Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are viable alternatives to Nexus including ModDB and others. T

Just as viable as Gab and Dissenter?

ModDB is >#8000, Nexus around #1000, the gulf is huge.

ModDB offers file hosting and all the features they require.

If their mods are as good as their ego seems to believe then surely people will continue to flock to download it?

If not, then they accept that they aren't gods and use the Nexus.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Plenty of people here claim that the copyright to all mods are with the developer and so modders have no rights at all. Pointing that out as wrong a second time, I'll also repeat that its a legal grey area. Copyright law in terms of the legislations have not caught up to such complex issues and the fact that none of these questions of law are settled in court mean that there isn't any precedent either. Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(video_games)#Legal_status_of_mods
Copyright law, as it relates to video games and mod packs, is an evolving and largely unsettled legal issue. The legal uncertainty revolves around which party is legally the 'copyright owner' of the mods within the pack—the company that produced the game, the end-user that created the compilation, or the creators of the individual mods.
Some lawyer's site : https://odinlaw.com/who-owns-my-game-mod/ Its a 2 minute read, just read it FFS.
At their core, game mods are derivative works. A modification needs to run on the original work in order for the mod itself to work. As a game modder, you own some limited copyrights in what you created but what you created is likely copyright infringement.

Also the question of how original / independent a work is comes up here. When a mod is 99% original (ie total conversions and the like), the principles / jurisprudence of copyright law won't let it be property of the game studio, but how it will see it is unknown, as again, the law hasn't caught up. The fact that many mods are distributed via a CC license, and that its always the modder / modders deciding that shows that in reality, most people know the EULAs are BS.

And at the end of it all, Nexus isn't even in the equation because whether mods belong to the modders or the game-creators / companies, it doesn't belong to them. They're not a licensee of either the modder or the company and until they are, all this shit is a hustle. Plenty of aggregation servies exist, and all of them are free. Ie reddit, steam curators, fucking youtube modlist videos but somehow Nexus is speshul.

It's hilarious that your own link states that the mod is copyright infringement.

Here's mine and it has a court case attached.

One way that video game producers have attempted to make clear that they own the rights to user mods created through the video game’s software is through disclaimers, such as the one included in Nintendo’s Super Mario Maker. These disclaimers seem to cut off any potential future copyright claims that Nintendo used their content without permission.

Ultimately, these disclaimers that players agree to while creating content will probably be enforced by courts and limit any potential claims of copyright for gamers. A more interesting question is who owns the copyright of content created in a game using third-party software. Both sides would have at least a partial claim; the game producer made the backbone while the gamer made the specific mod. In the end, it seems very similar to the Microsoft Paint example mentioned earlier. However, cases such as Micro Star v. FormGen Inc., 154 F.3d 1107 (1998) seem to suggest that courts consider user-generated works as derivative content belonging to the copyright owner. This case does not fit the situation of content-created with third party software exactly, so there may be some space for such content to be considered owned by its creator.

https://blog.jipel.law.nyu.edu/2016/02/the-ip-implications-of-video-game-mods/

The EULA in most cases allows mods, but it doesn't grant ownership to your mod to you. There are pre-emptive provisions that declare you have no legal rights to any mod you make. As a mod maker, I ran into this firsthand. I was part of a CK2 modding group that split apart. My original mod was merged into a collaborative effort. There was a split in the team and other members wanted to use my original mod. It went to the company for moderation. The company said you don't have any legal rights to your mod as we allow you to mod out of our goodwill. Thus, the other group could still use my code and I could use theirs.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Plenty of people here claim that the copyright to all mods are with the developer and so modders have no rights at all. Pointing that out as wrong a second time, I'll also repeat that its a legal grey area. Copyright law in terms of the legislations have not caught up to such complex issues and the fact that none of these questions of law are settled in court mean that there isn't any precedent either. Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(video_games)#Legal_status_of_mods
Copyright law, as it relates to video games and mod packs, is an evolving and largely unsettled legal issue. The legal uncertainty revolves around which party is legally the 'copyright owner' of the mods within the pack—the company that produced the game, the end-user that created the compilation, or the creators of the individual mods.
Some lawyer's site : https://odinlaw.com/who-owns-my-game-mod/ Its a 2 minute read, just read it FFS.
At their core, game mods are derivative works. A modification needs to run on the original work in order for the mod itself to work. As a game modder, you own some limited copyrights in what you created but what you created is likely copyright infringement.

Also the question of how original / independent a work is comes up here. When a mod is 99% original (ie total conversions and the like), the principles / jurisprudence of copyright law won't let it be property of the game studio, but how it will see it is unknown, as again, the law hasn't caught up. The fact that many mods are distributed via a CC license, and that its always the modder / modders deciding that shows that in reality, most people know the EULAs are BS.

And at the end of it all, Nexus isn't even in the equation because whether mods belong to the modders or the game-creators / companies, it doesn't belong to them. They're not a licensee of either the modder or the company and until they are, all this shit is a hustle. Plenty of aggregation servies exist, and all of them are free. Ie reddit, steam curators, fucking youtube modlist videos but somehow Nexus is speshul.

It's hilarious that your own link states that the mod is copyright infringement.

One way that video game producers have attempted to make clear that they own the rights to user mods created through the video game’s software is through disclaimers, such as the one included in Nintendo’s Super Mario Maker. These disclaimers seem to cut off any potential future copyright claims that Nintendo used their content without permission.

Ultimately, these disclaimers that players agree to while creating content will probably be enforced by courts and limit any potential claims of copyright for gamers. A more interesting question is who owns the copyright of content created in a game using third-party software. Both sides would have at least a partial claim; the game producer made the backbone while the gamer made the specific mod. In the end, it seems very similar to the Microsoft Paint example mentioned earlier. However, cases such as Micro Star v. FormGen Inc., 154 F.3d 1107 (1998) seem to suggest that courts consider user-generated works as derivative content belonging to the copyright owner. This case does not fit the situation of content-created with third party software exactly, so there may be some space for such content to be considered owned by its creator.

The EULA in most cases allows mods, but it doesn't grant ownership to your mod to you. There are pre-emptive provisions that declare you have no legal rights to any mod you make. As a mod maker, I ran into this firsthand. I was part of a CK2 modding group that split apart. My original mod was merged into a collaborative effort. There was a split in the team and other members wanted to use my original mod. It went to the company for moderation. The company said you don't have any legal rights to your mod as we allow you to mod out of our goodwill. Thus, the other group could still use my code and I could use theirs.
''We own, you can't sue us, you can be banned any time, we fucked your mom etc'' EULAs themselves are only valid on a case by case basis. As I said before, waiving every type of recourse is often illegal in many places.

Your own quote states that both sides would probably have a partial claim. The case is silent on user generated content made with 3rd party software, which most Skyrim mods are. Models are often made in Blender and Textures in PS or Gimp.

And finally, if its NOT the user but the company that owns mods, how does that help out NexusMods? Its neither the user nor the company. If Bethesda themselves were so sure that the mods were theirs, why don't they cut Nexus out of the picture and milk the mods themselves? Whoever owns these mods, its not the Nexus and its Nexus that's trying to act like it does, and its Nexus that has the least (to put it lightly) rights to them. Does youtube own youtuber's videos? Instagram own its users pictures? All no but you believe their new-age hustle-logic and want everyone else to indulge in the same fantasy.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

''We own, you can't sue us, you can be banned any time, we fucked your mom etc'' EULAs themselves are only valid on a case by case basis. As I said before, waiving every type of recourse is often illegal in many places.

Your own quote states that both sides would probably have a partial claim. The case is silent on user generated content made with 3rd party software, which most Skyrim mods are. Models are often made in Blender and Textures in PS or Gimp.

And finally, if its NOT the user but the company that owns mods, how does that help out NexusMods? Its neither the user nor the company. If Bethesda themselves were so sure that the mods were theirs, why don't they cut Nexus out of the picture and milk the mods themselves? Whoever owns these mods, its not the Nexus and its Nexus that's trying to act like it does, and its Nexus that has the least (to put it lightly) rights to them. Does youtube own youtuber's videos? Instagram own its users pictures? All no but you believe their new-age hustle-logic and want everyone else to indulge in the same fantasy.

If the modder is making things from an established IP like some total conversions they don't even own that. The copyright owner of said IP owns it.

I never said anything about Nexus. My position is that the modders use it for free and Nexus is a buisiness. They have to pay for that storage, servers, and employees somehow. Are you adverse to companies being able to operate on cash or do you expect them to run on slavery?

You keep doing invalid comparisons. A picture you own as you took it. Making a mod based on an established IP and using someone else's game is not the same. Even if it's wholly original and you put it into someone else's game you don't own the mod itself, but you do own the entire IP behind it.

Parabalus

Arcane
I never said anything about Nexus. My position is that the modders use it for free and Nexus is a buisiness. They have to pay for that storage, servers, and employees somehow. Are you adverse to companies being able to operate on cash or do you expect them to run on slavery?

Meanwhile the modders themselves are being readily enslaved by Nexus, and you cheer it on.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
If the modder is making things from an established IP like some total conversions they don't even own that. The copyright owner of said IP owns it.

You keep doing invalid comparisons. A picture you own as you took it. Making a mod based on an established IP and using someone else's game is not the same. Even if it's wholly original and you put it into someone else's game you don't own the mod itself, but you do own the entire IP behind it.
Your links and my links and everything else says on the question of ''who owns mods?'' is unsettled. I'm saying this for the umpteenth time, its not known, because no court has ruled on it and no law has spoken on it. Rockstar doesn't own Marvel character mods for GTA, CA doesn't own Warhammer mods for Total War, Paradox doesn't own GoT mods for their grand strategy games. They don't own original work either, they just claim to. And in law claiming a right and having one are entirely different.

If Nexus needs an $8 subscription to keep servers, up, I'd say they're just nickel and diming users of a site which already runs ads and anyone defending their begging to be retarded.

And I keep asking you this, even if the mods don't belong to the modders, how do they belong to Nexus?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh jesus christ, I'm not talking about gaming, I'm talking about all of life. About consumerism. About enabling an entity like Nexus to continue profiting off advertisements while you get no royalty. Nexus is a business. And it's playing dirty tactics (legal ones, obviously).

Don't be myopic. On one side, the fucking modders. On the other, the business. And all the other businesses that Nexus pushed aside. Which is why Deadlystream and ModDB will probably be there quite fine for modding whatever happens to Nexus.

This applies to everything, not just gaming. Unless you think AAA publishers are magicians who got successful... Well, they used you.

You don't get to earn royalties when you are using someone else's property without license. You cannot earn money as it's not your property. Lawyers have repeatedly said that when you use someone else's product to make a mod you have no ownership to said mod. The company that does allow mods does so out of the kindness of their hearts.

Yet Nexus can freely earn their ad money. Hail corporate.

The amount of Big Corp bootlickers here is really off the charts.

They even increased prices less than a month ago, and killed lifetime subscriptions - how more obvious can the cash grab get?

Yes because making money is evil. Do you work for free?

That's fine and all, just don't fall for their propaganda and treat it as a good thing.

1. Yes, stupid because they're a business and businesses make money. Did any of the modders pay to host their mods onto Nexus' property? No. Do the modders own their mods? No. Did any of the modders own any of the servers? No. So as a business Nexus has to cover the costs of being in business. That means memberships, ads, and links. Are you so adamant that companies turn into non-profits and their employees slaves? Because that's what you are saying.

2. Do you work for free?

Exactly, Nexus is a business, everything it does is to bring profit to its owners.

Why praise their profit driven move as somehow good for mod consooomers in the long run?

profit driven moves can be good for consumers

see: when a company lowers unit price to sell more units

or a gazillion other examples

in this case however, it also kicks insane modders in the nuts while preventing them from removing important mods in mod daisy chains in fits of drama queen idiocy

oh happy day

Meanwhile the modders themselves are being readily enslaved by Nexus, and you cheer it on.

:hahano:

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Is that why Nexus cuts checks to modders based on the number of downloads? You're an idiot and I say that respectfully.

Your links and my links and everything else says on the question of ''who owns mods?'' is unsettled. I'm saying this for the umpteenth time, its not known, because no court has ruled on it and no law has spoken on it. Rockstar doesn't own Marvel character mods for GTA, CA doesn't own Warhammer mods for Total War, Paradox doesn't own GoT mods for their grand strategy games. They don't own original work either, they just claim to. And in law claiming a right and having one are entirely different.

If Nexus needs an $8 subscription to keep servers, up, I'd say they're just nickel and diming users of a site which already runs ads and anyone defending their begging to be retarded.

And I keep asking you this, even if the mods don't belong to the modders, how do they belong to Nexus?

Nexus isn't claiming that they own the mods and never have. They are saying that the mods are using their servers, employees, etc... and are taking all the financial risks. What exactly is the modder putting on the line? They've not financially contributing to Nexus. However, what really shoots your argument down is that they pay modders out of what they take in based upon the amount of downloads.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are viable alternatives to Nexus including ModDB and others.

There are games that have a Moddb site but no Nexus site, like the Total War series. It just so happens that the Nexus hosts mods for the most popular games out there, which naturally leads to more traffic.

And if you google "[insert game] mods" you will either get Nexus or Moddb as the first google result depending on what game it is.

Parabalus

Arcane

There are games that have a Moddb site but no Nexus site, like the Total War series. It just so happens that the Nexus hosts mods for the most popular games out there, which naturally leads to more traffic.

And if you google "[insert game] mods" you will either get Nexus or Moddb as the first google result depending on what game it is.

So if you want to make mods for the most popular games out there, you can't avoid giving Nexus its cut.

The mob called, they're jealous of Nexus' business model.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

So if you want to make mods for the most popular games out there, you can't avoid giving Nexus its cut.

The mob called, they're jealous of Nexus' business model.

Except that you can, it just so happens that the major mod communities congregated around certain websites for whatever reason. Convenience most likely.

The Total War mod community is centered on the totalwarcenter forums, which is a classical forum like RPG Codex. They don't have an integrated upload functionality, so modders there used to just upload wherever. Many old links are now dead because the filehosters are defunct, and a recent preservation effort caused people to reupload old mods to ModDB because that's a major mod hosting site with a pretty reliable track record.

The Neverwinter Nights mod community used to be hosted on the now defunct Neverwinter Vault hosted by IGN. When IGN took down its hosted mod sites, fans created a site rip and migrated everything to their own website. So now the only place where NWN mods are hosted centrally is https://neverwintervault.org/

The Thief modding community, in which I am somewhat active in (got a few released fan missions under my belt), is centered around the TTLG forums and several central hosting sites have popped up and died out over the 20 years of Thief modding. My go-to download site for fan missions is http://www.taffersparadise.co.uk/ but there are plenty of others, too. There are AT LEAST three different sites that host user-made objects and textures map designers can use in their own maps: Targa's House of Thief Stuff, Christine's Screenshots, and the Thief Object Repository. There has been a move to upload everything to the Thief Object Repository in recent years, but those other two sites containing objects made by Targa and Christine respectively, still exist too. Both authors are totally fine with their stuff being mirrored on the Object Repository btw. And central fan mission download sites like taffersparadise collect every fan mission ever made, they're not uploaded by the authors themselves but by the site's host. Mission authors upload their mission on a free filehoster like MEGA, post the link in their release thread on TTLG, and a few days later it will pop up on taffersparadise, archived for eternity. That's how it works and nobody has ever complained about it.

Of course, any modder can upload his stuff elsewhere if he wants.
For example, there are several Total War mods created by foreign communities that don't have official threads on TWCenter. Plenty of Russian mods, some Chinese, a few German. Finding them is a bit harder, especially the Russian ones that don't have download links outside of Russian forums (hope you can read Cyrillic bro). But the modders don't mind: they create these mods for themselves and for the small community of their forums, and if people are really interested they will find the mods. I was REALLY into TW mods for a while and made accounts on Russian and Italian forums just to download obscure foreign mods for the games.
You can totally make a Thief fan mission and not announce its release on TTLG. That just makes it harder for people to find it (but eventually, it will be found and uploaded to taffersparadise). Same with making a Neverwinter Nights mod and not uploading it to the NWN Vault.

The Nexus isn't nearly as central as you think it is. It's the central hub for Bethesda games, which are among the most popular mod-friendly games in existence, and that's why it's so big. The Nexus started as Morrowind Nexus and Oblivion Nexus and only expanded to other games later. Bethesda games made it what it is, and the current discussion about the Nexus' new rules is also dominated by Skyrim and Fallout 4 modders. It just so happens that the Bethesda modding community picked the Nexus as their central modding archive to upload their stuff to, and things evolved naturally from there.

But once you start looking into the communities of other heavily modded games, you will quickly find that there exists a massive modding world outside the Nexus.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Nexus isn't claiming that they own the mods and never have. They are saying that the mods are using their servers, employees, etc... and are taking all the financial risks. What exactly is the modder putting on the line? They've not financially contributing to Nexus. However, what really shoots your argument down is that they pay modders out of what they take in based upon the amount of downloads.
My argument isn't shot down because Nexus has no business using files that are not theirs to make profit, whether modders get a cut or not. If they have a BS caluse in their TOS that says modders sign over their distribution rights or give them license, then that's legally questionable as well for reasons earlier discussed ie (a) who owns them is not certain and (b) waiving rights is suspect. In fact given your own insistence that the mods belong to Bethesda, Nexus could be unlawfully profiting from Bethesda's work (as well as making modders party to it) and that's dangerous even to ultrachads like Nexus.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Of course, any modder can upload his stuff elsewhere if he wants.

The Nexus isn't nearly as central as you think it is. .

But once you start looking into the communities of other heavily modded games, you will quickly find that there exists a massive modding world outside the Nexus.
This isn't news to anyone who's played games that don't have mods hosted on Nexus. The Age of Empires series, Total Wars, Factorio, HoMM series, Mount and Blade series all wisely stay clear of Nexus. But it doesn't excuse Nexus being anti-consumer, especially when other big companies rightfully get torn a new one when they pull shit like this.

Ehrenmann

I only ever used Nexus for games made by bethesda anyway. I feel like most games' mod communities are centered around Moddb.

Codex Year of the Donut
Arthmoor said:
Ya'll can go ahead and get the accusations of hypocrisy over with for the work I will be leaving here since I am in a position at the moment where the income generated through DPs is providing enough to keep me from starving to death (but not much more).

Fucking Called It.

I am patiently awaiting Arthmoor's response.. Nexus actually pays out money to modders now based on Download counts and that's really all Arthmoor cares about so I'm wondering if he's going.. to.. actually.. put all his mods on ModDB in protest..? :lol:

Every Modder out there claiming Arthmoor would pull his stuff, using his famous patch fix mods as a guillotine over Nexus to Fight their little crusade.. :lol:
(He even calls it out, knowing his crew of deranged modder friends are gonna bash him for not holding the line - Arthmoor is the original Prima Dona)

At the end of the day though, Arthmoor cares only about money.
All his Pro-Creative rights preaching is just backwards rationalizations from "how can I monetize my mods"

To be fair, he removed a few smaller things but anything of note he's leaving up it seems.
Most of his smaller mods are also extremely easy to replicate. Every void that he leaves just opens it up for another non-crazy modder to fill. I think his Parthanux Dilemna mod would take maybe an afternoon to reproduce.

This is going to allow new faces to rise up who have no issues with Nexus policy.

:incline:

EDIT:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/oy4ft5/arthmoor_removing_most_of_his_mods_from_nexus/

RedditUserA said:
I knew he'd wait until the last day to make the largest shitstorm possible.

RedditUserB said:
He also made sure to exract as much $$ as possible from the Nexus before leaving.

RedditUserC said:
Pretty crazy to expect upholding of legal rights when he filed a false DMCA-claim out of spite.

RedditUserD said:
Arthmoor has intentionally dealt in lies and misinformation to oppose Wabbajack and other forms of modlist creation for years now, and now that he's finally lost that battle, he's taking his ball and going home. Of course he made sure to stay on the Nexus until the last possible moment for that sweet, sweet DP.

RedditUserE said:
Starfield will be nice without having his idiot self around.

RedditUserF said:
Oh well. (sic.) Time for others to take his place and hopefully they aren’t as angry and sad as he has always been.

:lol:
his most famous mod isn't even his mod, it's a community effort. He shouldn't even be getting any money from it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Is that why Nexus cuts checks to modders based on the number of downloads?

The merciful Nexus owners throw crumbs at the people off whose labour they get rich. Don't you get tired of simping for Big Mod?

The Nexus isn't nearly as central as you think it is. It's the central hub for Bethesda games, which are among the most popular mod-friendly games in existence, and that's why it's so big.

Compare unique users of ModDB to Nexus, the first is barely a blip.

Again, that's fine and all for Nexus, they're a corp, but people here cheering on massive centralisation and cash grabs is beyond the pale.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Again, that's fine and all for Nexus, they're a corp, but people here cheering on massive centralisation and cash grabs is beyond the pale.

Most people cheering here are celebrating egotistical modders getting their ego cutdown to size.

I've still not seen a single explanation other than extremely unlikely legal hypotheticals or 'muh corp' bitching as to why it's a bad thing that modders with a god complex can't delete all their work on a whim.

mogwaimon

Magister
And no, its not Nexus' plot and that's the problem. Its Bethesda's plot, ie Bthesda's games are the platform for the mods. And Nexus wants to cash in on guiding people to something that's not theirs'. Same as if a steam curator wanted money for his services despite not owning steam nor the games he curates.

The land Nexus is lending in the amendment to the analogy you made is their server space, you dense fuck. You could make the argument that they're getting paid to aggregate mods but the fact of the matter is that they more than likely have to pay massive amounts of cash just to keep the servers running, you see this problem all the time even with websites that don't store a lot of raw data. Hell the Codex just had a donation drive to keep the forums up and we don't even have the ability to upload jpgs on our posts because that would be too much data for the server to handle in the long run, imagine how much more cash it takes to store and transfer hundreds of terabytes of mods.

Next we should start a crusade against Mega as a file hoster, because it has the gall to charge like 7 bucks a month if you want to bypass their 5GB per day download limit. They're profiting off of all the poor people who choose to upload files to their servers of their own free will, so they're obviously a terrible company and should be burned to the ground.

:deathclaw: okay that's enough Codex for today, gentlemen.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
The land Nexus is lending in the amendment to the analogy you made is their server space, you dense fuck. You could make the argument that they're getting paid to aggregate mods but the fact of the matter is that they more than likely have to pay massive amounts of cash just to keep the servers running, you see this problem all the time even with websites that don't store a lot of raw data. Hell the Codex just had a donation drive to keep the forums up and we don't even have the ability to upload jpgs on our posts because that would be too much data for the server to handle in the long run, imagine how much more cash it takes to store and transfer hundreds of terabytes of mods.

Next we should start a crusade against Mega as a file hoster, because it has the gall to charge like 7 bucks a month if you want to bypass their 5GB per day download limit. They're profiting off of all the poor people who choose to upload files to their servers of their own free will, so they're obviously a terrible company and should be burned to the ground.
Nexus runs ads you fucking retard. And if if they're the only site that needs a minimum $8 a month from hundreds or even thousands of users to do what sites like ModDB and Mediafire do for free, then you can join it in its fantasy economy land. A quick DDG search shows hosting with 100TB bandwidth : https://www.100tb.com as costing $115 per month. I don't know whether it amounts to 100TB of storage, but other hosting providers provide unlimited / unmetered storage with cheap plans as well. A donation drive is different from a hustle, which Nexus is doing. Maybe a mod / admin or someone experienced with hosting can chime in? I don't think Nexus would require so much money for server tax when moddb requires none, and doesn't try to new-age-economics its way into saying it does.

Anyone can charge what they want, within legal limits, and anyone dumb enough can get played into paying those charges. All I ask is not to pretend its for some greater good.

mogwaimon

Magister
....Mediafire ALSO offers services for premium pricing in addition to running ads. And the free version automatically deletes all your files if you don't log into it for a couple years so it's not great for long term archival either.

ModDB doesn't appear to offer a premium service, which is good. I don't much care for premium services, IMO, I prefer free.

What I don't understand is why Mediafire suddenly gets a pass while Nexus does exactly the same thing? The only difference is that Nexus is saying you can't delete files once you upload them. That's it. They're not trying to assert ownership of the mods themselves, they're not enslaving anyone, they're not forcing modders to upload to their site or not upload at all. They don't prevent users from downloading mods for free, people are still free to download as much as they want from the site albeit at a slower speed. So...what's the issue here, again?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
- Nexus sells premium accounts that allow faster downloads; you can still download everything at regular speed with a normal account
- Nexus pays some money to modders whose mods are very popular, in order to encourage their work (because that's what makes people pay for premium accounts)
- that makes the Nexus the only place where modders get anything for their mods, while still keeping the mods free to download for regular users
- the new no-deletion policy makes sure people who like to play mods can download a mod forever, it will never vanish from the internet because of modder drama

But BOO HOO this is TERRIBLE because MUH CORPORATIONS

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Because being able to take something down is a fundamental element of online privacy and property rights (who owns what you uploaded regardless). Nexus needn't claim any other right other than the right to keep it up, and that's still a loss for anyone uploading there. Someone always keeping something you uploaded, however sanitized was is still a very bad idea from any kind of rights perspective. The question is why they shouldn't have that right but why they should. And why should they? Because the uploaded material is in a legal grey area? I'd like to see how they respond to their first DMCA takedown notice.

If you want to archive something, archive it yourself. No one is obligated to keep free content up for you. Buy an external HDD, a pendrive or use fucking google drive, which is free up to 15GB. Its still easier than pushing this off the slippery slope into hosting sites wanting to keep your files for millennial economics experiments.

Codex Year of the Donut
Because being able to take something down is a fundamental element of online privacy and property rights (who owns what you uploaded regardless). Nexus needn't claim any other right other than the right to keep it up, and that's still a loss for anyone uploading there. Someone always keeping something you uploaded, however sanitized was is still a very bad idea from any kind of rights perspective. The question is why they shouldn't have that right but why they should. And why should they? Because the uploaded material is in a legal grey area? I'd like to see how they respond to their first DMCA takedown notice.

If you want to archive something, archive it yourself. No one is obligated to keep free content up for you. Buy an external HDD, a pendrive or use fucking google drive, which is free up to 15GB. Its still easier than pushing this off the slippery slope into hosting sites wanting to keep your files for millennial economics experiments.
They have a right to not take it down because you agreed to give it to them in exchange for them letting you put your shit on their servers.

If you want to host something, host it yourself. No one is obligated to host free content for you.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Because being able to take something down is a fundamental element of online privacy and property rights (who owns what you uploaded regardless).

You're not uploading private photos of yourself or something. You're uploading a creative work intended to contribute to a thriving mod community.

You can't take back published books either, or stories you contributed to a magazine or anthology.

By uploading to the Nexus, you are agreeing to what is essentially a publishing contract that grants the Nexus the right of offering download links to your work in perpetuity. Just like a book publisher would get the right to print your story in perpetuity after paying you 5 bucks for it (seriously, some tiny hobbyist small press publishers don't pay more than that - and that's okay, everyone who submits to them knows it beforehand and can choose not to submit if they're not okay with any of the terms).

If you don't like the terms, you can upload your mod anywhere else on the internet. Just like if you've written a short story, you don't have to send it to a magazine or anthology, you can put it up on Amazon Kindle Direct as a self-publisher.
Of course, barely anyone is going to know your story exists if you do that, but that's the tradeoff you have to deal with.

With mods, it's literally a non-issue because if you make mods for the fame and absolutely require a lot of people to see yours, you're modding for all the wrong reasons. Good riddance.
Modding is a hobby performed for the fun of it, and to contribute to a community that loves the game as much as you do. Usually, everyone in the community shares assets among each other so future projects can do even better things with less work required.
If you care about you "property rights" (lol), create your own original works instead of making mods, and fuck off from the modding community. Attitudes like that just pollute it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom