Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

cruel

Cipher
I finally beat the fucker. After 24 or 25 failed tries, I switched to heavy stance Odachi, and... won in first try :| And to make it more fun, this was first time ever I used an Odachi.

Either Odachi is super powerful, or Dual Swords suck extremely for this fight. Good thing that the game allows for such tactics change, because without this I would be done. Don't remember any boss giving me so much pain.

Thanks for the tips.

Hyperion

Arcane
Dual Swords were always my favorite, but feel much weaker this game, all around. Cherry Blossom was my bread and butter, but just doesn't do nearly the damage of the first game. I think it's expected to be the elemental weapon of the game, especially if Hideyoshi's Fire + Lightning swords make a return (they fucking better) at some point. Interestingly, they're the only weapon you NEED to do the dojo mission for to unlock all Guardian Spirits at the moment....

Odachi is incredibly powerful, and has the added bonus of its mid stance attacks not bouncing off an enemy's guard. Axe is the only other weapon that can do this. Odachi is also incredibly easy to use in the early game, while mastering it lets you weave in and out of flashy combos. Square-Square-Triangle im high stance once you pick up Twin Moons will kill most humans, small and even some medium Yokai in one combo, and is even extremely effective at horn breaking.

Alas I tried Tonfa, fell in love, and the Smithing Text for Gunsticks only drops from the Final Boss. :negative:

Heresiarch

Prophet
After beating Nioh 2, now I have an immense crave to replay Way of the Samurai 4.

While the story of Nioh 2 is ridiculous and dumb as fuck, by the end seeing it all over in a satisfying way actually makes me miss the game and loss my will to start the postgame. So might as well play some reeally ridiculous and reaaally dumb samurai hack and slash game...

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I got Nioh 1 for PC finally. Loved how fluid and fast the combat felt, but good god that loot system is horrible, and the level design is very dull.

cruel

Cipher
I'm level 60, 40h in game, started third region. To my surprise, the game is still introducing new enemy types at this point. It looks like Team Ninja really took complaints about enemy variety seriously.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
A little bit better than the first one, but they still have work to do. Sometimes it's very good (like Yami-no-Katsu mission), sometimes it's just meh - generic village. But I feel it offers much more shortcuts / different ways to tackle encounters now, so they are going in the right direction.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm level 60, 40h in game, started third region. Too my surprise, the game is still introducing new enemy types at this point. It looks like Team Ninja really took complaints about enemy variety seriously.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
That sounds great.

cruel

Cipher
OK, either there is something wrong with me, or something really bad starts to happen with this game around level 65-70 mark. Suddenly, the game transforms from 'challenging but fair' to 'cheap and tedious'. Half of the enemies are an ambush, the game fucks you by placing you in a very narrow passages fighting dangerous Yokai, ranged enemies everywhere, etc. Fighting Tesso (Yokai-Rat, new enemy type) in narrow passage - you fail reflex test for burst counter and he will OHKO you with spin2win move. Or the game will place a mini-boss with 4000+ hp, hidden behind a healing crystal, with two enemies firing cannons at you from above :/ I REALLY hope this is just temporary, the game was very good up until this point. Anybody had same impressions?

On the plus side - 50h in game and still new enemies are being introduced. Freaking rats.

Silverfish

Arbiter
giphy.gif

Mystary!

Arcane
OK, either there is something wrong with me, or something really bad starts to happen with this game around level 65-70 mark. Suddenly, the game transforms from 'challenging but fair' to 'cheap and tedious'. Half of the enemies are an ambush, the game fucks you by placing you in a very narrow passages fighting dangerous Yokai, ranged enemies everywhere, etc. Fighting Tesso (Yokai-Rat, new enemy type) in narrow passage - you fail reflex test for burst counter and he will OHKO you with spin2win move. Or the game will place a mini-boss with 4000+ hp, hidden behind a healing crystal, with two enemies firing cannons at you from above :/ I REALLY hope this is just temporary, the game was very good up until this point. Anybody had same impressions?

On the plus side - 50h in game and still new enemies are being introduced. Freaking rats.

It's mostly temporary and you can usually snipe the shooters before getting in to fights if you approach carefully. But it sucks if you die and have to do it all over again.

Mystary!

Arcane
I've played through the game and enjoyed iy a lot. I have no interest in farming in NG+ but I might replay with a different weapon because it seems to change the experience drastically.
I originally wanted to have a heavy weapon because I've only ever played the Souls game with Strength weapons, and I took a faster weapon for a back up.
Started with katana and switched between the Odachi and Axe because I couldn't decide which one I liked more.
But after several hours of never using the katana I just went with Axe and Odachi and towards the end I was only using the Axe, and more specifically in High stance, spamming Strong Attack. It cant be interupted and stuns/breaks yokai horns in one shot. It worked almost too well and trivialized many fights.
I never really struggled with being too slow, except for one boss fight, but it would be fun to try a quicker weapon to see the difference.
The boss fight I had the most trouble with was Shibata Katsuie (the boar guy).
I spent like two evenings trying to beat that guy without even getting him down to half and I completely lost hope.
But then suddenly it just clicked and I beat him almost without even getting hit myself.
I figured out that I had to stance switch between low when dodging and back to high when attacking. Simple thing but worked like a charm.

Jinn

Arcane
I've played through the game and enjoyed iy a lot. I have no interest in farming in NG+ but I might replay with a different weapon because it seems to change the experience drastically.

Judging from the first game, if you feel like playing more you might want to just go into NG+ and respec. Might be necessary to be well-prepared for any upcoming DLC.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Got 2 trophies left for the platinum. Standing on 109 hours played. I was kind of not interested in Nioh 2 and was going to wait for the PC version but ended up getting it. It's a great game but also a lazy (pre)sequel. It's more of the same. But it's exactly what I wanted. More of the same that plus Okuni's nice big titties are nice

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Judging from the first game, if you feel like playing more you might want to just go into NG+ and respec. Might be necessary to be well-prepared for any upcoming DLC.
Doesn't need to respec. Can just remodel a (+) weapon to scale of your main stat(mostly).

cruel

Cipher
Another shit boss - Azai Nagamasa. Instead of fighting him like a man, the game forces you to play like a pussy in one specific way only: bait, block, hit once or twice, repeat. And, of course, if you don't like / rarely use the new amazing Burst Counter mechanic - FUCK YOU in dark phase, because why not. Ech. Sloth talisman, here I go.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Another shit boss - Azai Nagamasa. Instead of fighting him like a man, the game forces you to play like a pussy in one specific way only: bait, block, hit once or twice, repeat. And, of course, if you don't like / rarely use the new amazing Burst Counter mechanic - FUCK YOU in dark phase, because why not. Ech. Sloth talisman, here I go.
I beat the shit out of him with my axe the whole time. High strong attack. He didn't stand a chance

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom