Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Next Vampire: The Masquerade game from Draw Distance, codenamed Project Cardinal

Harthwain

Magister
Wow. I got interested by the name of the project and was immediately disapointed when I saw the art with the characters.

More leaked in-engine images though the poster doesn't give a source for them (they're not from the other artist's artstation, I checked) https://www.reddit.com/r/LeaksAndRu..._images_on_the_unannounced_project_from_draw/

The last few images make it really apparent this will likely be a Hunter game.
This looks decent. I will be surprised if these two turn out to be related.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
After years of bad releases, Paradox is finally running out of money?
Paradox was in incredibly bad shape when they cancelled Bloodlines 2, which is why they fired Ebba and reinstated Wester. It seemed like he was bringing them back to prosperity though?

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Paradox is having money troubles? Why am I not surprised? The least they could do is die with dignity rather than drag it out for so long.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The first piece of concept art reminds me of the art used in Undernauts. Bloodlines 2 is cancelled? I thought it was almost released. I see it on GOG when I look in coming soon for RPGS. I thought it just kept getting delayed. Is this a certainty? Any possibility of release?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The first piece of concept art reminds me of the art used in Undernauts. Bloodlines 2 is cancelled? I thought it was almost released. I see it on GOG when I look in coming soon for RPGS. I thought it just kept getting delayed. Is this a certainty? Any possibility of release?
Hardsuit's Bloodlines 2 was cancelled. They immediately started a new one with a different studio that we recently saw hints of, with a bigger look announced for September.

Shaki

Arbiter
Paradox has money problems? Impossible. Just the money I spent on fucking CK2 and EU4 DLCs, could feed a whole african village for like a decade.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Paradox has money problems? Impossible. Just the money I spent on fucking CK2 and EU4 DLCs, could feed a whole african village for like a decade.
It's weird. Paradox has been funding this for two years and in 2022 they agreed to extend milestone payments through 2024. Now all of a sudden it's "Yeah, we're out, but we're not outright cancelling it. If you find someone else to fund the final year of development that's cool with us, you can even keep the setting as is" and Draw Distance replies with "Thanks, we're so happy with this arrangement that we're going to pay to use the Vampire the Masquerade license through 2029." When a project breaks down like this, one would expect burned bridges and hard feelings. The first explanation that pops into my mind is that Paradox simply doesn't have the money to continue. Maybe they were once again ridiculously optimistic about how long it'd take to complete Bloodlines 2, and extending development of that means the money is no longer there to pay these guys. Maybe early 2024 was too optimistic for DD's game and it needed another extension, so they decided to cut their losses now instead of being up a creek without a paddle later.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe DD already found a publisher?
Feel like if they had one lined up there wouldn't be any need for the "the Company will now focus on finding a publisher interested in financing the project in question. At the same time, the Company is entitled to suspend development work on the Game." talk. They wouldn't spook their shareholders unnecessarily.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
them and their fuckin' dlc

they abandoned my favorite game (imperator: rome) so they could pump out...whatever it is that they are making for ck3. i put about a hundred or so hours into ck3, i realized early on that it was going to another dlc thing, but worse. haven't played it since febuary and have no interest to ever again. it's bad. let that ship sink to the bottom of baltic.

Vincente

Arbiter
Maybe DD already found a publisher?
Feel like if they had one lined up there wouldn't be any need for the "the Company will now focus on finding a publisher interested in financing the project in question. At the same time, the Company is entitled to suspend development work on the Game." talk. They wouldn't spook their shareholders unnecessarily.
Here's to hoping they find someone, or go crowdfunding for the last year. I need my Hunter fix!

Readher

Savant
The Board of Directors of Draw Distance S.A., based in Krakow (hereinafter: the Company), announces that the Company yesterday, i.e. 27.09.2023, in the afternoon, entered into a license agreement with Paradox Interactive AB (hereinafter: Paradox) covering the grant of a paid license to the Company for the production and distribution of the next game based on the IP "Vampire: The Masquerade".

The Company plans to release the game in the second half of 2024, on PC and consoles. The latest game, together with the Company's previous productions in the series, i.e. 'Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York' and 'Vampire: The Masquerade - Shadows of New York', will form a trilogy. In return for granting the licence, the Company is obliged to pay Paradox a royalty in the form of a share of the game's sales revenue.

The term of the agreement is until 29.05.2029 with the possibility of renewal.

The conclusion of this agreement may have a significant impact on the Company's financial results.
Auto-translated with DeepL even though I'm Polish since I cba to translate corporate speak myself. It's accurate, apart from some wonky word order in the first paragraph.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, that's just confirmation of what was already likely, a third Vampire the Masquerade VN.

The first explanation that pops into my mind is that Paradox simply doesn't have the money to continue.

This turned out to be correct, except it had less to do with Bloodlines 2 and more to do with the gigantic loss they had coming with Lamplighters League. They were counting on spending money they didn't actually have yet.

Yeah, that's just confirmation of what was already likely, a third Vampire the Masquerade VN.

The first explanation that pops into my mind is that Paradox simply doesn't have the money to continue.

This turned out to be correct, except it had less to do with Bloodlines 2 and more to do with the gigantic loss they had coming with Lamplighters League. They were counting on spending money they didn't actually have yet.
I totally forgot about that game. It looked neat, if pozzed, then vanished without so much as a whisper. Was their anything wrong with it? A quick glance at Steam reviews suggests style over substance and unpolished on a technical basis.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I totally forgot about that game. It looked neat, if pozzed, then vanished without so much as a whisper. Was their anything wrong with it? A quick glance at Steam reviews suggests style over substance and unpolished on a technical basis.
The biggest thing wrong with it was that it had a $30 million budget which would have been very difficult to recoup even in the most ideal of circumstances. Releasing a mediocre turn based tactical game in a crowded season that already included more-appealing tactical games was less than ideal.

RagingNomad

Educated
The biggest thing wrong with it was that it had a $30 million budget which would have been very difficult to recoup even in the most ideal of circumstances. Releasing a mediocre turn based tactical game in a crowded season that already included more-appealing tactical games was less than ideal.
So you think this game was cancelled?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
One of those things that got approved when money was cheap and getting cheaper, and no longer makes sense with increasing interest rates on loans.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So you think this game was cancelled?
They tried to shop it around at gamescom, but the downturn in the industry meant no one was looking to fund anything new. Their last financial report said they were still looking for a publisher. It's looking less and less likely they'll find one.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Considering that this industry is in shambles in general, and everything that has been touched by Paradox in particular, I think it's safe to say that this is 90% likely to be dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom