Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

hexer

Yeah, prepare for a few hours of repetition if you ever plan on beating route A starting level on very hard.
I watched two streamers do it.. as I mentioned, one beat it after 5 and half hours, the other one after 9 and half hours!! Both of them played it blindly so I guess you could do it faster

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I tried beating route A on very hard the first time, but there is nothing that allows you to get used to the game's mechanics prior to facing the boss, so I kept dying to him only to have to sit through a bunch of flying and cut scenes just to try again. I kept thinking that dodge worked like Dark Soul's dodge, not realizing that you can basically just infinitely teleport inside enemies with no damage by repeatedly pushing the dodge button. It's a very bizarre mechanic that I didn't get the hang of until 1/3 of the way through the game, not because it's difficult to master, but just because it's so simple that I kept thinking that it had to be more complicated than it actually is.

At any rate, "Very Hard" is a poorly implemented difficulty setting, because it's not really a difficulty setting at all. It's just a forced no damage run. That said, I didn't find doing Route B on very hard to be all that difficult. The hardest part was one of the hacking minigames in the lockpicking sidequest. You can only get hit once in the minigames as well, and some are insanely hard.

hexer

I doubt we'll ever see a Platinum Games title that isn't produced for the casual player.
They always put in some mechanic that acts as a god mode, in this case the dodge.
Yes, you were right about not using it since essentially it was put there for casual gamers who are stuck

hexer

It seems a month ago, Square Enix played a theme song by Keiichi Okabe from FF XIV x Nier crossover during a stream.
There are voices in the recording unfortunately but holy crap!

YoRHA: Dark Apocalypse theme

hexer

Cool.
Begs me the question if we are gonna see more of 2B and 9S (and that other rogue android) and the androids in general.

I think we will!
If you upgrade to the 4th level for Emil Heads weapon you get info about what happens 500 years later, in year 12423.
Apparently, a copy of Emil encounters an android wearing black clothes and has a feeling he knows her from somewhere.
But he can't remember anything else about her..

hexer

Interesting, they inverted the colors. From what I read you can even play FF XIV completely solo with AI party members

EE5608hVUAEG7kW.jpg:large

hexer

A question for those that played Drakengard 3 and still remember. I forgot the details..

How exactly did that bastard flower get near Zero?
Did someone gift her a bouquet or the flower escaped from its prison and randomly picked her as the host?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Cool.
Begs me the question if we are gonna see more of 2B and 9S (and that other rogue android) and the androids in general.
Considering the timeskips so far in the series have been 1312 and 8584 years, I would be somewhat surprised if Taro went for a shorter difference and more returning characters this time...

hexer

Anything is possible, from what I've seen he's a fan of reversing and splitting the timeline in some way.
That is , medieval characters encounter modern ruins and say those are from the Old World.
And by Old World they're probably referring to the Nier timeline.
It's hard to see where he's going with it, we'll get more answers in future games, stage plays, novellas, mangas, etc.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
If there is a new game, it could just play on the other side of the earth, the side that is in permanent night-mode as opposed to the two previous games which were set on the day-side. It would allow Taro to create an entirely new setting that can hold merit on its own, while still enabling him to draw up references to the previous games. Taro doesn't really enjoy recurring characters all that much, and if they do appear they've transformed enough to barely resemble the character you thought you knew. Automatas Emil is just a side-kick and nothing more, with a few obscure references to the original game. Bringing back characters like A2, 2B or 9S seems like something he would only do for shock-value by having them show up and die within minutes of their appearance, or by changing them to barely be recognizable other than by name/appearance.

hexer

True, some new characters will probably be created for the new story.
I too am hoping we get to play in or at least visit the Kingdom of Night in the sequel.

BTW, I found the answer regarding Zero and the flower in the official novella
https://drakengard.fandom.com/wiki/Zero/Novella

The flower approached her as she was dying from a combination of disease and the punishment received for murdering/robbing innocents by the authority.
She was cursing the world, shouting how much she hates it before she died.
The flower, a part of a god Black Flower, probably liked that so he picked her as a host, resurrecting her.
Speaking of gods, I'm in the camp that believes Queen-beast = Zero.
It's interesting , gods in Yoko's world hate and want to end humanity

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom