Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 announced for PC/PS4/XBO

Puukko

Arcane
US only, fuck.

Visperas

Augur
I usually play all games in its original version, I played Nioh 2 and Sekiro in Japanese, but I'm seeing a lot of stuff about the English VO actors and stuff. Should I play this in English or Japanese? Also, is there a lot of important dialogue while fighting? If so, I might go with English 'cause I don't want to read subs when smacking mobs in the face.

ADL

Prophet
Automata has better JP voice direction but I can't imagine playing the original without Kaine+Emil's voice actors in English.
Nier in English
Automata in Japanese would be my recommendation

Puukko

Arcane
I generally lean towards the original language but with Nier/Drakengard English fits well imo. You do get more out of the characters'... personalities when you actually understand what they're saying. From what I remember there is quite a bit of dialogue during fights, yeah.

yellowcake

Arcane
Both english dubs are fantastic. Play in english. Besides there is often lot of text to read during action scenes and if you dont understand the language you are missing on experience.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
If you play warcraft avoid the english dub. Illidan are Jaina are there.

ADL

Prophet
Listened to the soundtrack this morning. Not a fan of every rearrangement but there's more hits than misses and that's good enough for me. What's unforgivable though is removing the "tribal drums" and changing the metal clanking motif of Wretched Automatons so it doesn't match the sound in Wretched Weaponry. The fuck was Okabe thinking?

At least Shadowlord is still GOAT-tier

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
As others have said before me, Nier is one of those games (both Automata and the OG Nier) where a lot of exposition and dialogue happens during fights. As Automata and the remaster are a lot more fast paced, I think it would be difficult to follow the conversation and plot with japanese VA if you do not understand the language. The english version also has some incredible VA through and through, and while it might certainly seem weird to hear people like Illidan, Jaina or Baine when you're familiar with Warcraft VA, or Wesker from Resident Evil, I personally feel that their roles in this one are much better and more nuanced than the Warcraft ones in particular.

Judging by the OST, it seems they mostly tried to give more space to the live Orchestra they had available for the tracks this time around. A lot of them have benefitted greatly from that, while the somewhat heavier tracks definitely lost some oomph and will seem softened up - something which goes hand in hand with the less gritty/cleaner color mixing of the remake. The arrangement of each individual track is mindboggling awful however, with a few tracks startin with full on orchestra or the chorus, instead of slowly building up to it like they did in the original OST. Whoever mixed and arranged the OST deserves to be shot in the face.

ADL

Prophet
Port sounds acceptable given the context but I still hope someone can patch it up a little further.

Puukko

Arcane
I imagine forcing vsync via drivers or capping the framerate with some external tool would fix that. But yeah, I was expecting an okay port at best.

ADL

Prophet
If Automata is anything to go by, there will be a fan patch within a couple hours that fixes everything.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Honestly, hope not. After Automata, if this port is just as bad, I'd rather have people shit on it and refund so Square has to care this time unlike when everyone deflected it with Special K's mod then SE didn't live up to their announcement four years ago. If I wanted to go full nutcase, I'd go as far as to say their recent Automata announcement is also bs they're going to bury under the floorboards because of Replicant's convenient release timing.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll wait and see for myself how "bad" the port is... The two articles everyone is freaking out over say contradictory things.

Article 1. "There are no options for VSync or framerate limit, which is important because running it above 60fps [breaks the game]"

Article 2. "There are no options related to framerate, and it appears to be capped at 60fps."

:baka:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Theres no issues with the port from what I can tell. Sometimes the controller seems to lag out the game for a second or two, but that seems more related to steam than the game itself.

Besides that, running the game at a rate higher than 60fps is gonna cause animations to speed up, particularly noticeable when sprinting or riding boars. It also means some boss abilities are quite a bit harder to dodge. Locking the game to 60fps avoids that issue entirely. Besides that, no crashes or anything of the sort, and while there could and should be more graphical options, it's not the end of the world. Most cutscenes run 60fps unless they're not using the in-game engine, at which point it drops to 30.

It's one of the better if not one of the best pc "ports" they've done in a longass time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anything but the van...
upload_2021-4-23_19-44-0.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom