Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Witcher Trailer Clip with Quest Dialog

cardtrick

Arbiter
(Spotted at RPG Watch)

Haha, this is ridiculous. It seems there will shortly be a new exclusive Game Spot trailer for The Witcher, which will show some dialog and quest details. A short (~45 seconds) clip from this trailer has been released on the official site.

RPG Watch has a direct link to the trailer in their news post.

Mostly we see Geralt talking with some kind of assassin leader/bandit. There is only one point at which the player makes a choice in the dialog, and that is a matter of selecting one of two different four or five word options. It's an awfully short clip, so really we can't assess too much besides the quality of the writing and the voice acting.

My brief thoughts:

* Geralt's voice actor is suitably intense.

* The voice actor for the bandit/assassin dude has the absolute strangest diction and accent I've ever heard. It's not cringe-worthy, like Oblivion or Gothic, but it's . . . weird.

* The music gets absurdly dramatic at one completely inappropriate point. It's ideal.

* The writing is definitely dark, as expected, and pretty over the top. I kind of like it, but (no surprise) it's a little campy and awkward.

Okay, and remember that discussion about wanting Mass Effect to be even more extreme? I think that wish may be granted with the Witcher . . . again, it's hard to say from a 45-second clip, though.

I was going to quote my favorite lines, but the whole thing is kind of wonderful. Watch it yourself! Or, read my transcript:

Bandit: "What you want, freak?"
Geralt: "I have some questions."
Bandit: "You haven't the faintest idea who you're talking to, freak. One word and before you count to three you'll be facing a dozen hardened assassins."
Geralt: "Before you count to three, you'll be dead." <-- Note: you have no choice but to say this. Enforced eXXXtreme FTW!
Bandit: "Well, the cub growls, but does it bite? I could use someone for wet work."

Now you get two options. Note the ridiculous intensity of the only possible way to turn down this quest!

Option 1: "I despise your kind." <-- This is what the player chose in the video.
Option 2: "I'll think about it."

Bandit: "Contempt, wolf cub, is the privilege of the prudent. In all others it's a sign of youth and ignorance." <-- WTF does this mean?!
Bandit: "I piss on your juvenile scorn. What do you want?" <-- Badass line.

And so it ends.

I don't know, man, I'm pretty psyched for this game. It's just so dark, violent, and over the top that I think it's kind of brilliant.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Bandit: "Contempt, wolf cub, is the privilege of the prudent. In all others it's a sign of youth and ignorance." <-- WTF does this mean?!

Gerald is an ignorant fuck instead of being a prudent fuck like the bandit/assassin

cardtrick

Arbiter
Er. . . but prudent means (and I'm quoting Merriam-Webster) marked by wisdom or judiciousness. Shouldn't someone who is prudent therefore not express contempt, which is rarely wise and certainly not judicious?

Not to mention, it's a little ridiculous for a bandit leader to be spouting philosophy at someone he just threatened with death by 12 assassins at the mere mention of "questions."

cardtrick

Arbiter
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
I didnt like that dialogue at all. It seemed really akward.

Yeah. I love it. (I'm kind of into B movies and the whole "so stupid it's great" thing.)

aries202

Erudite
You do know that Bioware highly recommends this game :?: And I can see it now whey they did this ;) The good doctors were probably taken aback with amazement over the extreme options in Mass E, ehm, I mean 'the witcher'. Like the first poster says, you have no other options than to say 'if you count ot three, you'll be dead'. Sounds like something a certain Shepard might say in The witch, ehm, I mean, Mass Effect.

As for contempt being the privelife of the prudent. I think it means something in the line of that if you're going to have contempt for someone, you better have matured enough to put your mouth were your money is. And be able to as well as strong enough to be fit for a good fight.

More seriously, this game seems to only have two options: a) worse and b) worser.

It's somewhat refreshing from Mass Effect's three choices to dialogues, but to me it would really be annoying&irritating no to be able to say something a least semi-pleasant to other people, npcs, in the game.

Jora

Arcane
I don't think the dialogue is very good. I mean, Gerald is cool an all, but the bandit's lines follow the age-old fantasy formulas.

"One word and before you count to three you'll be facing a dozen hardened assassins"

How many times have I read/heard that in RPGs?

"Contempt, wolf cub, is the privilege of the prudent. In all others it's a sign of youth and ignorance."

Lol. Please. Is the man a bandit or philosopher? I don't want every street thug and their dog explaining abstract concepts to me.

HotSnack

Cipher
Jora said:
Lol. Please. Is the man a bandit or philosopher? I don't want every street thug and their dog explaining abstract concepts to me.
So this game is Jack Bauer in The Holy Grail? Best. Game. Evar.

MasPingon

Arcane
Jora said:
Gerald is cool an all, but the bandit's lines follow the age-old fantasy formulas.

Lol. Please. Is the man a bandit or philosopher?

So what's your opinion?

The dialog is poor, it's sad that we don't have a choice of what Geralt is suppose to say.I liked NPC voice tho

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
aries202 said:
You do know that Bioware highly recommends this game :?:

It's because they paid Bioware for the Aurora Engine. Also, the game does seem very Bioware-esque, but with a hint of Gothic added.

EDIT: They seem to have Mass Effect beat in voice acting too. Mass Effect will probably be better received by critics, but so far this looks like the better RPG.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Geralt: "Before you count to three, you'll be dead." <-- Note: you have no choice but to say this. Enforced eXXXtreme FTW!

*sigh*

the game does seem very Bioware-esque

that's what I don't like. Also if there will be more such "dialogues" The Witcher may turn out to be just another ARPG...
And you know that they show the best parts in trailers, don't you?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
skyway said:
that's what I don't like. Also if there will be more such "dialogues" The Witcher may turn out to be just another ARPG...

Yes, they show the stuff that makes the mainstream audience go "WOW THIS IS HARDCORE" and not the real RPG players. Trailers aren't there to show in-depth stuff but to give a short glimpse of the game.

Which doesn't mean anything, though. I'm still optimistic on the Witcher being better than most of the other lately released stuff [which isn't hard, to be honest].

Jora

Arcane
MasPingon said:
So what's your opinion?
I'm not sure what you mean. I think Geralt sounds cool but the bandit uses lots of cliche lines. It's far too common for fantasy writers to write "deep" lines that aren't really that insightful. It's worse when they give these lines to totally wrong characters.

Jora

Arcane
I read the first post more thoroughly and noticed that cardtrick wasn't defending the quality of the dialogue. :oops:

cardtrick

Arbiter
aweigh said:
"I PISS ON YOUR JUVENILE SCORN."

I'm sold.

What's even better is that it's followed (in the same line!) with a perfectly reasonable "What do you want?". That dude is as schizophrenic as his Deep South meets Old West Cowboy meets Random Eastern European Country accent.

EDIT: Yeah, Jora, it would be kind of hard to seriously defend the literary quality of that dialog. I wasn't kidding when I said I enjoyed it though.

Solaris

Scholar
Hard to tell if this snippet is made for the ESF crowd or not. Can't believe that sort of shit will be the mainstay of the dialogue, surely not....? :shock:

MasPingon

Arcane
skyway said:

Nope, according to what CDP says. One of the guys from a dev team said that in one of the conversations with important NPC we got even 8 lines of dialog options to choose. All we got is hope that it's not a bullshit and dialogs are better then in those gameplay movies that we saw.

Hory

Erudite
Wow, if the dialogue with a nameless bandit is like this, imagine the drama in encounters with more important characters.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They should release more dialog trailers so we can judge more correctly. Also if only important npcs will have many lines of dialogs it will be rather disappointing and will make all other npc to be just bandit #501, elf #159 etc, unlike PS:T, where I liked that you can get like 10 lines of dialogs even with an unimportant character.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i hope the dialog gets even more x-treme, and that I can threaten to impale babies with my longsword

MasPingon

Arcane
skyway said:
TAlso if only important npcs will have many lines of dialogs it will be rather disappointing

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. From what a devs said you can tell that's exacly what this game will look like.

Deleted member 7219

I recommend you guys watch the full-length video now avaliable at Gamespot. I downloaded it, better quality if you do.

This game looks really good, I'm even more eager to get it now once its released. Its just annoying that this and MotB come out at the same time and I dont know which to play first.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Huh. Well, I can tell that I'm probably going to like the game, but it's certainly not going to be a new classic. The dialog is mostly really bad, and not always in a good way. Also, and maybe this is just me, but the facial animations are distractingly bad. The character models and textures look great, which I think is why it's so disturbing to watch their completely expressionless faces while their mouths make little twitching motions as they speak. They made a good choice in that earlier clip by selecting an NPC whose lower face was covered in cloth.

Other than that, it's a really beautiful game. G-ho's will be pleased, I think. It's not just a matter of graphics technology, either; the art design is consistently strong and the animations are mostly quite fluid.

Combat looks fun, which is important for an Action RPG. Your mileage will vary, of course . . . I would prefer a tactical turn-based system, but given that it's real time with pause this seems to be well done and very active. Of course, just because they demonstrate a lot of options in combat doesn't mean much; I will be disappointed, but not surprised, if it turns out that the best way to succeed is to repeatedly tap one button over and over.

The conversation from that clip was fleshed out, and the video gives a sense for the kind of quests to expect. I doubt we'll see anything too deep, but there is evidence of branching and choices/consequences. I consider this pretty promising.

Typical conversation (with a bouncer outside some dude's locked house):

Bouncer: Are you lost?
Geralt: Who lives here?
Bouncer: Don't answer a question with a question!
Geralt: Let me . . . rephrase . . .
Bouncer: Some nerve! [Pause.] This is Ramsmeat's house, and he never spoke of a visiting mutant, so scram!

Haha, genius. At no point in that conversation did the player have a choice in what to say, so no matter what you're going to sound like a douche. I don't think there are going to be a lot of options to determine your character's personality through dialog, which I suppose makes sense in that you are playing as a character from an existing IP.

Another brilliant conversation:

Geralt: You an experienced fistfighter?
Fat Dude: Smacked a few! Why?
Geralt: I defeated Fat Fred. Looking for another opponent.
Fat Dude: You take issue with fat folk?

EXCITING CHOICE HERE: Either "Yes" or "No." The player chose Yes.

Fat Dude: You just pissed off Butterbing!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom