Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
At a thread he linked here to his impressions at the ITS forums.
I imagine you mean this thread:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1546.0.html

In which, after a couple of weeks of playing, we get the opinion of:
Good: characters, writing, dialogues, choices (and hopefully consequences).
Bad: the rest. Ok, maybe the rest isn't bad but just uninspiring and mediocre, but who the fuck cares?

The biggest problem is that "good" takes about 10% of the gameplay, so most of the time you're just playing a mediocre game that I would never ever play for more than 10 minutes, if not for the good parts.
Yeah, sounds like he thought the game and the shooting were pretty fucking awesome.

Anyway, I don't particularly want this thread to devolve into "what VD did/didn't say", I just never cease to be amused by your ridiculous exaggerations.

It does, however, prove the point that - if you're skeptical - it's worth waiting to see what people think after a few weeks, since VD's opinion of AP fluctuates pretty substantially during the first few pages of the thread.

chzr

Erudite
1eyedking said:
Enjoyed =/= Good

Codex 2010 cannot into proper argumentation.

i didn't say f3 is good. i didn't say FNV is good/bad/shit/GOTY or anything else.

I'm not the one hyping the game here, so far i only said that combat is still shit and then story, writing and exploration is *better* then F3 and i assumed that since i'm on codex, you will understand that i meant it was shit in F3, if not - here's a statement just for you: F3 story, writing and setting is horrible. ALSO, other factors are horrible, too, but these three are *better* in FNV.

Drakron

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Now tell me..what mechanics and gameplay of Fallout 3 do you rate highly? What have they done especially well that really shines? Forget the plot, etc etc, just tell me strictly about what is so good about the Engine and game mechanics.

Skill checks, stats influencing skills and actual dialog choices that also made skill checks.

Engine is acceptable, it could be worst (like NWN engines and what the hell Dragon Age uses) and it could be better.

Let me put this way, its been a long time we can see a game that looks at more that the "persuasion" skill when giving dialog options and that is what Fallout 3 did, it also allowed doing some quests in different ways with different outcomes (Replicated Man).

Also it did not handhold you that much, there were doors and terminals we could find we could not open/hack due to low skill even if we were a dedicated on those skills and had to return later to do it, we cannot do everything we want whenever we want.

Framework was there, its was simply the generosity of some elements that drag down the system to create "jack-and-master-of-all-trades" characters as it given perks every level with many of those giving generous bonus to skills and a abundance of skill raising books.

roll-a-die

Magister
Holy shit, heart went flutter for a second, went to Jacob's Town for the first time, met the founder, turns out, he's an old friend, well in spirit if not in body.

Marcus is still AWESOME! Even if he doesn't know me any more

Topher

Cipher
New Vegas is simple. I got a rifle put a night scope and silencer on it and went about my way shooting random critters in the face. That's what New Vegas has to offer, nothing more nothing less. If you had fun ignoring all the characters and quests in Fallout 3 then you'll find even more fun in New Vegas but if Fallout 3 bored you to tears then New Vegas isn't going to be worth your time. I didn't like Dragon Age or Oblivion, I didn't even bother to torrent Alpha Protocol but I liked Mass Effect.

New Vegas hasn't improved the shooting enough to compete with games like Stalker and it hasn't improved the RPG elements enough to compete with anything but it has a bit of both and it's fun to explore the wastelands.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The world, factions, npc's and quest design seem to keep up quite well as I'm going further into the game. Lots of fun nooks and crannies to explore, plenty of opportunities for backstabbing and even some *gasp* consequences to my choices. Me likey this much.

Still, Blackadder has a good point. These are only initial impressions. Wouldn't be the first game that turns to shit after a promising start. Still, I had my fun so far and honestly, who turns to the codex for gaming advice? Most of the kids here bitching about graphics and gameplay have obviously never even played classic stuff like Wasteland. ;)

Topher

Cipher
Trash said:
The world, factions, npc's and quest design seem to keep up quite well as I'm going further into the game. Lots of fun nooks and crannies to explore, plenty of opportunities for backstabbing and even some *gasp* consequences to my choices. Me likey this much.

Still, Blackadder has a good point. These are only initial impressions. Wouldn't be the first game that turns to shit after a promising start. Still, I had my fun so far and honestly, who turns to the codex for gaming advice? Most of the kids here bitching about graphics and gameplay have obviously never even played classic stuff like Wasteland. ;)

I got stuck in wasteland. I went to some bar and got up on stage but then couldn't get down no matter what I pressed. I need to get the little booklet that comes with it before I play it again.

roll-a-die

Magister
A note to those who care, In the Thorn, do not use the custom fights, at least from what I've seen, don't have a deathclaw fight 2 of the giant bee butterfly things, I had to console kill the 2 bee butterfly things.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
1eyedking said:
F3:NV didn't fix F3. It's still got shit art direction (shit visual design, shit voice acting, shit music, etc.), shit sounds, shit graphics (and shit shadows and animations), shit interface, shit inventory, shit combat.

So far from what I've played they only managed to make the game world at least somewhat interesting, and some mechanics and skills more balanced, but that stuff is buried so fucking deep beneath the extremely vomitive F3 shell that it may not be worth the pain.

But keep on hyping Codex, I forgot we no longer evaluate games as a whole now, because so far from what I've read in this thread it's the same as if I were to say "Hey Halo is a great FPS once you get over the nonexistent art direction, stupid gameplay, fucked up controls and take a look at how pretty the guns shoot!"...

Ok then oneeyed, would you mind giving us an example of a first/third person 3D game that has good art direction, graphics, sound, interface and combat so we have something to go on regarding your personal taste? Because I'm betting you don't believe such a game even exists...

Derper

Prophet
AlaCarcuss said:
1eyedking said:
F3:NV didn't fix F3. It's still got shit art direction (shit visual design, shit voice acting, shit music, etc.), shit sounds, shit graphics (and shit shadows and animations), shit interface, shit inventory, shit combat.

So far from what I've played they only managed to make the game world at least somewhat interesting, and some mechanics and skills more balanced, but that stuff is buried so fucking deep beneath the extremely vomitive F3 shell that it may not be worth the pain.

But keep on hyping Codex, I forgot we no longer evaluate games as a whole now, because so far from what I've read in this thread it's the same as if I were to say "Hey Halo is a great FPS once you get over the nonexistent art direction, stupid gameplay, fucked up controls and take a look at how pretty the guns shoot!"...

Ok then oneeyed, would you mind giving us an example of a first/third person 3D game that has good art direction, graphics, sound, interface and combat so we have something to go on regarding your personal taste? Because I'm betting you don't believe such a game even exists...
Quake

roll-a-die

Magister
Derper said:
AlaCarcuss said:
1eyedking said:

Quake
Duke Nukem 3d.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Blackadder said:
Mortmal said:
Short impressions its truly an amazing game, probably as good as fallout 1-2 . Now of course you have to stomach the vat combat system, it has been tweaked but its still there and off course the clunky UI .

The majority of quests dont even requires much fighting 3/4 of the quests dont requires it,and can be solved by talking, bribing, or using some skills, you are even allowed to be a complete bastard this time, finally real evil.
Theres many interwined plots, the quest design is superb , the area design, well what to say.. everything bare the core 3D engine is way way ahead of fallout 3. One simple example , in fallout 3 you find an annoying kid village, in new vegas they hunt rats in ruins with a knife and are exploited by some street trader.

Theres really no reasons to wait before getting it unless you are a masochist, it runs o ultra setting on my 4 year old pc.
Off course theres a few bugs, one prevented me to start plots(activating hellios 1 before restoring the hope quest), but i prefer way more that game to any recent polished turd like arcania.You will say its obsidian its bound to be bugged, but its also have a damn better story and more complex quests.

Really it has been so far a very addictive experience ,as entertaining as the fallouts were in their days.
Undoubtly the rpg of the year , best rpg since 5 years at least.

Looking better. You are not normally part of the usual fellating crowd. Now for a few others...and your longer term impressions.

I wouldn't call someone that waits until the afterglow subsides before taking action over impressions 'masochistic' though.
fn5jb6.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Trash said:

Fuck you he has a point. What he's basically saying is: "Can't use these initial comments for shit [which is true], I won't try the game before someone else makes comments [wait, wat :retarded:]."

Just "demo" the fucking game already, instead of putting your faith in someone else's opinion. I thought that was what you accused the so-called "sheeple" for, when they blindly follow GameSpot and their opinions.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Grunker said:
Trash said:

Fuck you he has a point. What he's basically saying is: "Can't use these initial comments for shit [which is true], I won't try the game before someone else makes comments [wait, wat :retarded:]."

Just "demo" the fucking game already, instead of putting your faith in someone else's opinion. I thought that was what you accused the so-called "sheeple" for, when they blindly follow GameSpot and their opinions.
Huh? Blackadder's point is: Wait till somebody you trust gives impressions and wait till the initial rush has passed and see what people say then.
And the past has supported this attitude again and again.
As for "demoing": Is there even a demo? And if there is, how does it help determining whether the game goes to shit later on? Not everybody is willing to illegally torrent, and I see no reason to bash anybody for that.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Meh, unless you have bandwidth issues, I don't see any moral qualms with torrenting a game to try it out if there's no demo available. It's my usual strategy these days, I usually delete it and buy the game after an hour or so if I enjoy it.

Good to see that everyone has agreed with me.

On a serious note, even if I thought this game was a winner, I would need to download a pirate version anyway as I refuse to use any back-to-base systems for my games, and would want a nice CD copy I can still use after the company in question has died (they all die eventually. Except EA so far. Oh, and SSG that make wargames. There must be other developers that are still around from the 80's....), so that would be another thing I would need to learn with all the ISO business, and working out how to use Alcohol, or Demon tools, or whatever it is called.

To date, I have not pirated a game since my Amiga days. To date. I don't want to. At all. I am not preaching here to anyone else (even though I find it a low act for people to do if they genuinely enjoy a game) but if anything really comes out that I like, and it needs the whole online setup business, even more so if it needs constant overview by Big Papa, then I will need to learn. That rubbish is not being bought by me, or put on my PC unless I have a proper hardcopy I can always turn to.

That is one area where I am sure there are many a master on the Codex :smug:

Shannow

Waster of Time
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Meh, unless you have bandwidth issues, I don't see any moral qualms with torrenting a game to try it out if there's no demo available. It's my usual strategy these days, I usually delete it and buy the game after an hour or so if I enjoy it.
gothfox said:
Bu-bu-bu onoz illegal!
And?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Shannow, I'm not telling him to be filthy pirate (tm), I'm telling him to pirate it, find out if he likes it, and then decide whether to buy it or not.

That's what I do, and I find it extremely hard to find anything morally wrong about that.

RatFink

Educated
there is absolutely nothing morally wrong about it!
there are several good reasons to do so, if these fuckers dont come up with a demo!

my laptop has overheating issues with newer games (sudden shut downs and the like..plus it is not very good for the hardware to function as gates to the scorching fires of hell)
so i "demoed" it..it works perfectly fine (no glitches or bugs or anything so far..just one freeze after about 3 hours but i wanted to quit anyway)
this will result in me buying it!

Mortmal

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Mortmal said:
Short impressions its truly an amazing game, probably as good as fallout 1-2 . Now of course you have to stomach the vat combat system, it has been tweaked but its still there and off course the clunky UI .

The majority of quests dont even requires much fighting 3/4 of the quests dont requires it,and can be solved by talking, bribing, or using some skills, you are even allowed to be a complete bastard this time, finally real evil.
Theres many interwined plots, the quest design is superb , the area design, well what to say.. everything bare the core 3D engine is way way ahead of fallout 3. One simple example , in fallout 3 you find an annoying kid village, in new vegas they hunt rats in ruins with a knife and are exploited by some street trader.

Theres really no reasons to wait before getting it unless you are a masochist, it runs o ultra setting on my 4 year old pc.
Off course theres a few bugs, one prevented me to start plots(activating hellios 1 before restoring the hope quest), but i prefer way more that game to any recent polished turd like arcania.You will say its obsidian its bound to be bugged, but its also have a damn better story and more complex quests.

Really it has been so far a very addictive experience ,as entertaining as the fallouts were in their days.
Undoubtly the rpg of the year , best rpg since 5 years at least.
IVE ONLY PLAYED IT FOR LIEK 6 HOURS BUT OMG ITS THE BEST RPG SINCE ARCANUM

Welcome to CodexSpot.

6 hours ah no , i was at 19 hours 52min and 8 sec , when i wrote my quick review, no i am not sucking obsidian cock, i dont know any of them none of them are my friends.
I could develop on why quests and factions are so good but i wont spoil it, it wouldnt be nice , its really better to get the surprise yourself.
What do you have to risk anyway ? its like 50$ for you, or try the superior "corporate" version before , its not like you are signing a mortgage.The only reason to not get it is if you absolutely loathe the vat system, you probably already tried fallout 3 so you know .

Best rpg since arcanum, probably yes, i fear we wont have anything better before a very long time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom