Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

I can absolutely see the juvinile smoothbrains who mod Bethesda games doing this.
And now people will correlate "Trans-FInancial-Man" as someone who uses insults such as "juvenile smoothbrains." (This is a public forum)

Except you can delete it.

None of what you said is or ever will be my problem. If some kid was dumb enough to post potentially libelous things ten plus years ago they've had a whole ten years to delete that. Kids in general shouldn't be posting their edgy school shooter maps on the Nexus anyway. Again, personal responsibilty. Do you need a Twitter mob to tell you to wipe your arse and wash yourself everyday?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I can absolutely see the juvinile smoothbrains who mod Bethesda games doing this.
And now people will correlate "Trans-FInancial-Man" as someone who uses insults such as "juvenile smoothbrains." (This is a public forum)

None of what you said is or ever will be my problem. If some kid was dumb enough to post potentially libelous things ten plus years ago they've had a whole ten years to delete that. Kids in general shouldn't be posting their edgy school shooter maps on the Nexus anyway. Again, personal responsibilty. Do you need a Twitter mob to tell you to wipe your arse and wash yourself everyday?
It's. An. Example.

You think your life will be 100% perfect without making mistakes? You think that this scenario is isolated and atomized, just like every issue for some reason? Unless you're compartmentalizing so perfectly well that this mindset does not show in other places...

Even that won't help when you're drunk.

I presented a single example out of uncountable situations that you could be put in. If you wanna play the nitpick game, I'll give you a list of 1000 scenarios. How's about that?

It's. An. Example.

You think your life will be 100% perfect without making mistakes? You think that this scenario is isolated and atomized, just like every issue for some reason? Unless you're compartmentalizing so perfectly well that this mindset does not show in other places...

I presented a single example out of uncountable situations that you could be put in. If you wanna play the nitpick game, I'll give you a list of 1000 scenarios. How's about that?
You're playing the nitpick game by presenting an incredibly unlikely hyperthetical scenario and then overthinking it in order to excuse the behavior of people who are acting like visionary auteurs over game mods for a game that doesn't belong to them to begin with. Let me be clear, I don't care about Modders rights, I don't care that they posted an auchwitz mod years ago that looks bad to the SJW trannies they're trying to ingratiate themselves to. You are being incredibly stupid about mods. Your argument is silly. Nothing bad is going to happen to modders because their horse cock armour mod can't be removed from The Nexus. Move on.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nexus archiving the mods does not affect the end consumer in any way.
But what if a modder wants to get rid of a mod because he no longer wants his name/username associated with said mod? For example, to prevent a libel situation one just realized could happen.

If there's a mod of yours out there that contains potentially illegal content...

why the fuck did you release it in the first place?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

It's. An. Example.

You're playing the nitpick game by presenting an incredibly unlikely hyperthetical scenario and then overthinking it in order to excuse the behavior of people who are acting like visionary auteurs over game mods for a game that doesn't belong to them to begin with. Let me be clear, I don't care about Modders rights, I don't care that they posted an auchwitz mod years ago that looks bad to the SJW trannies they're trying to ingratiate themselves to. You are being incredibly stupid about mods. Your argument is silly. Nothing bad is going to happen to modders because their horse cock armour mod can't be removed from The Nexus. Move on.
It's not about the fucking mods. It's about fucking life in general. You can hate modders are you want but if you were self-aware, you're cocksucking the corporate world, just enabling them to keep taking and monopolizing resulting in shit like

The Nexus.

This is not "incredibly unlikely hyperthetical scenario." I was just seeing this kind of bullshit from another thread. This guy railing against Games Workshop not realizing he's advertising for Games Workshop by doing so. That is their game. You're playing into their hands. And this will happen again.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
But what if a modder wants to get rid of a mod because he no longer wants his name/username associated with said mod? For example, to prevent a libel situation one just realized could happen.

If there's a mod of yours out there that contains potentially illegal content...

Because after I aged and became more mature, I realized I made a mistake when I was a 15 year old modder and now I can't get rid of it.

The point of the example is that there are endless possibilities. If you can't see that, well, try being the malevolent actor and finding any single way to twist evidence to fuck the other guy over. Think as the criminal.

You are being so selfish right now. What about poor little Tim who released a doom mod containing a fully detailed map of his school that he used to simulate the school shooting he was going to do but backed away from. Despite releasing the mod on Filefront in 2007. He since grew up to become a respected game dev. Having made several cinematic cow clickers for mobile that really advanced the medium of games played whilst on the shitter. But one of his socially active friends found out that he made a doom mod. And he put the Imps on the basketball court. Which is where the black people hang out. And by god that was so racist of 12 year old Tim. All of that could've been avoided if Tim was allowed to delete his mod off of Filefront before his cripple-kin furry alt-gender friend could cancel him. Why won't you think of that specific scenario I just came up with in my head you horrible cunt?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Because after I aged and became more mature, I realized I made a mistake when I was a 15 year old modder and now I can't get rid of it.

The point of the example is that there are endless possibilities. If you can't see that, well, try being the malevolent actor and finding any single way to twist evidence to fuck the other guy over. Think as the criminal.

So you're against personal responsibility and being an adult. That's called being a child.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

So you're against personal responsibility and being an adult. That's called being a child.
That's the point. These are children. When they grow up and become an adult, they learn personal responsibility but can't take back what they did as a child.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

That's the point. These are children. When they grow up and become an adult, they learn personal responsibility but can't take back what they did as a child.

And growing is your prior works stand as is. It's the nature of creativity and growth. It's also a testament to you as a creative person that you are willing to learn. Sounds to me like you're a Gary Stu that wants to project a perfect life.

To tie it back to the topic at hand. When you release a mod into the wild you do so for the enjoyment of others or it should be. If you grow to not like that then you shouldn't remove the work you did. That's spiting your audience.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

And growing is your prior works stand as is. It's the nature of creativity and growth. It's also a testament to you as a creative person that you are willing to learn. Sounds to me like you're a Gary Stu that wants to project a perfect life.

To tie it back to the topic at hand. When you release a mod into the wild you do so for the enjoyment of others or it should be. If you grow to not like that then you shouldn't remove the work you did. That's spiting your audience.
That's not the point. The point is when others use it against you in a legal situation, secondly that Nexus continues to profit of you (advertisements & affiliates are how websites make money).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

And anyone who would judge a child's silly mod as if it had been made by an adult is a retard and should not be taken seriously.

Every court of law in civilized countries only sees you as fully responsible once you hit 18.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

That's not the point. The point is when others use it against you in a legal situation, secondly that Nexus continues to profit of you (advertisements & affiliates are how websites make money).

I don't believe that the government can use it against you when you haven't committed any crimes.

I would argue that you are using Nexus as a platform and don't pay them for the service. It's a fair exchange when they generate money through ads, affiliates, and memberships. Keep in mind that as a modder for a published product that you don't own isn't yours at all. You have no legal claim to your work since it's an unauthorized derivative work. Another words you're engaging in copyright theft. Shall you continue with your line of thinking?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Also people on the internet tend to use usernames, not their real name.

Maybe you can just change usernames if you don't like your old mods. Nobody will know that you used to be ButtRaper666 a decade ago.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

And anyone who would judge a child's silly mod as if it had been made by an adult is a retard and should not be taken seriously.

Every court of law in civilized countries only sees you as fully responsible once you hit 18.

Besides, I'm sure the Nexus would remove something if there was a legal requirement.

mogwaimon

Magister
a scenario where someone gets sued for libel for a Skyrim mod from 10 years ago is laughable at best, it's the edge case of all edge cases and certainly not anywhere near common. Next you'll be saying 'but what if Todd Howard gets mad because of the sweet little lies memes and decides to sue all of the people who made shitty Todd memes in their Skyrim mods!?' as if that'll actually happen and, if it did, it wouldn't get laughed out of court. you can't just sue for libel just because someone says something that hurts your fee-fees, I would think. you'd have to demonstrate substantial and actual damages and link it directly to said mod.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Oh jesus christ, I'm not talking about gaming, I'm talking about all of life. About consumerism. About enabling an entity like Nexus to continue profiting off advertisements while you get no royalty. Nexus is a business. And it's playing dirty tactics (legal ones, obviously).

Don't be myopic. On one side, the fucking modders. On the other, the business. And all the other businesses that Nexus pushed aside. Which is why Deadlystream and ModDB will probably be there quite fine for modding whatever happens to Nexus.

This applies to everything, not just gaming. Unless you think AAA publishers are magicians who got successful... Well, they used you.

Parabalus

Arcane
The amount of Big Corp bootlickers here is really off the charts.

They even increased prices less than a month ago, and killed lifetime subscriptions - how more obvious can the cash grab get?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

They even increased prices less than a month ago, and killed lifetime subscriptions - how more obvious can the cash grab get?

Yes because making money is evil. Do you work for free?

mogwaimon

Magister
so...then don't upload your mods to the Nexus? again, it's not the only game in town and if you don't agree with the Nexus then there are many other places to upload your mods from the aforementioned Deadlystream/ModDB to forums to Mega links, whatever you want. The users made the Nexus what it is, and the users can opt to move elsewhere, this isn't some sort of Facebook/Twitter situation.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Oh jesus christ, I'm not talking about gaming, I'm talking about all of life. About consumerism. About enabling an entity like Nexus to continue profiting off advertisements while you get no royalty. Nexus is a business. And it's playing dirty tactics (legal ones, obviously).

Don't be myopic. On one side, the fucking modders. On the other, the business. And all the other businesses that Nexus pushed aside. Which is why Deadlystream and ModDB will probably be there quite fine for modding whatever happens to Nexus.

This applies to everything, not just gaming. Unless you think AAA publishers are magicians who got successful... Well, they used you.

You don't get to earn royalties when you are using someone else's property without license. You cannot earn money as it's not your property. Lawyers have repeatedly said that when you use someone else's product to make a mod you have no ownership to said mod. The company that does allow mods does so out of the kindness of their hearts.

Parabalus

Arcane

You don't get to earn royalties when you are using someone else's property without license. You cannot earn money as it's not your property. Lawyers have repeatedly said that when you use someone else's product to make a mod you have no ownership to said mod. The company that does allow mods does so out of the kindness of their hearts.

Yet Nexus can freely earn their ad money. Hail corporate.

That's fine and all, just don't fall for their propaganda and treat it as a good thing.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Yet Nexus can freely earn their ad money. Hail corporate.

That's fine and all, just don't fall for their propaganda and treat it as a good thing.

1. Yes, stupid because they're a business and businesses make money. Did any of the modders pay to host their mods onto Nexus' property? No. Do the modders own their mods? No. Did any of the modders own any of the servers? No. So as a business Nexus has to cover the costs of being in business. That means memberships, ads, and links. Are you so adamant that companies turn into non-profits and their employees slaves? Because that's what you are saying.

2. Do you work for free?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Oh ffs. The company is not making money with superior goods and services. They are using other business strategy, dirty tactics. You are too busy worrying about the modder - who doesn't matter - that you are willing to aid companies in an economy where goods mean nothing, service is dominated by finance, profit means nothing unless profit is maximized.

You know what would be great? If social media decided that you could not delete things and then pointed to this situation as precedence.

And, no, you are not going to notice these things happening because you're not supposed to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom