Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Next Dragon Age Will Draw From Skyrim

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Azalin said:
Fens said:
zfzsT.png

:salute: :salute:

MCA
As shitty as Bethesda games are in general, they are still very gamist at the core, unlike Bioware's games driven by cinematic bullshit and all the emofaggotry that comes with it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
J_J_M said:
Because Bioware is fickle as shit. First they copied their own game i.e. Mass Effect, because it was a bigger seller, and brought every cancerous feature from there into Dragon Age

It's even worse, because it wasn't a bigger seller. :retarded:

Turjan

Arcane
I think the EA doctors will learn something from Skyrim:

Spend more on advertising!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember back in the late 90's, after Baldur's Gate's release, Bioware was honestly hesitant to add dragons to Baldur's Gate sequels! They believed that they couldn't do them justice. That they were too big for the engine. (think of the ginormous dragon skeleton underneath Durlag's Tower)

Quite a contrast with today's dragonmania.

Shadenuat

Arcane
An open world would be nice for a change, and while Bioware characters nowadays are squeaky and annoying, they're at least lively, so I would take annoying but lively every day instead Bethesdas flatfaced dummies.
But open world isn't what they're gonna draw from TES, is't it? They don't have that sort of experience... and both Bioware and Bethesda suck at making complicated and interesting roleplaying systems, so why bother taking something from Skyrim I have no idea.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Shadenuat said:
But open world isn't what they're gonna draw from TES, isn't it?

You think maybe it's the crafting system? The star gazing skill maps? What else do they have?

Maybe they noticed that most people aren't gay.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shadenuat said:
An open world would be nice for a change, and while Bioware characters nowadays are squeaky and annoying, they're at least lively, so I would take annoying but lively every day instead Bethesdas flatfaced dummies.
But open world isn't what they're gonna draw from TES, is't it? They don't have that sort of experience... and both Bioware and Bethesda suck at making complicated and interesting roleplaying systems, so why bother taking something from Skyrim I have no idea

I've been accused (in typical Codex, piss-on-everything-fashion) of being too pessimistic/conspiracy-theory-y, but I think we all know the last thing that Bioware will "draw inspiration from" is the open world, as you said.

Although, Bioware's best games weren't based on role-playing systems they created, but existing ones around which they built campaign, etc. Such as the little-known Dungeons and something...

Shadenuat

Arcane
You think maybe it's the crafting system? The star gazing skill maps? What else do they have?

Visceral first person no disconnect combat without need to suspend your disbelief. Kinda sticks well with their buttonawesome thing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" Make another BG2, and you will outsell Bethesda,"

Absolute bullshit. BIO games will not sell 10mil. BIO is simply not big enough to make that kind fod ent. And, if they ever get that big it won'ty be with stuff like a modern BG2. Ain't gonna happen.

Wunderpurps

Educated
sea said:
It'd be nice if they tried, you know, making a good game on their own, instead of just copying what's popular.

Nah, fuck that shit.

They did and it was called dragon age.

torpid

Liturgist
Bioware's core audience would turn on them if they made an open-world game -- how to quickly find the romanceable characters? They would have to include a love interest in every town so that players can find one regardless of where they go to first. Better just to rip off the marriage mini-quest and leave it at that.

Turjan

Arcane
In all sincerity, I'm not even sure why Muzyka complains here. Bethesda sold 10 million copies of a game they worked 5 years on. Bioware sold 2 million copies of a not so great game they only worked a year on. In the end, it looks like a wash. The number just doesn't look as sexy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Absolute bullshit. BIO games will not sell 10mil. BIO is simply not big enough to make that kind fod ent. And, if they ever get that big it won'ty be with stuff like a modern BG2. Ain't gonna happen."

What do you mean by big? I think Bioware's much larger than Bethesda when it comes to number of employees. Even their teams are much bigger, DA/ME have something close to 200 each whereas Skyrim was made with about 100. Marketing? I'd say EA's resources are just as vast if not moreso.

Zarniwoop said:
I've been accused (in typical Codex, piss-on-everything-fashion) of being too pessimistic/conspiracy-theory-y, but I think we all know the last thing that Bioware will "draw inspiration from" is the open world, as you said.
Yeah, Laidlaw's already even said it won't be an open world, just cover more space than a city and the surrounding areas. Plus their engine can't even support it (or even day/night cycles), just look at ghost town Kirkwall.

Wunderpurps said:
sea said:
It'd be nice if they tried, you know, making a good game on their own, instead of just copying what's popular.

Nah, fuck that shit.

They did and it was called dragon age.
DA started in 2004 and it really does feel like the Biodocs saw that new World of Warcraft thing that Blizzard was putting out and said "This is awesome! We have to steal all these ideas, future of role playing right here!" and five years later there you go.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Infinitron said:
I remember back in the late 90's, after Baldur's Gate's release, Bioware was honestly hesitant to add dragons to Baldur's Gate sequels! They believed that they couldn't do them justice. That they were too big for the engine. (think of the ginormous dragon skeleton underneath Durlag's Tower)
And were completely right.

:x

abnaxus said:

:what:

:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom