Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Joghurt said:
I think I've encountered a bug - a big one. I'm on Level 16 and vendors won't update their inventory. Even the Gun Runners are selling the same crap they were selling when I got to them around LvL. I don't care about new weapons and shit, but I am running out of places where to buy 5.56mm ammo. Is it a bug or what? Aren't vendors supposed to refresh their inventory? At least have additional ammo added their inventory every week like in Fallout 3? I am pretty sure It's a bug and It's annoying as hell because not only I don't know where to buy more ammo, but I can't sell loot because vendors don't have any caps left too...

Wasteland didn't have unlimited ammo. What do people need these days? I don't know....

Shannow said:
Blackadder said:
Lockkaliber said:
Um guys, this is my first time using steam, and it's pretty fucked up. I just got my New Vegas copy (the DVD) and it won't let me install from the dvd. Steam insists on downloading the game even though I have the dvd in the drive. Is that how it's supposed to be? If so, that's fucking bullshit.

edit: nevermind, I got it to pause the download, then had to delete all NV files from steam, and then it accepted the dvd instead. Fucking weird that it would automatically start downloading it instead of installing from the dvd.

Hence why I dislike being treated like a tool for buying games, whilst pirates just play. How long did it take for this game to be 'released' without the copy protection?

Also, looks like this game doesn't need big specs.
Around 3 days ago. Took me from yesterday morning to evening to download. No Steam, no crap. Even the first patch worked without needing a new crack...

FO3 already ran quite well. Fastest loading times I ever had with a current game. Somehow Obsidian managed to increase those, but what the hell...still runs well on non-top-notch-systems (as long as you don't happen to have a setup it dislikes).

3 days ago...what is the use of copy protection? Hilarious.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Blackadder said:
...what is the use of copy protection?

Its a dwellvoper only line of defence agaisnt the hordes of filthy THIEVES whomse download they're gaems and get infected with all sorts of MALWARE in the process.

I, for one, have gotten nothing to hide from ne1 and suport the hard working people that maek games for us and provide us FREE patches even tough they have no obligations to do so.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Ran into another legion-related hostage situation: I'm stealth sniping the legionnaires(hidden before and after the shot) and my reputation with them isn't changing(it does if they spot me shooting). I'm hoping that if nobody sees you kill a member of a certain faction your status towards that faction won't change(and that it's not just a matter of the game not reporting every reputation-changing kill), handy if you want to play all the angles.

Can anyone confirm this? Would be major :incline:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ What Punchz said.

Needz moar help wit stoopid quest.

Supposed to deliver the body of Ranger Morales to a military outpost. No such thing north of the railroad tracks. Also, it seems pretty damned stupid they expect me to snail-speed across the map with his body in tow.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Re: wtf,

FruitOfFallout said:
Has anyone seen a critter as unique as this 3d model?
golgothan1.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
FeelTheRads said:
Apparently it stopped it from leaking before release...
Not the Xbox version it didn't :smug:

But of course pre-release piracy, like any other piracy, exists only on PC.

1eyedking

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Part 2
Some gameplay quotes:
"Excellent sneaking mission"
"Taking down all guards is difficult but satisfying"
"Checkpoint system is annoying but adds an awesome thrill and makes C&C even more awesome"

Part 3
Some RPG-aspect quotes:
"A much better character system than I thought" (read my 'guide', FFS, this is plain retarded)
"Loot system sucks" (ZOMG he's not that retarded)
"Superb characters and writing, excellent voice-acting" (Oh wai-)
"C&C is simply fucking awesome" (And now he's gone full derp)

Then...
I know you can be pretty particular about what an RPG is, but I'd argue that Alpha Protocol is probably the best one to come out for a while ...
Quite possibly.
But a week later you flip-flopped:

Nope. Don't have a lot of free time. Currently I'm doing the hotel mission in Taipei.

Overall impressions to-date: like all the different options and choices a lot, really want to replay the game, try different things, and see what happens, but playing the game is so painful sometimes. I'm definitely not the target audience.

Good: characters, writing, dialogues, choices (and hopefully consequences).
Bad: the rest. Ok, maybe the rest isn't bad but just uninspiring and mediocre, but who the fuck cares?

The biggest problem is that "good" takes about 10% of the gameplay, so most of the time you're just playing a mediocre game that I would never ever play for more than 10 minutes, if not for the good parts.
:retarded:
You sir, suck at reviews. Please go back to your 2006 self.

Bonus:
At least Dragon Age had a decent character system, great combat options, and a good inventory system.
You're a joke.
:lol:

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking's paraphrasing of VD said:
"Checkpoint system is annoying but adds an awesome thrill and makes C&C even more awesome"

What VD actually said said:
The checkpoint system is annoying as fuck but it does add to the thrill because if you make a mistake and have to reload, you have to go back. In games where you can save easily, sneaking past an enemy isn't that challenging. Reload a few times until you get a lucky roll and you're done. The checkpoint system doesn't encourage you to take risks, but AP often does.

The checkpoint system strikes again, overriding the previous save, thus forcing me to replay the mission if I want to see a different outcome. Hmm... I'm beginning to think that checkpoints are an excellent tool to force the player to keep on playing and live with a less than ideal scenario.
You're a joke.
:lol:

Also, since when is changing your initial impressions of a game after playing it for a week "flip-flopping"? It's not like he gave the game a final numerical score and then a year or two later decided he hated it - that's skyway's job. He had a good first impression but it later fell apart as the game began to suck more and more. That's pretty common with AP - and it helps prove Blackadder's point, but not so much yours.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
Vault Dweller said:
Part 2
Some gameplay quotes:
"Excellent sneaking mission"
"Taking down all guards is difficult but satisfying"
Oh shit! Did I really say that? I unwisely suggested that the game had a decent sneaking mission (singular)? Oh my...

And that taking down all guards is hard but satisfying? I knew I should have stayed with the "banal shit boring" formula.

Btw, it's nice to make shit up and pass it for an exact quote. I said:

"The checkpoint system is annoying as fuck but it does add to the thrill because if you make a mistake and have to reload, you have to go back. In games where you can save easily, sneaking past an enemy isn't that challenging. Reload a few times until you get a lucky roll and you're done. The checkpoint system doesn't encourage you to take risks, but AP often does."

Which is true.

"A much better character system than I thought" (read my 'guide', FFS, this is plain retarded)
"Loot system sucks" (ZOMG he's not that retarded)
"Superb characters and writing, excellent voice-acting" (Oh wai-)
"C&C is simply fucking awesome" (And now he's gone full derp)
The character system IS better than I originally thought.
The loot system does suck. The characters and the writing are good. As for the last quote, I said "The choices, aka the role-playing - superb." The choices are indeed well done in the game and you can really craft your own story. However... (see below).

I know you can be pretty particular about what an RPG is, but I'd argue that Alpha Protocol is probably the best one to come out for a while ...
Quite possibly.
But a week later you flip-flopped:

Nope. Don't have a lot of free time. Currently I'm doing the hotel mission in Taipei.

Overall impressions to-date: like all the different options and choices a lot, really want to replay the game, try different things, and see what happens, but playing the game is so painful sometimes. I'm definitely not the target audience.

Good: characters, writing, dialogues, choices (and hopefully consequences).
Bad: the rest. Ok, maybe the rest isn't bad but just uninspiring and mediocre, but who the fuck cares?

The biggest problem is that "good" takes about 10% of the gameplay, so most of the time you're just playing a mediocre game that I would never ever play for more than 10 minutes, if not for the good parts.
First, do you not understand the meaning of "quite possibly" and the difference from "yes, absolutely! best gaem evar!"?

Second, in case you didn't notice, my opinion of the game hadn't really changed and everything I've said about the game earlier fits my conclusion:

"What makes the game so bad is how good some parts of it are and how poorly they are developed/integrated. Take the characters, for example. They are good and well written, for the most part, which is one of Obsidian's strengths. Yet we're kept away from them. Instead of exploring their personalities and philosophies, being challenged or tricked to see and accept their points of view as reasonable, we get brief, timed conversations between lengthy sneaking/fighting sequences.

I can't say that the characters are underdeveloped, but they are under-presented in the game, which becomes even more evident when we have to take sides or make decisions.

Same goes for the consequences. They are well done and the story is flexible enough to support a large variety of choices, but it's like there are two games: generic shooter/sneaker layer on top of a fairly complex and well done choices & consequences narrative system. The problem is that they exist independently from each other. It's like you're playing two different games"

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volrath said:
Can anyone confirm this? Would be major :incline:

It might just be the retarded AI. I sneaked into a legion camp disguised as one of them and gunned 3 of them down without anyone going hostile. Maybe they thought it was friendly fire. :smug:

Oh well, not as bad as setting up c4s next to all the guards without anyone reacting in an energy weapon store and blasting them all to hell.

Project: Eternity
So I got this earlier today and enjoying it a lot so far. Only one weird lock-up, otherwise game runs fine.

Story is OK, and I had some interesting encounters. The atmosphere is good.

The shooting/fighting, while obviously not totally different to Fallout 3, still feels better somehow ("Iron sights" make things feel a bit more precise).

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grunker said:
Needz moar help wit stoopid quest.

Supposed to deliver the body of Ranger Morales to a military outpost. No such thing north of the railroad tracks. Also, it seems pretty damned stupid they expect me to snail-speed across the map with his body in tow.

You don't have to drag it far, there's a little sandbag area with 2-3 NCR guys you take it to, and one of the guys initiates dialogue as says you have Balls of Steel and you get credit for retrieving the body.

It's a bit screwy if you use fast travel to get there, I showed up and got jumped by the freaks and blown up by some mines then the guy who later takes the body comes running up and warns me about the mines and the freaks :/

roll-a-die

Magister
1. Gain Anti-Materiel Rifle
2. Break the game, killing most things in less than 2 shots, anything else within a clip
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

God damn, I hope they nerf that, seriously, I can kill any critter in one hit, bar deathclaws and the butterbee things. The butterbee things go down in 3 hits, and the death claws go down in something like 8. Raiders go down in 1 hit, fiend officers in 3, or if I sneak attack them 1. Motherfucking broken, though it should have been obvious from the fact that it deals ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DAMAGE PER HIT, more than a point blank retard takes standing directly on top of a nade or mine. The only down side is it's relatively low rate of fire. About one every 2 seconds is able to be fired, still when you kill most things in one hit, you don't really have to worry about that. Also, the ammo types are incendiary, which is another level of broken, and armor piercing.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
roll-a-die said:
1. Gain Anti-Materiel Rifle
2. Break the game, killing most things in less than 2 shots, anything else within a clip
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

God damn, I hope they nerf that, seriously, I can kill any critter in one hit, bar deathclaws and the butterbee things. The butterbee things go down in 3 hits, and the death claws go down in something like 8. Raiders go down in 1 hit, fiend officers in 3, or if I sneak attack them 1. Motherfucking broken, though it should have been obvious from the fact that it deals ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DAMAGE PER HIT, more than a point blank retard takes standing directly on top of a nade or mine. The only down side is it's relatively low rate of fire. About one every 2 seconds is able to be fired, still when you kill most things in one hit, you don't really have to worry about that. Also, the ammo types are incendiary, which is another level of broken, and armor piercing.

Err, just don't use it?
Honestly, people finding uber weapon, then going through the whole game using said weapon complaining how it's too easy is a bit er...um.....

It's like a person doing a speedrun and then whining that the game is too short.... :rage:

Mortmal

Arcane
Blackadder said:
What are the computer specs that people are playing this on?
Still using a core duo E6600 2giga ram windows xp and a radeon 4850(slighlty overclocked model) . It runs flawlessly at ultra settings i dont have the lag spikes he mention in his review. If you can run oblivion and fallout 3 you can run this, its not more demanding. I remember you posted your old pc specs here it s probably enough to run it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom