Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Witcher Trailer Clip with Quest Dialog

dragonfk

Erudite
made said:
So can anyone shed some light on why the execution scene was cut from the game?

Was it?

MetalCraze

Arcane

Maybe he meant why they didn't show warehouse worker's brains on the ceiling and walls.

The reason BioWare doesn't do this is they don't want to - they wouldn't see the attraction in this because most players go through a game once, and the separation of a choice--->consequence of several hours gameplay isn't going to sound attractive to their market. BioWare has repeatedly said they aren't going to spend money on content that only a small group of players will see. It's all about their philosophy, not skills.

That's why they called Biowhore. At least some years ago that didn't stop them from making BG2 and in some way KotOR. That's why these games people remember till this very day, while everyone seem to have forgotten about JE. Ironic?
Wait a sec... I thought we were their market...

Dhruin

Liturgist
Times change. BG2 cost 2.5m to make; these days that gets you the coffee for the development team. I quite liked BG2, but I don't really remember too many real choices and consequences. Chapter 2 was pretty good, but apart from siding with Bhodi (or not), was there really that much choice?

BioWare has always reacted quickly to the market. Just look at the changes from BG -> BG2 -> NWN. I think you have expectations of them that they were never aiming to fulfill.

made

Arcane
Eh, this thread was about the Witcher, not BioWare. I was refering to this quote:

MasPingon said:
Trash said:
Dialogue doesn't seem that great here, but I saw a clip on gametrailers which detailed the different consequences a single dialogue with a prisoner could have. It kinda blew me away, even when the dialogue itself was a bit stilted.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/11348.html

THis scene has been cut from the game, but it's an example of what c&c we can expect

Gwendo

Augur
made said:
Eh, this thread was about the Witcher, not BioWare. I was refering to this quote:

MasPingon said:
Trash said:
Dialogue doesn't seem that great here, but I saw a clip on gametrailers which detailed the different consequences a single dialogue with a prisoner could have. It kinda blew me away, even when the dialogue itself was a bit stilted.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/11348.html

THis scene has been cut from the game, but it's an example of what c&c we can expect

May I ask why do you believe in "MasPingon"?

MasPingon

Arcane
This gamplay movie is over 1 year old. Since that time the game has changed in some places( and I mean places- locations, not elements like c&c) and they had to make couple of decissions. I don't give a damn if you belive me or not Gwendo, I just correnct missinformation.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
That's some piss poor dialog there. But then again, the Gothic games had bad dialog too but were solid games nonetheless.
Still, I'm not excited. They should have released Twitcher 1-2 years ago, then I'd have cared. Now my attention goes all to Obsidian and Bioware, because they seem to adapt quicker to the market.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Morgoth said:
Now my attention goes all to Obsidian and Bioware, because they seem to adapt quicker to the market.

How is that even conceivably a good thing? Aren't we all old fogies who prefer the market as it was years ago?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
cardtrick said:
Morgoth said:
Now my attention goes all to Obsidian and Bioware, because they seem to adapt quicker to the market.

How is that even conceivably a good thing? Aren't we all old fogies who prefer the market as it was years ago?
I'm just pissed that all RPGs I were looking forward to (Jefferson, Torn, Van Buren, Troika etc.) were cancelled/shutdown. What we now get are some fucking Diablo clones, bugfests (Gothic 3), or weird bad-written-slavic-mothafucka-NWN-wannabes (Twitcher). Bioware and Obsidian also do spend a lot of effort into Bloom, yes, but in the end of the day, they get their shit together.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I'm a bit surprised at all the hostility towards the Twicher. My impression is that it seems to be shaping up to be better than Gothic perhaps. Combat sounds interesting (at least the skills), and it seems to have some hard-core C&C and an interesting setting, semi-bad dialogue and preset PC. Like gothic, with better combat and more serious c&c. I am very satisfied. I hope my somewhat shitty PC will be able to run it though. Masseffect is shit, that's quite clear.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Ah well, to each his own. I think the Witcher looks better than the official campaigns for either NWN or NWN2, although not nearly as good as a few of the mods for NWN or the upcoming expansion to NWN2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm a bit surprised at all the hostility towards the Twicher.

I will give it a try for sure. If it will indeed have some c&c then maybe it will turn to be a decent game. Also I'm impressed with it's graphical design. Not graphics, but the design of those forests, buildings and so on.
Dialogs seem to be... generic though... Oh well

cardtrick

Arbiter
skyway said:
I will give it a try for sure. If it will indeed have some c&c then maybe it will turn to be a decent game. Also I'm impressed with it's graphical design. Not graphics, but the design of those forests, buildings and so on.
Dialogs seem to be... generic though... Oh well

Generic, eh? I piss on your juvenile scorn.

MasPingon

Arcane
The Witcher Minimum requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800

1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista

128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)

Recommended requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz or AMD X2 5600+

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 PRO

omfg_wtf_by_KatzMotel.jpg

Micmu

Magister
Wow, they sure have pushed the "recommended" GB limit.
Does this mean 4 GB on Vista or are they fair? :)

Suicidal

Arcane
The system requirments are an overkill, but if they polish their engine enough it may run better than NWN 2 and Gothic 3 did.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Suicidal said:
The system requirments are an overkill, but if they polish their engine enough it may run better than NWN 2 and Gothic 3 did.

Well, the devs are Polish, so they should be able to polish it.

[Yes, this was a very bad and cheap pun, but I did it for the lulz.]

cardtrick

Arbiter
Yikes . . . for anyone who's interested, those recommended system requirements are only marginally lower than what's required to play Bioshock at max settings, 1680x1050 resolution, with 45-60 FPS. The Witcher's decent looking graphically, but that's ridiculous.

Looks like my GeForce 6100 isn't running the Twitcher, and I doubt I'm upgrading anytime soon. So...question is....what exactly can I run with a dual-core Turion 64 processor, the GeForce 6100, and 2 gigs of RAM?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
While I don't want to slag The Witcher too much as I'm looking forward to it myself; but some people in this thread are full of crap.

The Witcher is nowhere near looking as good as ME.

Some nonsensical stuff:

"What have we seen from ME?"

Quite a bit, actually.

" Lots of dialogues and combat of dubious quality."

Good dialogue that is obviously superior than The Witcher's. That's for sure. ME's combat looks to be rather good for an action rpg. I'm sure The Witcher will have solid combat since it's based on the awesome Aurora so no complaints there.

" I haven't seen any example of a significant consequence or alternative outcome of a dialogue, and virtually nothing about quests. Are there alternative paths or different outcomes?"

Then you are stupid. There's been tons of info on side quests, and multiple outcomes to dialogue influenced by character background(s), dialogue skills, character philosophy, and otpions wanted to be chosen by player. ME has mutliple endings. Supposedly a handful, and definitely more than just 2.

So... the true question. is... why do make stuff up?

Anyways, to Witcher.. it'll be okay; but since it's a premade character, i don't see much strength to it's likely role-playing. Only things determined in ME is last name, and you are a soldier. R00fles!

dagorkan

Arbiter
ME does look more polished than the Twitcher. Obviously because Bioware has far more experience in making Action-RPGs

Neither look all that great to me. Mass Effect got worse and worse as Bioware announced things, like enemies not dropping loot, being forced to have a party (from which you can gather that party members are invincible once again and at least two will "never" leave you), the KOTOR look of the planet map, inconsequential choices (killing 50 guards then sparing one or two), and level scaling.

Not to mention it doesn't look like there are many differing enemy types, though that could change. Kaiden and Ashley look like the generic male and female duo thrown at you in every post-KOTOR game. The blue alien woman seems to be exhibiting Aerie syndrome heavily, being too shy to really speak properly to Shepard, yet fight thousands of Geth of with biotics. Wrex looks just like Canderous, who was just like Korgan. Yay rehashing of the "I like to fight and talk about of fights and my peoples warrior pride" archetype! And the biggest disappoinment is how they have basically neutered the real time dialogue idea, their big hype piece, by making no real benefit to interrupting. Great job Bioware!

It had a lot of promise, but looks to be falling flat on it's face. Hopefully it turns out well enough, as it is all I've got for an RPG fix until Age of Decadence....unless I can run Bloodlines on this machine....then I'll have to track down a copy and replay it under better circumstances.

Whereas the Witcher will be out of my playing capabilities because of the bloom etc. and looks more choose your own adventure with action combat than RPG, but I honestly haven't followed it nearly as Mass Effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom