and then they started clapping."

I don't understand why people like you camp the thread of some game you dislike not for hours, not for days, but for weeks or even months at a time, just bitching and shitposting. You've been in this thread for about three weeks so far, bitching and trashing the game from day one.

Generally speaking, if I don't like a game, I ignore its thread. I might leave a post or two describing why I think the game is shit, and on extremely rare occasions I may even check the thread several times over the course of two or three days to finish up conversations before abandoning it.

Do you think that if you bitch hard enough, CA will cave and develop Medieval III to your highly specific personal specifications? Are you trying to convince the one or two Codexers who are on the fence not to buy Total Warhammer? Do you have nothing else better to do with your time? Are you just clinically insane, perhaps? Surely it has to be one of the above.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
If I bought it that means I liked the idea. The AI takes the game out of video game leaving us with a 3D engine for Warhammer models display.

I don't have a disposable Indian slave to run as my opponent instead of the AI so I'm just going to lay off the game and wait if CA ever fixes it to functional levels or someone miraculously makes a mod of Germanicus proportions.

By the way I hate medieval 2 vanilla more than this game. Where the fuck does this accusation come from?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fuck you guys, I'm streaming GoT.

Also in Dark Omen and SotHR you could also take out entire stacks of units with no losses simply by kiting them with ranged units and wizards. Hell, you often had to, those games were brutal.

Vibalist

Arcane
You outed yourself as a liar beyond any possibility of doubt. You watched the same part of the hour-long Let's Play we all watched, saw the same glitch the rest of us saw, and then, since you haven't actually played the game and have no genuine experiential criticisms to share

cRJe6ol.png

Goofy Blaine caught making baseless assumptions. Sad.

So let me get this straight: You bitch and whine about the game for weeks prior to its release, stating that it's going to suck, and then you buy it. On day one.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
Once again if your in a siege battle and the enemy outnumbers you simply deploying in the center of your base in the town square is your best bet, leave ranged units on walls to inflict what casualties they can then retreat them back as the wall falls, in the center you have max 3 entries that you can block off and your in the city center so all your units will be unbreakable and fight till the death, it also lets you use catapult and archers smash the enemy as they bunch up to attack.

I never get any siege battles, the AI never assault me, the few times they even start a siege...

What difficulty you on? I am on VH its the only way to play Total war games and the only difficulty the AI does anything worthwhile on the campaign map even if it is stupid aggression.

i played some turns on normal first, was to easy. Then I only played one hard and rest on very hard. My longest being an empire on very hard and the AI just siege until I decide to break it. i actually waited several turns longer just so I could see them do an assault, but have to end that before supplies run out.

i do suspect that the AI calculate the odds in some way and possibly come to the conclusion that it will lose and therefore dont do it.

Guy who played the game for only 60 minutes claims it's great while guy who played it for 2000 hours claims it's shit.

If the game is so good why only play it for 1 hour and if it's so shit why play it for 2000?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm going to have too agree with Blaine here, I've literally not seen the AI sit there and let me shoot them down with arrows. The main reason I take artillery with every army is it's a guaranteed way to get the AI to come to me.

i played some turns on normal first, was to easy. Then I only played one hard and rest on very hard. My longest being an empire on very hard and the AI just siege until I decide to break it. i actually waited several turns longer just so I could see them do an assault, but have to end that before supplies run out.

It makes sense, to a degree. My first campaign was on normal and I frequently had siege battles, but on Hard I just get starved out because I guess the AI thinks that's more effective. I'm hoping someone will release a mod that makes it engage in more siege battles because I really like them.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm going to have too agree with Blaine here, I've literally not seen the AI sit there and let me shoot them down with arrows. The main reason I take artillery with every army is it's a guaranteed way to get the AI to come to me.

It appears to be scripted to react to siege weapons only. In the multiplayer game me and Phoenix had, I made the mistake using small units. (Thought it would speed up battles). The result was that spellcasters could chunk the enemy with AoE. Fireball was particularly good with its range. You could merrily plink away with just your wizard moved forward for as long as you liked. Even with 3/4 of its units dead from fireballs, the ai wouldn't move out. Ranged cavalry in skirmish stance is also mostly ignored except the ai will turn archers to face it.

These are for battles where the ai is defending and has a decent hill to sit on. On the offensive or makes a token effort to fight. But I've yet to see it react to a wide flanking manoeuvre by cavalry. It will cheerfully leave its ranged units undefended and send it's spearmen into the infantry moshpit. Even when the cavalry is plainly visible to it. If you skip siege, you too can enjoy 0 casualties through the wonders of GRUNKERing the system.

Likewise, during castle sieges, the ai had never pulled units off the walls. Even when the door is broken down and I have units sitting in the town square.

kris

Arcane

It appears to be scripted to react to siege weapons only. In the multiplayer game me and Phoenix had, I made the mistake using small units. (Thought it would speed up battles). The result was that spellcasters could chunk the enemy with AoE. Fireball was particularly good with its range. You could merrily plink away with just your wizard moved forward for as long as you liked. Even with 3/4 of its units dead from fireballs, the ai wouldn't move out. Ranged cavalry in skirmish stance is also mostly ignored except the ai will turn archers to face it.

These are for battles where the ai is defending and has a decent hill to sit on. On the offensive or makes a token effort to fight. But I've yet to see it react to a wide flanking manoeuvre by cavalry. It will cheerfully leave its ranged units undefended and send it's spearmen into the infantry moshpit. Even when the cavalry is plainly visible to it. If you skip siege, you too can enjoy 0 casualties through the wonders of GRUNKERing the system.

Likewise, during castle sieges, the ai had never pulled units off the walls. Even when the door is broken down and I have units sitting in the town square.

but you said before that you could pick of the AI with arrows. I seen the non-reaction to spells, even if I never been in a position to kill 3/4, more like 1/10. But the moment i fire my first arrow the AI will rush. As I said before, for me it sometimes dont react to siege weapons, in particular when i only had one.

0 casaulties. I find it really hard to believe that is anything but an exception, one i never seen for myself. Enemy lord alone will normally chunk away a few men or more.

Norfleet

I think this is pretty traditional in Total War AI, really. In all previous games, the AI has frequently been quite happy, when, designated as a "Defender", to patiently let me unload each and every last round of ammo I have, and is happy to never, ever, leave the walls, even when I completely go around his entire defending force and scale the walls on the other side of the map.

When ATTACKING a city, he gets even more confused, and will not abort the assault even when I have destroyed all his siege units, leaving him with no ability to enter the castle, repeatedly chasing random units that sally forth to bait him back into range of the turrets until nearly all his men are dead. Occasionally, for reasons utterly unknown to me, entire units will simply sit within range of the towers until every man has been shot dead.

This has happened in every single Total War game since the beginning, and I see that, apparently, nothing has changed.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Honestly I am more in the position that the Ai is massing too many archers letting me tie up their melee units then smash the archers with a couple of squads. This is playing as the dwarfs as well the slowest fucks to ever exist.

Then again I always use siege units and the Ai as soon as its in range of them rushed toward.

Oh is anyone else really fucking butthurt at doom diver accuracy? 4 grudge throwers vs one and I swear it wins, in field battles it fucking cripples entire squads with sniper like accuracy.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
When ATTACKING a city, he gets even more confused, and will not abort the assault even when I have destroyed all his siege units, leaving him with no ability to enter the castle, repeatedly chasing random units that sally forth to bait him back into range of the turrets until nearly all his men are dead. Occasionally, for reasons utterly unknown to me, entire units will simply sit within range of the towers until every man has been shot dead.

This has happened in every single Total War game since the beginning, and I see that, apparently, nothing has changed.

Armies dont need siege weapons to take a wall in this game. All units either have automatic ladders, can fly or can break the gate.

kris

Arcane
Honestly I am more in the position that the Ai is massing too many archers letting me tie up their melee units then smash the archers with a couple of squads. This is playing as the dwarfs as well he slowest fucks to ever exist.

Then again I always use siege units and the Ai as soon as its in range of them rushed toward.

Oh is anyone else really fucking butthurt at doom diver accuracy? 4 grudge throwers vs one and I swear it wins, in field battles it fucking cripples entire squads with sniper like accuracy.

against Orks I just beat them in missile vs missile battle, quarellers are just so much better.

Doom divers are indeed really good, fortunately (in reality a pity) for you as a player that is an advanced unit and I am yet to see AI build advanced units. Grimgor just start with one...

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
These are for battles where the ai is defending and has a decent hill to sit on. On the offensive or makes a token effort to fight. But I've yet to see it react to a wide flanking manoeuvre by cavalry. It will cheerfully leave its ranged units undefended and send it's spearmen into the infantry moshpit. Even when the cavalry is plainly visible to it.

No, definitely. The AI is really simplistic. The AI is disgustingly incompetent for a 2016 game. There's one tactic for every situation and it doesn't even change between faction. It's why they have to buff the AI in battles to give you a challenge, because the AI isn't competent on its own. I'm really hoping players can create mods to improve the AI so that it can adapt more to what you're doing instead of always making a beeline for your troops and creating a moshpit. CA relies entirely on fucking you over on the campaign map to make the game difficult.

On the other hand, I just had a battle against Chaos where I was being reinforced by a sizable Empire garrison. The yellow bar on the pre-battle screen was all the way to the right so it should have been a cakewalk. They spawned in behind Chaos and then proceeded to sit there and watch indifferently as Chaos completely trampled my 20-stack army that wasn't equipped to deal with the enemies they were up against.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Partially functional Brettonian campaign in the files. Guess that settles what the first DLC will be.

Totally new content guys! Not cut content from the base game!

:troll:

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
So let me get this straight: You bitch and whine about the game for weeks prior to its release, stating that it's going to suck, and then you buy it. On day one.

Steam refunds son.

It's funny tho, I was being accused of not having bought the game and criticizing it, now I'm accused of having bought the game and not liking it. You can never win with these guys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom