Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Witcher Trailer Clip with Quest Dialog

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the dialog is so bad it's good. i prefer this kind of nonsensical, over-the-top dialog over mediocre stuff like what biowhere's been churning out recently

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
aweigh said:
the dialog is so bad it's good.

No such thing. Bad is bad, and that's all there is to it.

Of course, what can you expect from a game which forces you to play a Drizzt wanna-be?

Starwars

Arcane
Well, the dialogues aren't exactly strong, nor are the dialogue options. The one conversation with many options seemed to be "tell me about this, tell me about that" etc etc.
It's to bad since I actually kinda liked the voiceactors so far. Over the top for sure, but that would've been very fitting if the dialogue had been sharper.

Combat still looks meh to me personally, but at least there is a pause function (had no idea about this, haven't been following the game). Still, this might be the thing that kills the game off for me depending on how combat heavy it will be.

Now, I must say that I *really* liked how the city and the Inn looks and feels. It's hard to judge from just a clip, but I was actually kinda impressed. Cities is not something I feel most 3D RPGs have done very well, but maybe The Witcher will be able to brings its cities to life.

This is a game that I will no doubt end up trying, but I get the feeling that it won't hold my interest to the end. Hope I'm wrong though.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
We knew from the beggining that we will play a predefined charachter with existing personality, so bithcing about how the game do not let you choose exact words is kinda pointless. And i don't remember dialogues being actively hyped by the devs either.

fastpunk

Arbiter
It seems like pretty crude stuff. It doesn't sound particularly good and it's not big on options either. Of course, the relevance of this dialog is unknown, others may be much better... but the voice acting just doesn't do it for me.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Starwars said:
Now, I must say that I *really* liked how the city and the Inn looks and feels. It's hard to judge from just a clip, but I was actually kinda impressed. Cities is not something I feel most 3D RPGs have done very well, but maybe The Witcher will be able to brings its cities to life.
Yep, that kinda sold me on the 10 minutes video. It seems to be a very atmospheric, well designed world.

About the dialogues...well meh. You still didnt have much to chose in the 10 minutes video, but at least the dialogues sounded kinda normal. Nothing bad, nothing great, but not such a terrible thing like in that short clip we saw before.
The "witty" asnwers by Geralt you have no control on seem to be a major pain in the ass,.

The Voice acting of all characters sucks major ass though, doesnt seem to be made by natives. Im gonna stick to the polish version and hope its better there.[/url]

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
That was very much like watching a b-movie. The good kind, however, that makes you laugh and reach for the popcorn.

(So if The Witcher is supposed to be a grim and scary game I'm dissapointed and hope that the dialogue, or at least not THAT slice, isn't how the rest of the game turns out.)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, judging by the first movie the English voice acting is howwibly howwible.
The dialogue isn't brilliant, but I think I can tolerate it.
As for forced humour and lacking choice of character, well, you're playing Geralt. People had the same complaints about Gothic's Nameless Hero.

aries202

Erudite
In this thread http://rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.p ... #post46376

there's this link:

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitche ... id=6179649

It a 11 minutes clip of thw witcher and some explaining in text about how the game's dialogue system, attributes & abilities system are going to work in the game:

This actually made my think about buying the game :) Although I still stand by my initial reacion sbout Jack Bauer in the middle ages ;)

It looked interestingly enough, though, I liked that you can talk to someone, pay them a little gold..., get some info. And there's music and ambience in the taverns & inns. Nice touch, I think :)

The only thing, I'm still a little (or a lot) weary over is the combat system. It seems much to focused on action orientated combat for my taste...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Elwro said:
Not only is Drizzt infinitely lamer than Geralt, but the witcher was also created earlier (1986)...

Ho noes, i fail at nerd knowledge. Woe is me. :lol:

Suicidal

Arcane
I didn't expect this game to have really good dialogue, after all, most games that call themselves action RPGs don't have any at all. Gothic 3, for example also had very little dialogue, and sometimes you had no control over what you character said, but that didn't stop it from being a good RPG.

As long as this game has the choices and consequences the developers promised and that dark medieval atmosphere it's on my buy list (if it ships to my fucking 3rd world country, that is).

made

Arcane
Didn't seem too bad or overly ridiculous to me. It's till promising to be an entertaining game, unless you expect roleplaying to teh max and intend to act greatly surprised when it's just an action RPG.

covr

Prophet
Patron
This new, 11 minutes trailer is great. I'm totally sold. Atmosphere of the game is dark and strage, just like in PS:T. I don't wan't nothing more.
P.S. I'm totally drunk ATM, so I can be wrong.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
As far as dialogue quality is concerned, I am inclined to agree - it isn't as good as I hoped it would be. Nevertheless, I see no reason to overzealously complain it about it, either.
As Fastpunk has already written, the game appears to be very atmospheric. Having that said, I shall desist from passing judgement until I have played the game.

I really liked what I saw, to tell the truth. I am cautiously optimistic.

Annonchinil

Scholar
The Witcher should challenge the guy to a rap battle. Is it possible to be evil/tough withought being an insulting jackass?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Personally I would prefer to play Mass Effect than this Twitcher stuff...

What's the big attraction? Playing a Polish wannabe Drizzt do Urden? Why do we call this an RPG? What evidence do we actually have that you can role-play? I can't see any.

Looks like just another interactive action game/movie. There will probably be a handful of events where you can choose a different 'branch' and yes there are stats. But none of the dialog so far has any role-playing.

Looks to me as if you'll have a choice of:
-listening to a Jack Bauer Dark Elf making extreme sarcastic threats
-occasionally taking an optional quest
-on a few occasions to get an alternate segment of the main quest, with different challenges and enemies
-deciding if you want to favor 'quick attacks' or 'power attacks', super fireball spells or lightning spells

There will be one ending

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
dagorkan said:
Personally I would prefer to play Mass Effect than this Twitcher stuff...

Why do we call this an RPG? What evidence do we actually have that you can role-play? I can't see any.
From your sig:
"An A-RPG is an action or adventure game in which the player's abilities are, at least minimally, modified by the adjustable attributes of his/her avatar. "
(credit to Joe Krow, Sarvis)

Looks like just another interactive action game/movie. There will probably be a handful of events where you can choose a different 'branch' and yes there are stats. But none of the dialog so far has any role-playing.
Gothic 2 dialogue didn't have much roleplaying trough dialogue either. Its still has quite a number of fans among the codex crowd and we discuss it in RPG discussion.
I agree with you though, that the game could turn out to be designed like a interactive movie, cut-scene heavy, linear etc. With the different choiced being more like a gimmick, also presented in a "cinematic way".

There will be one ending
Afaik there will be three, depending on your actions throughout the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom