Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No LAN in my StarCraft 2

Shannow

Waster of Time
Major_Boobage said:
Possibly you will have to pay for something like a premium account. You will still be able to play free in basic form. I wouldnt worry about it.
"Don't worry, you'll be fine", they said as they were building a fire under the cauldron he was sitting in.
And boil, he did.

So what is a premium acc?

catfood

AGAIN
Shannow said:
Major_Boobage said:
Possibly you will have to pay for something like a premium account. You will still be able to play free in basic form. I wouldnt worry about it.
"Don't worry, you'll be fine", they said as they were building a fire under the cauldron he was sitting in.
And boil, he did.

So what is a premium acc?

Probably some bullshit like choosing your own custom avatar and crap like that.

1eyedking

Erudite
LAN parties, man. Didn't these guys have them? WHO THE FUCKING HELL IS RUNNING THE INDUSTRY NOW?!

Tails

Arbiter
Blizzard rep has told Kotaku:
We don't currently plan to support LAN play with StarCraft II, as we are building Battle.net to be the ideal destination for multiplayer gaming with StarCraft II and future Blizzard Entertainment games. While this was a difficult decision for us, we felt that moving away from LAN play and directing players to our upgraded Battle.net service was the best option to ensure a quality multiplayer experience with StarCraft II and safeguard against piracy.

Several Battle.net features like advanced communication options, achievements, stat-tracking, and more, require players to be connected to the service, so we're encouraging everyone to use Battle.net as much as possible to get the most out of StarCraft II. We're looking forward to sharing more details about Battle.net and online functionality for StarCraft II in the near future.
Yeah riiight. I just love when Devs or Publishers take actions against piracy that work in different way then they would like to... Spore anyone?

Avu

Liturgist
I'm guessing having a country worth of taxpayers ehm I mean subscribers isn't enough for them...

MetalCraze

Arcane
we felt that moving away from LAN play and directing players to our upgraded Battle.net service was the best option to ensure a quality multiplayer experience with StarCraft II and safeguard against piracy.

Haha fucking Blizzard jews. B.net = quality? Since when? Now instead of playing on a server I want/LAN party I will have to play on some shitty B.net server half a world away?
Blizzard can go fuck themselves with their $150 for a game with shitty MP service.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Several Battle.net features like advanced communication options, achievements, stat-tracking, and more, require players to be connected to the service
They try to say that playing on LAN wouldn't make sense because you don't have access to "advanced communication options"? More advanced than speaking directly to the friends being in the same room? What would it be? Support for telepathy?

Achievements and stat-tracking? What?

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Jim Cojones said:
Several Battle.net features like advanced communication options, achievements, stat-tracking, and more, require players to be connected to the service
They try to say that playing on LAN wouldn't make sense because you don't have access to "advanced communication options"? More advanced than speaking directly to the friends being in the same room? What would it be? Support for telepathy?

Achievements and stat-tracking? What?

Great improvements!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
As a devoted single-player gamer i piss on your juvenile scorn. :wink:
Starcraft 2's single-player content looks good so far and i will gladly pay 150$ for it.

Tails

Arbiter
I wonder what will Blizzard do if lots of their customers start to demand LAN in D3 and SC2. Blizzard always was described as the only company that truly listens fans requests.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tails said:
I wonder what will Blizzard do if lots of their customers start to demand LAN in D3 and SC2. Blizzard always was described as the only company that truly listens fans requests.

Who came up with that one?

Tails

Arbiter
thesheeep said:
Tails said:

Who came up with that one?
Every Blizz fan that I talk to claimed this.
Lyric Suite said:
Can anybody explain to me just WTF is this thing supposed to be?

http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots.x? ... 110#132833

Blizzard = fail.
April fools?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bah, that teaches me to shit-cock without having had my coffee first.

Silellak

Cipher
Hamster said:
As a devoted single-player gamer i piss on your juvenile scorn. :wink:
Starcraft 2's single-player content looks good so far and i will gladly pay 150$ for it.

You, apparently, have far too much money, and should share it with the rest of us.

I would love to join in the nerd-rage here, but after Blizzard pulled their "trilogy" bullshit with the single player game, it immediately fell into my "maybe-buy-this-after-10-years-or-so" list. So, it's hard to really care what other stupid shit they do with their game. Yes, removing LAN is a dumb decision, but it still pales next to their "our game is worth $150" horseshit.

I'm fairly sure Battle.Net will eventually become a pay service, once people are hooked on Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. Blizzard can just bundle a Battle.Net subscription in with a WoW subscription and, eventually, a subscription to the inevitable World of Starcraft.

$5 - Monthly access to our award-winning Battle.Net multiplayer service
$15 - Monthly access to the Battle.Net multiplayer service and the number-one-ranked MMO in the world, World of Warcraft
$20 - Monthly access to Battle.Net, World of Warcraft, and the newly-released hit game World of Starcraft

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Yea, this is pretty lame alright. Not sure if I'll buy SC2 now. I liked the first one a lot especially due to the atmosphere. I sucked at the game as I generally do in RTS games (even though I enjoy playing them), so I'm not even that interested in multiplayer. Only having a Terran campaign also sucks. Besides, the atmosphere I crave probably won't be there. I'm pretty sure it'll be like WC3 was to WC2. So yea.. meh.

MetalCraze

Arcane
There won't be World of Starcraft, because it's sci-fi, sci fi doesn't sell as well as fantasy.
It will be a World of Diablo considering that a new MMO is already announced and look at D3 gameplay - it already looks like a bridge between Diablo and WoW.

I imagine the Cattle.net emulators will appear soon, even more niche (irony) NFS-U got one pretty fast.

Also SC2 gameplay from previews looks too fishy to me. Whereas in SC it was all about balance between unique sides here it looks more like rock-paper-scissors - think Homeworld 2.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
When you buy Starcraft 2, you buy communism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom