Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

SumDrunkGuy

I thought the first game was kind of meh so unless this is leaps and bounds better I'll just skip it. If From Software isn't the one making these types of games I generally find them to be pretty bland. No body else does it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Nioh focus is the combat and enemy. That they excel. It's on level design and on the other aspects relating to this they fail but From excel at. Although ever since Bloodborne From seems to be focusing more and more on their action.

SumDrunkGuy

Nioh focus is the combat and enemy. That they excel. It's on level design and on the other aspects relating to this they fail but From excel at. Although ever since Bloodborne From seems to be focusing more and more on their action.

Which is rather unfortunate. While I absolutely love and worship Bloodborne I think they went a little too far into action with Sekiro. I still enjoyed it but the longevity just wasn't there. Since 2009 it's the only From Software game I haven't finished. I have played through all the others multiple times.

deuxhero

Arcane

Which is rather unfortunate. While I absolutely love and worship Bloodborne I think they went a little too far into action with Sekiro. I still enjoyed it but the longevity just wasn't there. Since 2009 it's the only From Software game I haven't finished. I have played through all the others multiple times.

「アナザーセンチュリーズエピソード アール」は楽しいですか?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I thought the first game was kind of meh so unless this is leaps and bounds better I'll just skip it. If From Software isn't the one making these types of games I generally find them to be pretty bland. No body else does it as well.
Did you play it or just watch it? I thought it was meh after watching a LP. Then I got it, played it and had a blast.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Supposedly Elden Ring will return to the old form and go far beyond, but I am skeptical. Still, even halting the bleeding would be progress at this point.

SumDrunkGuy

Did you play it or just watch it? I thought it was meh after watching a LP. Then I got it, played it and had a blast.

I did play it. The combat was good, and every thing else sucked. Like all Souls clones it gets one or two things right and then just fucks off.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Watched some vids of this, disappointed that the graphics seemingly haven't been improved at all. Still looks like this game was made 6+ years ago.

If they manage to improve the level design, they'll pretty much have created the perfect sequel and Sekiro killer.

this game looks nothing like sekiro. If anything it seems like a budget dark souls

is there something stopping them from going back and just making new ninja gaiden games? those games were the shit!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The combat was good, and every thing else sucked.

The enemy design and bosses were good as well. The levels were for the most part mediocre but there was a few nice ones, the dlc's were pretty good.

this game looks nothing like sekiro.

It's not suposed to look like sekiro, it's supposed to be better than it. Which the first game already was gameplay wise.

EDIT:
But Team Ninja really should port Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma and Ninja Gaiden 2 for PC already

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nioh 1 visuals were fine but yeah, the game did look like a blast from the past. The sequel is a tiny bit better but it's obviously the same engine.

But after reading what an unholy clusterfuck the development of the OG was I fully understand they wanted the sell the same game twice to recoup their costs. Selling the same assets multiple times, only rearranged a bit, is a standard practice now that games are so expensive to make.

cruel

Cipher
Played the game for 2h or so. Overall, it's exactly what we expected - possibly closer to Nioh 1.5 than Nioh 2 (not necessarily a bad thing). It seems they fixed enemy variety, level design also looks decent with typical shortcuts. I feel that the game is easier than the beta, died only 3 times during first two hours.

The only annoying thing for me so far is how they try to force this Burst Counter crap. I don't want to bet my fight on a quick reflex-based QTE like this, never. Fortunately, typical Yokai can be still beaten just using skill, without relying on that. But I just don't get what's the point of this.

Soul core mechanic seems interesting though - you can use some of the powers from your defeated enemies, cool. Too early for me to talk about bosses, I just hope they will not rely on Burst Counter spam.

ADL

Prophet
I really want this but it isn't being ported to PC until fucking November. Playing The Surge 2 and the original Nioh in the meantime.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If they manage to improve the level design, they'll pretty much have created the perfect sequel and Sekiro killer.

That's one dumb expectation.

Watch the streams: they literally copied all the special attacks from Sekiro and DaS. At some point I even saw an attack with Humanities straight from DaS 1.

The level design is better in the sense that it's still shit. Encounter design is shit.

They changed the speed of some attacks like grabbing.

If DaS are knows as roll-fests then Nioh is a straight dash-fest. Dash-dash-dash-attack-dash-dash-dash ... a real cornucopia of tactical choices.

I forgot about the retarded stances ... 90% of the players will not use.

To be honest the character design tool is really impressive.

Bottom line: It's the same bastardized flashy version of Dark Souls like Nioh 1. Which is good for Nioh fans but it's nowhere near Sekiro.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Your complete lack of understanding good game design from bad despite your experience is both amazing and hilarious.

So Nioh's systems are retarded and the game lacks tactical deph, yet you can say with a straight face that Sekiro suffers from none of these issues.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane

TL;DR - Unlocked FPS/Movie modes are bad. Action modes are amazing on both platforms, only suffering some drops at certain points of a map where the game seems to be loading in some assets.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dont care. I am just waiting on pc and my pc should be powerful enough to run this at my native 1440p and 60 FPS if the port isn't garbage.

SumDrunkGuy

Supposedly Elden Ring will return to the old form and go far beyond, but I am skeptical. Still, even halting the bleeding would be progress at this point.

Elden Ring is without a doubt their most ambitious project. I heard they were developing it along side Sekiro, which would explain why that game felt so half-hearted and lazy (by From Software's standards). I have extremely high expectations for Elden Ring.

Sentinel

Arcane
Elden Ring is without a doubt their most ambitious project. I heard they were developing it along side Sekiro, which would explain why that game felt so half-hearted and lazy (by From Software's standards). I have extremely high expectations for Elden Ring.
Which will also serve as an excuse for why Elden Ring will end up being half-hearted and lazy.
You somehow think that time and resources being divided between two projects means one ends up being "lazy" but the other will be deserving of all the positive adjectives in this world? Don't kid yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom