Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mortmal said:
Best rpg since arcanum, probably yes, i fear we wont have anything better before a very long time.

Until at least after Obsidian finishes with DS3. :smug:

Mortmal

Arcane
commie said:
Mortmal said:
Best rpg since arcanum, probably yes, i fear we wont have anything better before a very long time.

thats evil :/
well maybe they will be making something good from the wheel of time after that.
Anyway going back to finish it, cya.

Silellak

Cipher
Mortmal said:
1eyedking said:
Mortmal said:
Short impressions its truly an amazing game, probably as good as fallout 1-2 . Now of course you have to stomach the vat combat system, it has been tweaked but its still there and off course the clunky UI .

The majority of quests dont even requires much fighting 3/4 of the quests dont requires it,and can be solved by talking, bribing, or using some skills, you are even allowed to be a complete bastard this time, finally real evil.
Theres many interwined plots, the quest design is superb , the area design, well what to say.. everything bare the core 3D engine is way way ahead of fallout 3. One simple example , in fallout 3 you find an annoying kid village, in new vegas they hunt rats in ruins with a knife and are exploited by some street trader.

Theres really no reasons to wait before getting it unless you are a masochist, it runs o ultra setting on my 4 year old pc.
Off course theres a few bugs, one prevented me to start plots(activating hellios 1 before restoring the hope quest), but i prefer way more that game to any recent polished turd like arcania.You will say its obsidian its bound to be bugged, but its also have a damn better story and more complex quests.

Really it has been so far a very addictive experience ,as entertaining as the fallouts were in their days.
Undoubtly the rpg of the year , best rpg since 5 years at least.
IVE ONLY PLAYED IT FOR LIEK 6 HOURS BUT OMG ITS THE BEST RPG SINCE ARCANUM

Welcome to CodexSpot.

6 hours ah no , i was at 19 hours 52min and 8 sec
Shh, dude, keep it down. If there's one thing 1eyedking doesn't like, it's facts.

Thanks for the impressions, bro.
:bro:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Mortmal said:
commie said:
Mortmal said:

thats evil :/
well maybe they will be making something good from the wheel of time after that.
Anyway going back to finish it, cya.

Good to see someone liking a damn new game without needing to justify or qualify anything. Have fun!
:thumbsup:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
RatFink said:
there is absolutely nothing morally wrong about it!
there are several good reasons to do so, if these fuckers dont come up with a demo!

my laptop has overheating issues with newer games (sudden shut downs and the like..plus it is not very good for the hardware to function as gates to the scorching fires of hell)
so i "demoed" it..it works perfectly fine (no glitches or bugs or anything so far..just one freeze after about 3 hours but i wanted to quit anyway)
this will result in me buying it!

Hmm.. what's your laptop configuration?

On mine it was pretty slow (couldn't really fight without VATS) and the interface was the slowest when moving the cursor in the Pipboy, VATS etc.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Grunker said:
Shannow, I'm not telling him to be filthy pirate (tm), I'm telling him to pirate it, find out if he likes it, and then decide whether to buy it or not.

That's what I do, and I find it extremely hard to find anything morally wrong about that.
Three problems:
1. I assume you use p2p and have a share ratio over 0. Which means you make the game, to which you have no rights, available to people who probably do not share your otherwise moral attitude.
2. Do you buy every game you downloaded and finished at the price it was at when you downloaded? It's hard to draw a line between "demoing" and "pirating".
3. If there's no demo, there's no demo. The moral thing to do if you're not sure if it'll run on your system or whether it'll be worth it, is not to buy and not to download it. We're talking about the moral thing to do, not the most sensible or the easiest thing to do.

It's truly flabbergasting how entitled some people feel to stuff they have absolutely no entitlement to (not specifically directed at you, Grunker).

And in the end the question is whether you have any cause or reason to try to convince somebody who doesn't share your moral beliefs to start pirating. Also, I have a friend who doesn't pirate because he was recently fined a quite hefty sum for supposedly pirating a movie. For some reason he doesn't feel like pirating at the moment and so is more dependent on other people's opinions to decide purchases ;)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Blackadder said:
What are the computer specs that people are playing this on?
c2d 6600, GTS 8800, 2 gigs of ram. Runs fine at maxed settings. Some stuttering once in a while. No crashes so far, but I haven't been playing for long stretches of time.

1eyedking

Erudite
AlaCarcuss said:
Ok then oneeyed, would you mind giving us an example of a first/third person 3D game that has good art direction, graphics, sound, interface and combat so we have something to go on regarding your personal taste? Because I'm betting you don't believe such a game even exists...
Doom. Thief.

Trash said:
1eyedking is a lame trolling wanker. I don't understand why people still take anything he says seriously.
Nowadays this, coming from here, is a compliment.

Thank you, good sir.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Blackadder said:
What are the computer specs that people are playing this on?

1600 x 1200, All options maxed out on a:

2.13 ghz Core2Duo 6400
2 gb RAM
ATI 4770 512 mb card.

Smooth as silk mostly, the odd stutter here and there as new areas are loaded into memory. No crashes after 12 hours. Oh I had one when I was constantly ALT-TABING but that hardly counts.

JrK

Prophet
1680x1050 ULTRA settings, with anti-aliasing turned off, shadows on medium, multisampling water/other multisampling option off, no HDR nor depth of field.
AMD athlon II X4 940
2gb RAM
ATI 4850 1gb card

My FPS range from 40-60 but they mostly stick to lower 50s. Stutter is just the engine and how it loads in objects, otherwise I get no dips. Lower 40s is when there's a lot going on. I turned the options above down from ULTRA because 1. I don't like HDR and AA 2. was trying to get the FPS to stick to 60 but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

One thing that does bother me, like with OB and many other 'modern' games is the low resolution textures on nearly everything (except some rocks). I hope there will be a mod to fix that.

I haven't had any crashes or bugs so far.

bonescraper

1680x1050
Everything on ultra
AAx8 AFx15
HDR and all that shit

Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3,06 GHZ
GTX 460 1GB
4GB Ram

Runs like a charm.

chzr

Erudite
2,8gb 2c (athlon 7750)
2gb ram
hd 3200

15-40 fps, 800x600, low. no other tweaks in .inis yet

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
The guy's worse than VD, that's what I'm saying.

You know, the guy who said AP fucking rocked and was so fucking awesome and full of totally deep C&C and fucking ruled as an action game.

Only to say he dislikes it now :/
Reading comprehension failure?

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 546.0.html

Day 1 impressions:

"I got the game yesterday and played it for a bit. I can certainly see why there are so many negative impressions and reviews. The beginning of the game is fucking bad...

When you read the words "spy RPG", different things come to mind. While I don't think that anyone expected a game where combat plays a minor role, when you start a "spy RPG" and within minutes you're playing a shooter with some sneaking and minor role-playing elements... well, it's hard to expect a positive reaction. In fact, the beginning kinda reminds you how awesome Far Cry was.

The character system - same old Mass Effect crap. Not sure why Obsidian went that way. Is there some consensus among the mainstream developers that it was a good system?

The next disappointment comes when my first enemy goes down. He's - gasp - unlootable! The fucker lies there, taunting me with a gun I can't pick up. I fucking hate this "feature". RPGs aren't complex. Sure, it's nice to have multiple quest solutions, pseudo-philosophy, enough dialogues to make Leo Tolstoy jealous, complex quests, etc, but when we come to the bare basics, here is a long list of activities people WANT TO HAVE in RPGs:

- playing with a character system
- killing enemies and taking their shit
- becoming more powerful

AP - so far - just doesn't do well in these areas. The first two are already explained. As for the third one - you don't feel like you're becoming more powerful because you always kick ass. At least I'm kicking ass at the moment. Mina tells me that there are elite guards in my current mission and suggests to take them out. Elite guards? Let's take the shotgun for a test drive. Skill - 0. Several blasts and the elites are dead. My health gets a minor dent, but there is a healing cabinet on the wall, so..."

Conclusions, a week later:

"What makes the game so bad is how good some parts of it are and how poorly they are developed/integrated. Take the characters, for example. They are good and well written, for the most part, which is one of Obsidian's strengths. Yet we're kept away from them. Instead of exploring their personalities and philosophies, being challenged or tricked to see and accept their points of view as reasonable, we get brief, timed conversations between lengthy sneaking/fighting sequences.

I can't say that the characters are underdeveloped, but they are under-presented in the game, which becomes even more evident when we have to take sides or make decisions.

Same goes for the consequences. They are well done and the story is flexible enough to support a large variety of choices, but it's like there are two games: generic shooter/sneaker layer on top of a fairly complex and well done choices & consequences narrative system. The problem is that they exist independently from each other. It's like you're playing two different games. Oh well..."

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Um guys, this is my first time using steam, and it's pretty fucked up. I just got my New Vegas copy (the DVD) and it won't let me install from the dvd. Steam insists on downloading the game even though I have the dvd in the drive. Is that how it's supposed to be? If so, that's fucking bullshit.

edit: nevermind, I got it to pause the download, then had to delete all NV files from steam, and then it accepted the dvd instead. Fucking weird that it would automatically start downloading it instead of installing from the dvd.

Lockkaliber said:
Um guys, this is my first time using steam, and it's pretty fucked up. I just got my New Vegas copy (the DVD) and it won't let me install from the dvd. Steam insists on downloading the game even though I have the dvd in the drive. Is that how it's supposed to be? If so, that's fucking bullshit.

edit: nevermind, I got it to pause the download, then had to delete all NV files from steam, and then it accepted the dvd instead. Fucking weird that it would automatically start downloading it instead of installing from the dvd.

Hence why I dislike being treated like a tool for buying games, whilst pirates just play. How long did it take for this game to be 'released' without the copy protection?

Also, looks like this game doesn't need big specs.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
ScreenShot0-1.jpg

lol what

Shannow

Waster of Time
Blackadder said:
Lockkaliber said:

Hence why I dislike being treated like a tool for buying games, whilst pirates just play. How long did it take for this game to be 'released' without the copy protection?

Also, looks like this game doesn't need big specs.
Around 3 days ago. Took me from yesterday morning to evening to download. No Steam, no crap. Even the first patch worked without needing a new crack...

FO3 already ran quite well. Fastest loading times I ever had with a current game. Somehow Obsidian managed to increase those, but what the hell...still runs well on non-top-notch-systems (as long as you don't happen to have a setup it dislikes).

Shannow

Waster of Time
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Jesus Christ. Did they, like, take Fallout 3's already bad textures and cut them to a third of the size?
Dunno, don't remember FO3 (or any other 3D game) looking much better. And people always wonder why I think 3D sucks... :smug:

Joghurt

Augur
I think I've encountered a bug - a big one. I'm on Level 16 and vendors won't update their inventory. Even the Gun Runners are selling the same crap they were selling when I got to them around lvl 8. I don't care about new weapons and shit, but I am running out of places where to buy 5.56mm ammo. Is it a bug or what? Aren't vendors supposed to refresh their inventory? At least have additional ammo added their inventory every week like in Fallout 3? I am pretty sure It's a bug and It's annoying as hell because not only I don't know where to buy more ammo, but I can't sell loot because vendors don't have any caps left too...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom