Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Mine Bombers video kinda makes me sad, since I recently found out that they are kinda trying to do some kind of a remake (Gun Bombers).

But instead of crispy pixels we have smooth transitions and instead of four directional movement it has free movement. And instead of bombs there are also guns.

Sometimes it is the simplicity and the (technical) limitations that make it work in the first place.

Ivan

Arcane
I notice that they removed "from the developer of Environmental Station Alpha" wonder what happened there

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Tried it out a bit, it's pretty good so far. There's some cool secrets I've found so far, possibly some sort of best ending to get by skipping all the portals, though that seems wildly difficult. Trying to figure out how stuff functions with wands has been... interesting. I found some bubble spell thing that casts as a single shotgun burst if you put them all in a row and cast the first one, other effects don't work that way. Gets pretty difficult real fast, with enemies using guns and worse on you and everything being on fire/acid/poison/slippery/etc.

Jinn

Arcane
Game looks awesome and am very tempted to grab it. Hopefully the good sales will help them expand the game even more than they initially planned to. I wish it had a little more continuity between runs, like increased health, keeping wand parts, etc. Maybe they'll add extended campaigns in the future if they're able to keep interest up.

Jinn

Arcane
Cool list of inspirations from one of the developers of the project from the Reddit AMA. Also, the AMA is just a good read in general.

I was thinking of doing a proper post to explain all the inspirations for our game. I think there are few lesser known titles in there.

For me it's been

• Nethack for old school roguelikes (but also Brogue, ADOM, little bit of Ivan, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup for Arvi).

• Spelunky for the new school (but also Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, Catacomb Kids).

• Liero for the 2D real time shooting and destructible terrain (but also MoleZ which came before Liero, Abuse for control scheme, Soldat, Cortex Command, the tons of Finnish cave fliers like Wings, Tappo 2, Auts, Turboraketti)

• Diablo for the action RPGs, (but also Dark Souls for difficulty :)

• Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild for open world + physics (also the original Zelda)

• Terraria for the continuous world (also Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress (which I haven't really played, but reading about it has been inspirational))

• Deus Ex for the systemic gameplay (but also Ultima Underworlds, Thief, System Shocks, Dishonored, Bio Shocks).

• Magicka for the magic mayhem :)

• Falling Sand games for physics reasons (but also Lemmings, Worms, Scorched Earth, Clonk, PixelJunk Shooter, Intrusion 2, Trespasser and X-Com)
I'm sure I'm forgetting something important :)

Edit: Forgot Trespasser, Lemmings, Worms, Scorched Earth, Clonk, Zelda, X-Com

I went ahead and bought the game a few hours ago and have been playing it since. It's a lot of fun, addictive, and so far I've only made it to the second area. Normally a game like this wouldn't have drawn me in, but this looked like such a unique project because of the simulated pixels element that I had to check it out. Really glad I did. I have no idea at this point how much staying power it's going to have for me, but I know I'm going to at least try to do a full run to the end during its early access period. I feel like I'll probably get at least 20 hours out of it in early access.

It already feels great as it is, but has a ton of potential to expand into an even more fleshed out and full experience. Seems like one of the more polished early access titles I've seen too, which is good news because now they have approximately a year to make it even better. If only something like Exanima had been in this state when it was released on EA.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm hoping the dev fixes the 'angered the gods' thing. Currently if a monster damages the rest zone between levels a super monster shows up to murder you. Happens way too often and there's really nothing you can do about it.

Jinn

Arcane
Update: I now have 8 hours into the game and I have to wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who has been eyeing it up. I find myself thinking about it when I'm not able to play it, which is something I didn't expect from it. It really does appear simple at first, but there is a ton of depth and complexity here in everything from how you interact with the environment, how you store your spells, how you build and edit your wands and spells, what items you decide to carry, how you approach a certain area, to how you progress through the game in general. It seems like every hour I've played I've discovered 10 new things to draw me back in and give me something new to think about.

What I really hope happens with the game is that they keep and improve upon this excellent Rogue-like mode, then add an actual continuous campaign on top of that where you can find save-points to continue from if you die. And the procedural generation is really well-done in Noita, but a game like this with a handcrafted world would be absolutely amazing.

Really happy with the purchase and just wanted to share my experience in case anyone has been watching this thread for impressions. Even if those things I wish for above don't happen, I'll still be very happy with the game. I can tell I'll be putting way more than my initial estimation of 20 hours into it.

Last edited:

SlamDunk

Arcane
Are there more of these EPS (Every Pixel Simulated) games, or is Noita the first of its kind?

I've been playing for a few hours now. Such an interesting and welcomed genre for me.

It would be great if the resolution, the amount of simulated pixels, would be at least double. Now the visuals are a bit too blocky. I've heard them say, though, that higher resolution would be too taxing for today's PCs... or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It would be great if the resolution, the amount of simulated pixels, would be at least double. Now the visuals are a bit too blocky. I've heard them say, though, that higher resolution would be too taxing for today's PC... or something along those lines.

Yeah, the game gets quite busy later on. Part of the problem is that it doesn't fake the funk. If you teleport monsters around, they actually teleport to somewhere on the map. All of the zones are actually simulated at the same time, there are no separate "maps".

Perkel

Arcane
Uh the later levels are too fucking busy. You constantly fight with 3-4 monsters. The first 2 levels are excellent.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Not only they are busy but the enemies are absolute bullshit as well. You fight bullet sponges with instakill abilities on every screen.

I won the game once so far, but you need to luck out with extremely overpowered wand to do that. And have a ton of immunities on top of that. Even with 500 HP I was constantly in danger of being oneshot (or stunlocked into lava).

Compared to the absolute murder the last few levels were, the boss itself was easy.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
You need to get a good wand with good spells early. Homing and those uh... slower bubbles, as an example. Wand stats make a huge difference. If it looks like you have a good start, get the orbs of knowledge on the 1st level (you'll need polymorphine potion (and/or water for lava).

Then optimally by 2nd level you should have the means for digging for gold. Mine gold on 2nd level and then just run for the portals.

If you have teleportation, you can try teleporting while inside the holy mountain. If you get lucky, you might teleport BACK to the previous level.

But yeah, consistent wins are impossible. You die a lot.

Citizen

Yeah, I got further today, but it seems like my progress mostly depends on finding good wands and not getting dipped in toxic sludge when there's no water around to be found

My most sucessfull run was with a raincloud wand that instadrowns powerfull fire mooks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom