Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Bros, I'm not stupid. I tried waiting for various amounts of hours and checked both the saloon and the house during various times of the day and no, nobody appeared.

No, fuck you. Trudy wasn't in saloon cause it was probably very late, so she went home.

1 You was so reterded you didin't even think about that

2 Even fucking "magic" compass wasn't enough to help you

3 I'm waiting for your F:NV review, full of retarded complains. Codex trolls like skyway will be in heaven

4 Play the game before judging it, this place is full of retards watching only gameplay videos

I'm sorry, I don't understand. I don't speak Al-Derpiyya.

Rogue

Educated
So after... about 2 weeks, during which i spent 28 hours on the game, I completed it on hard/hardcore. After about 20 hours I couldn't be bothered anymore and just tried to complete it as fast as possible.
The hardcore mode makes this game more playable, but the charm wears off after about 10 hours. Also, the game is still too easy. After having a huge supply of everything and more cash than I could possibly be bothered to spend, not to mention that because of all the perks and stuff you become indestructible ... it felt like playing a crappy shooter with the dumbest AI on the planet. Again.

So to me on a scale 1-10 (where 1-5 = fail) Fallout3 represents a 3 and Vegas a 4. If it didn't have millions of bugs I'd maybe consider giving it a 5. Anyway, good riddance, time to never think of it again.

Project: Eternity
Darth Roxor said:
Bros, I'm not stupid. I tried waiting for various amounts of hours and checked both the saloon and the house during various times of the day and no, nobody appeared.

As I said, if you have this quest active then the local map (not the world map) should show you the exact spot where she is standing right now. If you go to that spot and shes not there then you definitely have a bug.

bonescraper

Rogue said:
Lolololo, i rushed trhough the gaem, and i don't even know how Deathclaws and Cazadores look like. Lolololo, easy difficulty is too easy, because this game is all about shooting bums in the face. +1 for the overrated Hardkkkor Mode. I still don't know why all these homeless fucks wanted to talk with me before i blew their brains out. That's some retarded AI behavior lolz. Where's my CoD? Waaagh! In a scale between 1 and 2 where 1 is shit, i give it 1.
Thank you for your insightful review, good sir.

Rogue

Educated
Dumbfuck. Is it my fault that you're so slow in the head that it takes you 50 hours before you can kill a deathclaw without getting assfucked? No wonder the game is as it is, if everything has to be scaled to such nexgen pros like yourself.

bonescraper

Rogue said:
Dumbfuck. Is it my fault that you're so slow in the head that it takes you 50 hours before you can kill a deathclaw without getting assfucked? No wonder the game is as it is, if everything has to be scaled to such nexgen pros like yourself.
You're so insightful again. You should definitely write an essay. Quality stuff. :salute:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
bonescraper said:
Yet another reason why Bethesda should stick to generic fantasy bullshit.
only their generic fantasy bullshit items suck just as bad.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
SuicideBunny said:
bonescraper said:
Yet another reason why Bethesda should stick to generic fantasy bullshit.
only their generic fantasy bullshit items suck just as bad.

At least they're butchering their own franchise.

Phelot

Arcane
I'm playing it on hardcore at very hard and it is indeed difficult at times. I really think that an RPG in FPS disguise is just a bad idea, and this is no different, but I am surprised at how challenging it actually can be.

At level 5 I can't just waltz anywhere and even though with VATS I magically hit more often, it doesn't always do enough damage to kill things. Also, I'm seeing a need for different ammo types since things like radscorpions can be very difficult to kill with normal rounds.

Again, as an FPS it's pretty stupid. Those human opponents that use melee weapons seem ridiculous rushing at me while I shoot them in the face, but they seem faster then in FO3 (though that might not be the case) and I suppose it was all just as ridiculous as in the first two Fallouts, but the TB hid it well enough.

As for the AI... I don't know what else to expect from a melee fighter other then to try and rush you. I suppose it would have been cool to see them use cover or try and flank you though.

As for it being "fallout" I'd say it comes close. I'm getting the same vibe I got in the first two games that there are different factions at play and they're not all on this side or that. I like that the Legion and Powder Gangers fight each other as well as NCR. Sadly, I can't help but wish all this was going on in the first 2 games so I could get some of those long turn based battles that I love.

EDIT: May as well add a few more thoughts and make it sort of a review...

What I didn't like is how sterile your character has to be. I don't appear to be able to say anything interesting to NPC's beyond "What is this? What is that? Who is this? I will help. I will not help" Boring. VERY boring especially compared to some of the fun stuff you could say in the original two games.

Also, that dialogue system needs to fucking go. The text is so fucking huge that it makes it tedious to have to scroll down to see all the options, which aren't actually that impressive since it seems more designed for asking one of two things. It's also tedious to have all the options that I've previously asked (and again that's all your PC can do: Ask questions) still available to have to sift through.

I'm beginning to get headaches, i can't play it longer than 1 hour.
When i enter a big building all rooms look the same to me and i easily get confused, the constant TABing of the PiP-Boy doesn't help that cause it only makes the headache worse. What's needed is a overlay Map like in Diablo. And another annoying thing is the searching for stuff inside lockers/dressers/etc... Everytime i play it i wish i could see the gameworld from a topdown view. No joke.

Call it the popamole effect.

Phelot

Arcane
SimpleComplexity said:
I'm beginning to get headaches, i can't play it longer than 1 hour.
When i enter a big building all rooms look the same to me and i easily get confused, the constant TABing of the PiP-Boy doesn't help that cause it only makes the headache worse. What's needed is a overlay Map like in Diablo. And another annoying thing is the searching for stuff inside lockers/dressers/etc... Everytime i play it i wish i could see the gameworld from a topdown view. No joke.

Call it the popamole effect.

I don't have trouble finding my way around, but I agree about the pip boy coming up. I wish they'd just make it a menu instead of pretending having some 50 pound piece of machinery attached to your arm is more realistic.

Also, they REALLY needed to go back to a graphical inventory system. I don't care if it's not exactly like the first two games, this shit is retarded. Long lists of stupid shit. NO THANKS.

Suchy

Arcane
I never pressed "I" in original Fallout. Actually the best part of it was, that I could play the game entirely using only one hand, slowly sipping a beer with the other.

Silellak

Cipher
Yeah, the shitty ported-direct-from-console interface is a shame. It bothered me more at first, but the longer I've played it, the more I've learned to ignore it. That certainly doesn't excuse its presence, though - "I've personally learned to stomach it" is not a selling point.

It would be awesome if someone could mod a full UI revamp.

Eyeball

Arcane
I think the biggest problem with NV AI is that there seems to have been a complete lack of communication between the guys doing the map design and the guys coding the AI - take, for instance, the cliffy areas around Cotton Cove. These areas are crawling with geckos at the bottom of the cliffs - if you start shooting at them from halfway up the slope, however, they will generally tend to just run in place or run into a rock while you pick them off one-by-one with a shitty pistol, free XP.

The Bethesdan Oblivion AI was not built to handle steep slopes or areas littered with large rocky outcroppings, nor were there enough AK47s in Oblivion for the above situation to really be a game-breaking problem.

Obsidian dropped the ball by not modifying AI behaviour, because standing five feet away and putting 9mm rounds into a ghoul's face without it being able to walk around the rock it's trying to rape is just insanely facepalm-inducing.

Project: Eternity
Apart from said braindead AI the game can at least look the part of a stealth game if you install a darker nights mod:
nvdarkernightsmod.jpg

It looks better in motion, but this particular view made me think of Deus Ex a bit. :love:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Apart from said braindead AI the game can at least look the part of a stealth game if you install a darker nights mod:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, too. While going back and forth between the arbitrary house and the saloon in the evening, I noticed that this game also suffers from the Arcania syndrome of 'nights are just cloudy weather'.

bonescraper

JarlFrank said:
MR HOUSE IS A COMPUTER

That's kinda liek Fallout 3, innit?
Stop making shit up Skyway! ...Oh, wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom