Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

MikeJahn

Educated
VATS is actually often your grave in close combat because you stop moving long enough for enemies to hit you.

CrimHead

Scholar
"4chan-grade lulz" says Skyway without a hint of irony.

protip: lulz are, by definition, 4chan grade

Black Sun

Novice
Is it possible to play without using VATS? I refuse to use it and when I tried to play Fallout 3 without it I'd just rage, the shooting mechanic's were pure ass.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
MikeJahn said:
VATS is actually often your grave in close combat because you stop moving long enough for enemies to hit you.

That's why I prefer to run away while screaming like a little girl as I empty clip after clip in their general direction.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Snuck around aforementioned convicts, dropped two dynamite sticks on their asses and fired a few quick shots to end it. Almost got flamed all the way to hell. Very fun "encounter."

How do you install those nifty Weapon Mods by the way?

My guess is with a workbench which should be in the General Store, but I can't seem to find one.

MikeJahn

Educated
Black Sun said:
Is it possible to play without using VATS? I refuse to use it and when I tried to play Fallout 3 without it I'd just rage, the shooting mechanic's were pure ass.

Easily, I play mostly without using it myself. The iron sights really make it easier to play without VATS

Grunker said:
Snuck around aforementioned convicts, dropped two dynamite sticks on their asses and fired a few quick shots to end it. Almost got flamed all the way to hell. Very fun "encounter."

How do you install those nifty Weapon Mods by the way?

My guess is with a workbench which should be in the General Store, but I can't seem to find one.

The workbenches aren't in the General Store, they're between the General Store and the Saloon out in the open.

Also, you don't need a workbench to install weapon mods. Open up your Pip-boy and scroll to the weapons tab. Y'know where the Repair icon was displayed up in the upper right hand of the screen for each weapon in FO3? The mod icon is right below it, and tells you what button to push to start modding your weapons. No external benches necessary.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I think skyway is one breakdown away from starting his own forum, all hate, all skyway 24/7.

falloutnv20101021154911.jpg

Look to the upper right, Grunker.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
MikeJahn said:
Jasede said:
I suck, even the tutorial geckos kick my ass on Very Hard mode. What's your secret? (Not to even mention the half a dozen or so of geckos that storm at you in that first quest.)
Steal everything you find in the houses, repair guns to top condition and try to sneak attack the geckos , also try to remain mobile, if you can keep back peddling it becomes easier. Also aim for the head - a good head shot stuns the shit out of them and allows you to score more hits.

Also when you find explosives hoard them. I was under the false impression that since they're so easy to find then it's unnecessary to grab every last grenade/dynamite stick. Turns out every last explosive is invaluable against later monsters.

All great advice for Very Hard, thanks. I killed them with some sticks of dynamite and, I admit, a little bit of the old "they can't hit me on top of a rock, mmmkay?".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Doh. Never even noticed the repair-icon, I just pressed R, haha.

Couldn't see the forest, I guess. Thanks.

Silellak

Cipher
Grunker said:
Doh. Never even noticed the repair-icon, I just pressed R, haha.

Couldn't see the forest, I guess. Thanks.
Nah, it's understandable. Shitty console-ported interface is shitty. If I'm playing a PC RPG and can't press "I" for inventory or "M" for map, then the interface designer has failed.

Don't even get me started on the awful controls for that Caravan card game. :x

Black Sun said:

Yes, just don't press the button. Might be even easier as you won't need to spend perks that improve it.

Trash said:
So, anyone already tried this puppy with only one point in intelligence?

You need to have 1 point of intelligence already to even install this shit.

Uh huh huh huh

beavisbutthead.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Trash said:
Drakron said:
Tails said:
Can anyone tell me how much different is VATS in NV from FO3? I wonder if it still dramatically reduces the damage or less?

Its about the same in that regard, you are pretty much in God Mode during VATS.

Not when playing in hardcore mode on normal difficulty you're not. Died quite a few times already DURING vats.

Yep, VATS death is quite common for me. I'm loving that I have to switch ammo types for robots and other armored targets too to actually do some damage. Met up with some Caesar Legion 'pussies'. Thought my level 7 char would beat up 3 of these fuckers, instead it was desperate battle for survival that it the end I failed! Just playing hardcore with normal difficulty and it's a tough old battle. Dying a lot more than in FO1 and 2 at this point.

I almost pity Skyway...this game is overtaking FO2 for consistent atmosphere for me at the moment.

Topher

Cipher
Well, I'm glad the patch I uploaded works. With luck it should reduce the number of crashes people are experiencing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Topher said:
Well, I'm glad the patch I uploaded works. With luck it should reduce the number of crashes people are experiencing.

I haven't had any thus far at least. Only an annoying graphics glitch that goes away if I restart the game. Oh, and on fast-travel back and forth from a place where I just killed som doodz, their corpses rain from the sky. Pretty amusing, actually.

CrimHead

Scholar
Question: Is luck important for stealthy characters (ie scoring sneak attack criticals) or is it just for criticals outside of sneaking?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Game has been pretty fun so far. Been doing a lot of quests in the New Vegas Strip. Fucking shitload of opportunities to play different sides and backstab with the various factions there. The main quest really does pick up a lot when you get there.

One thing that really annoys me about this game is the way the soundtrack was handled. I like Mark Morgan's music just as much as the next Fallout fan but it's used really carelessly here. Tracks like "Metallic Monks" with its loud machinery and keyboard samples just sound so odd and out of place when you're exploring an old abandoned cottage or dark cave. :?

roll-a-die

Magister
Jaesun said:
So was Fallout 3 as buggy at release as NV was? I don't remember.
Fairly close, then they fucked everything up by modifying how ESP's and ESM's worked, in the second patch, fucking up anyone who ever modded, EVER. Then they fixed that as well, and it's to around NV levels of buggery still.

CrimHead said:
Question: Is luck important for stealthy characters (ie scoring sneak attack criticals) or is it just for criticals outside of sneaking?

I don't think it helps at all innately if you are relying on sneak attack criticals, but you need 6 (along with 6 PE) for the better criticals perk that gives +50% critical damage. Also, don't factor out standard critical attacks. 10% might not sound like a lot, but FO3 had weapons with 4x or 5x critical multiplier that made them fairly reliable. Dunno if FNV weapons are similarly balanced though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom