Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
hoochimama said:
Have you found any safe place to store loot in the game? It seems your companions won't carry certain faction-specific armor for you, and I can't really carry all the disguises on my own.
I'm storing everything in one of the petrol stations that has plenty of storage units and an ammo workbench. It's south from the starting town.

I think if you toss stuff in the various Mojave Express containers you can yank them out elsewhere for a nominal cap fee, or I'm just making that up.

Joghurt

Augur
Just stopped playing after 6-7 hour playing session. Fuck me. I haven't played any new game for this amount of time in a long time. So far It's pretty fucking awesome.

Does anybody know if Luck affects your gambling ability in NV? I have 3 Luck and pretty fucking hard to win any money at black jack.

Also so far the characters and factions are really well done. They all have pretty cool stories and motives for their actions. So far my favorite faction is The Kings. Their leader is a badass dude. Although I still haven't talked to the major "evil" factions like Ceasar's Legion or The Great Khans.

Also BoS guys seem much better done then lulzy BoS from F3. BoS Base is just like the one from F1.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
roll-a-die said:
Jaesun said:
So was Fallout 3 as buggy at release as NV was? I don't remember.
Fairly close, then they fucked everything up by modifying how ESP's and ESM's worked, in the second patch, fucking up anyone who ever modded, EVER. Then they fixed that as well, and it's to around NV levels of buggery still.

That's what I vaguely remember as well. Thanks.

Freelance Henchman said:
Fuck, I want to play now. :(

Famous last words. I cannot count the amount of times people have gotten excited over one of these new games(tm) and then, a couple of weeks later, denounced them followed by a mass of angry Codexers that bought the game on the strength of the excitement.

Give it some time first. It hasn't even been a week, and most of the people carrying on loved Dragon Age as well, with a majority of said people also loving Alpha Protocol. I am waiting to see if anyone 'new' pops up and says how wonderful it is apart from the usual people that get over excited with the initial rush.

Let the first touch of the woman vanish, the alcohol wear off, and see what they think in the morning. Your money will still be there, only you will have earned interest on it.

Don't forget it has online DRM as well, better known as steam. I haven't seen any comments about whether there is a....'friendlier' version around and what shape it is in.

Jaesun said:
Exactly Blackadder. I'll be waiting a while yet.

I apologise my friend: Let the first touch of the man vanish, the alcohol wear off, and see what they think in the morning. Your money will still be there, only you will have earned interest on it.

CrimHead

Scholar
I've clocked 6 hours so far. Experienced 1 bug (saw a generic npc stuck waste deep in a bar counter) and a couple moments where my pc inexplicably stuttered and lagged. Good performance (50 fps while wandering, low 40's to mid 30's while fighting) on high settings. Game is great so far. Turning out to be the one of the best RPGs I've played in a while.

PS: Suck it, haters.
talidance.gif

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Main quest has been really good so far. Some spoilers below but nothing major.

Just found out it's possible to play Mr. House and other New Vegas factions as part of a plan you can put together on your own to overthrow Mr. House and become the city's top dog yourself. Fuckin A. Right now I'm doing a few jobs for various factions to see how they operate. You can decide which ones you want as allies and which ones you want wiped out once you learn how they operate.

Have also been doing work for Mr. House, letting him get everything set up before I betray and kill him. Mr. House also gives you a huge hotel suite with multiple rooms for storing gear, and you can send any party members to stay there until you need them again instead of them always going back to their hometown when you dismiss them.

That's just one path for you though, that only opens up if you kill Benny and get the platinum chip from him. You can also side with Benny, or stay loyal to Mr. House, And then there's obviously Caesar's Legion and NCR to work for. Main quest definitely has a lot of different paths for you to take, replays should be really fun.

CrimHead

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
CrimHead said:
Question: Is luck important for stealthy characters (ie scoring sneak attack criticals) or is it just for criticals outside of sneaking?
you need 6 (along with 6 PE) for the better criticals perk that gives +50% critical damage.

Does that include sneak attack crits? I'm killing most everyone with those.

hiver

VERY IMPORTANT NEWS FLAsH!!!

Sunny Smiles dog, Cheyenne, in fact does attack you after you try to shoot it during the tutorial when you have to hit a few bottles.
I REPEAT - SHE DOES ATTACK.
And kills you too.

Now you can all be at peace and continue playing. THE MYSTERY HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!!

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
commie said:
Limitations of an engine is an engines fault, particularly when Obsidian were contracted to use Bethesda's version of Shitbryo.
Ah so you did blame Bethesda after all.

Divinity II uses this engine too and it's quite serviceable, but that's not the tool Obsidian got to use now is it? What could they do with it, really? They had a year to rattle off a game and did the best they could. Maybe they should have used the TOEE engine, but I don't think Bethesda would have allowed this to happen.
And again it's Bethesda's fault!

Fanboys are so boring and pathetic - they will blame everything - lack of time (because that wasn't Obsidian which decided to pick a year long contract), an engine (even though it is known for being extremely flexible) and Bethesda (they specially nerfed down the gameplay aspect of an engine so poor Obsidian wouldn't make a good game) - but Obsidian.
If Obsidian had at least a little bit of talent they would've managed to do anything with Gamebryo.

But I guess Obsidian also had to work with specially nerfed Sega's version of Unreal Shitgine 3 in Alphaturd.

Fucking A

Also lol at flip flops in this thread.

Quest-compass, VATS, enemy radar, 4chan-grade lulz, ugly graphics and characters and other dumb shit were retarded when Bethesda did it, but when Beth slapped an Obsidian logo on it it suddenly became a good game.

Codex 2010 is such a pile of shit.

snooki.gif

Another quality meltdown brought to you by the codex.

Secretninja

Cipher
Really enjoying it so far. Not entirely fond of how the dialogue checks are either pass if you have the skill of fail if you don't. So far nothing along the lines of f3 retardery. It either is serious or lulzy, not lulzily failing to be serious.

I also seem to have broken the game by equipping a stealth boy in the van graffs shop and stealing everything. Now I have amazing weapons that have made everything a joke. Wish I had them in vault 34. That place was actually really hard.

Just started playing. Initial thoughts:

I'm really enjoying the skill system. I've restarted just because I wanted to have a build to show me the full extent of the crafting systems. As far as I can tell every skill and every stat is pretty viable to focus in. Really a nice step up from FO1/2s system of half the skills just being what you picked from after you were done maxing small guns, and a huge step up from FO3s every skill is near max at level 15 BS.

Liking the overall world design. Still don't like how deserted F:NV cities feel compared to FO1/2, but at least its better then FO3. The god damn starting town in F:NV is bigger then any town I remember in FO3. It also at least has a decent reason to feel a bit deserted since it is in a desert.

Game is running really good FPS wise (max settings on an 8800GT) and no crashes within the first 4 hours. Not seeing any huge problems other then 1 enemy so far that was stuck in scenery.

hiver said:

Sunny Smiles dog, Cheyenne, in fact does attack you after you try to shoot it during the tutorial when you have to hit a few bottles.
And kills you too.

Now you can all be at peace and continue playing. THE MYSTERY HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!!
:love:

Joghurt said:
Just stopped playing after 6-7 hour playing session. Fuck me. I haven't played any new game for this amount of time in a long time. So far It's pretty fucking awesome.

Does anybody know if Luck affects your gambling ability in NV? I have 3 Luck and pretty fucking hard to win any money at black jack.

Luck affecting your gambling ability was mentioned in about 75% of all the new vegas preview videos. Dunno if 10 luck means infinite money or what.

CrimHead said:
Overweight Manatee said:
CrimHead said:
Question: Is luck important for stealthy characters (ie scoring sneak attack criticals) or is it just for criticals outside of sneaking?
you need 6 (along with 6 PE) for the better criticals perk that gives +50% critical damage.

Does that include sneak attack crits? I'm killing most everyone with those.

Yes.

hiver

Anyone has a link for the patch?
the links Topher left now lead to some strangely named mp3s.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Blackadder said:
Freelance Henchman said:

Famous last words. I cannot count the amount of times people have gotten excited over one of these new games(tm) and then, a couple of weeks later, denounced them followed by a mass of angry Codexers that bought the game on the strength of the excitement.

Give it some time first. It hasn't even been a week, and most of the people carrying on loved Dragon Age as well, with a majority of said people also loving Alpha Protocol. I am waiting to see if anyone 'new' pops up and says how wonderful it is apart from the usual people that get over excited with the initial rush.

Let the first touch of the woman vanish, the alcohol wear off, and see what they think in the morning. Your money will still be there, only you will have earned interest on it.

Don't forget it has online DRM as well, better known as steam. I haven't seen any comments about whether there is a....'friendlier' version around and what shape it is in.
Keep fighting the good fight. "I haven't played the game but I'm convinced that it's shit!"

Vault Dweller said:
Blackadder said:
Freelance Henchman said:

Keep fighting the good fight. "I haven't played the game but I'm convinced that it's shit!"

Of course. Much more intelligent to blindly buy the game based on hype by people like yourself that claimed Fallout 3 was 'good for what it is' than wait until more discerning people play the game and report back.

Overweight Manatee said:
hiver said:

And kills you too.

:love:

indian.jpg

I can die happy now.

Topher

Cipher
hiver said:
Anyone has a link for the patch?
the links Topher left now lead to some strangely named mp3s.

That's interesting but no matter the Pirate Bay now has the skidrow version up for download. Just search New Vegas and it should be the first link.

Mortmal

Arcane
Short impressions its truly an amazing game, probably as good as fallout 1-2 . Now of course you have to stomach the vat combat system, it has been tweaked but its still there and off course the clunky UI .

The majority of quests dont even requires much fighting 3/4 of the quests dont requires it,and can be solved by talking, bribing, or using some skills, you are even allowed to be a complete bastard this time, finally real evil.
Theres many interwined plots, the quest design is superb , the area design, well what to say.. everything bare the core 3D engine is way way ahead of fallout 3. One simple example , in fallout 3 you find an annoying kid village, in new vegas they hunt rats in ruins with a knife and are exploited by some street trader.

Theres really no reasons to wait before getting it unless you are a masochist, it runs o ultra setting on my 4 year old pc.
Off course theres a few bugs, one prevented me to start plots(activating hellios 1 before restoring the hope quest), but i prefer way more that game to any recent polished turd like arcania.You will say its obsidian its bound to be bugged, but its also have a damn better story and more complex quests.

Really it has been so far a very addictive experience ,as entertaining as the fallouts were in their days.
Undoubtly the rpg of the year , best rpg since 5 years at least.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Blackadder said:
Vault Dweller said:
Blackadder said:
Freelance Henchman said:

Of course. Much more intelligent to blindly buy the game based on hype by people like yourself that claimed Fallout 3 was 'good for what it is' than wait until more discerning people play the game and report back.
I'm detecting a butthurt there.

First, Fallout 3 was good for what it was - a sandbox action RPG. I don't think that my review claimed that it was anything more than that. Second, unless I'm mistaken there are a lot of people who are very enthusiastic about NV, calling it amazing, great, very good, fantastic, etc, but hey, keeping holding your ears going "la la la I can't hear you". Lemme know how that's gonna work out for you.

Mortmal said:
Short impressions its truly an amazing game, probably as good as fallout 1-2 . Now of course you have to stomach the vat combat system, it has been tweaked but its still there and off course the clunky UI .

The majority of quests dont even requires much fighting 3/4 of the quests dont requires it,and can be solved by talking, bribing, or using some skills, you are even allowed to be a complete bastard this time, finally real evil.
Theres many interwined plots, the quest design is superb , the area design, well what to say.. everything bare the core 3D engine is way way ahead of fallout 3. One simple example , in fallout 3 you find an annoying kid village, in new vegas they hunt rats in ruins with a knife and are exploited by some street trader.

Theres really no reasons to wait before getting it unless you are a masochist, it runs o ultra setting on my 4 year old pc.
Off course theres a few bugs, one prevented me to start plots(activating hellios 1 before restoring the hope quest), but i prefer way more that game to any recent polished turd like arcania.You will say its obsidian its bound to be bugged, but its also have a damn better story and more complex quests.

Really it has been so far a very addictive experience ,as entertaining as the fallouts were in their days.
Undoubtly the rpg of the year , best rpg since 5 years at least.

Looking better. You are not normally part of the usual fellating crowd. Now for a few others...and your longer term impressions.

I wouldn't call someone that waits until the afterglow subsides before taking action over impressions 'masochistic' though.

Vault Dweller said:
Blackadder said:
Vault Dweller said:
Blackadder said:
Freelance Henchman said:

I'm detecting a butthurt there.

First, Fallout 3 was good for what it was - a sandbox action RPG. I don't think that my review claimed that it was anything more than that. Second, unless I'm mistaken there are a lot of people who are very enthusiastic about NV, calling it amazing, great, very good, fantastic, etc, but hey, keeping holding your ears going "la la la I can't hear you". Lemme know how that's gonna work out for you.

Correction; a lot of the usual types that have said Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 3 (and I daresay, Oblivion) are good games are claiming this is amazing. A lot of reviews said that Oblivion is the best CRPG ever. I should really listen to them because, hey, that is the majority after all....right?

Yes, I am aware you think Fallout 3 is a good 'whatever' CRPG. That's nice dear. Exactly why I tend to read between the lines about things you say, and chuckle when you start producing your usual one liners. Needless to say, I disagree with you. Watching someone playing the game (Fallout 3), and then seeing the combat engine was more than enough for me to pretend the thing didn't exist. And then you rock up, declaring how wonderful NV is, after saying 'Fallout, to me, is running around in a setting, doing quests, reading fancy words, regardless of the game mechanics'. Well, that isn't what floats my boat. It is nice, but it isn't the central part of why I enjoy CRPG's.

Just get back and finish the real CRPG so I can play it, or are you planning on another 'graphical update'?. At the moment, you sound like a defender of the faith, as anyone would when they turn around and advocate not waiting for people you trust and their opinions, but instead listen to people that like entirely different CRPG's to what I do. That would really be a smart move.

Edit: Something else strikes me as pathetic; Why are you, on one hand, advocating the notion that everyone should love this game (because lots of people said so...a day or so after it's release mind you. Where have we seen that before?) and go buy it, otherwise they are ignorant buffoons, and on the other hand, planning on writing a review for it in a few weeks time? Of what use will your review be? To whom? Ignorant morons who didn't listen to you a day after the games release?

Silellak

Cipher
Blackadder said:
Correction; a lot of the usual types that have said Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 3 (and I daresay, Oblivion) are good games are claiming this is amazing.
It's interesting that you group all those games together, when I'm pretty sure if you asked 10 different people in this thread who like NV their opinion of each of those games, you'd get 10 different answers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom