Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Elden Ring is without a doubt their most ambitious project. I heard they were developing it along side Sekiro, which would explain why that game felt so half-hearted and lazy (by From Software's standards). I have extremely high expectations for Elden Ring.
Which will also serve as an excuse for why Elden Ring will end up being half-hearted and lazy.
You somehow think that time and resources being divided between two projects means one ends up being "lazy" but the other will be deserving of all the positive adjectives in this world? Don't kid yourself.
Let me introduce you to our lord and savior, Bloodborne

Sentinel

Arcane
Elden Ring is without a doubt their most ambitious project. I heard they were developing it along side Sekiro, which would explain why that game felt so half-hearted and lazy (by From Software's standards). I have extremely high expectations for Elden Ring.
Which will also serve as an excuse for why Elden Ring will end up being half-hearted and lazy.
You somehow think that time and resources being divided between two projects means one ends up being "lazy" but the other will be deserving of all the positive adjectives in this world? Don't kid yourself.
Let me introduce you to our lord and savior, Bloodborne
Bloodborne didn't have its director staff split between two projects.
and bloodborne is pretty mediocre

SumDrunkGuy

Dark Souls 2 is one of the greatest sequels ever made and the "master mind" had nothing to do with it. I have 100% faith in these fucks. Also they clearly gave more shits about Elden Ring since they went out of their way to hire a famous writer and update the graphics engine.

Elden Ring was obviously the main priority. Sekiro seems like a personal Miyazaki project and it was fine. Miyazaki has proven to be just fine lately, but I often times wonder if he isn't hampering that entire creative team. I wonder if his fame is fucking shit up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverfish

Arbiter
The stances are counter-intuitive

What? High is more damage for more stamina consumed. Low is the inverse, and pretty good for applying status effects since you typically hit more quickly. Mid is boring, but practical (long range spear pokes, wide arcs for sword swings, that kind of thing). It couldn't be more intuitive.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

What? High is more damage for more stamina consumed. Low is the inverse, and pretty good for applying status effects since you typically hit more quickly. Mid is boring, but practical (long range spear pokes, wide arcs for sword swings, that kind of thing). It couldn't be more intuitive.

Don't bother.
I already gave him a detailed explanation of the stances purpose and how they improve the gameplay a while back in the first game's thread, but he still doesn't get it...

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

We agree to disagree. Move on.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Fair enough. While I like the stance system, I'd certainly be open to hearing what you'd prefer as an alternative.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fair enough. While I like the stance system, I'd certainly be open to hearing what you'd prefer as an alternative.

No stances, no Ki pulses and less flashy moves without physics behind them.

Anyway my opinion is irrelevant. Play the game and enjoy it.

Silverfish

Arbiter
No stances, no Ki pulses and less flashy moves without physics behind them.

Lords-of-the-Fallen

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stances are great, sadly I've never really learned the whole "switch stances all the time to replenish stamina" schtick. That was one complexity layer too many for me.

That said I'm far from saying stances and Ki pulses are an essential requirement for a great game. Of course not. Lords of the Fallen is a great example - a very solid Souls-like with moments of greatness. I absolutely love this game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So anyone playing Nioh 2 and is far enough? How do all the changes feel in general? All for the better, hit and miss, everything is shit?

Hyperion

Arcane
So anyone playing Nioh 2 and is far enough? How do all the changes feel in general? All for the better, hit and miss, everything is shit?
Guardian Spirits and Yokai Shift are more or less the same.

Burst Counters are hit and miss - some enemy abilities are too quick for the Brute Counter to interrupt without trading. No amount of superhuman reflexes will save you. Others have a pretty extensive delay, which allow ample time for a Brute Counter, while Feral and Phantom allow you to continue your onslaught for a few seconds, only to animation cancel at the final instant. Really fucks with timing since muscle memory is often linked to you getting the fuck out of Dodge ASAP. It's going to take me a very, VERY long time to unlearn what kept me alive in the first.

Enemy grapples (the black smoke ones) are absolutely brutal, and most have a DS1 -> DS2 improvement in tracking. I would say 90% of my deaths have been from that.

Yokai Abilities were improved and hit pretty hard now. They also animation cancel just like Burst Counters, and now reduce an enemy's Ki permanently. They're great for lengthy battles, like a boss where you're expected to break them multiple times. Plus they consume no Ki, so when you're in a Dark Realm with reduced Ki Regen, they make for a great substitute for a High Stance attack that lets you add one last hit to your combo. With a certain talent, they even clear Yokai Pools when you use them. Some of them, like Ippon-datara are phenomenal at applying elemental status effects.

Finally, the Switchglaive has ruined all other weapons for me. At the start of the game it was pretty much complete horseshit, but once the stance switching attacks are unlocked it takes off like a thoroughbred. It is quite technical however, and requires proper Max Pulsing and Fluxing to make the most of it. But it's so smooth, its attacks so fluid that I can't use anything else. It also pretty much everything from stance switching to parries (i havent gotten the timing down right, but its not as good as The Shrike for sure), to an Iai Strike that can be chained into a High Stance attack, then stance switched into a combo, to a mini-Water Sword, Ki draining onslaught that gets a strong attack finisher.

Hyperion

Arcane
Any non-Switchglaive weapons with magic based scaling (like Raikiri in the first game)?
Dual Hatchets have some inherent magic scaling as a tertiary stat I think. I haven't gotten far enough to get a weapon with Change to Attack Magic, I just finished the second region.

The Samurai and Shiftling trees have skills you can spend points on to add extra scaling to specifoc attacks. So I can add Magic scaling to Cherry Blossom, or God of Wind the attacks I use most with Dual Katanas. Or an Element to Water Sword so I can get either get extra ele damage or a second element

cruel

Cipher
There are moments when I really want to throw my controller at the wall or something. Dark Realm can be really brutal - not only your stamina regen sucks, but some of those new Yokai demons can really wreck you (talking about this freaking Monkey, Enki mostly). Game is much harder than Sekiro in my opinion, no comparison so far. Maybe it will change later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom