Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Hyperion

Arcane
3rd DLC is December 17th. Also time travel.

Hyperion

Arcane
I mean I don't imba shit in my (mostly) single player game. Let the dev have fun with the weapon design.

Now that Nioh is confirmed for PC does it mean there is no more major DLC on the way? I think the current 2 DLC are fairly short time travel stuff right?
Problem regarding unbalanced stuff is that they nerf things all the time despite it being single-player. They nerf or find ways to remove easy farming of gear, have perma seeded all forms of crafting so you can't save scum, revenants are insanely powerful for little to no reward since everything after Dream of the Strong is rolled on drop rather than on a character's death. And unlike Nioh 1, there isn't a Revenant specific Grace (yet) so killing them on Demon+ simply isn't worth it. Most of the time they're more powerful than a Cursed enemy but with less reward since +XX gear doesn't drop off them.

....there are also starred affixes now that can't be Tempered. They must be rolled on drop, and include things like -weight for heavy armor (only source of weight reduction in the game), life thats 3x as much as standard, melee damage VS <elemental status>, and melee damage VS zero ki enemy. And of course, the highest levep items are currentpy 190 and drop <5% of the time, so have fun soul matching those. There's RNG ontop of RNG. Fortunately the game throws fuckloads of items at you, but still it wears you down not being able to get your desired set going because the proper Grace won't drop.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Starred affixes were exclusive to drops and initial forges already in Nioh 1 iirc.

Hyperion

Arcane
I didn't play Nioh 1 past the middle of Way of the Demon because the changes weren't enough to warrant a third time through, but I don't recall Starred affixes.... maybe they were introduced later

...Also speaking of differences, there are definitely more enemies on subsequent difficulties, Enemy Sensor is pretty much a must imo because they sure do love Aberrant Soldiers and Cannon Skeletons in aggravating places.

Even better there is a multiplayer mode called 'expeditions' which allow 3 players to queue up for the same mission (sans 1v1 duel sidemissions) and everyone progresses through the story at the same time. Enemies in expeditions are MUCH more durable, have heightened resists, multiplied life, hit harder, and seem to move a little faster. And there are more of them. You'll sometimes fight a pair of Yokai where you nornally fight 1, etc. No more doing every mission multiple times like in every other Soulslike. You can do everything except access the Teahouse between missions as well.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Maybe I'm getting old, but the second boss in Darkness in the Capital (Tsuchigumo) kicks my butt so much it's not even funny. He is super aggressive, hits like a truck, barely any openings. Even if I manage to put him on fire, he will find a way to obliterate me. The only time I used Sloth in Nioh 2 so far was for Yoshimitsu in first DLC, I'm afraid this will be another case of that :(

At the same time, it's hard to not like this game. I'm level 158, mission expected level is 130, and the boss just walks over me and kills me sometimes in less than 2s. No other game does that.

Edit: I'm starting to thing that maybe I'm making the game harder than necessary by using light armor. I like the mobility, but it's so hard to live with the damage you receive. Using Divine Flying Kato set +1 / +2, level 150. Probably should Soul Match it a little bit.

Edit2: On the positive side, both DLC are good and worth playing. They didn't cut corners. Each DLC also expands on enemy variety (which was already expanded a lot in base game). New enemies are fun to fight against (possessed carriage? why not) .

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
For some reason it's set to an Adult Only game.
Probably a mistake.
Or maybe it is not...
Steam marketing push intensifies.

A Kasha is a servant of hell, tasked with torturing the very souls it steals. This monstrous cat-like yokai is known for its quick movements and fiery attacks, allowing her to cover great distances with ease.
54c8b553b154bc30d53d022470c3d9b315646123.jpg

b67b1673b73174cc9800512e8ba907a30fe51918.jpg

7a480f226efadc1f43197cefcab5293e28dae8cd.jpg

Hyperion

Arcane
Maybe I'm getting old, but the second boss in Darkness in the Capital (Tsuchigumo) kicks my butt so much it's not even funny. He is super aggressive, hits like a truck, barely any openings. Even if I manage to put him on fire, he will find a way to obliterate me. The only time I used Sloth in Nioh 2 so far was for Yoshimitsu in first DLC, I'm afraid this will be another case of that :(
This is the case for most of the game, but the DLC's are far stricter when it comes to openings. They've made it very clear this ain't a Soulslike with you reading enemy patterns, dodging then taking your 3 cuts and backing off. Utilize blocking, yokai ability hyperarmor and ki damage, apply Confusion with Ninjutsu, Onmyo Talismans, the new skill modifiers, and basic weapon enchants to stop Ki Regen and deal 50% more damage. It's also intentional that the DLC is harder than the first few regions of the following difficulty to appease players who have completed prior content. Essentially you need to usd game mechanics to create your own openings with hyperarmor, and ki breaking.

Heavy armor was nerfed a bit and requires full investment into Stamina, but still as viable as ever. I've built for pure beef and haven't even reached my final form. I've still potential for more health regen, damage reduction, and I've only about 50% of my damage potential. And I'm smoking content. We'll see if they incorporate the same bullshit for Dream of the Nioh that makes it so you never want to get hit. If so, I'm fucked.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is the case for most of the game, but the DLC's are far stricter when it comes to openings.

Same case in the first Nioh DLCs. I went through the base game quite easily but the DLC was like hitting a wall. I spent maybe 4 hours on the Date boss (the centipede man), it was just like cruel says - super aggressive, very few openings, has 5+ hit combos and if you get caught you're ded.

What ultimately worked for me was baiting his attacks, running around him and getting in one or two hits. Baiting+running seems to be the only strategy for fast and aggressive bosses for me.

Hyperion

Arcane
DLCs are balanced around people who have completed the game and have a set of gear for the following difficulty. Come back with Way of the Strong stuff equipped and it'll be far more reasonable.

Date Shigezane is definitely one of the most notorious human-yokai bosses in the 2 games, even moreso when you get the mission of him with his axe wielding manlet buddy at the same time.

Deflowerer

Arcane
This is the case for most of the game, but the DLC's are far stricter when it comes to openings.

I spent maybe 4 hours on the Date boss (the centipede man), it was just like cruel says - super aggressive, very few openings, has 5+ hit combos and if you get caught you're ded.

Dance baby, dance.

But yeah, the first time was the first wake-up call since Tachibana.

Maria is utter hell though, I am on WotD right now and it continues to be a massive pain each time.

Machocruz

Arcane
How come there doesn't seem to be as much chatter and hype about this game as there was for the first, I mean outside of here? Seems like a Legend of Grimrock 2 situation, as far as attention.

Hyperion

Arcane
How come there doesn't seem to be as much chatter and hype about this game as there was for the first, I mean outside of here? Seems like a Legend of Grimrock 2 situation, as far as attention.
It didn't do as well to my knowledge, but we'll see how that fares after PC release.

As of right now I'm frustrated with the game. It's all there for a brilliant ride, but the layers upon layers of RNG you have to battle to get a gear set. Proper yokai soul cores, and the other assorted little nuances to tweak your stats are insane. And the way the game revolves around sets you can't really make incremental changes. You have to gather a full complement of gear then make the switch over all at once.

I got into a big argument in the Nioh 2 discord because I started having less fun after the final DLC then before it released, and called it out. Usually those degenerates are pretty reasonable when calling Team Ninja out for bullshit, but I guess new car smell hasn't worn off with them. TN got *extremely* lazy with all of the new enemies. They're literal reskins of existing monsters with maybe 2 new moves added. There's more variance between an Axe Yoki and a Sword Yoki than there is between One Eyed Oni and Kinki. The latter has the exact same punches, the exact same spinning punch, the same fucking dropkick, and they even have the same animations.

There's no cash shop, no monthly fee, no nickel and diming cosmetics or pay to win shit, so why do I feel like I'm playing a Koreagrinder and being punished for not repeating the same brainless boss fight missions and playing the game normally?

And because of the time travel aspect of the story, you fight the same fucking boss again and again and again but in slightly different fashion, and it's just irritating.

cruel

Cipher

Maybe they didn't pay enough for marketing, but the game sold well:

Though it sometimes feels like a curse as you play, it is a testament that Nioh 2 successfully grabs and holds your complete attention so close for so long." By October 2020, the game had sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide. It was nominated for Best Action at The Game Awards 2020.

Hyperion

Arcane
The first has sold >2.5 mil though. I doubt more than half of the sales will be for PC....

Wunderbar

Arcane
Nioh 2 Is The Last Game In The Series, Says Developer
Team Ninja's director Fumihiko Yasuda has confirmed that the Nioh series is no longer in production, meaning that Nioh 2 will be the last.

In an interview with renowned Japanese publication Famitsu, and as reported by Twinfinite, Yasuda stated simply that production on the Nioh series has ended, but gives no explicit reason why. He also offered little else about what Team Ninja will be up to now that Nioh is officially over, but promises multiple large-scale projects to begin production in earnest in 2021. Koei Tecmo president Kou Shibusawa, president of Koei Tecmo, of which Team Ninja is a subdivision, has also stated his intentions to continue developing games based on Japanese history and culture, so while Nioh may be coming to an end, it'll likely have a lineup of spiritual successors.

https://screenrant.com/nioh-2-last-game-says-developer/

:negative:

cruel

Cipher
Very bad news :( I'm wondering if they made this decision based on Nioh 2 sales, or they knew from the start.

On the other hand, maybe they just feel burned out and want something new, and avoid releasing something like Dark Souls 3, with so much recycled content? Still, I'm sad now, both Nioh and Nioh 2 made me very happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom