Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Northern Journey - the best indie of 2021 you haven't played (yet)

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing, and now re-playing, this marvel, a thought comes to my mind. This is a true successor to Doom and Quake style FPS. Forget the Boomer Shooter fad and the pixels cargo cultism, all that bullshit. Here you have a FPS with very high moving speed, huge sprawling levels with gated sections you have to cross in a particular order, unforgiving fights where a misstep makes the difference between escaping unhurt and being dogpiled to death. Giant bosses with lot of health hitting like trucks ? Check. Scattered ammo and health ? Check. Traps ? Oh yeah. Mild platforming ? Yup.

It's basically Doom in Norway.
Wait, is there a way to play this *slowly*. Like you would play Morrowind, for example; most walking, running only occasionally. I'm constitutionally incapable of playing fast-paced FPS games as I'll feel sick very quickly, but I'm very interested in the game. I think I completed DOOM 1 when I was 16 or so, but I had to frequently lay down for 30 mins...

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Wait, is there a way to play this *slowly*. Like you would play Morrowind, for example;
This game features both relaxing walking segments and tense action moments. All amidst some very pretty sights.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing, and now re-playing, this marvel, a thought comes to my mind. This is a true successor to Doom and Quake style FPS. Forget the Boomer Shooter fad and the pixels cargo cultism, all that bullshit. Here you have a FPS with very high moving speed, huge sprawling levels with gated sections you have to cross in a particular order, unforgiving fights where a misstep makes the difference between escaping unhurt and being dogpiled to death. Giant bosses with lot of health hitting like trucks ? Check. Scattered ammo and health ? Check. Traps ? Oh yeah. Mild platforming ? Yup.

It's basically Doom in Norway.
Wait, is there a way to play this *slowly*. Like you would play Morrowind, for example; most walking, running only occasionally. I'm constitutionally incapable of playing fast-paced FPS games as I'll feel sick very quickly, but I'm very interested in the game. I think I completed DOOM 1 when I was 16 or so, but I had to frequently lay down for 30 mins...
The game itself is not fast-paced, but the way you move around did remind me of those fast FPS. You have ample time to come down after fights. Try it for yourself.

AndyS

Augur
I found that many parts of the game you could just creep through. Your weapons tend to have long ranges and can kill enemies before they lock on to you and start bearing down. It's still advisable to speed up for the main boss fights, but if you're patient you don't have to play most of the game fast.

It's a fantastic game, a damn masterpiece of atmosphere and exploration, unique world building and strange story... that is until these fucking spiders began to appear everywhere. The fast ones were ugly already but those eight-legged fuckers that jump directly in your face almost gave me a heart attack. I fear I'll never be able to get back to this game.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
My favourite spiders were the one that stand still if you focus your sight on them and crawl towards you if you don't. Bastards blend with the environment very well.

AndyS

Augur
The thing with this game is that the creatures generally behave like predators in the real world - instead of roaring and giving you a jumpscare with the noise, they quietly stalk you and you probably don't know they're there until you see their legs appear in view right next to you. The giant ticks kept getting me. I'd creep along, carefully scanning the tree tops to nail them from afar, but I would somehow still miss a few because they were too well-concealed behind the branches and then suddenly they're in my face and attaching themselves so they can make more of the fuckers.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The thing with this game is that the creatures generally behave like predators in the real world - instead of roaring and giving you a jumpscare with the noise, they quietly stalk you and you probably don't know they're there until you see their legs appear in view right next to you. The giant ticks kept getting me. I'd creep along, carefully scanning the tree tops to nail them from afar, but I would somehow still miss a few because they were too well-concealed behind the branches and then suddenly they're in my face and attaching themselves so they can make more of the fuckers.
Yeah this fucking part. It's so tense it becomes really terrifying, still I couldn't help but be in awe as it is so well thought and crafted. Found Sourwood as a whole an incredible level with something to cater to anyone's favorite phobia. I have seldom seen a more hostile yet eerie level in a video game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am 6 ish hour trough this and i think this is one of the best games ever made. Amazing sound, atmosphere, fun enemy designs and combat. A great mix of relaxing calm moment within accurate representation of norway (i think, never been there but it's my canon on how norway is like) and combat encounter.

The slingshot is really satisfying to use, that i prefer it most of the time, unless against tougher bosses. Can't imagine a slingshot being my favorite "gun" in an FPS, but damn they made it happen. The way you load the stone, spin it then the "crack" of the sling it just all feel so good ans very well thought of.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is there a chance this thing is ever going to go on sale?

10 euros isn't bad but hey, gotta save money where you can.

Gandalf

Arbiter
This game is brilliant, but also disturbing. I'd say it is not a must play in any sense, but it is certainly worth the price. Especially if one is into ambience, nature and obscurity.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
very. It has decent Exploration despite being mostly linear (with one area act as a crossroad hub that you will criss cross multiple times and it's really well designed) and the combat, enemies, weapons and bosses are all super satisfying.

It's worth the full price IMO

Elttharion

Learned
Its on sale right now, it was on my wishlist for a while but I liked what I read in the thread.

:takemymoney:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Got this game based on the recommendations from this thread. I'm really liking it so far and it goes to show that good level design and art direction can create some really pretty and memorable vistas, despite relatively simple art assets/textures. The spiders in this game are very creepy!

Elttharion

Learned
Finished the game today. Its very very good. Superb atmosphere, soundtrack, art direction, nice variety of weapons and enemies, etc. Exploration is pretty cool even if there arent that many rewards. Its also a gorgeous game. A little bit on the easy side tho. My biggest criticism is that the last stretch beginning when you open the second curch door, the underwater levels and the hell level took a little too long for my taste and were a tad repetitive. The second to last boss was also kinda annoying because of the timing to aim the shots while he is flying around and you are standing in a narrow platform.

Took me aprox. 10 hours to finish. Great game :4/5:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When it comes to newer games, this will be for me one of the most memorable. The graphics and soundtrack perfectly blend together creating wonderful mixture. Same goes for character design - really creepy and unsettling sometime. The first big area can be little frustrating to navigate at first, but once we start finding items and finish tasks, it gets easier. Memorizing shortcuts and knowing where you are is a key for optimal experience.

I liked the autorun function, which makes it even easier. The variety of enemies is impressive, and we see them mostly in a single locations. That being said, those who have arachnophobia should be warned, the NJ will give them a lot of disturbing material. Liked the dichotomy between vast open spaces / caverns / deep water spots. It's not a horror game, but it feels very naturalistic and the forest really feels like a forest. The atmosphere can be sometimes overwhelming. The weapons are hit and miss for me - there are too many crossbows, and we don't have anything for melee attacks. But you don't have to kill everything, to be able to progress. There is a lot of healing vials and ammo scattered around.

The only similar title that I can think of is Betrayer, where I used many ambient tracks as a custom background music.
I hope to see more from Slid Studio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom