Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

The game has been fundamentally changed several times and it's only because they have maintained and updated it for almost a decade now, which in on itself is a rarity, and all updates have been free for the users.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

So apparently this is getting another update, and I saw someone fighting the usual "hello games redeemed themselves" narrative, saying despite the numerous updates it still is not the game that was initially promised. As usual there was nothing of substance to both sides, just generalizations and insults. While I'm inclined to believe the negative opinion, has nothing major really been added to the core gameplay after all these years? It's all just more "content"?

If you haven't played since release, then the game is worth a look. If you played 3 years ago and didn't like what you played then this update will not change your mind.

the base game is still a turd. anything they've added is just more. not better. on the contrary, each and every added activity not only is completely devoid of any tie with everything else, but is also way less remunerative than just your average walking around available since 1.0. besides, 99% of the activities are "click a button and wait a day" straight from 30 years ago worst browser games.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Honestly, shocked this is still getting updates. I mean why? It's not underrail or anything good. Can't be that many people playing that demand updates.

For the guys that bought it, I just say buyer beware and move on. Guy was a hipster scammer and nothing changed.

Chimera

Augur
Honestly, shocked this is still getting updates. I mean why? It's not underrail or anything good. Can't be that many people playing that demand updates.
Never underestimate normies.
UlRXD1b.jpeg

Also worth noting it generally ranks around the 90th to 100th most played game on Steam, obviously depending on the day and time, consistently beating the likes of Diablo IV, Starfield, Hogwarts Legacy, NBA 2K24, Call of Duty Black Ops III, Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon, Resident Evil 4...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Meh, recently started playing this and it's not completely shit.

I mean yes, the 18 floppitygillion planets are mostly empty and banalshitboring (nowhere near Starfield levels though), the navigation interface is complete unintuitive console trash but at least there's some kind of interesting storyline.

Once that's over, can't see myself replaying this though.

Only recent game since ED that has a proper sense of galactic scale.

Very reminiscent of Out There, the most hipstery game to ever hipster. Both in concepts and art style.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
image.png

This game is a lot of fun with all the content they added in over time, but I can definitely see how boring it would have been on launch without it. Feels like biting into a sandwich with a lot of different ingredients at once. Without it though it would be just plain bread.

Saw the "Omega Expedition" and thought it was just like Leagues from PoE, but when clicking it it told me to not play it as my first experience. So I cucked out and started a normie save for like an hour until I renegged and just started up an Expedition save. "Just to see how it feels". I wish they told me that I could just start an Expedition from my normie save as well later on. But I did not regret playing the Expedition first, since it felt like the sandwich I was biting into now also had some crack cocaine sprinkled all over it. Loved the sped up progression, as the base game progression has these boring ass quests associated with it. The bad writing doesn't help the uninspired quest design either. I can't vouch for the entirety of the writing, since I just started skipping through everything. Writing isn't something I expected from the game though, so it doesn't really bother me. What I really hate in the game are a) ladders and b) that stupid NMS does whenever you go to another system/planet or get an achievement. I thought it was a vignette effect, but it persisted when I turned off vignette effects. Really got on my nerves when jumping to the galaxy center. What I really like a) strangers stuffing me with random weird items at the Anomaly while I sleep b) the illusion of a vast world is much more realized with actual trillions of planets available c) doing that melee trick with the jet pack d) social element is limited but present, much like in FromSoft games or Nintendo games.

Am I correct in the assumption that the next Expedition is going to launch in less than two weeks?

Latelistener

Arcane
As far as I'm aware of, you need to start a new save to play an expedition, but after you finish it you convert it to a normal save. You cannot start an expedition from you current normal save.

Without it though it would be just plain bread.
No. What they sold on release was not bread. Right now the game is 6 out of 10 at best. What came out back then was something unbelievable compared to what they promised.

Hagashager

Educated

For the guys that bought it, I just say buyer beware and move on. Guy was a hipster scammer and nothing changed.
Rule of thumb on Codex: anything you like is on the fringe of the gaming zietgiest. I know of only one person who knows about Underrail, and he will never play it.

Comparing the userbase of NMS to Underrail is...depressing.

Santa Claus ain't real man, I'm sorry you had to find out like this.

The game has been fundamentally changed several times and it's only because they have maintained and updated it for almost a decade now, which in on itself is a rarity, and all updates have been free for the users.

did this become a good game in the end?
up to you.
it has game modes and all sorts of content now. you can do a lot of things, and it's closer to what people initially thought it would be. it's still no man's sky, but as i said, it's gotten a dozen or so content expansions and new expeditions are released somewhat frequently. the game's still very much alive when it comes to updates.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
did this become a good game in the end?

Going by what I know about your gaming tastes, I say stay far, far away from this game.

The game favours collecting (ships, guns, materials etc), exploring procedural planets, cataloging (flora/fauna etc), has very disjointed storylines, no real focus, and a reliance on repitition.

It has made tremendous strides since it's release. But at it's core, it is still NMS. I will say this though, if you ever just feel like spacing out (pun?) exploring planets, collecting ships and materials, and building bases, then there is some fun to be had.

I would also recommend checking out a game called Empyrion Galactic Survival.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/empyrion-galactic-survival-finally-out-of-early-access.134429/

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The crafting and base building shit is what ultimately ruins the game for me and unless you're playing creative mode, which removes any sense of working to earn anything, you're going to have to engage with the crafting system often.

They should have focused less on crafting and more on making a compelling universe to explore with interesting things to do in it.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
The crafting and base building shit is what ultimately ruins the game for me and unless you're playing creative mode, which removes any sense of working to earn anything, you're going to have to engage with the crafting system often.

They should have focused less on crafting and more on making a compelling universe to explore with interesting things to do in it.
I'm gonna call bullshit on this one. All of my bases are the bare minimum and I achieved all the goals I had set for myself easily without looking up any major guides (only when I was interested in a specific mechanic for my own personal min-maxing fun). The Expedition run puts you on a path that is very densely populated by omega sweatlords who will build resource depots you can just loot. Unless you're playing in some solo survival mode, you don't have to grind for resources much.

Also, if you're so against grinding, just use one of the many dupe glitches still in the game at your own discretion.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I'll give the devs some credit for working on and making bank on Heckin spacerino reddit tards who keep circling this steaming turd.

Hellraiser

Arcane
convenience of small, packed starbases stripped away.
I could have agreed with this if the game didn't already force the player to walk across the whole damn ship parking lot to visit half of the stores/service points on the other side (especially annoying when using the base portal system).

Not like this is a problem one way or the other since there's no reason to play the damn game in the first place anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom