Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

BoroMonokli

Novice
Well, there is the research terminals at the SA at least. I guess I meant that.

What you said pretty much describes what I did: get to the SA to unlock the panels, and go off my own way to get ingame-rich:

I started on an uranium world, which is where I eventually found a good uranium deposit, then my original base also houses ammonium silos (and copper, because it was kind of important back then), then found a good site for pyrite, phosphor, dioxite, and also paraffin. these also had sulphurine, radon and nitrogen. Combined I can make the highest tier trade material for tons of units.

Oh yeah I also needed tons and tons of ferrite dust to build these, so a rusted metal deposit on a moon would become my main base. Best of all the nomad/pilgrim flight trick still works there.

I know its all old news, and that building a single stacked activated indium mega-base is probably more efficient (a small one in the sister-moon of the main base is already built), but I like the crafting.

Oh I realized though that its a lot better with a couple mods (one that increase stack sizes for substances and products, one for removing the delay when you craft or interact, and one that makes refiners ten times faster).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
20 years later, i still haven't understood the praise for freelancer. it does EVERYTHING wrong.
combat takes no skill, is artificially prolonged with special skills only npc can use and with instant heals, there's just three ships (two of whom are useless), and pretty much as many weapons, space depiction is retarded, story is retarded, traveling means are retarded, trade is the same as elite which was 15 years older.

Those are true of Elite Dangerous as well, but the hype for that was at least 26 times bigger.

Ein Axt

Educated
I haven't had a console since PS2. Is that really the norm for console games nowadays?

I thought it was just a retarded design choice.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So this is the part where the thread gets revived and idiots talk for a dozen pages about how the game is still bad, which everyone already knew anyway and then it slinks back into oblivion until the next pointless update/Infinitron news post huh.
:deadhorse:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't get people who like this or games like it. It's a pain in the ass simulator.

Omg, you're irradiated. Get sodium. Omg, your mining beam is depleted, get carbon. Omg, you're irradiated, get sodium. <repeat forever until you uninstall>
That was my experience as well.

I started on some kind of lava planet and while I was trying to figure out just what the fuck is going on my suit was already melting. I think they won't allow you to die at this point yet, but still.

Get shit to fix suit. Get shit to fix your ship. Get shit to do this and that. Then I launched a ship two or three times and imagine this... you need to get shit to power up the engines to fly again. Even your laser that is in fact getting shit for you needs to be fueled.

To be honest I even regret trading some games for it. If I've bought it that would've been depressing (but I wouldn't have done it).

I expected this game to be just bland, but instead it's simply irritating.

And the one and only good thing about it that is 70s sci-fi vibe is disappearing with each update.

BoroMonokli

Novice
funny how much of it you can leave behind once you graduate to a few space station terminals and the medium refiner:

you buy oxygen for cheap, you convert some of it to have enough sodium, and you need a lot less sodium since you are in a base where your hazard protection recharges on its own.

then you can also do the crafting of di-hydrogen jelly and refine back to di-hydrogen for a continued expansion of di-hydrogen stocks,

then you can refine pure ferrite with oxygen for rusted metal, which you refine to ferrite dust.

finally you keep your finances fueled by combining oxygen with chlorine for more chlorine.

And this is the beginner strategy, before you start making mineral extractors, storage depots, gas extractors, and a veritable network of resource extracting bases to make enough fusion ignitors or stasis devices to buy whatever freighter you want. In the meanwhile you get to upgrade your spaceship to have recharging launch thrusters.

Red7

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
All of which are generated in a style of procedural generation that creates vast worlds that are entirely devoid of meaning and character.
Nothing placed on a planet has any purpose to it, it's all just "throw these few dozen things somewhere at random on this planet, make the fauna and flora look crazy*, and make sure each planet has at least these things so the player can fulfill the minimal game loop".

This kind of generation is also the reason the universe is (almost) unlimited - it's all just pure randomness, devoid of almost any thought behind it.

as u may noticed i dont care about english much as it dosent deserve it, its non computable trash. but certain words are non ambiguous and have logical or geometrical precision and those i see no reason to dillute. i say that cause even if u used word "pure randomness" not in strict sense of meaning of that word its still pretty fucking bad.

there is nothing random in the world cause it cannot be. causality/energy and randomness are exact opposite (unless u make some soft definition of randomness). but lets not get into fundamental assumption of science, porgramming dosnt need even that.

all code/machine is deterministic. all external input based code derivation is also deterministic (after input is determined). machine cannot produce any input as its just derivation, it also cannot produce random input.

most computers make "randomness" based on time variable and user interaction creating only illusion of purely chaotic/random input. even if u use sample like some radiation fluctuation as input its technically not random either unless tha radiation is magical and unrestrained by energy laws.

in my observation most ppl use word "random" as something poorly constructed, or something with little utility or sense, and thats is fucking useful application of word rather than real definition which shouldnt have place ANYWHERE BESIDE ABSTRACT MATH CONSTRUCTS, but still its not mathematical meaning of the word.
chaotic (to me) is not same as random/purely chaotic and hidden information/entropy is not same as randomness or even disorder/chaos.

this confusion caused massive damage especially amongst academic retards/whores and allowed pseudosciences like neo darwinian evolution or dogshit randomness/magic based quantum phenomena "models" to be popularised by banking cartel.

no mans sky world isnt random, its just retarded/devoided of almost any function, kind of like anything that dawkins or neil tyson would write in their garbage books.

https://youtu.be/S89IskZI740

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All of which are generated in a style of procedural generation that creates vast worlds that are entirely devoid of meaning and character.
Nothing placed on a planet has any purpose to it, it's all just "throw these few dozen things somewhere at random on this planet, make the fauna and flora look crazy*, and make sure each planet has at least these things so the player can fulfill the minimal game loop".

This kind of generation is also the reason the universe is (almost) unlimited - it's all just pure randomness, devoid of almost any thought behind it.

as u may noticed i dont care about english much as it dosent deserve it, its non computable trash. but certain words are non ambiguous and have logical or geometrical precision and those i see no reason to dillute. i say that cause even if u used word "pure randomness" not in strict sense of meaning of that word its still pretty fucking bad.

there is nothing random in the world cause it cannot be. causality/energy and randomness are exact opposite (unless u make some soft definition of randomness). but lets not get into fundamental assumption of science, porgramming dosnt need even that.

all code/machine is deterministic. all external input based code derivation is also deterministic (after input is determined). machine cannot produce any input as its just derivation, it also cannot produce random input.

most computers make "randomness" based on time variable and user interaction creating only illusion of purely chaotic/random input. even if u use sample like some radiation fluctuation as input its technically not random either unless tha radiation is magical and unrestrained by energy laws.

in my observation most ppl use word "random" as something poorly constructed, or something with little utility or sense, and thats is fucking useful application of word rather than real definition which shouldnt have place ANYWHERE BESIDE ABSTRACT MATH CONSTRUCTS, but still its not mathematical meaning of the word.
chaotic (to me) is not same as random/purely chaotic and hidden information/entropy is not same as randomness or even disorder/chaos.

this confusion caused massive damage especially amongst academic retards/whores and allowed pseudosciences like neo darwinian evolution or dogshit randomness/magic based quantum phenomena "models" to be popularised by banking cartel.

no mans sky world isnt random, its just retarded/devoided of almost any function, kind of like anything that dawkins or neil tyson would write in their garbage books.

That's the most random pile of wannabe-intelligent tangents I've seen in a while.

DpQ9YJl.jpg

Red7

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

That's the most random pile of wannabe-intelligent tangents I've seen in a while.

DpQ9YJl.jpg
oh so u are retarded. btw autism is not real condition/has no working definition.

kinda like vagina
or recession

or most rudimentary math concepts.

also academic whores dismantled concept of meter/spatial measurment to cover light speed fluctuations years ago to cover certain jew fraud stolen model from looking bad. i guess there is no "speed" fluctuations when u define meter with distance light travels in certain time frame.

Latelistener

Arcane
funny how much of it you can leave behind once you graduate to a few space station terminals and the medium refiner:

you buy oxygen for cheap, you convert some of it to have enough sodium, and you need a lot less sodium since you are in a base where your hazard protection recharges on its own.

then you can also do the crafting of di-hydrogen jelly and refine back to di-hydrogen for a continued expansion of di-hydrogen stocks,

then you can refine pure ferrite with oxygen for rusted metal, which you refine to ferrite dust.

finally you keep your finances fueled by combining oxygen with chlorine for more chlorine.

And this is the beginner strategy, before you start making mineral extractors, storage depots, gas extractors, and a veritable network of resource extracting bases to make enough fusion ignitors or stasis devices to buy whatever freighter you want. In the meanwhile you get to upgrade your spaceship to have recharging launch thrusters.
Sounds like too much work just to be finally disappointed in exploring.

Jack Of Owls

Prophet
Nah, I just actually studied game design and can tell depth from breadth.
I also happened to work for years on procedural generation, so I know when something just looks different but is actually entirely the same.

Cool. I am always ready to try some new games. What did you work on?
Damn, you sound so simple minded at times. It used to be Fluent (who I actually like) that got that label on this forum but Late Bloomer is the new Fluent.

Jack Of Owls

Prophet
So, by some miracle, does the new update radically and alchemically turn the game from shit into gold? Could happen.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, by some miracle, does the new update radically and alchemically turn the game from shit into gold? Could happen.

There is like 1% chance for that, with this pace of updates it might be playable maybe sometime around 2040.

Jack Of Owls

Prophet

If you didnt like the game before this update you wont like it now.
First impressions are huge for me in gaming and the thing I remember most about trying to play NMS that first time the week of release was that there was a major shader caching bug that caused hitches and stutters almost literally with every step, no matter how powerful the rig. This was fixed of course in updates but the game should have never been released like that. But what I did play - all 15 minutes of it - was mildly enjoyable. But if I see good reviews after new updates from the codex Mikeys who previously hated it I might give it another shot.

Late Bloomer

Educated

If you didnt like the game before this update you wont like it now.
First impressions are huge for me in gaming and the thing I remember most about trying to play NMS that first time the week of release was that there was a major shader caching bug that caused hitches and stutters almost literally with every step, no matter how powerful the rig. This was fixed of course in updates but the game should have never been released like that. But what I did play - all 15 minutes of it - was mildly enjoyable. But if I see good reviews after new updates from the codex Mikeys who previously hated it I might give it another shot.

Yeah that first week was one of the most wretched launches I can remember. Its a fine exploration/collecting/base building game now. Not for everyone though, clearly.

Latelistener

Arcane
It still stutters like shit for me. Maybe CPU is the issue in my case though. I'm using an older i5 that was released around the time the game was released. Not sure how people have played this game back then on PC.

Jack Of Owls

Prophet
It still stutters like shit for me. Maybe CPU is the issue in my case though. I'm using an older i5 that was released around the time the game was released. Not sure how people have played this game back then on PC.
I get stuttering in the first few seconds but that's normal for just about any modern(ish) game then it plays normally.

Latelistener

Arcane
I get stuttering in the first few seconds but that's normal for just about any modern(ish) game then it plays normally.
One time I've noticed when I looked in the sky and then back on the planet that the game just unloaded all the high-res textures from the surface and then after a few seconds loaded them back.

Overall I don't think it's a properly coded game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom